Character Rebalance Plan

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• DTStump
    DTStump Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't think IM40 is the best 3* on defense, at least. Against an AI-controlled IM40, you can usually deny yellow enough to slow down his recharge, get rid of some CDs when he gets there, etc. If you target IM40 first, you don't get punished very often, and since the team is often built around him (4Thor, Lazy Cap...), eliminating IM40 is often crippling. I think he's a very very strong, but balanced, 3*.

Actually I think none of top 3*s (IF, IM40, Switch, Kamala, Cyclops) deserves a nerf. You're always going to have some characters that are better than the rest of the pack, and I think we're lucky to have a situation where the top 3*s are still very fair.

In the 3* tier, I would only consider improving the bottom 10 (based on my own rankings):
    Vision
    Bullseye
    Psylocke
    Doc Oc
    Squirrel Girl
    Spiderman
    Colossus
    Punisher
    Ragnarok
    Sentry

To be even more conservative, IMO the only chars that scream "fix me!" are Psylocke, Spiderman, Colossus, Punisher, Ragnarok and Sentry.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DTStump wrote:
    I don't think IM40 is the best 3* on defense, at least. Against an AI-controlled IM40, you can usually deny yellow enough to slow down his recharge, get rid of some CDs when he gets there, etc. If you target IM40 first, you don't get punished very often, and since the team is often built around him (4Thor, Lazy Cap...), eliminating IM40 is often crippling. I think he's a very very strong, but balanced, 3*.

Actually I think none of top 3*s (IF, IM40, Switch, Kamala, Cyclops) deserves a nerf. You're always going to have some characters that are better than the rest of the pack, and I think we're lucky to have a situation where the top 3*s are still very fair.

In the 3* tier, I would only consider improving the bottom 10 (based on my own rankings):
    Vision
    Bullseye
    Psylocke
    Doc Oc
    Squirrel Girl
    Spiderman
    Colossus
    Punisher
    Ragnarok
    Sentry

To be even more conservative, IMO the only chars that scream "fix me!" are Psylocke, Spiderman, Colossus, Punisher, Ragnarok and Sentry.

I would probably replace Bullseye on that list with either Mystique or Doctor Doom. Doom's trap tiles for his purple power should not be on the same gems as the color of that power. It's just stupid. Poor Mystique has one good color (Blue). Her purple is too expensive and I have about 20 other choices that are better for purple than her. And, her black suffers because of her purple.

I agree with your bare bones "Fix Me!" list. 4 out of the 6 of those happen to be the last 6 3*s I need to champion (replace Spiderman and Rags with Falcon and Vision).
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Today's the day the news should drop, can't wait to see what's what
  • DTStump
    DTStump Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    madsalad wrote:
    I would probably replace Bullseye on that list with either Mystique or Doctor Doom. Doom's trap tiles for his purple power should not be on the same gems as the color of that power. It's just stupid. Poor Mystique has one good color (Blue). Her purple is too expensive and I have about 20 other choices that are better for purple than her. And, her black suffers because of her purple.

I agree with your bare bones "Fix Me!" list. 4 out of the 6 of those happen to be the last 6 3*s I need to champion (replace Spiderman and Rags with Falcon and Vision).

I think Dr. Doom is pretty good when paired with Hood because you can get enough purple AP without aligning your trap tiles (actually, you're doubly encouraged to leave those tiles alone!). And in terms of power level I put him in my top 20 list. I think he's fine as is, even though he's not top tier.

For Mystique, I agree that she could use a boost. I rarely use her.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mystique isn't terrible. Her purple is decent and the combo with black is one of the largest damage dealers in 3* tiers. I don't think she is top tier but she is solidly mid tier and there many more 3* that need addressing in front of her (Ragnarok, Spider Man, Sentry, Vision, Psylocke, Dr. Octopus,...)
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Warbringa wrote:
    Mystique isn't terrible. Her purple is decent and the combo with black is one of the largest damage dealers in 3* tiers. I don't think she is top tier but she is solidly mid tier and there many more 3* that need addressing in front of her (Ragnarok, Spider Man, Sentry, Vision, Psylocke, Dr. Octopus,...)
    The AI seems to play Mystique pretty well. She can be a real **** if she gets going with her AP steal.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    chamber44 wrote:
    The AI seems to play Mystique pretty well. She can be a real **** if she gets going with her AP steal.
    The AI plays here well because it doesn't mind matching blue and purple all day, because it doesn't have to worry about sustaining a grind or a climb. She's way too flimsy for a human player to keep matching the colors she tanks.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    chamber44 wrote:
    The AI plays here well because it doesn't mind matching blue and purple all day, because it doesn't have to worry about sustaining a grind or a climb. She's way too flimsy for a human player to keep matching the colors she tanks.
    The AI plays her well because it always fires purple before black and so you often get hit with that boosted Masterstroke damage.
  • DevilMayGrind
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    chamber44 wrote:
    The AI plays her well because it always fires purple before black and so you often get hit with that boosted Masterstroke damage.

The AI seems to play Mystique pretty well, when she has 2 blue feeders.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    chamber44 wrote:

She's also usually last on the list of targets so she can match and build up AP all day long.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    chamber44 wrote:

The AI seems to play Mystique pretty well, when she has 2 blue feeders.
    make feeders playable.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options
    MrCrowley wrote:
    The problem with only going for buffs to the underpowered characters is that you increase the power level incrementally. Every time you publish a new character who is a bit more powerful, he will eventually drag the other characters up.
    A cycle of powerups may not be a good thing in the end, as it might cause stuff like matches ending sooner. Matches ending sooner makes the game way swingier for many reasons.

People who shield hop could be hit much heavier during the hop if they cant keep up with the speed.
    True, but power creep is always an issue. I would rather them go buff only and do what they did about a year ago, and raise total health across the board to keep the matches from getting too fast.
  • Bishop
    Bishop Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I hope changes doesn't effect a characters fun factor. Phoenix is fun, PX is fun, Kamala, no brainier passives seem to promote fun-to-play with, like OML (maybe we're lazy)..Combos are fun. I don't want everything turning into punchy offense characters like HB, and LukeC. Or whatever Cho is trying to do! "I can't heal, I cant even hit like a hulk..I just want to be awesome! Oh oh I managed to heal now I loose a turn too".
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sentry, Rags and Cho are the only ones who need seriously a buff.

Make Cho so that his hotdogstand either heals a lot more or triggers with more blue around
    Sentry could do less damage to team mates with Supernova and more damage to enemy
    Rags... I don't know. More damage with green attack perhaps

I don't mind if you could rework Spider-man so that it does damage too but seriously it is a great support character as it is now and works in a 4* tier too.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    madsalad wrote:
    I'd would rather see them give slightly less AP then auto stun at point of use. Invariably when I launch his Yellow, once or twice, 75% of the time two of his three CDs will be matched away before coming to fruition.

No offense intended, but you might be doing it wrong. Only launch the recharge when there aren't any yellow matches on the board. You might still lose them to a cascade or a tile destruction ability (which you should know is coming, and can avoid if you wait a turn), but that's not 75%.

I estimate 90% success on all 3 (or 6) going through.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Options
    mckauhu wrote:
    Sentry, Rags and Cho are the only ones who need seriously a buff.

Make Cho so that his hotdogstand either heals a lot more or triggers with more blue around....

Did you miss this?
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51357

Noticed after posting icon_e_biggrin.gif