Character Rebalance Plan

Options

Comments

• Leugenesmiff
    Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I hope they don't mess with the GSBW, SW, Prof X combo. In fact, what I'd really like to see is them make the effort to make more characters with powers that form cool teams like this that provided different ways to play the game. What I find coolest about this combo is that it, in a way, changes up the basic gameplay. Instead of just clearing tiles for AP you're actively trying to build match 5s and it definitely has brought more excitement to the game ever since I got my Prof X to a playable state a few months ago.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I hope they don't mess with the GSBW, SW, Prof X combo. In fact, what I'd really like to see is them make the effort to make more characters with powers that form cool teams like this that provided different ways to play the game. What I find coolest about this combo is that it, in a way, changes up the basic gameplay. Instead of just clearing tiles for AP you're actively trying to build match 5s and it definitely has brought more excitement to the game ever since I got my Prof X to a playable state a few months ago.
    "Winfinite" as a mechanic is undesirable, but the unbearably slow speed of this particular combo I think might make it safe from being nerfed. It's also mostly useless in PvP because it's so terrible on defense.
  • tizian2015
    tizian2015 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Two real quick rebalances: Unnerf the (2*s and) 3*s! Give Vision his "bluebug" back.
  • GritsNGravy
    GritsNGravy Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I said it last time and I'll say it again, having to fully sell your nerfed character REALLY sucks, especially for collectors. If you nerf 5* and 4* characters the time it will take to collect their covers again is too big of an ask of your player base while *you* fix *your* balancing problems.

There needs to be a way to "delevel" (reset them back to min level but keep their 13 covers) a nerfed character instead of just selling them out right.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I said it last time and I'll say it again, having to fully sell your nerfed character REALLY sucks, especially for collectors. If you nerf 5* and 4* characters the time it will take to collect their covers again is too big of an ask of your player base while *you* fix *your* balancing problems.

There needs to be a way to "delevel" (reset them back to min level but keep their 13 covers) a nerfed character instead of just selling them out right.

I don't understand what's driving this request. What is the advantage in keeping them on your roster at a weaker level?
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options

I don't understand what's driving this request. What is the advantage in keeping them on your roster at a weaker level?
    Not having to collect 13 covers again?

For a character not nerfed into uselessness (but you still are not happy with how the changed version plays), it might still be desirable for someone to get the ISO invested back - to apply it somewhere else, and level the old character just enough to be able to beat CotT, for instance...

And besides, for a true collector, I should think there's no such thing as "a useless character" anyway... icon_e_smile.gif
  • Esheris
    Esheris Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So the characters I've put over a year of my time and love into...are going to be nerfed.

* Do you even think or care about your playerbase.

Yes, bring up the bad characters but do not nerf anything.

*Admin edited to remove insult. Insults do not belong in comments.
    Forum rules can be found here
    : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I know that many, many characters need full reworks and perhaps it will take a few cycles to get through them. However, I hope once most of that is done, they start looking at single powers by themselves. There are several characters that are fine as a package but have one outrageously bad or plain useless power (The Bigger They Are, Kick Out The Jams, Medical Marvel, Mjolnir's Might, etc) that could be given new life with an interesting, not necessarily game-changing new power. It'd be almost like when Loki, Dr Doom and a few others were given a third power.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ronin-san wrote:
    It's always been that characters who are no longer making the dev money + extremely common usage in high scoring PvP sessions = nerf bait.

Example:
    Thorverine in 2* land....
    Thorverine in 4* land....
    3* Mags and Spidey in 3* Land....
    Sentry in 3* land....

Devs. It's just business doesn't fly. Buff instead of nerf.

What you should be targetting is a Buff on characters no-one's using, EG 5* Cap, 4* Cho, 3* Punisher, Psylocke, Drax, 5* Widow, Surfer, Star-Lord, Devil Dino, or XFW.

Yes. XFW. Let people choose their targets with his green. Even 3* characters like GSBW and Hood get to choose where they hit, and he's a 4*!!!! Bump him to 13K health, let me choose where his greenflag.png (centers, no ability tile selection), and he's relevant again.

Also maybe bump up his Green damage back to where it belongs...
  • stewbacca
    stewbacca Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm not worried about the pvp Nerf I'm more worried about the scaling being affected for pve because of my 13 cover oml.
  • richterbelmont10
    Options
    My only regret is I wish I had a chance to use these characters before they get nerfed.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Calnexin wrote:
    As a player, it would be nice to have the option to roster the new characters automatically. But remember - you need roster slots for them, and they affect scaling. It would make the game unplayable for newbies.

That might be a good revenue maker for the game, though. If everyone gets a cover it might drive HP sales. FTP players tend to generate just enough to roster one when it's randomly drawn. To get every character I've missed would've cost me 4k HP that I don't currently have.

This is not like with a 5*, hardly anybody would suffer too badly from scaling for too long if they got a 4* with each new release, they only start at level 70 after all.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tizian2015 wrote:
    Two real quick rebalances: Unnerf the (2*s and) 3*s! Give Vision his "bluebug" back.

It isn't just the Vision's powers that need changing, all the tank certain colours powers are horribly flawed as they mostly result in characters being useless in a developed roster except for maybe when they are boosted, if those powers are too powerful to be working all the time on their required colours then reduce the effect slightly to compensate.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Today I pulled a TA Hulk from the Gauntlet pack...

And I liked it. icon_twisted.gif
  • Uber303
    Uber303 Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    I don't think adding new 2 or 3 * chars is a good idea. Currently for the intermediate bracket it's difficult to get the hp to roster new characters, esp when haven't get essentials, so it's just going to drain more resources and hold everyone back
  • Uber303
    Options
    And disagree with nerfing characters that tank, they're useful powers and make combos more effective.
  • Uber303
    Options
    Also visions blue does need reworking, as I said go back to team match damage just not as powerful as it was before he got nerfed imo
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Devs sometimes surprise me. This rebalance changes is something I have asked explicitly more than once, I have always thought this is how it should be (in almost any other game is like this), so I should be happy!, but this 'empty' announcement and previous precedents of 'rebalances' scare me.

The worst (for now) for me is the announcement per-se, why do this announcement without saying which are the first batch of characters? This was a really bad idea. Now you have a lot of people thinking the worst possibilities (we always think the worst) are the ones that are going to come true (We all think "Oh my god, all my best chars are going to be nerfed"). Maybe in this first batch there is just the Iceman nerf (this one seems 'confirmed') and all the other changes are buffs. But we don't know!!! So we speculate during days, and make things probably much worse than what reality is going to be (I really hope so). So this announcement doesn't help AT ALL, it just makes things worse, and lowers 'morale'.

It is great for Devs to communicate with us, but I think It would have been much better to wait until Monday so we could have the announcement + list of first batch of characters to be rebalanced.
  • Uber303
    Options
    Totally agree that they shouldn't mess with the combos that are already a part of the game, they're what make it fun. Totally a better idea to revamp characters that aren't being used so they have more compatibility for combos.

Definitely add more to the game rather than remove parts of it that are already fun, players spend a lot of time and resources (and cash) to build their roster to make those combos usable, taking that playability away will just lose a large fanbase
  • Uber303
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    Devs sometimes surprise me. This rebalance changes is something I have asked explicitly more than once, I have always thought this is how it should be (in almost any other game is like this), so I should be happy!, but this 'empty' announcement and previous precedents of 'rebalances' scare me.

The worst (for now) for me is the announcement per-se, why do this announcement without saying which are the first batch of characters? This was a really bad idea. Now you have a lot of people thinking the worst possibilities (we always think the worst) are the ones that are going to come true (We all think "Oh my god, all my best chars are going to be nerfed"). Maybe in this first batch there is just the Iceman nerf (this one seems 'confirmed') and all the other changes are buffs. But we don't know!!! So we speculate during days, and make things probably much worse than what reality is going to be (I really hope so). So this announcement doesn't help AT ALL, it just makes things worse, and lowers 'morale'.

It is great for Devs to communicate with us, but I think It would have been much better to wait until Monday so we could have the announcement + list of first batch of characters to be rebalanced.
    Not really I think it's wise to put the feelers out there first and listen to their player base. Researching your market is always a good idea before implementing things that will effect everyone's gameplay.