Character Rebalance Plan

Options

Comments

• ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The big complaint against IM40 comes from the fact he can harvest HEAPS of AP for 12 yellow spent. If he auto-stunned himself when he fired the ability (and placed the timer tiles), it'd be all the fix he needs. Stopping people from getting nearly 30 red and 30 blue for 12 yellow and 2 turns is fix enough.

Frankly, he's still not a threat. The boosted 4's of the week still have their way with IM40, because he's too squishy to be a "skip".
  • Sandwichboy
    Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
    Options
    ronin-san wrote:
    The big complaint against IM40 comes from the fact he can harvest HEAPS of AP for 12 yellow spent. If he auto-stunned himself when he fired the ability (and placed the timer tiles), it'd be all the fix he needs. Stopping people from getting nearly 30 red and 30 blue for 12 yellow and 2 turns is fix enough.

Frankly, he's still not a threat. The boosted 4's of the week still have their way with IM40, because he's too squishy to be a "skip".

Absolutely. He's immensely useful on a rapid climb or shield hop, but the minute you're fully visible he's got one hell of a big target painted on his back. He's been a massive help for my 1k climbs, but he IS still a 3* in a 4-5* meta game.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If I was doing the rebalancing then this first round would have no nerfs in it at all, address the biggest needs on the buff sides first improving the real duds and upping the health on the ones that are excessively **** in that area.

It takes too long in this game for players to get characters with a usable amount of covers due to the idiotic level of RNG in the game and leveling them takes even longer with the scarcity of iso, so they should desperately try to avoid nerfing anything that isn't gamebreaking and with 5*'s in the game there clearly isn't anything fitting that bill in 4* or below.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Firstly d3 gave no clue as to how they will change things but let's take the most recent example (and therefore the most valid) of character changes....I think we can all agree that every character they changed (vision, im40, qs) are all better.
    Those were buffs. When was the last time anyone cheered for a nerf? Trust me, no one's going to cheer these either...

Ummm did I miss the d3 message which said " well will be giving massive nerfs to all your favourite characters"?

Pretty sure they said balancing. Which can mean improvements to poor characters, reductions to great ones or simply changing a character mechanic to be different. You're being a tad too presumptuous
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Firstly d3 gave no clue as to how they will change things but let's take the most recent example (and therefore the most valid) of character changes....I think we can all agree that every character they changed (vision, im40, qs) are all better.
    Those were buffs. When was the last time anyone cheered for a nerf? Trust me, no one's going to cheer these either...

Ummm did I miss the d3 message which said " well will be giving massive nerfs to all your favourite characters"?

Pretty sure they said balancing. Which can mean improvements to poor characters, reductions to great ones or simply changing a character mechanic to be different. You're being a tad too presumptuous
    No you're the one being presumptuous when you assume I'm talking out of my ****. I know what they're going to be doing, and the 4* nerfs seem unnecessary to me. Won't affect my gameplay, but once again they're looking to fix stuff that ain't broken.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ronin-san wrote:

You don't need boosted 4-stars to fight him. Fighting IM40, you just know where your priorities are: don't let him get 6 yellow. Put him with Hood and Red Hulk, and that's a harder one to figure priorities. Probably still Hood first, because he's a tiny little squishy worm. Just don't plan on ever getting to use green.
  • cardoor
    cardoor Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    Options
    4* are way too much work to champion and none of them are powerful enough to warrant a nerf. I have spent ISO carefully on 4*. I will wait and see what happens, but if a nerf changes a character too substantially, then I stop wasting my effort.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have an addition (and I think fair request) on any character receiving changes.

UNLIMITED & FREE RESPEC FOR ~2 WEEKS AFTER THE ADJUSTMENT

Obviously, a lot of people will already have these characters championed. But if you have a level 200 4* that you used an extra cover or two on to get the right build, and the right build changes... I think you need to let those players change it. And don't make it a 1-time respec, let them try different builds for a set period of time.

After all, the goal is to make more characters useful... don't handicap a player by adjusting a character and leaving him with a less than optimal build.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Daily Crash.
    5 CP reward.
    Make it happen.
  • richterbelmont10
    Options
    So I just got another Invisible Woman cover. Do I dump her as usual or keep her in the hopes she will get better?
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So I just got another Invisible Woman cover. Do I dump her as usual or keep her in the hopes she will get better?

Me too. She's level 200 with 13 covers, and I don't think I'll have enough iso to champ her in time whatever I do. If they don't change her, it wouldn't be a good use of the ISO anyway. I'll keep her cover till it's about to expire, and see if the announcement on Monday makes her more interesting.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    With Mr. Fantastic and SG bring the rewards for the next PvE, is there a chance these two might be balanced for Monday?
  • ChuckFan
    ChuckFan Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    How about giving BagMan a gimmick skill, like something hard to pull off, but if you manage to get it, then he does big damage or instantly KOs an opponent? icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Quebbster
    Options
    ChuckFan wrote:
    How about giving BagMan a gimmick skill, like something hard to pull off, but if you manage to get it, then he does big damage or instantly KOs an opponent? icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Like Venom used to have? I don't Think the devs want to go in that direction...
  • MrCrowley
    MrCrowley Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Options
    The problem with only going for buffs to the underpowered characters is that you increase the power level incrementally. Every time you publish a new character who is a bit more powerful, he will eventually drag the other characters up.
    A cycle of powerups may not be a good thing in the end, as it might cause stuff like matches ending sooner. Matches ending sooner makes the game way swingier for many reasons.

People who shield hop could be hit much heavier during the hop if they cant keep up with the speed.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    MrCrowley wrote:
    People who shield hop could be hit much heavier during the hop if they cant keep up with the speed.
    That was a huge problem during the Sentrybombing era. Games Went so fast that if you were unshielded for too long you were bound to get hit hard. Really got the heart racing.
    Of course back then there was no shield cooldown, so there was Little reason to not shield as often as you could...
  • MrCrowley
    MrCrowley Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Options
    The "little" reason is cash mostly. A moderate shield use buying some hp is ok for me. I can see many people giving up even trying if you have to put a lot of cash in just to get your progression rewards.

Anyway, the point I was going for is that usually balancing works best with minor nerfs to the most poweful characters and moderate buffs to the bottom end. You dont have to try to "fix it for good". Instead it is better to go incrementally and see if the behaviour of the players and the choice of characters changes.

The hard part is that the good characters are usually the most used also because that is what people spent the resources on. The only measure in success of the balancing is to see if a particular boosted character gets more play. It might not get more play if it is not boosted over the "baseline" like IM40. If it is still average, nobody will bother champing it and playing it.

I would like to see a possibility of "discount leveling" some characters up. Perhaps a small buff and a discount on leveling for that character for a season or so. If you would give a 20-50% discount on leveling something, he might get played eventually? Doing so for 3s would not hurt the game too bad in terms of advancement.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    did they announce any more details yet?
  • Quebbster
    Options
    ammenell wrote:
    did they announce any more details yet?
    It's supposed to happen today, but as far as I know the dev team is on US West Coast time, which is... 4AM right now. It will probably be a few hours Before they have woken up, gotten into office and had their coffee. Then there may be an announcement.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ronin-san wrote:

Please don't give them any ideas.

I'd would rather see them give slightly less AP then auto stun at point of use. Invariably when I launch his Yellow, once or twice, 75% of the time two of his three CDs will be matched away before coming to fruition.