Character Rebalance Plan

Options

Comments

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Uber303 wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    Devs sometimes surprise me. This rebalance changes is something I have asked explicitly more than once, I have always thought this is how it should be (in almost any other game is like this), so I should be happy!, but this 'empty' announcement and previous precedents of 'rebalances' scare me.

The worst (for now) for me is the announcement per-se, why do this announcement without saying which are the first batch of characters? This was a really bad idea. Now you have a lot of people thinking the worst possibilities (we always think the worst) are the ones that are going to come true (We all think "Oh my god, all my best chars are going to be nerfed"). Maybe in this first batch there is just the Iceman nerf (this one seems 'confirmed') and all the other changes are buffs. But we don't know!!! So we speculate during days, and make things probably much worse than what reality is going to be (I really hope so). So this announcement doesn't help AT ALL, it just makes things worse, and lowers 'morale'.

It is great for Devs to communicate with us, but I think It would have been much better to wait until Monday so we could have the announcement + list of first batch of characters to be rebalanced.
    Not really I think it's wise to put the feelers out there first and listen to their player base. Researching your market is always a good idea before implementing things that will effect everyone's gameplay.

But they are going to announce the list on Monday, do you think they are going to change anybody from that list based on anything that has been said here these days ?

If we see what they did with all the other nerfs, they have never listened to people about this particular thing (4hor is a very obvious case, or even xforce green), they have their reasons and their vision of the game and they just implement it. So, I don't really think anything that we have said these days will make Devs change anything. I think they already know how we feel about nerfs.

And I think it is much different to nerf Ragnarok, Classic Magneto or Sentry that where basically destroying the game and forcing you to always use them (as much as I loved playing with Mags, they were obviously broken), than nerfing Iceman, which is probably the best 4, but it is no way broken.
  • Gmax101
    Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Very concerned about the criteria they are going to use if they contemplate nerfs...

Each tier invalidates the one below it... so 2* only get used in DDQ and as essentials once your 3* are up and running, and then once 4* are up and running the 3* go the same why bar some utility characters.

Equally, mid tier characters that are well covered by the player base are artificially showing much higher usage than their effectiveness would warrant. Making them appear "Nerf" worthy

Buffs are much easier to justify... especially at the lower tiers where the availability of the covers is much better. If nobody uses Doc Ock then there is something wrong with him, as in PVE there are several matches where he is theoretically strong... plenty of enemy tiles to match or manipulate away. But every character has a theoretical niche, so if they don't get used then either that situation is uncommon or they are simply not good enough.
  • Suddenreal
    Suddenreal Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Options
    Gmax101 wrote:
    Each tier invalidates the one below it... so 2* only get used in DDQ and as essentials once your 3* are up and running, and then once 4* are up and running the 3* go the same why bar some utility characters.

That's not tier, that's rarity. Please do not confuse the two as one is natural progression and the other the power level within that rarity.
  • BariusRad
    Options
    Developers are required to make the following changes:

1. Mr. Fantastic - more damage and damage must be AOE! He is the Leader of the Fantastic Four and his strength very large in comparison with other. He is level is definitely 5 stars.

2. Amadeus Cho - more damage, moку regeneration. People want to see him so strong as in the comics.

3. Drax - must be much stronger.

4. Silver Surfer - more damage on red and must be damage on black too!

5. Old Man Logan - reduce regeneration, he's already old!

6. Magneto and Doctor Doom only 3 stars? Really? They were among the first who must be 5 stars!

7. More health for The Hood.

8. OK, LOKI is the GOD! He is need more health, and he is need BIG DAMAGE with Loki's Sceptre!

9. XF Wolverine - make passive his Recovery just like 3 stars Wolv.

10. Sentry - just more damage.

11. Carnage - make attack tiles to the side of opponents and then it will be more popular character.

12. Professor X - more health.

13. Devil Dino - MORE DAMAGE!

14. Star Lord - give him a passive skill.

15. Jean Grey Phoenix - more damage on red.

16. Spidey and Cap 5 stars - the weakest of 5 stars.

17. Spider Man 3 stars - where is damage?

18. Spider Gwen - change her red power.

19. Ragnarok - more red damage.

20. look at all this great attention.
  • Uber303
    Uber303 Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    Uber303 wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    Devs sometimes surprise me. This rebalance changes is something I have asked explicitly more than once, I have always thought this is how it should be (in almost any other game is like this), so I should be happy!, but this 'empty' announcement and previous precedents of 'rebalances' scare me.

The worst (for now) for me is the announcement per-se, why do this announcement without saying which are the first batch of characters? This was a really bad idea. Now you have a lot of people thinking the worst possibilities (we always think the worst) are the ones that are going to come true (We all think "Oh my god, all my best chars are going to be nerfed"). Maybe in this first batch there is just the Iceman nerf (this one seems 'confirmed') and all the other changes are buffs. But we don't know!!! So we speculate during days, and make things probably much worse than what reality is going to be (I really hope so). So this announcement doesn't help AT ALL, it just makes things worse, and lowers 'morale'.

It is great for Devs to communicate with us, but I think It would have been much better to wait until Monday so we could have the announcement + list of first batch of characters to be rebalanced.
    Not really I think it's wise to put the feelers out there first and listen to their player base. Researching your market is always a good idea before implementing things that will effect everyone's gameplay.

But they are going to announce the list on Monday, do you think they are going to change anybody from that list based on anything that has been said here these days ?

If we see what they did with all the other nerfs, they have never listened to people about this particular thing (4hor is a very obvious case, or even xforce green), they have their reasons and their vision of the game and they just implement it. So, I don't really think anything that we have said these days will make Devs change anything. I think they already know how we feel about nerfs.

And I think it is much different to nerf Ragnarok, Classic Magneto or Sentry that where basically destroying the game and forcing you to always use them (as much as I loved playing with Mags, they were obviously broken), than nerfing Iceman, which is probably the best 4, but it is no way broken.
    Well yes I'd have thought they'd have announced the list once they've got the valuable feedback they need from players about the characters that mostly need reworking. They haven't implemented anything so it's not too late for the devs to change their minds of what they originally intended, going on the feedback they've recieved.

I'm still don't know why it's a really bad idea to get feedback first before issuing a list of the invitable changes
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I said it last time and I'll say it again, having to fully sell your nerfed character REALLY sucks, especially for collectors. If you nerf 5* and 4* characters the time it will take to collect their covers again is too big of an ask of your player base while *you* fix *your* balancing problems.

There needs to be a way to "delevel" (reset them back to min level but keep their 13 covers) a nerfed character instead of just selling them out right.

Last night on the Discord server, we got some insight into that being more difficult than it sounds. And even if it went onto the slate yesterday, it likely wouldn't be into the game before new year's.
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Pls only BUFFS , no NERFS ....

One can only hope icon_e_wink.gif
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    BariusRad wrote:
    16. Spidey and Cap 5 stars - the weakest of 5 stars.

Those using both would vehemently disagree with the former here.
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I said it last time and I'll say it again, having to fully sell your nerfed character REALLY sucks, especially for collectors. If you nerf 5* and 4* characters the time it will take to collect their covers again is too big of an ask of your player base while *you* fix *your* balancing problems.
    If you are even considering selling a maxed character, then you aren't a collector. You're a competitor, someone who only cares about having the best characters maxed. A collector isn't even going to consider a buy-back rate, because it doesn't matter; they want all the characters anyway.

As a collector myself, I plan to eventually max everyone. Want proof? See my level 272 Star-Lord. He may be universally reviled on the forums, but man have I been having fun with him boosted in the Gauntlet. Play him with SWitch and Captain Falcon, for accelerated purple and countdown tiles, and that's a really fun time (10K damage + 3K AOE for purple, 14K damage for red). If he gets a rework, great -- the countdown tiles don't work well for PVP (maybe they'd make them fortified at level 5, like War Machine's?). If not, no big deal; I'll still have fun with him in PVE.

The only 4* I have been really reluctant to put ISO into is Cho, because his mechanics make no sense (green needs blue for extra damage, but you need to use blue to create blue charged tiles -- but it also destroys the green on the board that you need, and if there's too much blue on the board he can't heal, and when he does heal he stuns himself? What?) I think he's by far the 4* that needs the most rebalancing/fixing.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I would suggest for the first round, do buffs. For the second round, do more buffs. See what happens, see how the game shifts around, THEN make decisions regarding if/what nerfs are needed.

I think some of us are still suffering from bad memories of nerfs, and then watching subsequent new character releases and general power creep leave our old favorites behind. That just leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Buff first, then see if nerfs are needed after, pretty please?
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    Options
    freakygeek wrote:
    Worse, after the nerfs the power creep was such that they would no longer have needed the nerfs.
    freakygeek wrote:
    Worse, after the nerfs the power creep was such that they would no longer have needed the nerfs.
    freakygeek wrote:
    freakygeek wrote:
    freakygeek wrote:

Nevermind me, I just can't seem to agree with this enough.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Frankly, I'm terrified all we will see are significant nerfs to top tier characters. Outside of the IM40 buff, it's what they've done in the past.
    The buffs we will get will be minimal, at the level of the almost unnoticeable one Captain Falcon got several months ago, and the Quicksilver one. Quicksilver is only good when boosted, and didn't change the 3-Star power rankings at all.

We simply do not know if a max Moon Knight, Winter Soldier, or War Machine will supplant any of the mostly agreed upon top 5 4-Star characters (4Clops, Iceman, Red Hulk, Jean Grey, Hulkbuster) in the power rankings because they are so rarely maxed, let alone highly covered to be usable. That's not even including the ones that have most recently been released either (though Spider Woman looks weak and could use a buff).
    The issue of accessibility & usability (I'm not going to put ISO into a 4-Star with less than 6 covers when I have others that are near cover max) is a huge one when looking at use metrics.

The obvious 4-Stars that need a buff are Totally Terrible Hulk, Spider-Gwen, Mr. Fantastic, & Star-Lord at a minimum. Captain Falcon, Elektra, Xforce, & Lady Thor are probably in that next tier. Again, the last 5 to 6 4-Star releases I have no idea how good they are cause I don't get covers for them. Kate Bishop, Punisher Max, & Spider Woman don't look that great, and even Nova is kinda meh, but I simply don't know due to accessibility.
    Gotta love game progression that is 100% RNG...

Still being in 3* land transitioning to 4*, I was horrified to see how much damage Moon Knight did in the Gauntlet to my boosted champed 3*. Both his damage powers were able to one shot kill my boosted 3* near the same level of that he was at. I think one of his powers did 13000 some damage. What amazed me was that my 3* were only about 10 levels lower than he was at the time. I have a feeling the new 4* like him will be good but...there just hasn't been enough time to see their play significantly increased since they are newer 4*.
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I've seen debates around buffs and nerfs in practically every MMO I've been into. From the stand point of the developers, buff is always more difficult to implement because there are always unintended effects. Players always find unexpected ways to play a character, and a simple buff can spiral out of hand especially if players find a synergy for that buff with other character(s). Nerf is much simpler, cut down some "excess" power and, bum!, the axed character will fall out of favor. Hopefully, the nerfed character will still find some use even in niche situation.

So, yeah. Nerfing is a fact of life of online games. Buffs are miracles. Miracles do happen, just don't depend on it for your life.
  • GiantKiller2p
    Options
    "re-balancing" is far too broad for me to unequivocally support. Too often "re-balancing" means knee-jerk overreactions to a vocal minority of players (see, for example, basically every balance change blizzard has ever made to its non-starcraft titles).

If you're leaning toward buffing under-powered characters, I'm all for that.

If you're leaning toward nerfing characters you consider overpowered, I'm strongly against that for many reasons including time investment, cover/iso availability, confirmation bias, etc.

If you are basing these decisions solely on use metric data (i.e. how often is this character played), I think you're doing it wrong, as players don't have nearly enough access to covers/iso to make that a useful metric.

I'd also like to see any rebalances done in small, incremental changes. Please don't castrate any more characters like poor x-force wolvie.

In summation: buffs, not nerfs. Small, incremental changes. Pretty please.

-GK
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I said it in the poll topic and I'll say it again here: Nobody in the 4* tier is overpowered enough to warrant a full reworking or Sentry-style nerf bat. There are very very strong 4* characters, yes -- icon_jeangrey.pngicon_iceman.pngicon_redhulk.pngicon_cyclops.png etc -- but they are all within the same range of very very strong. No one of them is gamebreakingly better than the others, and any one of them can be beaten by any other at a similar level. If every 4* character was on par with them, that would be fine. There is no current equivalent to 3* Magneto or Sentry/Hood[/Daken] or X-Force/Thor at their respective peaks.
  • Peej13
    Peej13 Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm okay with them deleting red hulk entirely, just so we never have to deal with his all-too-common boosts ever again.

He's awful to play against, awful to use.
  • richterbelmont10
    Options
    I'm only halfway in 3* land so I can only comment on those:

1. Daredevil - His best ability is red Ambush trap and half the time it either doesn't go off, get's disarmed or destroyed, or goes into a corner where you will never see it again. I've tried using Loki to shuffle the board and activate his trap tiles but it's hardly worth it. I'd say give us the ability to select where to place his trap tile.

2. Hulk - you would think Hulk's Smash would be amazing, but instead it deals a laughable amount of damage and hurts your own team half the time. Make his red better.

3. She-Hulk - make her Blue steal more tiles, increase Red damage, and make her green steal a couple AP.

4. Punisher - his damage is a joke. He needs a complete overhaul.

5. Capt. Marvel - she's terrible. If you're not fighting someone who puts out a ton of protect tiles (ie: CMags, Falcon) then she's even more useless. The enemy strike tile she puts out annoys me.

6. Spider-Man - never bothered rostering him since he deals no damage. Not even board shaking. He's slightly annoying to fight against, boring to use.

7. Beast - meh

8. Psylocke - pointless, just like she was in the movie X-Men Apocalypse. Give the user the option of which AP color to steal with Bewilder. The damage from her other two powers badly needs to be increased.

9. Doc Oc - I like this character, but would like to see him deal just a bit more damage.
  • Uber303
    Uber303 Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    Warbringa wrote:
    Frankly, I'm terrified all we will see are significant nerfs to top tier characters. Outside of the IM40 buff, it's what they've done in the past.
    The buffs we will get will be minimal, at the level of the almost unnoticeable one Captain Falcon got several months ago, and the Quicksilver one. Quicksilver is only good when boosted, and didn't change the 3-Star power rankings at all.

We simply do not know if a max Moon Knight, Winter Soldier, or War Machine will supplant any of the mostly agreed upon top 5 4-Star characters (4Clops, Iceman, Red Hulk, Jean Grey, Hulkbuster) in the power rankings because they are so rarely maxed, let alone highly covered to be usable. That's not even including the ones that have most recently been released either (though Spider Woman looks weak and could use a buff).
    The issue of accessibility & usability (I'm not going to put ISO into a 4-Star with less than 6 covers when I have others that are near cover max) is a huge one when looking at use metrics.

The obvious 4-Stars that need a buff are Totally Terrible Hulk, Spider-Gwen, Mr. Fantastic, & Star-Lord at a minimum. Captain Falcon, Elektra, Xforce, & Lady Thor are probably in that next tier. Again, the last 5 to 6 4-Star releases I have no idea how good they are cause I don't get covers for them. Kate Bishop, Punisher Max, & Spider Woman don't look that great, and even Nova is kinda meh, but I simply don't know due to accessibility.
    Gotta love game progression that is 100% RNG...

Still being in 3* land transitioning to 4*, I was horrified to see how much damage Moon Knight did in the Gauntlet to my boosted champed 3*. Both his damage powers were able to one shot kill my boosted 3* near the same level of that he was at. I think one of his powers did 13000 some damage. What amazed me was that my 3* were only about 10 levels lower than he was at the time. I have a feeling the new 4* like him will be good but...there just hasn't been enough time to see their play significantly increased since they are newer 4*.

if that's the case wait until you have moonknight fully covered and boosted then enjoy!
    Is see that as an incentive to build that character rather than a crushing defeat.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'll respond to this, coloring my responses in blue. You age is showing.

I'm only halfway in 3* land so I can only comment on those:

1. Daredevil - His best ability is red Ambush trap and half the time it either doesn't go off, get's disarmed or destroyed, or goes into a corner where you will never see it again. I've tried using Loki to shuffle the board and activate his trap tiles but it's hardly worth it. I'd say give us the ability to select where to place his trap tile.He simply needs Doom's purple; that it can't be overwritten by red ability tiles. That'd help him a ton.

2. Hulk - you would think Hulk's Smash would be amazing, but instead it deals a laughable amount of damage and hurts your own team half the time. Make his red better. His red needs to do flat-plus-splash for every red in inventory, or every green on the board. Fixed. If you go green, it claps away the greens he angrily created. If you go red, it destroys them to deal extra damage.

3. She-Hulk - make her Blue steal more tiles, increase Red damage, and make her green steal a couple AP. She-Hulk's blue is absolutely stupid. It does NOTHING to some teams, and gets destroyed by her underpowered, clumsy red. I get it; it's a grumpy smash. But it would be better if the damage was upped, or if you could center the attack around a tile of your choosing.

4. Punisher - his damage is a joke. He needs a complete overhaul.No. He doesn't. He needs his black damage increased, and needs to be able to select where his green lands. END.

5. Capt. Marvel - she's terrible. If you're not fighting someone who puts out a ton of protect tiles (ie: CMags, Falcon) then she's even more useless. The enemy strike tile she puts out annoys me.The @#% she is!!! Her red is costed down, because if it dealt too much damage, people would be crying for it to be nerfed. Frankly, she just needs to be able to baby-nerf enemy ability tiles like Teen Jean's Purple. Keep it single target. Raise it to 8AP. Let it destroy 1, 3, 5 abilities per 1, 3, 5 covers. Raise the damage by a couple hundred. Suddenly she's awesome.

6. Spider-Man - never bothered rostering him since he deals no damage. Not even board shaking. He's slightly annoying to fight against, boring to use.Maybe you're not familiar with support classes. He, Hood, Loki have a place in the game. He needs his yellow to be tuned up, because Beast's yellow is much better. Maybe he ripostes if x protect tiles are in play, or heals and removes protect tiles instead of web?

7. Beast - mehBeast's incredible. He does Hulk-grade clap to everyone on the enemy team AND destroys 8 tiles if even one friendly blue ability tile is present. That means protect, strike, attack, timer - any of them make him do double damage, destroys tiles like Hulk does, for one AP less spent. You are underappreciating how good he is.

8. Psylocke - pointless, just like she was in the movie X-Men Apocalypse. Give the user the option of which AP color to steal with Bewilder. The damage from her other two powers badly needs to be increased.Bewilder needs a repercussion if it is destroyed. And she needs a kicker if she downs an enemy; maybe some sort of psychic feedback on herself. Her black and red need recosted and tuned.

9. Doc Oc - I like this character, but would like to see him deal just a bit more damage.
    He's actually better than you think. He's both good and bad, be it against or with Carnage. His colors and prevalence of green AoE in 3* land is the reason you don't see him more.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just hope if they swing the nerf bat at icon_iceman.png they don't swing it too hard. I've been steadily picking up covers for him over the last month or two, getting excited at bringing him up to join the ranks of the champions, and today I pulled his 13th token, and I'm not excited.
    This saddens me.