'Grandfathered' Iso Exploit *Updated (08/31/16)

Comments

• pribian
    pribian Posts: 16
    We appreciate the community's effort in keeping the game fair and fun for everyone.

Because it sure seems like the devs have zero concern for this...
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    question, when can I safely update my back up device?
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    fmftint wrote:

Should be fine. Update away.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    thanks for the quick reply
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    So if I understand the update correctly players that encountered the bug through no fault of their own get to keep their extra iso?

I know I am being petty, but that is a little upsetting. We need a lot of iso in this game and the bonus from the shield ranking system was sorely needed, but a minority of players are getting a huge score while the rest of us are left to be envious that we weren't lucky enough to encounter the error.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    fmftint wrote:

So I updated my back up device, and I got the ISO again. Open a ticket, or just go off updated post in original post?
  • CHRISJN
    CHRISJN Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    I still havent updated the app in my samsung tab s, and only playing in my samsung note 4. Not going to do so until this issue is resolve. Im already nearing level 66 and dont want to reset back everything to 65 , plus raising the ticket for CS on what actions they need to do if i got the shield rank iso reward twice.
    Thanks for the updates here.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    lukewin wrote:
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    fmftint wrote:

So I updated my back up device, and I got the ISO again. Open a ticket, or just go off updated post in original post?

Reading between the lines I would say that if you only get the iso twice then you're golden, it's yours to do what you wish with it. Get it more than twice and you may have to start answering some questions. For all those who only received the iso once, we'll bad luck chaps. I would also imagine this case is now closed and will be swept under the rug.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    I fully expect the same "solution" as they had for the token reroll exploit:
    Claim that things have been fixed, claim exploiters have been dealt with, move on.
    I'd like to be pleasantly surprised, but it's the only realistic way to deal with this.
    Called it.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Claim that things have been fixed, claim exploiters have been dealt with, move on.
    I'd like to be pleasantly surprised, but it's the only realistic way to deal with this.
    Called it.
    Yeah, but under the circumstances, with those numbers, I'd have done the exact same thing in their shoes.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Called it.
    Yeah, but under the circumstances, with those numbers, I'd have done the exact same thing in their shoes.
    Yeah as I said, it was the only thing they could do.
  • As a paying customer, yes I am gutted that I didn't get another $1,000+ worth of iso for free.

However, as a player, I am definitely happy i got any grandfathered rewards, and happier still that the majority of those players where this bug occurred were not penalised, i.e. they were not treated as deliberate sneaks trying to exploit the game.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Called it.
    Yeah as I said, it was the only thing they could do.

What they really need to do is not penalise the only group of players that definitely didn't intend to benefit from this bug by giving out a second lot of iso to those people that only got one lot.
  • As it appears to be that simple to see who did this by mistake and who did this to exploit it. Do the people that did neither not get anything at all in return? I hate to sound bitter; but that is the equivalent of £800+ in iso.
  • Saintsfanuk
    Saintsfanuk Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    So next time there is a bug like this, we all need to quickly exploit it once, say we didn't mean to and it was an accident and we'll be fine.... noted.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    .4% of the total game population? Including inactive accounts? Just doing an unscientific poll of players playing the game, I think the number is MUCH higher among current, active players. And it is STILL occurring, so now that people know they can do it I expect the number to jump even more. It's really disappointing that they would just say "Oh well, your co-players that got this extra ISO are lucky ducks". That is >$1000 US or well over a month of hardcore playing to get that much ISO. Most of us have been set back against those players, all other things being equal, but I expected nothing less based on their track record.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    .4% is still some percent of the population. The rest of us 99.6% are left on the outside looking in. If the devs were being fair here they would at least throw the other 99.6% something.

And, yes, is that .4% of total user base or .4% of daily active accounts? Because I would love to see what percentage of the daily active users benefited from the bug/exploit. I can almost guarantee it's a lot more than .4% of the active population.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    dsds wrote:
    4.) The people who didn't get the extra iso. We are all being punished for what happened. First we don't get the ISO. Secondly we are fighting group number 3 with their boosted characters for placement. Even if group 3 is rolled back to before the update, we may end up losing the reward that we should have deserved on a certain rank because group 3 used ISO they didn't deserve to do better. Whether it was by accident or on purpose, we are punished for it. Even if the developed do nothing and just leave it as it is. Group 4 will be at the most disadvantage.

I don't blame groups 2,3, and 4 for what happened, the blame lays clearly on the game/update itself. But this is the reality of the situation. By doing nothing group 4 will be harmed a lot and that is where the majority of the player base is.
    *Perceived* harm. Nobody is getting harmed. You are gauging harm based on what you theoretically may have achieved if you too had taken advantage of the bug or based on that person's theoretical performance (since you cannot confirm that they were in your bracket, slice or within your MMR realm, or that they even participated in the same events you did, to the extent that you did).

On a different note... If they can track that you've claimed it multiple times, how are they not able to restrict the popup based on already having claimed it? If it keeps the iso, but not the claimed indicator... how is that a good idea? Why is it keeping iso, but not progress? Why are they tracked or synced separately?

Syncing needs to be overhauled. Facebook syncing doesn't work too well, especially when the patches shut if off. iOS logs you out of Facebook syncing every time you shut off the app. You need a D3 login that registers the device, then can see if you are trying to contact the server from a different device than was last logged in, then throw up a message "This account is already logged in on device ... please close the app on the other device and reopen this one." The game should have a "logout" or "close app" option that syncs, then closes the app.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    JVReal wrote:
    dsds wrote:
    4.) The people who didn't get the extra iso. We are all being punished for what happened. First we don't get the ISO. Secondly we are fighting group number 3 with their boosted characters for placement. Even if group 3 is rolled back to before the update, we may end up losing the reward that we should have deserved on a certain rank because group 3 used ISO they didn't deserve to do better. Whether it was by accident or on purpose, we are punished for it. Even if the developed do nothing and just leave it as it is. Group 4 will be at the most disadvantage.

I don't blame groups 2,3, and 4 for what happened, the blame lays clearly on the game/update itself. But this is the reality of the situation. By doing nothing group 4 will be harmed a lot and that is where the majority of the player base is.
    *Perceived* harm. Nobody is getting harmed. You are gauging harm based on what you theoretically may have achieved if you too had taken advantage of the bug or based on that person's theoretical performance (since you cannot confirm that they were in your bracket, slice or within your MMR realm, or that they even participated in the same events you did, to the extent that you did).

On a different note... If they can track that you've claimed it multiple times, how are they not able to restrict the popup based on already having claimed it? If it keeps the iso, but not the claimed indicator... how is that a good idea? Why is it keeping iso, but not progress? Why are they tracked or synced separately?

Syncing needs to be overhauled. Facebook syncing doesn't work too well, especially when the patches shut if off. iOS logs you out of Facebook syncing every time you shut off the app. You need a D3 login that registers the device, then can see if you are trying to contact the server from a different device than was last logged in, then throw up a message "This account is already logged in on device ... please close the app on the other device and reopen this one." The game should have a "logout" or "close app" option that syncs, then closes the app.

It is indirect harm. It is harm that you cannot see. In PVP and in the shield pvp, I am going to have fight a lot harder since I didn't have the extra iso to level my characters up. To be honest, I don't think that much iso would have helped to level up the characters. I still have a big chunk of the iso from the grandfathered shield rank even though I claimed it only once. However if one was smart about it, they could use a big chunk of the iso on standard tokens and take their chances of getting up to a 4* or many many 3* that eventually champing would lead to 4*.

Yes I cannot see them and confirm that one of them is in my bracket. However 0.4% of total player base is a lot. Let me do the calculations for you so you can see how likely they are to be in my bracket.

On the google play store alone, it says that this game has been downloaded 5-10 million times. This is only on android. I am not sure what the iphones download is. But I think it's safe to assume that it is either very close or more than for androids.So let's take the middle number 7.5million and x that by 2 (android and iphone right). That is 15million users. Let's say that 20% use multiple devices so they must have downloaded it twice (the 0.4% of player base would mean not that many people use 2 devices frequently). So 15million - 20% = 12 million users. This is the playerbase they are likely talking about. Let's face it announcement always paint a positive note.

So 0.4% of those would be 12 million x 0.004 = 48000 people who played recently and are active. Let's look at the active player base. Let's derive that from a post about an earlier civil war or the rocket and groot test event (sorry I can't remember that far back only the number sort of). They said about a total 500,000 players participated in the event. So what is 48000 divided by 500,000? That is 9.6% of the active player base. I will admit the active playerbase may be bigger since some people purely just to ddq. But those people also wouldn't be in pvp and pve brackets, so you really can just ignore the people who only play ddq as they would'n't affect the odds of the 0.4% that would be in my pvp/pve bracket.

Even if you sort the 48000 player into brackets. They take up a total of 48 brackets. So please tell me the chances of a few of these players being in my bracket is going to be very slim.

Edit: I don't have the numbers and if the developers don't want to release them, that is fine. This is my guess and my opinion only. And I welcome anyone to correct me on the numbers. I edit them to reflect the new numbers if I also agree with them. Again this is my opinion, I don't want to get in trouble with the moderators.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    for me it would have included maxipun, im46, kp, and a start on antman. i'll agree that I might have to fight harder against those that got double portions, but overall I have to disagree that its 'a lot' harder. I disagree with the 'do nothing' approach, but not gonna lose any sleep over it. congrats to those who honestly stumbled into it. I've had my share of luck too. time to move on.
This discussion has been closed.