'Grandfathered' Iso Exploit *Updated (08/31/16)

Comments

• Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    DeNappa wrote:
    Wow, the negativity icon_neutral.gif.

While there were a few that profited from the mistake, and yes that is unfair to other players.. what were they to do otherwise? This was a bug in the wild on production/live servers. It's not like they could just have thrown a switch that would magically reset all mistakenly claimed ISO for everyone it affected.

If anything, maybe you should be glad it was not so widespread or severely abused that they'd have to resort to restoring some 2 day old database backup for the whole game.

If they don't have the means to remove excess iso, and they know that some players received a significant, unfair advantage, then they should just give everyone else the same advantage. Instead, they have just decided to sandbox the "bad faith" actors (however they define that) and ignore everything else. It's not an ideal solution.

They can't even get it right the first time, what makes you think there wont be another issue with the second round of free iso? Then you'll be asking for a third round? when deos this stop? Might as well ask them to remove iso from the game have every hero is at max capped level. There, everyone is on a even playing field. Happy now?
  • Esheris
    Esheris Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    Seems a bit weird to reward the players who took advantage of the exploit to win and get to keep the Iso.

What is the reward for your loyal players that knew about the exploit and chose to do the right thing?
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    JVReal wrote:
    Downloaded and actually playing NOT the same thing.
    You're right, but Dave said ".4% of the total game population". No mention at all about actually playing. If my goal were to avoid torches and pitchforks, I'd want to make that number look as small as possible, so it wouldn't shock me at all if their definition of "total game population" isn't anywhere close to what we would consider to be a legit depiction of how many people are actually playing.

Just based on this thread, I can't believe that the ratio of people who got double iso was only 1 in 250.

The people in this thread (and on this forum) are more likely to be competitive players, and competitive players are much more likely to play this game on multiple devices with the same account (which is how this error happens in the first place). I wouldn't base any analysis of their statistics off of the players in this thread.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    BTW, not everybody who plays on two devices got the double ISO.
    I got it on my iPad in the evening, then switched to my phone for the work day as usual in the morning, only got it once.

So there was something more involved than just simply switching devices.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pongie wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    DeNappa wrote:
    Wow, the negativity icon_neutral.gif.

While there were a few that profited from the mistake, and yes that is unfair to other players.. what were they to do otherwise? This was a bug in the wild on production/live servers. It's not like they could just have thrown a switch that would magically reset all mistakenly claimed ISO for everyone it affected.

If anything, maybe you should be glad it was not so widespread or severely abused that they'd have to resort to restoring some 2 day old database backup for the whole game.

If they don't have the means to remove excess iso, and they know that some players received a significant, unfair advantage, then they should just give everyone else the same advantage. Instead, they have just decided to sandbox the "bad faith" actors (however they define that) and ignore everything else. It's not an ideal solution.

They can't even get it right the first time, what makes you think there wont be another issue with the second round of free iso? Then you'll be asking for a third round? when deos this stop? Might as well ask them to remove iso from the game have every hero is at max capped level. There, everyone is on a even playing field. Happy now?

Mistakes hapoen, I get that. But demi has chosen a solution where some players benefit significantly at the 'expense' of both demi and the remaining player base.

I would prefer a solution that benefits all players at demi's expense.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint wrote:
    I said it before and I'll say it again now, an extra 860k iso does very little against a 6-7 MILLION iso debt.
    Sounds like a good argument to just go ahead and give 800k to the people who didn't rush to their second device as soon as they heard about this bug...
  • simonsez
    The people in this thread (and on this forum) are more likely to be competitive players, and competitive players are much more likely to play this game on multiple devices with the same account (which is how this error happens in the first place). I wouldn't base any analysis of their statistics off of the players in this thread.
    1 - I wasn't suggesting we do a pure extrapolation of the people in this thread to arrive at the overall rate.

2 - I don't give a **** about the the thousands of players who are still using a half-leveled IM35. It's the "competitive players" who got a double-ISO jumpstart that are going to affect my event placement, and as you say, there seems to be a disproportionately high percentage of them.
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Bowgentle wrote:
    I got it on my iPad in the evening, then switched to my phone for the work day as usual in the morning, only got it once.

Same here. I play on a tablet and phone, and if I'd have known d3 was going to be so laissez-faire about the situation, I'd have tried much harder to get the double myself. Crowl is right...anyone who got the level 65 bonus twice was basically gifted $1,119.88 worth of ISO at d3's rates.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2016
    Bowgentle wrote:

Same here. I play on a tablet and phone, and if I'd have known d3 was going to be so laissez-faire about the situation, I'd have tried much harder to get the double myself. Crowl is right...anyone who got the level 65 bonus twice was basically gifted $1,119.88 worth of ISO at d3's rates.

Nope nothing else. Updated phone, played a match and got 10xp, updated iPad, opened app in iPad, checked experience, I got 0, so I tought I had to click the 'claim reward' so it could get the xp, got the extra iso, lost the xp I got with the other device. I updated the phone like 1 hour after the update went life, and the ipad like 10 minutes after the phone.

So it might just be that they fixed the bug before you got the chance to get the extra iso.
    simonsez wrote:
    1 - I wasn't suggesting we do a pure extrapolation of the people in this thread to arrive at the overall rate.

2 - I don't give a tinykitty about the the thousands of players who are still using a half-leveled IM35. It's the "competitive players" who got a double-ISO jumpstart that are going to affect my event placement, and as you say, there seems to be a disproportionately high percentage of them.

With the extra iso I have just champed my 15th 4, so how is this going to affect you? Specially when I always play with my champed 5s.

The extra iso is much much much less important for "competitive players" who almost all of them are already playing with 5s.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    I don't give a tinykitty about the the thousands of players who are still using a half-leveled IM35. It's the "competitive players" who got a double-ISO jumpstart that are going to affect my event placement, and as you say, there seems to be a disproportionately high percentage of them.

Do you have evidence that player(s) X
    1. Were in your brackets
    2. Pushed you out of a reward tier, T1, 5, 10, etc
    3. 1 and 2 were specifically a result of extra iso not normal game play
  • simonsez
    fmftint wrote:
    1. Were in your brackets
    I'm not bringing a lawsuit, Johnnie Cochran, I'm just stating what is completely obvious and apparent: getting an extra 870k ISO will help one's gameplay more than someone who got no ISO. If you care to dispute that, take it elsewhere.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    WHAT ABOUT THE FACEBOOK SHARING BUG??????

Y'all jumped on this as if your lights were about to get shut off, but A MUCH LARGER population of people have been effected by the facebook sharing bug, versus this grandfather malarky.

Smdh.
  • zeeke
    zeeke Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    I'm usually cool with the shenanigans d3 pulls when it comes to customer support but this takes the cake. 800k ISO extra is not nothing. It is months of grinding. To allow a portion of your player base to keep that, and to be honest here, exploit that is not ok.

Go back and do the work of removing the ISO even if it means deleveling a character or grant the rest of us the same amount of ISO.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    1. Were in your brackets
    I'm not bringing a lawsuit, Johnnie Cochran, I'm just stating what is completely obvious and apparent: getting an extra 870k ISO will help one's gameplay more than someone who got no ISO. If you care to dispute that, take it elsewhere.

Seriously, in a world of 5s, how this extra iso is going to affect you in competitive play? I might be wrong, but you still have failed to explain how it is affecting you. You just assumed it is affecting you.

If anybody has already a champed OML and PH as a lot of people have (like me), or even if that person already has IMHB, Cyclops, Jean, Iceman, Peggy, Rhulk champed, which it is even more people, how is this extra iso going to affect you? Seriously, specially in the competitive level, this extra iso is not going to affect anybody AT ALL.

But hey, It would have been more fair for everybody to get the extra iso, I am not discussing that. But assuming now you are not getting to 1300 or top10 in PvE because some players got some extra iso is not true at all.
  • There are competitive players outside of the champion OML, play with your eyes closed, league lol... Also note, for future reference, that 1300 progression is not the same as placement rank (despite having a direct impact on it).

Extra ISO for 4* land means more champs, faster pve clears, more matches, less health packs, rank affected. Now what?
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Polares wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    1. Were in your brackets

Seriously, in a world of 5s, how this extra iso is going to affect you in competitive play? I might be wrong, but you still have failed to explain how it is affecting you. You just assumed it is affecting you.

If anybody has already a champed OML and PH as a lot of people have (like me), or even if that person already has IMHB, Cyclops, Jean, Iceman, Peggy, Rhulk champed, which it is even more people, how is this extra iso going to affect you? Seriously, specially in the competitive level, this extra iso is not going to affect anybody AT ALL.

But hey, It would have been more fair for everybody to get the extra iso, I am not discussing that. But assuming now you are not getting to 1300 or top10 in PvE because some players got some extra iso is not true at all.

Here's how it will affect me. I am in the mid range of the playerbase and I would assume a huge portion of the player base is at my level. I would like to classify myself as the middle class 3* to 4* transition. I have 1 or 2 usable 4* characters, but none champed. Yes, you are right, nobody who is above me is going to benefit that much from it. But people below me might. That's the worrying part. When I fight, I count on my roster to block me from attacks from the people below me, those clearly in the 2* transition and many who are in the 2-3* transition as there may be more targets that easier than me. With this double iso, some of the people below me may actually level to close enough to my level that I will be attacked by them now as well.

Also the people who are the same as me waiting for iso to champ their 4* now can if they got the double iso. My one time iso burst was around 580,000 iso or something. It let me champ a few characters but again i don't have enough covers to champ more, however I could have used the extra iso to open standard tokens and hope to get some covers that way. 1160 worth of standard tokens if you used the iso hoard to claim standard tokens. If at the low percentages of getting 3* and 4*, you would still get a few. And also champing 2* would get you more 3* covers as well.

If someone who is like me got double, they wouldn't be so well off to fight 5* rosters, but they would definitely be hitting me when I come into their queue since now their rosters is better than mine, before, the chances were less because I normally wouldn't try to attack teams that are like mine simply because risk and if I could find easier targets, I would.

There could be an argument made that the inital burst of iso would have done that, but with double I know I would use the extra to open standard tokens to take my chances of champing a high tier 4* compared to what I have now which isn't a very good 4* roster due to luck couldn't get fully covered Rulk, Jean Grey, Professor X, etc.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dsds, those are a lot of maybes, but no proof that people below you gained a competitive advantage or displaced you in a reward tier.
    And spending SHIELD rank iso on standards... yeah, you don't need that iso
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint wrote:
    Dsds, those are a lot of maybes, but no proof that people below you gained a competitive advantage or displaced you in a reward tier.
    And spending SHIELD rank iso on standards... yeah, you don't need that iso

"Proof" is an impossible standard here, just stop with that.

Here's my fully covered, unleveled 4's:
    Thing
    Falcap
    X23
    Carnage
    Kingpin
    Thoress
    Antman
    Ghost Rider
    Elektra
    Nick Fury
    Mr Fantastic
    IW

You going to sit there and tell me that instantly maxing 3 of those wouldn't help me? Or that someone else in my position who DID get double and also has 20+ 5* covers, but no more than 4 on any one character didn't just gain an advantage over me? Come on.

This was a numbers based business decision and one I can accept, but the argument that it doesn't matter at all is stupid.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    Honestly other than whales, how many people actually buy iso straight up from the store? My guess is very little to almost none. D3/Demiurge only loses revenue if those people would have actually bought iso in the first place. Now my guess is that the whale revenue from iso purchases must be enough that they are afraid whales won't buy iso if they were granted the double iso reward. It wouldn't hurt VIP sales as most people buy that not for the iso but everything else. HP purchases would probably increase since whales would instead buy HP for tokens and more people in general would buy HP for roster slots since now a whole lot more people could begin farming 2* etc with all that iso and the only limitation most encounter would be roster slots at that point. Based on the pricing models that would be a plus for D3/Demiurge since HP is a much better deal than iso at the current rates and more people would be willing to buy HP than iso.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    So between this and previous incidents, an optimal player would cheat, but not too much?
This discussion has been closed.