'Grandfathered' Iso Exploit *Updated (08/31/16)

Comments

• Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I quit playing MPQ on my tablet for reasons just like this one. The sync between devices is absolute ****. Draw some tokens, level a hero or two, switch devices, wait, those tokens are still there and the guys are un-leveled, junk like that. So I'm hardly surprised.

that is exactly what I thought had happened to me. a week ago, I had played on my phone and gotten the 25cp reward for max progression in PVE. then I signed in on my tablet, and I had lost the 25cp, but my PVE score was over max progression so I couldn't go back and get it again. stuff like that happens to me a lot, but normally it's just an easy fix of replaying for 10 minutes or so. This time, I just assumed the same thing happened. it wasn't until I had spent most of the ISO reward before I realized what had happened, couldn't go back. I went to bed kind of excited that something good finally happened... the good old Monopoly "bank error in your favor" situation. Then I woke up, saw this post from D3 and thought "well, there it goes. Somehow, this will end up terribly".

Think about this: take away the ISO I spent, sure. Those covers go back to the level they were at. Then, you also have to give me back the covers I used to level up the new champions I had just made. Then you have to take away any token-earned covers that came from tokens that come as rewards for leveling up a champ, making sure to give me back any other tokens I used or spent as well. then you have to give me back whatever XP I lost, both from today and from the "setback" of my shield rewards. It will be mayhem on my roster, I expect the absolute worst.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    broll wrote:
    loslupus77 wrote:
    broll wrote:
    loslupus77 wrote:
    This is no exploit, this is pure stupidity on dev's part. Yesterday I installed r108 patch on my iPad and was pleased to get level 65 and 867k iso with it. I started opening my legendary tokens and even got to level 66 before the day was through. Today I opened the app on my iPhone as I was in my way to somewhere and I had to install the update for it as well. After playing one mission, Chulk's DDQ, I noticed that my level was back to 65. And by pushing Shield rank-button I get the message to claim 867k iso again. I haven't done so as I read in MPQ's forum that this is some kind of bug and all exploiting it will be punished or something like it.

After I closed the app on my iPhone and started it again on iPad, my Shield rank remained wrongly at 65. All the other things I did yesterday SEEM (I leveled so many characters that it's hard to be sure) to be there. It's funny that the tone of the original post is blaming the players for exploiting the bug (now that I experienced it, it is surely something that could be exploited as I have other devices to use as well), but this is clearly a fault on developer's part as THEY HADN'T THOUGHT THE POSSIBILITY OF PEOPLE PLAYING THE GAME ON MULTIPLE DEVICES. And my additional punishment for doing so is that I have to deal with less than ideal CS and suffer through their auto-responses.

Just because you choose not to exploit the bug, doesn't mean people aren't intentionally exploiting it. Open a CS ticket and don't use any of the extra ISO till this get's sorted out and you should be fine.

I already wrote a ticket. But this bug is so easily exploited if people choose to do so, that this falls mostly on dev's shoulders. They should be kicking themselves for creating this issue.

That's some woefully flawed logic. That's like saying that if a store's security isn't high enough it's the owners fault and the thieves are somehow justified... Anytime you encounter a bug you then have a choice to report it and avoid it or attempt to exploit it. I don't care how severe the bug is exploiting it is not OK and it really bugs me when people online act like it is.

I agree that they should be kicking themselves for the mistake though icon_lol.gif

So, its our fault for an issue that has been going on for over a year? This exploit, that they said they fixed when the legendary token situation happened, keeps coming back to haunt them. Its never been fixed. People have gained massive rosters and based on the quoted money spent just doesn't add up. How do you think that is? When the token exploit happened, they sandboxed some, and then let them come back after reverting them back to a set point IF THEY HAD SPENT MONEY, THE REST WERE SOL!! They screwed themselves at that point. People that spend money, know that they are going to get a slap on the wrist and nothing more. This same exploit was used by some to hit a target up to 5 times AFTER SHIELD. Same exploit used for the airplane mode exploit. The exploit keeps coming back in various forms and they blame us for it, but its really on them when they have been shown time and again that it continues to happen.
  • ngoni
    ngoni Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2016
    grunth13 wrote:

So, its our fault for an issue that has been going on for over a year? This exploit, that they said they fixed when the legendary token situation happened, keeps coming back to haunt them. Its never been fixed. People have gained massive rosters and based on the quoted money spent just doesn't add up. How do you think that is? When the token exploit happened, they sandboxed some, and then let them come back after reverting them back to a set point IF THEY HAD SPENT MONEY, THE REST WERE SOL!! They screwed themselves at that point. People that spend money, know that they are going to get a slap on the wrist and nothing more. This same exploit was used by some to hit a target up to 5 times AFTER SHIELD. Same exploit used for the airplane mode exploit. The exploit keeps coming back in various forms and they blame us for it, but its really on them when they have been shown time and again that it continues to happen.
    +1000. Couldn't have said it better. Really feels great to immediately be called an exploiter and threatened with punishment for a bug they can't fix. Someone who got it three or four times? That's obvious. Everyone else? Too hard to tell. But we will likely all get rolled back the 2-3 days it's going to take for them to decide what to do and make it happen. 2-3 days of events and rewards we will miss that they will not compensate for. This is the good will you earn by being a player for 2+ years.

The better solution for those who have spent some of the 'extra' ISO is to allow players to earn it back (a month? 8 weeks?) and then deduct the ISO. Rollback is a punishment for cheaters. Treating everyone like cheaters isn't an honest way to deal with the situation.
  • hesjingixen
    hesjingixen Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    My buddy came up with a fantastic solution for this:

Figure out who got the reward twice exactly. Leave them alone.
    Figure out who got the reward exactly once. Gift them the reward again.
    Figure out who got the reward more than twice. Investigate and possibly (probably) punish them.

Everyone is happy. You don't have to revert 2-3 days of changes, nor weed through hours and hours of logs to figure out how to revert the account of all the people that accidentally triggered it.
    The guilty are punished, the unlucky (who triggered it) aren't punished, and the (unlucky?) who didn't trigger it get a bonus. Win/Win for the honest.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    There needs to be a proper solution to this. Not just another oops some people get away with it.

If everyone that didn't get double needs to because it is too hard to roll back selected accounts then proceed and I'll wait for my double ISO.

The amount of money I have spent in this game combined with these repeated bugs or exploits makes me question the integrity of the game. I'm not happy with this situation at all.

I didn't exploit this or the cover scheme and other people did. Some are punished and some are not isn't good enough. This needs to be made right.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    edited August 2016
    I've got the solution. Just roll back all accounts who claimed twice. I am sorry this sounds very cold. But you clicked claim twice. It's not just playing on a different device, you actually have to click claim again. Reading the responses here, it would be a lot of work to undo the extra iso some players got. Either they can pay for the iso at normal prices or they can choose to roll back to before the patch. Anyone who claimed more than 3 times, well we will throw them to the mercy of CS.

I am sorry if this is harsh, but I personally would prefer that they don't have to put an entire team to fixing their mistake which further delays anymore development on shield clearance levels etc. I know it's their mistake, it happened, if they apologized for it, then let's move on. We all get hit with bugs that we have to deal with. I've lost many pvp events due to server crashing, characters not working as they should, random shuffles. We all have hit some bugs and since this game is heavily luck dependent anyway, let's just say for those who clicked twice, that was your bad luck day.

No single group or individual should be rewarded anything. If they are to reward anyone anything for the bug, they should reward everyone. Maybe an extra heroic cover because that would be the most fair way to go about this.

Edit: You can't let them make back the iso if they have spent it. This will give those people an unfair advantage since they will have a roster that is maybe 30-100 days into the future.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    grunth13 wrote:
    *snip*

I haven't been around that long so I have no clue what you're talking about with a token situation. I'm also not saying that devs don't deserve some anger for a bug like this. The fact of the matter is this is an exploitable bug so they are taking reasonable precautions, warning and likely punishing people who can be proven to exploit it.

I don't see them 'blaming us for it'. They said in their message that some people did it unintentionally. I don't expect them to punish those players, it's the ones doing it intentionally that they will go after.
  • Crnch73
    broll wrote:

I haven't been around that long so I have no clue what you're talking about with a token situation. I'm also not saying that devs don't deserve some anger for a bug like this. The fact of the matter is this is an exploitable bug so they are taking reasonable precautions, warning and likely punishing people who can be proven to exploit it.

I don't see them 'blaming us for it'. They said in their message that some people did it unintentionally. I don't expect them to punish those players, it's the ones doing it intentionally that they will go after.

I guess time will tell. I was one of the people that clicked claim a second time, I am admitting that fully. I am violently denying that I did it on purpose in hopes of exploiting anything. when they come calling, I will let you know how they act. I believe the OP sounded accusatory of everyone, regardless of their intent. I did it thinking the game screwed up and TOOK AWAY the iso reward I was given. The game has had multiple instances where something like that has happened to me, so I thought nothing of it. If they have the ability to make it all right again, then go for it. If they have to mess up my game entirely to do so, then hell no. If they think they should ban me, then I will be irate.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    dsds wrote:
    I've got the solution. Just roll back all accounts who claimed twice. I am sorry this sounds very cold. But you clicked claim twice. It's not just playing on a different device, you actually have to click claim again.

Good point. They should have just clicked the Decline Reward button instead.
  • dsds
    dsds wrote:
    I've got the solution. Just roll back all accounts who claimed twice. I am sorry this sounds very cold. But you clicked claim twice. It's not just playing on a different device, you actually have to click claim again.

There is no decline reward button. To decline the reward, just do the default action, which is nothing. Of all the bugs that the game has, this one at the very least could have been prevented by not clicking the claim button twice.

I am not saying that those people who clicked twice are doing anything wrong. I am also not saying that this is the ideal situation. I am just trying to get a solution that is fair to everyone but also to do a reality check. It's entirely the developer's fault. I totally agree. But what else can you do? Look at all the options and you will see that this is the one that aligns with reality the most.

It's a bug for sure. And if you didn't click it twice, you wouldn't be hit by the bug. I think this bug is not as big as others, simply because it was preventable. Random board shuffles, game crashing is not preventable. I am not saying it's right to punish those players, but it's the most fair resolution considering the circumstances.

Heck reward everyone with a few covers so it looks like those people got compensated when it was everyone that was compensated for it.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    dsds wrote:
    dsds wrote:

There is no decline reward button. To decline the reward, just do the default action, which is nothing. Of all the bugs that the game has, this one at the very least could have been prevented by not clicking the claim button twice.

I am not saying that those people who clicked twice are doing anything wrong. I am also not saying that this is the ideal situation. I am just trying to get a solution that is fair to everyone but also to do a reality check. It's entirely the developer's fault. I totally agree. But what else can you do? Look at all the options and you will see that this is the one that aligns with reality the most.

It's a bug for sure. And if you didn't click it twice, you wouldn't be hit by the bug. I think this bug is not as big as others, simply because it was preventable. Random board shuffles, game crashing is not preventable. I am not saying it's right to punish those players, but it's the most fair resolution considering the circumstances.

Heck reward everyone with a few covers so it looks like those people got compensated when it was everyone that was compensated for it.

Actually, if you do nothing, the rewards are still placed into your stack. There is no way to decline a reward. The accept button is only there for you to feel like you gained something.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    chris0001 wrote:
    I think exploit is the wrong word to use here.....after this update the game reverted back to not save via Facebook. If you switch between devices you need to make sure you go into the cog wheel and check off save game via Facebook EVERY TIME! This haas happened to me before so I check that it is saved all the time. Something with this update does not keep the game saved if it was previously checked to save via facebook
    I had checked that box when I first started playing, I've not had to switch devices yet, but I was surprised that it was no longer checked. Yikes!
  • dsds
    grunth13 wrote:
    dsds wrote:
    dsds wrote:

Actually, if you do nothing, the rewards are still placed into your stack. There is no way to decline a reward. The accept button is only there for you to feel like you gained something.
    Let's say that you can't decline it. It still doesn't solve anything. It's still a bug that hit quite a number of people but probably not the majority of players. It still doesn't change the fact it is a bug and that for the developers to fix it the way those players want, it would likely either significantly cut into revenue or cause a delay in the launch of other new features due to sheer amount of manpower needed.

Also doesn't change the fact that other people that got hit with other bugs never got compensated. Such as random board shuffles, game crashing, etc. I would love to get another boost of iso, but what are the chances of that happening?

Edit: If you can't decline the reward, at the very least don't spend what isn't yours. Just like at a bank if the machine spits out more money than you asked for. You don't spend it because they will come after you for it later once the mistake is found. So in this case, maybe roll back the accounts that spent it and subtract it from the ones that didn't.
  • The1WhoKnocks
    The1WhoKnocks Posts: 29
    edited August 2016
    I'm just now seeing this, and I can tell you that I just got way more iso than I was supposed to have. I will gladly give the iso back, but you need to fix the sync issue before you do anything else. Also, I can't even update with my tablet right now. I have been trying since the xp update has come out, but it is on Amazon, and I can't update at all. Now, I am getting this stupid bug everytime I want to switch from my tablet to my phone. SUPER LAME! I only try to use my phone when I absolutely have to, because I'm an old fart, and my eyes don't take well to long sessions of MPQ on my phone. Please fix the updating and sync issue before you seek to give out more band-aids.
  • hesjingixen
    dsds wrote:
    dsds wrote:
    Let's say that you can't decline it. It still doesn't solve anything. It's still a bug that hit quite a number of people but probably not the majority of players. It still doesn't change the fact it is a bug and that for the developers to fix it the way those players want, it would likely either significantly cut into revenue or cause a delay in the launch of other new features due to sheer amount of manpower needed.

Also doesn't change the fact that other people that got hit with other bugs never got compensated. Such as random board shuffles, game crashing, etc. I would love to get another boost of iso, but what are the chances of that happening?

Edit: If you can't decline the reward, at the very least don't spend what isn't yours. Just like at a bank if the machine spits out more money than you asked for. You don't spend it because they will come after you for it later once the mistake is found. So in this case, maybe roll back the accounts that spent it and subtract it from the ones that didn't.

Just to clarify how the bug hit me (and I imagine a few others). I logged in yesterday, claimed my original prize and went about my business. I played some games and (after one device ran low on battery) switched to another. When I initially switched, everything looked fine. I even clicked on my level to see what my prize would be for leveling up (27,500 iso for level 62). Later, when I legitimately earned the XP to get to 62, my level got a little red exclamation point, so I clicked on it, expecting to receive 27,500 iso. Instead, I received something more like 700k. Now, as you stated above, I haven't spent a bit of it, and I fully expect it to be removed at some point, but I just wanted to point out that I made no attempt to double claim. I was TRYING to claim my legitimate reward for getting level 62, and instead it gave me 1-62. Also, as others have pointed out, once I clicked on my level, the only option was claim.

Now, should they take back the ISO? Sure. But I sure as hell shouldn't be punished for it by having my account rolled back a day or 2.
  • You guys playing the innocent victim are hilarious. You are fully aware that you don't get multiple max bonuses... no doubt your entire alliance achieved this. I hope they ban your accounts.

"I spent the extra, I had no idea!" "It's not my fault, but I decided to max some 4*" Nobody believes that... aren't you embarassed?

Now those that got it but didn't spend the duplicate and those that didn't receive extra get to pay for it.
  • Crnch73
    You guys playing the innocent victim are hilarious. You are fully aware that you don't get multiple max bonuses... no doubt your entire alliance achieved this. I hope they ban your accounts.

"I spent the extra, I had no idea!" "It's not my fault, but I decided to max some 4*" Nobody believes that... aren't you embarassed?

Now those that got it but didn't spend the duplicate and those that didn't receive extra get to pay for it.

I bet if it happened to you, you'd be saying that you thought you deserved it. Most likely, you were initially mad that you didn't get the extra reward. Now, you are playing high and mighty and saying that everyone should get burned, especially since that doesn't involve you! Phew! Thank whatever god you pray to that you didn't get extra ISO, otherwise you'd have to get off your throne of lies.

or maybe take into consideration there ARE innocent mistakes in life that don't require extreme punishments.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    My buddy came up with a fantastic solution for this:

Figure out who got the reward twice exactly. Leave them alone.
    Figure out who got the reward exactly once. Gift them the reward again.
    Figure out who got the reward more than twice. Investigate and possibly (probably) punish them.

Everyone is happy. You don't have to revert 2-3 days of changes, nor weed through hours and hours of logs to figure out how to revert the account of all the people that accidentally triggered it.
    The guilty are punished, the unlucky (who triggered it) aren't punished, and the (unlucky?) who didn't trigger it get a bonus. Win/Win for the honest.

I came to post something very like this. Have a +1.

In my view it's not that much ISO. The (something like) 867k ISO I got for level 65 is less than 10% of what I need to raise my characters to their current max levels (not including 5*, I have no idea how much each level costs for them).

Doubling this ISO gift as a one-off action will not break the game.
  • dsds
    Crnch73 wrote:
    You guys playing the innocent victim are hilarious. You are fully aware that you don't get multiple max bonuses... no doubt your entire alliance achieved this. I hope they ban your accounts.

I bet if it happened to you, you'd be saying that you thought you deserved it. Most likely, you were initially mad that you didn't get the extra reward. Now, you are playing high and mighty and saying that everyone should get burned, especially since that doesn't involve you! Phew! Thank whatever god you pray to that you didn't get extra ISO, otherwise you'd have to get off your throne of lies.

or maybe take into consideration there ARE innocent mistakes in life that don't require extreme punishments.
    For those people who spent it the extra iso, it is purely greed. Nothing more. I can't phantom how someone can think that they deserve double the rewards. My alliance members were posting their ranks and how much iso they got.

If you got more, you got an unfair advantage. If you legitimately weren't greedy, than you would have left the extra iso in your account and reported it just like an honest person would do when the bank gave you extra money at the atm.

For those who spent the extra iso, you can't give it back. You can try to earn it back, but that would give you an unfair advantage. The minute you spent it, you got an unfair advantage and thus why I feel the people who spent the extra iso has to be reverted back to before the update.

You are right though, if I got the extra ISO, I wouldn't report it, but I wouldn't spend it either until maybe 2 weeks later. I am not going say I am an angel.
  • hesjingixen
    dsds wrote:
    For those people who spent it the extra iso, it is purely greed. Nothing more. I can't phantom how someone can think that they deserve double the rewards. My alliance members were posting their ranks and how much iso they got.
    Pretty sure you mean "fathom".

Grammar police, out.
This discussion has been closed.