'Grandfathered' Iso Exploit *Updated (08/31/16)

Comments

• Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    well...**** i spent that extra ISO because the characters i leveled before were not leveled.... i thought it was synchronization issue and leveled them up again...
  • loslupus77
    loslupus77 Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    This is no exploit, this is pure stupidity on dev's part. Yesterday I installed r108 patch on my iPad and was pleased to get level 65 and 867k iso with it. I started opening my legendary tokens and even got to level 66 before the day was through. Today I opened the app on my iPhone as I was in my way to somewhere and I had to install the update for it as well. After playing one mission, Chulk's DDQ, I noticed that my level was back to 65. And by pushing Shield rank-button I get the message to claim 867k iso again. I haven't done so as I read in MPQ's forum that this is some kind of bug and all exploiting it will be punished or something like it.

After I closed the app on my iPhone and started it again on iPad, my Shield rank remained wrongly at 65. All the other things I did yesterday SEEM (I leveled so many characters that it's hard to be sure) to be there. It's funny that the tone of the original post is blaming the players for exploiting the bug (now that I experienced it, it is surely something that could be exploited as I have other devices to use as well), but this is clearly a fault on developer's part as THEY HADN'T THOUGHT THE POSSIBILITY OF PEOPLE PLAYING THE GAME ON MULTIPLE DEVICES. And my additional punishment for doing so is that I have to deal with less than ideal CS and suffer through their auto-responses.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    loslupus77 wrote:
    This is no exploit, this is pure stupidity on dev's part. Yesterday I installed r108 patch on my iPad and was pleased to get level 65 and 867k iso with it. I started opening my legendary tokens and even got to level 66 before the day was through. Today I opened the app on my iPhone as I was in my way to somewhere and I had to install the update for it as well. After playing one mission, Chulk's DDQ, I noticed that my level was back to 65. And by pushing Shield rank-button I get the message to claim 867k iso again. I haven't done so as I read in MPQ's forum that this is some kind of bug and all exploiting it will be punished or something like it.

After I closed the app on my iPhone and started it again on iPad, my Shield rank remained wrongly at 65. All the other things I did yesterday SEEM (I leveled so many characters that it's hard to be sure) to be there. It's funny that the tone of the original post is blaming the players for exploiting the bug (now that I experienced it, it is surely something that could be exploited as I have other devices to use as well), but this is clearly a fault on developer's part as THEY HADN'T THOUGHT THE POSSIBILITY OF PEOPLE PLAYING THE GAME ON MULTIPLE DEVICES. And my additional punishment for doing so is that I have to deal with less than ideal CS and suffer through their auto-responses.

Just because you choose not to exploit the bug, doesn't mean people aren't intentionally exploiting it. Open a CS ticket and don't use any of the extra ISO till this get's sorted out and you should be fine.
  • broll wrote:
    loslupus77 wrote:

Just because you choose not to exploit the bug, doesn't mean people aren't intentionally exploiting it. Open a CS ticket and don't use any of the extra ISO till this get's sorted out and you should be fine.

Yeah, I assume they will just deduct the 867K ISO. So I'm not too worried about that. But what about the already earned XP? And should I play now, or will the XP that I'll earn now be erased again?
  • loslupus77
    loslupus77 Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    broll wrote:
    loslupus77 wrote:

I already wrote a ticket. But this bug is so easily exploited if people choose to do so, that this falls mostly on dev's shoulders. They should be kicking themselves for creating this issue.
  • thecoffeemug
    thecoffeemug Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    A year ago, I took some time off, and when I came back, I had dozens and dozens and dozens of alliance rewards (even though the alliance I was in had disbanded by the time I came back). Collecting all those rewards, took a long time. Every time I would turn it on, I would get a handful, and then it would stop, and give me more next time I logged in.

So with that context in the back of my head, when I logged in, I was like "whoa, more ISO, guess it is coming in waves" just like the alliance rewards after coming back after a break.

So I spent it all. Why not? I didn't do anything wrong, and it got all the 4 stars I wanted levelled done.

Then come to the forum, not an avid user, but pop in now and then.

Oh. An "exploit"? Nah, that's a bug. What about the people who don't check the forums? They probably just figured they got lots of ISO two days in a row.

I contacted Customer Service, figured I would be honest, but I wonder how the deva are going to split "people intentionally using an exploit" and people who think they got a nice bonus from a new feature.

Oh, and just to corroborate a lot of what's going on here, I use two devices: iPhone, iPad.
  • thecoffeemug
    thecoffeemug Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    If they do roll it back, how would they do it to people who used it? Roll back the characters? Sure fine. But what about the legendary token that I got after I leveled awesome hulk from 214 to 270? Will they take away my 11th Miles Morales cover that I got because of the ISO irregularity? What about the points when I used a star lord to win a match in the Magneto PVP event?

What a mess. I would rather not have to check the forums every time I do something in the game, in fear that I am stepping out of line.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    loslupus77 wrote:
    broll wrote:
    loslupus77 wrote:

I already wrote a ticket. But this bug is so easily exploited if people choose to do so, that this falls mostly on dev's shoulders. They should be kicking themselves for creating this issue.

That's some woefully flawed logic. That's like saying that if a store's security isn't high enough it's the owners fault and the thieves are somehow justified... Anytime you encounter a bug you then have a choice to report it and avoid it or attempt to exploit it. I don't care how severe the bug is exploiting it is not OK and it really bugs me when people online act like it is.

I agree that they should be kicking themselves for the mistake though icon_lol.gif
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    good luck differentiating the exploiters and the casuals that just didn't know any better. glad I stick to one device.
  • Stony
    Stony Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    So I play on 2 devices as well. However I haven't been on my ipad since the update. Im already up to level 67 and don't want to lose that progress! When will it be safe for me to play on my second device?
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Yea this happened to me too, and I was completely oblivious. I spent some of the ISO I got from the "bug" and now I am unsure what to do. I sent in a CS ticket, but I don't have an accurate idea as to what I truly did with the ISO. Meaning... I spent it on a few characters, but I also spent the ISO that WAS truly mine on some characters too, so I am not entirely sure where the "bug ISO" was spent and where the "true ISO" was spent.

I am also not sure what to do while I wait for CS to get back to me. Should I stop playing? Because if I earn XP and then they decide to take it all away from me to "reset" the bug, then it will all be a waste of time, no? I admit, lots of people could exploit this bug, but I do feel like a ban should be out of the question, if only because you can't distinguish between exploit and happily-confused.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Stony wrote:
    So I play on 2 devices as well. However I haven't been on my ipad since the update. Im already up to level 67 and don't want to lose that progress! When will it be safe for me to play on my second device?
    Re-enable facebook backup, and you should be fine...
  • GBuff79
    GBuff79 Posts: 1
    I use two devices and this happened to me. I hit 'claim' on 2nd device before I even saw the amount because I had leveled up since switching devices and the exclamation mark was on the rank icon. I haven't spent it (but would love to keep it). Through my mobile app I went to Setting->Help->New Conversation and explained the situation. Is that sufficient to notify customer service that I'm not "exploiting"?
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am a bit annoyed with the terminology that has been used here.

Sooooo let's see, Devs make a mistake and they release this fantastic new feature (no irony, this is a great update otherwise) with a bug ( yeah a bug that can be exploited if you have a lot of different devices ) and we are the ones we need to contact CS and prey for forgiveness ???????

The main threads fails to point out that if you play in the second device you lose all your progress from your initial rank.

So don't call this exploit, THIS IS A BUG and Devs are responsible, not the users. Devs made a great work with this new feature, but again, lack of testing is proving to be their undoing... Sincerely, If I release software with a bug in the code, I usually am the one asking forgiveness not the other way around...

PS: If somebody starts claiming the rewards in more than two devices then yeah, those users are exploiting the game.
  • ngoni
    ngoni Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    What really blows is if you've spent some or all of the 'extra ISO,' the only way they have of 'fixing' this is rolling you back to before the patch. Which means you will lose whatever you earned or could have earned from patch day to whenever they decide to act.

What they should do is allow people to build up their ISO back to the 800k or so and then have CS deduct it. A rollback is a terrible punishment for the majority who were just playing as they normally do every day.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2016
    Obvious solution and easiest will be to roll people who received the double iso and spent it back to before they received it. Will suck that you lose xp but you should be able to recreate most of the "legit" iso you spent and will lose out on about a day of xp rewards from play etc. It will be difficult to prove people who did it on purpose unless they can look account by account and see who started using multiple devices within the past day for the first time ever.

For the people who haven't spent the excess iso, a simple deduction I think would be possible.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Polares wrote:

Sooooo let's see, Devs make a mistake and they release this fantastic new feature (no irony, this is a great update otherwise) with a bug ( yeah a bug that can be exploited if you have a lot of different devices ) and we are the ones we need to contact CS and prey for forgiveness ???????

The main threads fails to point out that if you play in the second device you lose all your progress from your initial rank.

So don't call this exploit, THIS IS A BUG and Devs are responsible, not the users. Devs made a great work with this new feature, but again, lack of testing is proving to be their undoing... Sincerely, If I release software with a bug in the code, I usually am the one asking forgiveness not the other way around...

PS: If somebody starts claiming the rewards in more than two devices then yeah, those users are exploiting the game.
    Yeah I think this is a bug and they shouldn't blame users. Innocent until proven guilty right?
    It's going to be hard to separate the people who do it on purpose and the people who are doing it by accident.
    I really didn't like the tone of the announcement. To be honest, I think this is why they don't communicate with us much because they have this tone all the time. It's not users fault that the game is bugged. If you screw up, do what every normal person does and apologize, I am sure the majority of the player base are not cheaters. So addressing us like we are, when only a very very small percentage are exploiting this is very very rude in my opinion.

But people are greedy, the extreme cheaters for sure can be caught. I don't play on two devices and haven't gotten double the iso, however it looks like you have to play on two devices and click the claim button twice to get it. Some people may have clicked claim twice by accident, that is reasonable. But people are greedy and the ones that clicked it three times or more, are probably greedy and purposefully using the exploit. Also if the person started playing the game with a new device on the day of the patch, that is awfully suspicious too.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    the part that worries me the most is what will happen to any progress or gameplay that occurs today while I wait for them to respond to my CS ticket. I can't imagine how this will get fixed correctly and quickly, I can only see them saying "too bad" and blaming me for the problem, so they will take away all the stuff I did today. That PLUS losing the extra ISO would make me quite unhappy. I understand if they want to find a way to take away the stuff that I guess I didn't deserve, but I feel like the "punishment" is going to be 10 times worse

I have been playing this game over a total of 4 different devices (one of which I no longer use) for almost a year now. Meaning, I rotate between them freely, playing on at least 2 per day, sometimes playing on all 3 in one day. Yes, I admit I clicked the "claim reward" button the second time. I wasn't really sure what was happening, I just assumed it was a glitch and they took away the ISO reward that I had already claimed on the first device. So, when I started using the ISO to max out covers again, I realized what had happened, but much too late. Then, I thought to myself "well, that was actually amazing". I wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth. That being said, I also didn't then jump up, grab the third or fourth device, and do it all over again. I realized this was a bug, it was too late to do anything about it, but I also wasn't going to be a jerk and try to do it as often as possible.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    dsds wrote:
    Polares wrote:

Yeah I think this is a bug and they shouldn't blame users. Innocent until proven guilty right?
    It's going to be hard to separate the people who do it on purpose and the people who are doing it by accident.
    I really didn't like the tone of the announcement. To be honest, I think this is why they don't communicate with us much because they have this tone all the time. It's not users fault that the game is bugged. If you screw up, do what every normal person does and apologize, I am sure the majority of the player base are not cheaters. So addressing us like we are, when only a very very small percentage are exploiting this is very very rude in my opinion.

But people are greedy, the extreme cheaters for sure can be caught. I don't play on two devices and haven't gotten double the iso, however it looks like you have to play on two devices and click the claim button twice to get it. Some people may have clicked claim twice by accident, that is reasonable. But people are greedy and the ones that clicked it three times or more, are probably greedy and purposefully using the exploit. Also if the person started playing the game with a new device on the day of the patch, that is awfully suspicious too.

Yes it is their fault but they also can't allow such a huge bonus to some players and not all of them since so much iso is a ridiculous boost and advantage in this game. If you did it and spent it....you probably had a good idea something was fishy. I understand clicking the button twice on two devices but actually spending the iso, you probably should have known better. Those that spent it should be rolled back and receive partial compensation in the form of tokens (combination of legendary and heroic) along with some iso for the day or so of play they will have erased. Those that actually can be determined were exploiting it purposefully should be banned and/or sandboxed.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    I quit playing MPQ on my tablet for reasons just like this one. The sync between devices is absolute ****. Draw some tokens, level a hero or two, switch devices, wait, those tokens are still there and the guys are un-leveled, junk like that. So I'm hardly surprised.
This discussion has been closed.