'Grandfathered' Iso Exploit *Updated (08/31/16)

Comments

• The Finn
    The Finn Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    spectator wrote:
    Easiest fix without causing and uproar is just to double everyone's grandfathered iso who did not get hit with the bug.
    What about the people that potentially claimed it 5, 10, 20 times? Do they just get away with it? Would you like to play PVP with a sudden influx of people with big boy rosters that got there via a shortcut?
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Finn wrote:
    spectator wrote:
    Easiest fix without causing and uproar is just to double everyone's grandfathered iso who did not get hit with the bug.
    What about the people that potentially claimed it 5, 10, 20 times? Do they just get away with it? Would you like to play PVP with a sudden influx of people with big boy rosters that got there via a shortcut?

As opposed to those who used money to get to the same place?

While it's unfortunate that people exploited, but no ones going to lay them out on a spiked bed unfortunately.
    The damage is done is the main thing. They can find the people who have done it.

The only solution to even discern yet make it fair treatment for everyone is to like rewind the entire game back and double the iso for having left the exploit in.

Otherwise it's a difficult place to be as a developer.

You've got people who bumped into it, the people who exploited it, the people who don't care either was (I'm here), and the ones who want groups 1 & 2 punished intensely.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    24 hours on and still no follow up by an admin. Moving forwards my guess is that either they are not going to do anything to players for fear of a backlash, or things have been done and now they are hoping if they never mention it again things will just go unnoticed and then be forgotten about.

"This too shall pass."
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Give them time, Linkster. It's a difficult problem to figure out how to deal with fairly, judging from the differing opinions in this thread. The fact that CS hasn't gotten back to anyone yet tells us that they're still formulating a policy to respond to this.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    The whole thing is ridiculous and only highlights how massive a choke point iso is. I tallied up my iso debt today, 6.8 MILLION iso! They could quadruple the level 65 SHIELD bonus and I'd still be several MILLION short. Yeah, some doubled up by accident, others intentionally, and then some excessively. My question is, can you blame them?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint wrote:
    The whole thing is ridiculous and only highlights how massive a choke point iso is. I tallied up my iso debt today, 6.8 MILLION iso! They could quadruple the level 65 SHIELD bonus and I'd still be several MILLION short. Yeah, some doubled up by accident, others intentionally, and then some excessively. My question is, can you blame them?
    Your real ISO debt is way lower when you ignore trash tier like Cho, Baglady, Baglord (yes I know, buff incoming), etc.

@Topic
    I fully expect the same "solution" as they had for the token reroll exploit:
    Claim that things have been fixed, claim exploiters have been dealt with, move on.
    I'd like to be pleasantly surprised, but it's the only realistic way to deal with this.
  • 8punch
    8punch Posts: 97 Match Maker
    Warbringa wrote:
    8punch wrote:
    i dont think D3 can claim the iso back legally.

if people used this twice, so on tablet + phone ,without noticing, then why should d3 claim iso back?

for example. they stated when you logged in that you get rewards based on your ranking. it does not specifly said what the rewards are or how many you can claim.

that there is a forum here does not mean anything. people are not legally binded to read this forum.

so assuming people login on phone then on tablet and get double the iso then its all fine. a judge would simply say there is a reason of doubt. which means people could not have known that they would get the iso twice. ofcourse when you use it like 8 times. then the judge would say you exploit it. but if using the game on phone and on tablet is legally okey, then why should it be the customers fault?

D3 made the mistake and the people who play it, didnt play the game differently then any other time they used the combo of tablet or phone.

so i dont think people that got iso twice dont need to be to afraid of any harsh actions taken against them.

i just hope everybody else will get now iso twice as well. more iso is always welcome icon_e_smile.gif

Pretty sure the account minutia fine print when you sign for an account pretty much gives them just about all authority to do whatever they want. You agreed to the following when you signed up for the game:

Virtual Currency and Virtual Goods. The Game may include “virtual currency,” consisting of coins, points or similar items that may be earned or obtained through the Game or otherwise purchased by you using actual (‘real world’) currency, subject to applicable law. The Game may also include “virtual goods,” consisting of digital items such as commodities, abilities or other goods that may be earned or obtained through the Game or otherwise purchased by you using actual or virtual currency, subject to applicable law. We can manage, regulate, control, modify or eliminate virtual currency and/or virtual goods, including the price thereof, at our discretion, and will have no liability to you or any third party for any of such actions. You have no right, title, or interest in or to any virtual goods or virtual currency except the following: a limited, personal, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, revocable license to use, solely within the Game, virtual goods and virtual currency that you have earned, purchased or otherwise obtained in a manner authorized by us. You agree that the transfer of virtual currency and virtual goods is prohibited except where expressly authorized in the Game. Also, outside of the Game, you may not sell, redeem or otherwise transfer virtual currency or virtual goods to D3PA, any other user of the Game or any other party. You agree that all sales of virtual currency and virtual goods are final and non-refundable, unless we or the applicable Mobile Platform Operator decides in its sole and absolute discretion to provide a refund. You agree that in the event that this EULA, your account or the Game is terminated for any reason, which may include, without limitation, our discontinuation for any reason of the applicable portion of the Game, you will forfeit all virtual currency and virtual goods, and we will have no liability to you for such forfeiture.

This glitch/bug/exploit, whatever you wish to call it, will fall under the point that they will say it was not authorized and was an erroneous transaction therefore they have all rights to fix, manage and control such errors as they see fit.

that depends on the laws of the country. for example D3 can claim all kinds of stuff and use all kinds of EULA. but if a part of what stands in the EULA is against EU law for example, they have no foot to stand on in the EU, even if you have agreed to the terms of D3 EULA.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    I see this post was unstickied but I don't see the solution posted anywhere. Taking into account that I did not receive a second batch of iso, I'm guessing they are not going the route of "give everyone 2x iso and call it a day".

So, what was the solution Devs?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    GurlBYE wrote:
    The Finn wrote:
    spectator wrote:

As opposed to those who used money to get to the same place?

So someone who exploited it 20 times and was level 65 would have gotten 17,940,000 ISO.
    To buy that much ISO with actual money would cost $22,997.70.
    How many people do you really think have spent over 20 thousand dollars on this game...

Heck just a single 897,000 ISO would cost $1,149.89. Few places ever ignore issues where people accidentally got and/or stole thousands of dollars worth of merchandise.

To be clear I'm not saying I agree with the double ISO for everyone, but something should be done to punish the the people who clearly exploited. There should be some fix for people who look like victims that isn't a punishment, but takes back all or most of the ISO (I'd be fine if they got to keep like 10% as an oops our bad or got to pick 5* cover or something like that).

Edit: Fixed wrong calculations.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Then come to the forum, not an avid user, but pop in now and then.

Oh. An "exploit"? Nah, that's a bug. What about the people who don't check the forums? They probably just figured they got lots of ISO two days in a row.

It happening once is a bug, a person using multiple devices to get it a 3rd or more time is exploiting the bug.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    My only problem isn't the initial message (It's whatever, I'll save any aggro for when the change actually happens) or even the response time (24 hours to comb over a huge problem and fix it in the system is expected and appreciated that they are taking the time to do it right).

My problem is while some people may be punished, it seems like the only reward people who haven't exploited it get is the rewards of not being punished.
    It's all well and good, I don't mind (I'd only get like 340k iso anyways) but like if someone gets to keep a double-up on their iso, then it kinda sucks being someone who follows the rules rather than bends them.

But for the sake of not sounding entitled, I don't believe I should get anything either. I just don't feel like it's right that people who respect the system would get indirectly punished by being forced to play against those who didn't but still reaped benefit. Either everybody gets something, or nobody gets anything.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Blahahah wrote:
    Either everybody gets something, or nobody gets anything.

not disagreeing with the entirety of your message, but doesn't this last part sound like communism?
  • BillyBobJoe
    BillyBobJoe Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Bowgentle wrote:
    *snip*

Your real ISO debt is way lower when you ignore trash tier like Cho, Baglady, Baglord (yes I know, buff incoming), etc.

The opinion of whether a character is "worth the iso" is irrelevant to the iso debt. I would recommend leveling Cho, IW, and Star Lord for champing levels (HP, CP, XP) and Clash of Titans.

My debt is in the multiple millions for 5*s (which are unleveled at ~7 covers each), 4*s, 3*s, & 2*s (that I previously sold to level 4*s).
  • BillyBobJoe
    BillyBobJoe Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Crnch73 wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

not disagreeing with the entirety of your message, but doesn't this last part sound like communism?

Communism is the leaders get everything, everybody else gets scraps (barely). There is no choice.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Crnch73 wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

Not sure how fairness sounds like communism, but to answer you no. Communism functions off of something entirely differently.
    What I said is more towards appropriation in terms of legality, but on a mass scale. It's one of the founding principles in our democratic-republic law system.

To put it in a more clear and conducive manner for the sake of comparison, communism would be saying "Everyone should receive the same amount of iso regardless of rank or decisions". It eliminates a top-bottom system by ensuring that regardless of effort put in, the same pay is put out. People at rank 65 make 300k iso, people at rank 5 make 300k iso.

On the other hand, appropriation of funds says "People whom have exploited only once receive X, and a separate set of funds is provided to people who have not exploited specifically to bring them to the same relative level. People whom have exploited twice or more will receive a reduction in funds in order to counteract the misappropriation conducted by them. OR If no funds are provided for those whom have not been appropriated, then funds will be reduced from those whom exploited once as any exploit is recognized as a misappropriation and would be corrected".

While both have the same ending point, they both have different means of doing so, recognition of the difference in individual value, and ideology towards effort and fairness in relation to the situation as a whole. One of them eliminates difference between ranks, while the other one simply balances out funds in terms of use (or misuse) of the system.

(In fact, appropriation is about as capitalist as it gets. It makes sure people who do LESS work don't get MORE pay by comparison of people on their same level.)
  • broll
    Crnch73 wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

A. Not in this context.

B. What's wrong with communism?
  • broll
    Crnch73 wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

Communism is the leaders get everything, everybody else gets scraps (barely). There is no choice.

No that's past dictatorships that weren't truly communistic that everyone likes to use in straw man arguments.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    commandpointsbig.pngPlease stay on topic. Political discussions will only lead to arguments. Thanks. commandpointsbig.png
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Blahahah wrote:
    Crnch73 wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

Not sure how fairness sounds like communism, but to answer you no. Communism functions off of something entirely differently.
    What I said is more towards appropriation in terms of legality, but on a mass scale. It's one of the founding principles in our democratic-republic law system.

To put it in a more clear and conducive manner for the sake of comparison, communism would be saying "Everyone should receive the same amount of iso regardless of rank or decisions". It eliminates a top-bottom system by ensuring that regardless of effort put in, the same pay is put out. People at rank 65 make 300k iso, people at rank 5 make 300k iso.

On the other hand, appropriation of funds says "People whom have exploited only once receive X, and a separate set of funds is provided to people who have not exploited specifically to bring them to the same relative level. People whom have exploited twice or more will receive a reduction in funds in order to counteract the misappropriation conducted by them. OR If no funds are provided for those whom have not been appropriated, then funds will be reduced from those whom exploited once as any exploit is recognized as a misappropriation and would be corrected".

While both have the same ending point, they both have different means of doing so, recognition of the difference in individual value, and ideology towards effort and fairness in relation to the situation as a whole. One of them eliminates difference between ranks, while the other one simply balances out funds in terms of use (or misuse) of the system.

(In fact, appropriation is about as capitalist as it gets. It makes sure people who do LESS work don't get MORE pay by comparison of people on their same level.)

twas a joke, didn't expect you to recite an 8th grade history text book and then send this thread into a tailspin. my bad...
  • Kilwrath
    Kilwrath Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    I sent in a help report after getting a second full ISO reward for lvl 62 when I logged into my 2nd device last night, and I got a reply back from support confirming I won't be banned because of it. But no solution was provided, just "the devs are looking into it".

But now I'm stuck waiting for them to decide what to do so I don't have to worry about going into a massive ISO debt hole if they decide to claw it back. icon_mad.gif

What a shame - this had the potential to be such a great update, but now the whole thing is tainted with this messiness.
This discussion has been closed.