'Grandfathered' Iso Exploit *Updated (08/31/16)

12345679»

Comments

• brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    I know the likely outcome but at this point I am considering opening a support request for the extra iso that a minority of other players recieved, since it seems the frustration over this decision is going to be ignored despite the updated message touching on an effort to keep the game fair.

It may be petty but I am simply too frustrated that I have alliancemates that are taking advantage of the bug now that they know nothing will be done about it and I am simply not "lucky" enough to encounter it.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Warbringa wrote:
    Honestly other than whales, how many people actually buy iso straight up from the store? My guess is very little to almost none. D3/Demiurge only loses revenue if those people would have actually bought iso in the first place. Now my guess is that the whale revenue from iso purchases must be enough that they are afraid whales won't buy iso if they were granted the double iso reward. It wouldn't hurt VIP sales as most people buy that not for the iso but everything else. HP purchases would probably increase since whales would instead buy HP for tokens and more people in general would buy HP for roster slots since now a whole lot more people could begin farming 2* etc with all that iso and the only limitation most encounter would be roster slots at that point. Based on the pricing models that would be a plus for D3/Demiurge since HP is a much better deal than iso at the current rates and more people would be willing to buy HP than iso.
    My guess is that the percentage of the player base (active or not) is so small, that they can ignore it despite the revenue lost (I am sure it's quite a bit). They probably write it off as a loss and look at the future of the game and want to ensure they are not bogged down by this issue any longer. I am sure whales would make up a large number of those that got hit by the bug as playing on two devices is likely done by the more competitive players who also make purchases. (phones are not cheap, if you have two or more, it's likely you are not poor or at least not shy on spending money)

Also there would probably be a pretty significant number of whales that took advantage and that's why they don't say what action they took against those who intentionally did it. Technically this is a bug and can be argued that people didn't know they were exploiting it even if it's up to 3-5 devices. Also the ones that recently made purchases and exploited the bug can also hold their threat of charge back as an ace card. If they are going to be banned anyway, who wouldn't do a charge back? That would have been a very smart move to do. Exploit the bug, then buy $119-240 dollars worth of hero coins in a buy club. If you lose, then you can get back your 119 and if you win and they do nothing, you have thousands of dollars worth of iso. That's what I would have done if I had the money, that would totally supercharge your roster real quick. You would get covers you need from the purchase and be able to level your characters instantly.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    nah more like it was the whales and they know if they make them mad they will no longer give them cash

i told you not a thing will be done to them that is why i will never put another penny into this game
  • brisashi
    Why am I not surprised that this has already been unstickied?
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]*Update (08/31/16)
    We appreciate the community's effort in keeping the game fair and fun for everyone.

I just wish the devs had the same mindset as the community regarding this matter. Congrats to all the users that got several months worth of extra iso.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    brisashi wrote:
    Why am I not surprised that this has already been unstickied?
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]*Update (08/31/16)
    We appreciate the community's effort in keeping the game fair and fun for everyone.

I just wish the devs had the same mindset as the community regarding this matter. Congrats to all the users that got several months worth of extra iso.

We could all send CS tickets asking for bonus ISO. Sure, they won't give it, but we could all politely register our displeasure.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    We have dealt with those accounts that we have judged as intentionally exploiting the bug and will take no action against those who may have unknowingly encountered the bug.

In the future, we will expand our testing efforts to catch these kinds of bugs. Thank you to everyone that brought this to our attention or elaborated upon how they encountered it. We appreciate the community's effort in keeping the game fair and fun for everyone.

Rather ridiculous that they cannot see that they should either be removing the iso from the innocent beneficiaries too or sending out a second round of it to everyone who did not initially benefit, doing nothing to these two groups basically states that any time there is a bug that can be exploited you should always try to lightly take advantage of it.

A second round of rewards would also give a massive morale boost to the overall community, whereas now this whole mess has needlessly negated the positivity from the launch of this feature and while people have iso deficits in the millions it would not have any drastic impact on iso sales one way or the other.
  • tizian2015
    tizian2015 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    This is just a joke! So a few players have the luck to get more than a thousand dollars worth iso for free and the unlucky people have to grind for it!

Give out a second round for all players who not exploit this matter! Only this would be fair!
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Polares wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    Do you have evidence that player(s) X
    1. Were in your brackets
    2. Pushed you out of a reward tier, T1, 5, 10, etc
    3. 1 and 2 were specifically a result of extra iso not normal game play
    I'm not bringing a lawsuit, Johnnie Cochran, I'm just stating what is completely obvious and apparent: getting an extra 870k ISO will help one's gameplay more than someone who got no ISO. If you care to dispute that, take it elsewhere.

Seriously, in a world of 5s, how this extra iso is going to affect you in competitive play? I might be wrong, but you still have failed to explain how it is affecting you. You just assumed it is affecting you.

If anybody has already a champed OML and PH as a lot of people have (like me), or even if that person already has IMHB, Cyclops, Jean, Iceman, Peggy, Rhulk champed, which it is even more people, how is this extra iso going to affect you? Seriously, specially in the competitive level, this extra iso is not going to affect anybody AT ALL.

But hey, It would have been more fair for everybody to get the extra iso, I am not discussing that. But assuming now you are not getting to 1300 or top10 in PvE because some players got some extra iso is not true at all.

We're in the midst of a possible sea change in terms of gameplay. The landscape could look very different after R109.

If it involves 4* PvP, or if 4* PvPs are introduced soon, the extra ISO that allows you to champ some extra 4*s will have a direct and unquestionable effect on placement.

If you don't think 4* PvPs will ever happen, then you might have an argument that this wasn't a big deal. If they do happen, it matters quite a bit. A champed 4* with the new boost will be a force to be reckoned with, even if it's not a top-tier 4*.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nellobee wrote:
    So between this and previous incidents, an optimal player would cheat, but not too much?

This in a nutshell, just make sure you've spent a bit of money on the way as an insurance policy.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:
    Rather ridiculous that they cannot see that they should either be removing the iso from the innocent beneficiaries too or sending out a second round of it to everyone who did not initially benefit, doing nothing to these two groups basically states that any time there is a bug that can be exploited you should always try to lightly take advantage of it.

A second round of rewards would also give a massive morale boost to the overall community, whereas now this whole mess has needlessly negated the positivity from the launch of this feature and while people have iso deficits in the millions it would not have any drastic impact on iso sales one way or the other.

This doesn't fix the problem. It just punishes a different set of players in another way.

The only ways to fix the problem are:
    1) Remove the ISO from accounts that got it 2+ times (as you noted) even if it meant negative ISO
    2) Double all the ISO rewards for shield rank AND hand out 2nd round of ISO

The reason you have to do #2 is because someone like me who ranked L35 only got 280K while L65 got 800K. My understanding is that by the time I reach L65 I will have 800K of ISO from rank rewards. So if you just hand out double ISO then I'll be screwed on my next 30 ranks because I won't get 1.6 million ISO, I'll only get 560 (double reward for L35)+520=1,080,00 ISO. So the rewards have to double so that lower ranked players (and new players to the game) get the same rewards as those that started at L65 and got double ISO.

Not sure D3 wants to double the rewards because then at L66 it would look funny if you got less ISO than L65 (unless they also wanted to increase L66+ ISO rewards too). I suspect this is part of the reason they aren't just handing out double ISO to everyone.

KGB
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    It's pretty funny - I stopped playing on my second device because I got tired of losing 3* covers because their syncing / backup stuff sucks (got back the 4* I lost with some CP once, they said no more - even though it is there bug). Now if I was using the other device, I likely would have ended up with a free 650K iso.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just got back from vacation last night, catching up on the drama. (There is life outside of the game and the forums!)

When a person consistently measures themselves up against people who received more than them out of life or in a game (by whatever means, be it legal or not, fair or not), you will spend the rest of your life looking back at what you don't have and not at where you are going and enjoying what you have. If you let others spoil your enjoyment because of a self inflicted feeling of being wronged, you are not getting the most enjoyment out of life. The grass is not greener, the water is not sweeter.

I used to go around yelling "that's not fair!" all the time... when I was 5! I'm pretty certain the average age of the forum users here is well above that age. Lets get some people to grab some perspective and hold onto it.

If you are rank 35, and you are comparing yourself to rank 65 and saying they got an unfair advantage over you with their double iso... they already had an advantage over you. They had double your roster already, you weren't catching up with double iso. They were ahead of you, are still ahead of you, and will likely always be ahead of you. No loss.

For every bank robber that gets away with robbing a bank, I do not go to the bank and demand my equal amount of 'free' bank money. For every person that gets an extra $20 out of an ATM because they were stuck together, I don't go to the credit union and demand an extra $20 be deposited into my account because I didn't go to that ATM and withdraw money hoping for an extra $20. For every person that takes an object up to the register and it rings up 50% off even though it isn't on sale, I don't demand that cashier give me an object for 50% because the person ahead of me got it.

Stop worrying about what everyone else has and what you don't have unless it's food and shelter, and you are starving and homeless.

Where did the feeling of entitlement come from that is prevalent in society today? Why do we have to be rewarded for doing the right thing? I thought we did the right thing because it was the right thing to do. I don't murder people, rob them, **** them, or even curse them and cut them off in traffic every day, was I supposed to be getting a stipend for being a good citizen to my fellow man? No. The satisfaction of not willfully or inadvertently harming my fellow human is good enough for me.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    JVReal wrote:
    For every bank robber that gets away with robbing a bank, I do not go to the bank and demand my equal amount of 'free' bank money.
    I guess I missed the press release from the banks that said, "Since only 0.4% of our banks have gotten robbed, we've decided to let them keep the money"
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    JVReal wrote:
    For every bank robber that gets away with robbing a bank, I do not go to the bank and demand my equal amount of 'free' bank money.
    I guess I missed the press release from the banks that said, "Since only 0.4% of our banks have gotten robbed, we've decided to let them keep the money"
    bad analogy because nothing was taken from anyone for any of this. it was just programmed in with a few keystrokes. everyone was supposed to get a gift. some got 2 by 'mistake', some got 2+ because they found a way to get 2. that didn't take anything from anyone - nobody lost iso because of those who got 2 helpings. by the same token, would not harm anyone if the playing field were then equalized by providing the extra helping to those who didn't get it. of course nothing in this game is equalized, so to hell with it. screwy, bass ackwards parts of what, at its core, is a great game.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    JVReal wrote:
    They identified the 0.02% that 'robbed' them and are 'prosecuting' them, and decided not to prosecute the 0.4% that got the extra $20 from the ATM.
  • brisashi
    JVReal wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    JVReal wrote:
    They identified the 0.02% that 'robbed' them and are 'prosecuting' them, and decided not to prosecute the 0.4% that got the extra $20 from the ATM.

20$?

More like a grand.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    JVReal wrote:
    Just got back from vacation last night, catching up on the drama. (There is life outside of the game and the forums!)

When a person consistently measures themselves up against people who received more than them out of life or in a game (by whatever means, be it legal or not, fair or not), you will spend the rest of your life looking back at what you don't have and not at where you are going and enjoying what you have. If you let others spoil your enjoyment because of a self inflicted feeling of being wronged, you are not getting the most enjoyment out of life. The grass is not greener, the water is not sweeter.

I used to go around yelling "that's not fair!" all the time... when I was 5! I'm pretty certain the average age of the forum users here is well above that age. Lets get some people to grab some perspective and hold onto it.

If you are rank 35, and you are comparing yourself to rank 65 and saying they got an unfair advantage over you with their double iso... they already had an advantage over you. They had double your roster already, you weren't catching up with double iso. They were ahead of you, are still ahead of you, and will likely always be ahead of you. No loss.

For every bank robber that gets away with robbing a bank, I do not go to the bank and demand my equal amount of 'free' bank money. For every person that gets an extra $20 out of an ATM because they were stuck together, I don't go to the credit union and demand an extra $20 be deposited into my account because I didn't go to that ATM and withdraw money hoping for an extra $20. For every person that takes an object up to the register and it rings up 50% off even though it isn't on sale, I don't demand that cashier give me an object for 50% because the person ahead of me got it.

Stop worrying about what everyone else has and what you don't have unless it's food and shelter, and you are starving and homeless.

Where did the feeling of entitlement come from that is prevalent in society today? Why do we have to be rewarded for doing the right thing? I thought we did the right thing because it was the right thing to do. I don't murder people, rob them, tinykitty them, or even curse them and cut them off in traffic every day, was I supposed to be getting a stipend for being a good citizen to my fellow man? No. The satisfaction of not willfully or inadvertently harming my fellow human is good enough for me.

It's great that you have a very good sense of morals and believe that good people will do good without need for rewards. I believe this as well.

Here's the big difference between game and real life. In real life, you can't just quit so people HAVE to accept the unfairness, there's no other life to play. In a video game, you can definitely choose to quit, so people absolutely do not have to accept the unfairness. There's plenty of other games that people can play.

At the very least, if nothing is to be done, let us vent our frustrations out. At least give us this much. It is one thread in a forum

Another point is that if earning iso was fun, I wouldn't be too much against it. But it's the same events, same crazy scaling and monotonous grinding for hours on end. How is that fun or fair that someone gets to skip a lot of this boring stuff.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    JVReal wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    JVReal wrote:

Did the 0.4% return their extra $20 (ISO)? I mean, that would have been the right thing to do.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are we still on this? Let it go already
This discussion has been closed.