Speculation Thread on Next Lazy Character

Options

Comments

• Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Honestly, I'd be just fine with a 3* Cap (it doesn't need to be 'gold' or whatever, just a straight-up 3*) with some abilities that set him apart from his 2* counterpart.
    Of course he'd be a defensive character, so i'd be okay with him adding protect tiles and having a stun still, but hopefully we can get away from the countdown tiles that make the 2* Cap such a loathsome character.
  • I also agree that it will be Captain Lazy, for all the reasons already mentioned.

I don't think OBW or Storm are contenders. First off, both would be ridiculous and would risk throwing everything off. Thorstorm was nearly as big of a problem as Thorverine -
    - if we had lazy versions of them, we would be in the same boat again. As far was OBW is concerned, there is already a 1* and 3* widow, so I think that would be overkill.

My only argument towards these two is they would be as profitable as they would be OP. Wallets would go rogue, employment would skyrocket, and mortgages foreclosed.

If not Cap, my next guess would be Juggs. He's been getting a LOT of attention lately, perhaps an effort to highlight how awesome he would be if could break his level cap (hint hint).
  • Assuming it's just a linear upgrade ala Thor (now with sparkly stars!) ... does more damage, more hps 'fix' Captain America? Instead of a middling 2-star character, doesn't he just become a middling 3-star character?

In fact, he might even be a lower-rung character if you measure him against the current 3-star characters that exist.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    Assuming it's just a linear upgrade ala Thor (now with sparkly stars!) ... does more damage, more hps 'fix' Captain America? Instead of a middling 2-star character, doesn't he just become a middling 3-star character?

In fact, he might even be a lower-rung character if you measure him against the current 3-star characters that exist.

Depending on who you talk to Cap is an average/good pve character. Make him a 3* with no other changes and then I think that description is upgraded to good/great.

Does it do much of anything for PVP? Probably not, but I for one don't mind having a character that has a specific role and does it well. Considering how some characters have no good role we could do a lot worse than a 3* Cap (considering we have to have another lazy character). And he isn't someone that should bring cries of opness with him just because of the gold upgrade.

Sorry, went off on a tangent and got a little too far from your topic.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    a lazy cap would basically just be the buffed regular cap we have in many PVEs to be used in every tournament...rather boring unless they overdo his skills...which would make him not really lazy cap anymore...but from the list he's the most likely character IMO (we already have 2 storms and 3 bws)
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My preference would be for a *** Juggernaut. He's so deadly in events, and so useless stuck at level 40.
  • There's nothing wrong with Cap. He's excellent at what he does, it just happens what he does isn't pvp. He's also the most played character, so presumably outside the forums playersddon't have a big problem with him.
  • My preference would be for a *** Juggernaut. He's so deadly in events, and so useless stuck at level 40.

I agree with this, but only if I'm the only one that can use him icon_twisted.gif

Otherwise I'd prefer no one has that kind of power, well, at least not at 6 ap.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    Jachdo wrote:
    I also agree that it will be Captain Lazy

"Cap'n, there's trouble in the Middle East again!"

"Can't Iron Man take care of it? I'm watching Prison Break."
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Toxicadam wrote:
    Assuming it's just a linear upgrade ala Thor (now with sparkly stars!) ... does more damage, more hps 'fix' Captain America? Instead of a middling 2-star character, doesn't he just become a middling 3-star character?

Granted I'm not a fan of 2* Cap, but upgrading him to 3* wouldn't seem to achieve anything.

Health increase = meh > he'll have a lot more, but he's only good for fighting super-powered minions against who you have to stop every countdown or lose heroes anyway.
    Tile damage increase = good > his primary source of damage.
    Sentinel of Liberty = meh > already the will be the strongest defense tile skill in the game, they'll get amazing numbers but still horribly practical due to cost.
    Star Spangled Avenger = meh > will need 5 covers to actually counter countdowns, and even if given a 200% damage increase it's a crumby value 11 AP 3* attack gamble.
    Peacemaker = dreadful > has no stats to increase, people will need 5 covers to even make this PvE useable.

Overall, my verdict would have to be that even Captain America fans are probably underestimating just how annoying it's going to be to obtain 10 rare covers simply to make him as PvE-functional as his 2*.
  • Kelbris wrote:
    Jachdo wrote:
    I also agree that it will be Captain Lazy

"Cap'n, there's trouble in the Middle East again!"

"Can't Iron Man take care of it? I'm watching Prison Break."

"Stark said what? That's a bunch of tiny kitty. He upgraded his firmware last week so tell him to get off his lazy tin butt and take care of this. He can stream the show to his helmet anyway..."
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    A three star Juggernaut would be very interesting...id hate to play against a boosted Juggernaut though.

I don't use the 2 star Cap and unless the supposed 3 star cap poops Hero Points each turn I probably won't use him either. I find him almost as pointless as Bagman.

Speaking of Bagman...why was he even introduced into the game? Howard the Duck would have more use.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    a 2* gold version of IM35 would be better than 3* gold Cap.
    They are missing a 2* version of Iron Man and since the inception of the films has become a pretty popular figure.
    While I'd drone at a new cap who already seems really weak, I wouldn't frown as much at a new Iron Man.
  • Twysta wrote:
    They are missing a 2* version of Iron Man and since the inception of the films has become a pretty popular figure.
    While I'd drone at a new cap who already seems really weak, I wouldn't frown as much at a new Iron Man.

I can't imagine the tiny kitty storm that would occur if they decided to 'cop out' of being lazy by making him Iron Patriot icon_twisted.gif
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,314 Site Admin
    Options
    Twysta wrote:

I can't imagine the tiny kitty storm that would occur if they decided to 'cop out' of being lazy by making him Iron Patriot icon_twisted.gif
    Way back prelaunch we were noodling with a GoG Iron Man. Had art for him done, but when we finalized Dark Reign as the arc he kind of went by the way side since that armor makes zero sense without anything cosmic going on.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Way back prelaunch we were noodling with a GoG Iron Man. Had art for him done, but when we finalized Dark Reign as the arc he kind of went by the way side since that armor makes zero sense without anything cosmic going on.

Interesting, he always looked like an evil ant-man or something to me icon_lol.gif
  • IceIX wrote:
    Twysta wrote:

Does this imply that characters that have no relation to the prepared arc will never appear in-game? I really want a better set of villains for PVE, since it's kind of anti-climactic to face the same stooges every time.
  • Do we know for sure he will be a buffed 2* -> 3*? Could it be a 2* or 3* -> 4*. The more I look at 3* Thor the more I hope he was a 4*. If that was the case, then in the next few weeks we wouldn't see so many of them stomping all other teams and it would be nice to get a top 1 reward other than Wolverine and IW. I don't even have them maxed, but It's getting old getting these 2 again and again. Of course I would prefer them spending some time balancing OP and UP characters instead of giving new stuff all the time.
  • aussiemac
    aussiemac Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Jathro wrote:
    Honestly, I'd be just fine with a 3* Cap (it doesn't need to be 'gold' or whatever, just a straight-up 3*) with some abilities that set him apart from his 2* counterpart.
    Of course he'd be a defensive character, so i'd be okay with him adding protect tiles and having a stun still, but hopefully we can get away from the countdown tiles that make the 2* Cap such a loathsome character.

I don't think it's only the CD tiles that make Cap cumbersome, it's the fact that they are also so expensive. I actually love the CD dynamic since it returns the AP and think it's fitting for the character. If they were CD tiles and only cost 8 or 9 AP (like Punisher) then he'd be much more reasonable. How C. Mags can lay down shields for 5 AP and Cap for 19 is crazy! Not to mention Spidey stunning for 3 AP compared to 12 AP for Cap.
  • Narkon wrote:
    Do we know for sure he will be a buffed 2* -> 3*? Could it be a 2* or 3* -> 4*. The more I look at 3* Thor the more I hope he was a 4*. If that was the case, then in the next few weeks we wouldn't see so many of them stomping all other teams and it would be nice to get a top 1 reward other than Wolverine and IW. I don't even have them maxed, but It's getting old getting these 2 again and again. Of course I would prefer them spending some time balancing OP and UP characters instead of giving new stuff all the time.

I would imagine 1*->2* or 2*->3* because Ice's recent comments about the next 4* make it seem like a new character (Colossus, Human Torch, the Void, someone else).