From Undergrowth Champion to Runaway Carriage[Merged Topic]

Options

Comments

• Hibernum_JC
    Hibernum_JC Posts: 318 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I never gave an ETA for the change to Runaway Carriage. Sorry if that was misleading!

It should be in the next major patch, along with a few other balance changes.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I never gave an ETA for the change to Runaway Carriage. Sorry if that was misleading!

With this patch, Diregraf Colossus changed so that if it comes into play with no zombies, it remains a base 2/2 instead of boosting to 5/5. Is this intended? Thalia's Lieutenant and Veteran Warleader still count their comes-into-play bonuses, so it would seem like Colossus is a bug. Just want to know if it was on purpose!
  • Hibernum_JC
    Hibernum_JC Posts: 318 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    madwren wrote:

With this patch, Diregraf Colossus changed so that if it comes into play with no zombies, it remains a base 2/2 instead of boosting to 5/5. Is this intended? Thalia's Lieutenant and Veteran Warleader still count their comes-into-play bonuses, so it would seem like Colossus is a bug. Just want to know if it was on purpose!

We had issues with that, but it should be a 5/5. I'll look to see if someone else changed the card without my knowledge! icon_e_smile.gif
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    madwren wrote:

We had issues with that, but it should be a 5/5. I'll look to see if someone else changed the card without my knowledge! icon_e_smile.gif

Thank you!
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

oh ok yeah that's kinda what it sounded like.
  • Mangus 73
    Mangus 73 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Any one having issues with this card and playing black I can confirm that the rare spell card languish takes it out. -6/-6 to all creatures.
  • Ekkias
    Ekkias Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Mangus 73 wrote:
    Any one having issues with this card and playing black I can confirm that the rare spell card languish takes it out. -6/-6 to all creatures.

I don't have Languish, so I use Blightcaller to take it out with Black. Pair that with Tamiyo Tome for even more debuff.
  • Mangus 73
    Options
    Ekkias wrote:
    Mangus 73 wrote:

I don't have Languish, so I use Blightcaller to take it out with Black. Pair that with Tamiyo Tome for even more debuff.
    Sounds good, I run an Ob creaturless deck so languish is one of my main tools as the -6/-6 doesn't affect me but two methods is great is I have the cards you mentioned.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Officially sick of this card. First round of new event vs Kiora: turn 1 RC + Mantle of Webs. And I was playing as Chandra...
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Here's the new balance for the card I'm looking towards - I would simply remove the Prevent Damage buff and it's associated trigger.

This way it's still Hexproof, so it is still impossible to kill through targeted direct damage, but you can defeat it using a multitude of ways (Berserkers, AoE, Defenders, etc).

I'll do some more tests, but this is what I'm leaning towards at the moment. This would remove the biggest issue, which is Prevent Damage, make it vulnerable to each color while still retaining some of it's power.

Seems like a reasonable change. This is an Uncommon card after all.
  • Bluezeak
    Bluezeak Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    Options
    It's not that easy, since a when a Berserker attacks a creature, that creature is not considered to be blocking.

That can't be right. Prickleboar triggers (first strike when blocked) if it is made a berserker. I have a separate thread about this.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=49445

From that thread:
    majincob wrote:
    Berserker makes the first creature your opponent controls that isn't at 0 or less toughness block your attacker.
  • jimilinho_
    Options
    Bluezeak wrote:
    It's not that easy, since a when a Berserker attacks a creature, that creature is not considered to be blocking.

That can't be right. Prickleboar triggers (first strike when blocked) if it is made a berserker. I have a separate thread about this.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=49445

From that thread:
    majincob wrote:
    Berserker makes the first creature your opponent controls that isn't at 0 or less toughness block your attacker.

This is the exact kind of inconsistency that creates frustration for everyone playing
  • carlosmatador137
    carlosmatador137 Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Options
    The main thing here for me, looking back to the original card, it was supposed to die from combat not be the only thing that survives combat as it functions most of the time now. It also had more toughness to.survive burn, So I think the best balance would be to keep prevent damage outside of combat (to stave off burn) but get rid of hexproof. That way you can still use boucne and destroy removal. And change it like you suggested so it dies on either end of combat.

You mentioned combos being a big part of MTG/MTGPQ, and I would agree, but when one card starts to show up in 50% of the decks it is warping gameplay as you have to set aside a couple of cards in every deck to answer this one combo. Also, in a Gideon deck it's basically a free combo with the PW ability. If this had been a mythic or even just a colored card then it wouldn't be such a big deal, but it is often unbeatable, and shows up all the time. At the start of this event I ran across it 4 battles in a row...and that does not create an enjoyable playing experience.
  • venomAA
    venomAA Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Really you guslys crying over RC? Only red has a big issue with it. White, can easily deal with it or out run it. Green, heck, green has so many broken cards that it will laugh at it. Black has languish and some really decent defenders like prized amalgam. Blue just uses crush or any other non target bouncer and its instant win.
    I'm not seing where's the hard part to deal with it. You guys should worry more about real instant looses like season past infinite combos. Compared to that rc is a joke
  • Barrelrolla
    Options
    venomAA wrote:
    Really you guslys crying over RC? Only red has a big issue with it. White, can easily deal with it or out run it. Green, heck, green has so many broken cards that it will laugh at it. Black has languish and some really decent defenders like prized amalgam. Blue just uses crush or any other non target bouncer and its instant win.
    I'm not seing where's the hard part to deal with it. You guys should worry more about real instant looses like season past infinite combos. Compared to that rc is a joke
    Red can deal with it easy if you include true-hope censer. It even has flying creatures so you can stop a flying carriage. Only issue would be an RC with unblockable.
    The problem with the card is that it is so strong that it is included in every deck, so you need to have an answer for it in every deck too. And when you have to build your deck specifically to counter 1 single card, then there is an issue.
    On the other hand, at least you know what you're dealing with, I don't know how to prepare for Drowner of Hope + From Beyond.
  • Mangus 73
    Options
    I don't see what all the fuss is about, a 1/1 scion can take it out. Just remove hexproof the turn after it hits the battlefield.
    Its immune the turn it enters the battlefield but fair game after that. Reapply hex proof for one turn if it is reinforced. Done.
    This will make sure its not removed the same turn it is played and give the player a chance to buff it or apply hexproof from another method. The player would need to build around it including other cards in there deck or if not it can still be taken out with spot removal or bounced or stunned on its second turn before it gets crazy.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mangus 73 wrote:
    I don't see what all the fuss is about, a 1/1 scion can take it out. Just remove hexproof the turn after it hits the battlefield.
    Its immune the turn it enters the battlefield but fair game after that. Reapply hex proof for one turn if it is reinforced. Done.
    This will make sure its not removed the same turn it is played and give the player a chance to buff it or apply hexproof from another method. The player would need to build around it including other cards in there deck or if not it can still be taken out with spot removal or bounced or stunned on its second turn before it gets crazy.
    This!
  • Netatron
    Options
    And after a month, it and every other SoI card is still broken with no sign of progress.
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Netatron wrote:
    And after a month, it and every other SoI card is still broken with no sign of progress.

JC is on vacation (his words) for at least another week. Who knows if anybody else fixes these types of things other than him. icon_e_confused.gif
  • Netatron
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    Netatron wrote:

JC is on vacation (his words) for at least another week. Who knows if anybody else fixes these types of things other than him. icon_e_confused.gif

He's not the coder, he just designs what things do in theory and passes on stuff that's broken to the team afaik. He finished redesigning RC weeks ago.