From Undergrowth Champion to Runaway Carriage[Merged Topic]

Options

Comments

• Rootbreaker
    Options
    Yeah, it seems like the first strike happens before carriage loses its prevent damage ability.
  • Netatron
    Netatron Posts: 147
    Options
    At the very least this card shouldn't be targetable by spells and buffs the owner controls either.
  • Zelandoni
    Options
    Yeah, it seems like the first strike happens before carriage loses its prevent damage ability.
    I should note that I've had Warleaders survive to block the same Carriage multiple times, and the Carriage remained alive the entire time. I can kind of get the first strike not killing it the first time, but it shouldn't still have Prevent Damage after that initial block.
  • Rootbreaker
    Options
    Zelandoni wrote:
    I should note that I've had Warleaders survive to block the same Carriage multiple times, and the Carriage remained alive the entire time. I can kind of get the first strike not killing it the first time, but it shouldn't still have Prevent Damage after that initial block.
    Mine did kill it the second time... so that's weird.
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    My tyrant with vigilance also took two tries. Weird.
  • Gideon
    Gideon Posts: 342 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    First of all if you believe MTGPQ had A meta that's laughable. When I actually get to play real people playing their own decks and not some bad AI then we can talk meta. Runaway carriage doesn't shake up the so called meta, it DEFINES it. This card would immidiately get the ban Hammer in real life because it would force every deck to play it thus negating any so called meta game.
  • Pqmtg-
    Options
    Gideon wrote:
    First of all if you believe MTGPQ had A meta that's laughable. When I actually get to play real people playing their own decks and not some bad AI then we can talk meta. Runaway carriage doesn't shake up the so called meta, it DEFINES it. This card would immidiately get the ban Hammer in real life because it would force every deck to play it thus negating any so called meta game.

I think you mean it would force every deck to start playing untargeting removals to deal with many decks running it.

This card wouldn't even be that super strong in paper mtg, so I don't know what you're talking about.

The reason it's strong here is because of the format(blocks multiple creatures) , and the lack of available cards in the pool to deal with hexproof creatures. I would like to see more cards deal with this actual meta shift of running hexproof stuff. I was hoping to get more cards addressing this problem with the new expansion.

On a side note, runaway carriage isn't game breaking for every deck. But the fact that it is for even one planes Walker makes it necessary to fix something.
  • PapiLouis4
    PapiLouis4 Posts: 113
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    the way its worded makes me think it works is it has prevent damage indefinitely until it is blocked. so the first time its blocked its still unkillable, but then after that initial block it loses its prevent damage and is then killable
  • Pqmtg-
    Options
    PapiLouis4 wrote:
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    the way its worded makes me think it works is it has prevent damage indefinitely until it is blocked. so the first time its blocked its still unkillable, but then after that initial block it loses its prevent damage and is then killable

Nope. Sometimes it dies on first contact.

In paper mtg, damage comes after block. I expect this was carried over. Didn't even think about your interpretation, so conditioned I was by experience with the paper version.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hang on, I've just thought of something.

I've had Berserkers (like Piblin Piledriver) attack my Thing in the Ice, even tho Thing in the Ice specifically syas it can't block.

Does that mean that being attacked by a Berserker doesn't count as blocking? Or is Thing in the Ice just bugged?

N.B: Piblin Piledriver was obviously supposed to be Goblin Piledriver, but it was such a good typo that I left it.
  • shteev
    Options
    I've just lost a game to Drowner of Hope and Crush of Tentacles where I died with a Skyraker Giant in my hand. Nothing like a fair game, is there?
  • jimilinho_
    jimilinho_ Posts: 292
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    I've just lost a game to Drowner of Hope and Crush of Tentacles where I died with a Skyraker Giant in my hand. Nothing like a fair game, is there?

I think that was the same deck I lost one of my games too as well. It also had exert influence in so wasn't much fun icon_lol.gif
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 330 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    Hang on, I've just thought of something.

I've had Berserkers (like Piblin Piledriver) attack my Thing in the Ice, even tho Thing in the Ice specifically syas it can't block.

Does that mean that being attacked by a Berserker doesn't count as blocking? Or is Thing in the Ice just bugged?

N.B: Piblin Piledriver was obviously supposed to be Goblin Piledriver, but it was such a good typo that I left it.
    Berserkers can target creatures that can't block - that's because Berserkers technically aren't being "blocked" by said creature; berserkers prioritize targeting creatures before the enemy PW. Thing in the Ice can be a REALLY powerful anti-berserker tool (providing said berserker isn't a spirit) in this case as if it's health drops enough without being destroyed, you get a free mass-bounce and a big body that can attack immediately on your turn!
  • Fitomagic
    Options
    Should change hexprof mechanics and dont let cast own spells on this kind of creature
  • shteev
    Options
    Fitomagic wrote:
    Should change hexproof mechanics and dont let cast own spells on this kind of creature

That ability was called Shroud in paper MTG. It was popular for many years before Hexproof came along, but eventually was phased out in favor of Hexproof because new players to the game would always play it wrongly by casting their own spells on it.

Of course, Shroud can be easily enforced in MPQ! Maybe we should get some of that!
  • Pqmtg-
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    Fitomagic wrote:
    Should change hexproof mechanics and dont let cast own spells on this kind of creature

That ability was called Shroud in paper MTG. It was popular for many years before Hexproof came along, but eventually was phased out in favor of Hexproof because new players to the game would always play it wrongly by casting their own spells on it.

Of course, Shroud can be easily enforced in MPQ! Maybe we should get some of that!

Shroud and hexproof were both overused mechanics that took fun away from the game. Hexproof was bad enough. Let's not add Shroud.
  • shteev
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    shteev wrote:
    Fitomagic wrote:

Shroud and hexproof were both overused mechanics that took fun away from the game. Hexproof was bad enough. Let's not add Shroud.

My point is that Shroud is far less of a pain in the **** than Hexproof is. If you take Hexproof off some creatures and give them Shroud, then your game overall is less of a pain in the ****. I'm not suggesting they add a slew of brand new Shroud creatures just to annoy everybody.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 976 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Shteev: off the top of my head, rogue's passage, skeleton key sacred censer and haunted cloak all work againt RC, you can add those to any deck.
  • Pqmtg-
    Options
    Shteev: off the top of my head, rogue's passage, skeleton key sacred censer and haunted cloak all work againt RC, you can add those to any deck.

These are the very cards that make RC a problem.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 976 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yes and they are also the solution:

Use them on your own creatures and they block or bypass RC

Problem solved.