From Undergrowth Champion to Runaway Carriage[Merged Topic]

Options
Plastic
Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
edited September 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
With all the buzz going on around UC being overpowered since it was released and the adjustments made to keep it from being a must have card, we now have a new contender.

Runaway Carriage

There are a few things going on with this card:

1) It's uncommon and nearly everyone will get the opportunity to use this.

2) Pair this card with other cards like Mantle of Webs (green common, costs 9), Iona's Blessing (white uncommon, costs 10), Aim High (green common, costs 6) and you have a nearly indestructible blocker that will clear boards all for nearly the same total cost (19, 20, 16 - based on above examples) as the current iteration of Undergrowth Champion.

3) If people do start using this card in most decks, it will force players to include vigilance/defender/reach/board wipe as being the only way to counter it (red can't even use berserkers against this!). Isn't this the exact same problem we were just dealing with UC and why it was changed?

Here is the paper version

My suggestion? Take off the prevent damage. Why is it even there? Or possibly make this card a spell in the PQ version that spawns a token, similar to Akoum Stonewaker, that comes in with haste and trample and is then destroyed at the end of the players turn.

I'd love to hear thoughts of others.

Comments

• jimilinho_
    jimilinho_ Posts: 292
    Options
    I started playing with this card yesterday just thinking I would get it mastered then leave it. Just turns out it was awesome! As I've mentioned in previous posts Hexproof is an overpowered mechanic and this card showcases it well.

That being said I don't think it needs a nerf, there's no shortage of cards that deal with it and you need to pair it with another card to make it really work. Plus the AI isnt going to abuse the card so it shouldn't cause many losses. I could be wrong tho, suppose we'll see in the next few weeks.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If this card ever becomes popular, you can drop all the Berserkers in your decks. They're pretty much gonna suicide against it unless you have a defender on the board, in which case they only commit suicide once. icon_rolleyes.gif

There are no shortage of cards to deal with it in White and Green only. Not so much in Red, Blue and Black.

Not sure what the intent of the ability is but this will restrict deckbuilding options quite a bit.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Does it take damage the first time it's blocked or does it lose Prevent Damage but not take damage when it's first defended?
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    If this card ever becomes popular, you can drop all the Berserkers in your decks. They're pretty much gonna suicide against it unless you have a defender on the board, in which case they only commit suicide once. icon_rolleyes.gif

There are no shortage of cards to deal with it in White and Green only. Not so much in Red, Blue and Black.

Not sure what the intent of the ability is but this will restrict deckbuilding options quite a bit.

Only problem is red I think. Blue and black have plenty of creature removal.
  • Plastic
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:

Keep in mind it's hexproof
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    Pqmtg- wrote:

Keep in mind it's hexproof

Oh I didn't notice that when I was playing with it. Interesting.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dies to an Eldrazi Scion.

Let that sink in.
  • Plastic
    Options
    EDHdad wrote:

Let that sink in.

True enough. I think it would be silly if people started regularly saving 1 card slot for a scion creator just for this though.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Can you cast your own spells on hexproof creatures? I've never owned a hexproof card so I can't test on my own
  • span_argoman
    Options
    EDHdad wrote:

Let that sink in.
    I'm not sure I know of any top-tier Red or Black decks that run any defenders, let alone specifically an Eldrazi Scion. Maybe I'm just not as well-informed on the meta as you.

Also the Berserker problem still exists. So that hits Iroas's Champion, Embermaw Hellion, Scab Clan Berserker, Koth's second ability and Graveblade Marauder among others.

If that's the direction they want the game to move in then so be it. I just think it's not a good thing.
  • Plastic
    Options
    Diregraf Colossus is a new black defender that's a rare (and pretty strong).
  • span_argoman
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    And Prized Amalgam too. Thanks for pointing that out.
  • Plastic
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    And Prized Amalgam too. Thanks for pointing that out.

Though Amalgam is pretty buggy from what people are reporting. Not worth using if it keeps freezing the game up.
  • Netatron
    Netatron Posts: 147
    Options
    Plastic wrote:

The wording doesn't really explain this, but it will buff itself by +2/+2 when it enters the field and also counts itself in the +1/+1's. It's at minimum a 5/5 when you cast it.
  • tm00
    tm00 Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    Options
    True faith censer is your friend, probably.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Still do not see why hey changed the effect this much.
    The paper version as pointed out dies at end of the turn, an effect that is already coded in the game

Anyways, it they are not willing to overhaul it they could just change it to "when this creature blocks or is blocked it loses prevent damage".

It would still be good enough for sure as an uncommon.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Plastic wrote:

won it from the recently ended qb. I was placed 78th. icon_e_biggrin.gif

yup. started using it in my Liliana deck. icon_e_smile.gif
  • span_argoman
    Options
    tm00 wrote:
    True faith censer is your friend, probably.
    When you're playing Chandra with Volcanic Rambler (and Avaricious Dragon if you have that), any support is a bad idea. But ah well. Will have to adapt.
  • jimilinho_
    jimilinho_ Posts: 292
    Options
    Having thought about this a bit more they should probably just change the wording to 'Whenever this creature blocks or become blocked it loses prevent damage'

Would make sense and would keep the card playable, maintaining the right kind of power level for an uncommon.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Languish at least works on this better than UC. 2 copies of UC played back to back, or UC + Mantle of Webs would take it out of Languish range.