Ultron Returns!: New Details

Comments

• Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    value of rewards is subjective, so no comment from me on that point.

however, I am very disappointed to see that Ultron can now move tiles. IMO this is just another example in the long list of the devs being reactive to player strategy.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    zulux21 wrote:
    Instead of crit boosts can we just get a random message that says "Sorry you got nothing." "Sucks to be you." "Try again later." "Maybe Next time." "Nope, not today." ect.
    No, you've GOT to make them whammies...

No whammies, no whammies, no whammies...

pressyourluck.jpg

Argh!
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    re: arguing over the value of Professor X rewards, everyone lost their minds the last time they put an XFW cover as the 2000 pt prize in Shield Sim, and they changed it. So keep at it, you beautiful tinykitties.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jam_Adams wrote:
    however, I am very disappointed to see that Ultron can now move tiles. IMO this is just another example in the long list of the devs being reactive to player strategy.

Can only hope his exploding tiles do a lot less damage now than compared to when he couldn't move the board or its a really cheap move by D3.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used to love the Ultron event.

Not a fan of the board moving Ultron, and I highly doubt that they actually play tested it in the round 8 levels of play. If they did not bring his match damage down, I can see him killing people with match damage before the bombs even get to the bottom.

The only positive is that now characters that react to damage will be more likely to trigger their passives without having to lose half their life to do it. Captain Marvel, Hulk, Deadpool, XFDP, Rhulk, etc. It will increase the need for true healers since the match damage will be a huge factor in later levels.

Standard Tokens and Critical Boosts should NOT be in boss battles. They should BOTH be replaced with Event Tokens. This should be standard procedure.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does anyone remember what Ultron's strongest color is? Also, if he is like any other AI goon, he will be matching his own bombs away, should save us some trouble..

Still a bit befuddled on how an X-person is the reward for an Avengers event though.
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:
    Does anyone remember what Ultron's strongest color is? Also, if he is like any other AI goon, he will be matching his own bombs away, should save us some trouble..

Still a bit befuddled on how an X-person is the reward for an Avengers event though.

the Wiki lists equal match damage across the board and power colors black/blue/green in that order (top to bottom).

My recollection is that he does match some of his bombs away on his own.

PSA reminder that either version of Steve Rogers can overwrite bombs, but that 3* Sam Wilson can't carry them away.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Psa for people who haven't played ultron before:

(1) Board control is very important. Otherwise mediocre characters with strong board control moves become much better when you need to destroy those bombs.

So characters like gsbw (3 active, targeted tile destruction powers), and IW (locking bombs and then blowing them up is fun), and qs (cheap tile manipulation) are all surprisingly effective.

(2) flaptain kicks **** against bosses. If you can get a 5+ protect tiles on the board he starts doing significant damage. Hopefully he is boosted; if so, he can drop 60k bosses in 1 or 2 strikes.

(3) as JVreal points out, passives that trigger on damage received can be a good way to deal with bosses that have massive match damage.

(4) as always, lazy cap is a pve beast. he was typically a bit slow against higher levels of ultron. But rejoice! Now we can use im40 to solve that problem and start hucking shields asap.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2016
    Ok.....I hope they do realize that Ultron matching tiles makes it way, way more difficult as now you can't plan your matches out turns ahead which was critical for this boss battle. His matches will cause his tiles to drop even faster in all rounds to the bottom row. It is going to be an epic fail unless they drastically reduce his health now. I bet they didn't even test how much more difficult it will be with Ultron matching tiles. This is stupid. What they fail to see is that now, they have reduced the value of characters in this event with board control. I used to use 1* Hawkeye in this event along with 3* damage dealers because he was actually very good for board control, however now with Ultron matching, no way I can use him.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    Come on devs, no need to be stingy on these big events.

Replace ProfX with a random 4*...aka...LT. You give out 3 LTs instead of three ProfX and the players will swoon over this event.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2016
    rkd80 wrote:

Replace ProfX with a random 4*...aka...LT. You give out 3 LTs instead of three ProfX and the players will swoon over this event.

Really? I would MUCH rather get 3 covers for the same character. I can earn 3 LTs in 7-10 days with fairly modest effort. But it's very hard for me to get 3 covers for the same character all at once. That's almost 1/4 of a character there, and 1 of each color. As long as the character isn't total **** (*cough* CHulk *cough*), it's a huge help.

I have been saying for almost a year that awarding multiple covers for the same 4* in every pve and PvP event (top 5 in pve doesn't count) would be a huge transition qualify if life improvement (probably on par with upping the iso flow 4 or 5x, or introducing fixed 5* rewards to mitigate RNG-only problems).
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Warbringa wrote:
    Ok.....I hope they do realize that Ultron matching tiles makes it way, way more difficult as now you can't plan your matches out turns ahead which was critical for this boss battle. It is going to be an epic fail unless they drastically reduce his health now. I bet they didn't even test how much more difficult it will be with Ultron matching tiles. This is stupid.

It does genuinely worry me considering how much they've messed up in boss events before. I have worrying images of the first Galactus.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    rkd80 wrote:

Really? I would MUCH rather get 3 covers for the same character. I can earn 3 LTs in 7-10 days with fairly modest effort. But it's very hard for me to get 3 covers for the same character all at once. That's almost 1/4 of a character there, and 1 of each color. As long as the character isn't total ****, it's a huge help.
    It's a tossup for me, I can use 1 of the 3 ProfX covers, but 75 CP is hard to pass up since I am a free player. Add in the CP from the rewards and you'll have 4 Classic LT pulls. The RNG is what makes that a bummer too. Could end up trading 3 ProX covers for 4 Cho's...
  • illusionist_KA
    illusionist_KA Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    Has the required characters for this event been listed? Like who are the essentials? who is boosted and so forth. I looked around but didn't see anything written about this.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    alvinlal wrote:
    Has the required characters for this event been listed? Like who are the essentials? who is boosted and so forth. I looked around but didn't see anything written about this.
    I don't think they have. The prizes from Meet Rocket and Groot (Ghost Rider, Vision and Wolverine) are probably on the Essential Characters list though.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm curious as to why this has been "streamlined" to remove an entire progression line, Ultron Prime battles, but an event like The Hunt STILL has 8 1x missions in the Florida sub
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    I guess giving ultron a move will balance the game a little bit. I remember playing this event before and sometimes I win with none of my characters being damaged.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint wrote:
    I'm curious as to why this has been "streamlined" to remove an entire progression line, Ultron Prime battles, but an event like The Hunt STILL has 8 1x missions in the Florida sub
    Oh, that's easy. It is to get rid of the free reset of the 8 hour unlock timer that AvU used to have but was not in Galactus or Civil War.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    I feel like so many people are complaining that I need to say that I really hope they don't change the PX rewards.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    dsds wrote:
    I guess giving ultron a move will balance the game a little bit. I remember playing this event before and sometimes I win with none of my characters being damaged.
    in the later rounds all the bombs ohko a character so it was basically ace it or wipe. so that's not balance because the first one was easy. don't forget a total of 2 alliances got the final round of the imhb ultron. it was not easy. all of our rosters have progressed, but him moving the board will be very hard to deal with.