*** The Hood (Classic) ***

Comments

• Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    jobob wrote:
    Why end the turn with his yellow?

Can anyone explain why?

With the cost and damage, it isn't more powerful than a lot of level 5 3* powers. Why in the world does it also end the turn?

It makes no sense... Doesn't fit with the rest of the game. Now, fix it, please.

I think the argument is that Hood's Blue makes him a dangerous force when left hiding behind enemy lines, and this change makes it more risky for him since he is stuck in front to use this powerful attack.

The other argument is that this change was enacted to encourage more Hood/Colossus team-ups where Hood can hide behind a big burly Russian...but that's a pretty poor way to cover only Red, Yellow, Black. Can we expect for a Purple, Blue, Green user to fill this gap?
  • What's the selling price please?
    Mine is level 114 with a 5,1,5 build, now at ~30k iso8.png 750 imcoin.png
  • VonMatterhorn
    VonMatterhorn Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    After using my standard Lcap + Hood team the last few PVPs, I don't totally hate the change to his yellow.

As others pointed out, you don't play Hood for his yellow, but it's a pretty powerful skill to have when you've stumbled upon 15 yellow and want to end the match a little faster. Combine it with Lcap's stun, and you may not even have to worry about Hood taking damage when exposed.

And definitely shoot two opposite corners if it's more a desperation move. Least chance of the enemy getting some crazy match-5's.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 684 Critical Contributor
    I like the new yellow power a lot. It's not like a Hood team ever needed more AP. If it didn't end the turn, the Hood would be even more overpowered.
  • axmoss
    axmoss Posts: 230 Tile Toppler
    Why is the Hood's Yellow ability reduced? I had him at lvl 5 Yellow and it generated AP and didn't end the turn. It took me a long while before I found the cover. So why the dramatic change? couldn't you just get rid of the Generate AP and keep the non ending turn?
  • axmoss wrote:
    Why is the Hood's Yellow ability reduced? I had him at lvl 5 Yellow and it generated AP and didn't end the turn. It took me a long while before I found the cover. So why the dramatic change? couldn't you just get rid of the Generate AP and keep the non ending turn?

Goddess created a situation where you could potentially chain a bunch of yellows killing charged tiles.
  • Elric_VIII
    Elric_VIII Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    ark123 wrote:
    axmoss wrote:

Goddess created a situation where you could potentially chain a bunch of yellows killing charged tiles.

So they create an overpowered mechanic and nerf another character to compensate? It's almost like game balance means nothing and they only want to sell the next new thing and to hell with everything else.

I've been trying to level up The Hood as my *** supporter, I'm rather annoyed that they just killed his yellow's utility and his black remains mostly useless.
  • After playing some I can say his yellow is not bad at all, the moment you have enough AP to fire it - you should kill someone so end of turn is not end of world, just choose upper corners to minimize cascade possibilities.
  • Elric VIII wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    axmoss wrote:

So they create an overpowered mechanic and nerf another character to compensate? It's almost like game balance means nothing and they only want to sell the next new thing and to hell with everything else.

I've been trying to level up The Hood as my *** supporter, I'm rather annoyed that they just killed his yellow's utility and his black remains mostly useless.

They killed it's utility but made it a huge nuke.

People complaining haven't actually tested it. It's a great yellow skill, specially if you weren't going to run a yellow-focused character (though yes, then he tanks)
  • I think the argument for Thor is kind of bogus but it's not a bad idea to start cleaning up some of the potentially abusive combos.

For PvP you pretty much will only be getting Twin Pistols once and it'll likely be the finishing move so there's no real changes. Unless your team is grossly outmatched (but you have a high level Hood for some reason) games don't last long enough in PvP to get 2 Twin Pistols and it's never something you try to prioritize. For PvE where it is indeed quite possible to fire off Twin Pistols multiple times against ridiculously overscaled enemies it is a nerf, but it shouldn't even concern very many people to begin with.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Leaving Hood in front when the turn ends does limit its uses even more. You simply can't use Twin Pistols if Hood will be left out front to eat an attack the next turn. Unless you're willing/able to sacrifice him.
  • mags1587 wrote:
    Leaving Hood in front when the turn ends does limit its uses even more. You simply can't use Twin Pistols if Hood will be left out front to eat an attack the next turn. Unless you're willing/able to sacrifice him.

Don't use Twin Pistols if they're about to fire an ability, just like don't match yellow (almost certainly tanked by The Hood) if they're about to fire off a strong ability. Shoot the top 2 corners and almost nothing interesting can possibly happen. Twin Pistols was never a strong cascade ability unless you went through the trouble to calculate its result, and if you did you'll just find that 90% of the time you'd still get nothing interesting for you or your opponent.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron, I agree with that strategy, just wanted to point out that needing to keep those things in mind limits the use of Twin Pistols if you luck into a lot of yellow mid-battle. You might not be able to clear that countdown/strike/etc tile if Hood will die from Chemical Reaction (or something else) directly after.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Having just repeced my hood back to 5/5/3 from 3/5/5 oh my is his yellow awesome. It doesn't matter if it ends the turn it's pretty much a finisher
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Having just repeced my hood back to 5/5/3 from 3/5/5 oh my is his yellow awesome. It doesn't matter if it ends the turn it's pretty much a finisher
    For transitioners, yes. I doubt it is a preferred yellow ability at top play. I find most 3* characters that are thought mediocre to be fine because even in their mediocre self they do better than 2*s when levelled to at least 104.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I quite like the power of the new Twin Pistols. Sure, it's risky and unlikely to be fired, but the few times I have used it I have always been satisfied with the results. Odds are good that when you have enough AP for Twin Pistols the damage will be enough to take an enemy out.
  • What level should hood be at?

Pro's/Cons of lower level hood due to defensive vulnerabilities?
  • dijidiji
    dijidiji Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    105. Depending on placement in the lineup, OBW can still steal blue AP. This is a good level for the 2*->3* transition.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    60-something, because he has no levels of blue and is thus worthless.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    if you are transitioning yes, keep him hidden. If you have maxed rosters, you need all the hitpoints you can get.