*** The Hood (Classic) ***

Comments

• babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Mine is 166 with a 553 build.

It was a BIG mistake. I love the damage of Hood's yellow since the skill change but he's a colour hog. Even if I fully level X-Force and Thor, Hood continues to tank 2 colours.

The optimum Hood build is one where his yellow match strength is less than a 3*'s tertiary yellow. In other words..you want a character like mags to tank yellow for your hood on offense. I believe this is level 117 give or take a level or 2.

Why do this? Save on health pack use.

The amount of matches you can have with hood in your lineup will substantially increase and save on health packs. Defensively you barely miss out. It's just a 1000 or so health and will almost never be the difference maker in a win or a loss. Seriously, think of the last game where you lost control of the match because your enemy hood had under 1000hp. It almost never happens. You either lose control of the match from the start...or you'll get the AP for an offensive power and blow him away.

I'm still set on 553 being the optimum build for Hood despite being in the severe minority on these forums. His yellow is an excellent finisher for matches and can sometimes destroy key CD tiles and the like when things get desperate in a longer game.
  • Mine's 160 like the rest of the varsity team. I would have had to keep him so low level not to tank something that he'd be at constant risk of getting killed by any AOE attacks, so I figured the extra hit points were worth the extra exposure.
  • FaerieMyst
    FaerieMyst Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    166 with 5Y/5B/5Bl

I love Hood. He was the second character I fully leveled.

Generally, I play 2 hitters and one support person. Hood can function in both roles. His blue is great if he does nothing but sit back and steal AP. His yellow is a powerful damage dealer. If you regularly play characters with countdown tiles then his black is very useful.
  • The Hood is much stronger on defense than offense and having him at a lower level makes it way easier to take him out on defense where he should be attacked first almost always. In the current meta game he's probably going to always have yellow/blue due to a lack of viable characters in strong in those colors unless he's grossly underleveled (note that he gets both of those colors over Thor 4*). Likewise it takes about 30 levels to raise the weak color by 1 so again he's likely to own those colors if he happens to have the highest in a weak color where no one else is strong unless you have him 30 levels below everyone else which of course makes it a lot easier for anyone to attack him too. If you're worried about this kind of stuff you should be working on raising your featured character to around level 120 because that's 180 boosted and that should be able to cover all of the colors whatever that featured character shares with The Hood as well as any mutually weak color. And if the featured character is someone like Dr. Octopus that no one can justify leveling up you might have to have The Hood tank 4 colors when paired with a 4*. For example with X Force he'd get yellow, blue, purple, and red. With Thor 4* he'd get yellow, blue, black, and purple. In both cases you end up with a massive health pack drain. There is indeed a price to pay for having The Hood on your side, as powerful as he is.

I have him at level 166 because there's no reason to not to if you can afford it.
  • I have Hood at level 166 because he needs all the health he can get.

Also:
    FaerieMyst wrote:
    166 with 5Y/5B/5Bl
    Look out, an AI from PVE has gained sentience.
  • 135 because that's the level he hides behind Captain America on Blue. I still use him on PvE a lot behind Cap.

I'm pretty close to leveling him all the way to max as a Sentry/XF partner but not quite there yet.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    140 to hide behind secondary yellowtile.png chars like LT. lerysh has a point though, should have stopped at 135 to hide on bluetile.png too
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    My hood is same level as all the rest of my big guns. I switch teams around a lot, so his tanking is not a huge deal, but personally when I see a low level hood I think "yum!" He gets taken out too easily at anything below max level. I think the most egregious case I've seen was one person leaving his fully covered hood at lvl 40. Killed that one with practically just match damage.

Let him be the best he can be. Makes his yellow nuke that much more effective too. Sometimes it's worth trading him in to kill someone about to fire a dangerous skill late in the match, especially if I'm done climbing.
  • BigOldBob
    BigOldBob Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    My hood is at 162 because of doctor doom.

Why?

a level 140 doctor doom tanks blue and black for black panther then BP is not higher then level 162 and BP can tank all colors of a hood at same level.

So then I want that BP tanks for hood, he has to be at same level and when I want doctor doom tanking blue and black for BP, BP has to be level 162 at max.

I think sacrificing 4 levels for the gain of an additional tank which plays (very) well with BP is a good trade.
  • It seems like maxing him out has the bulk of the vote.

But 117 also has its merits.

Thanks for all the input =)
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    My hood is same level as all the rest of my big guns. I switch teams around a lot, so his tanking is not a huge deal, but personally when I see a low level hood I think "yum!" He gets taken out too easily at anything below max level. I think the most egregious case I've seen was one person leaving his fully covered hood at lvl 40. Killed that one with practically just match damage.

Let him be the best he can be. Makes his yellow nuke that much more effective too. Sometimes it's worth trading him in to kill someone about to fire a dangerous skill late in the match, especially if I'm done climbing.
    Eh, even a maxed hood goes down with one x-force anyway
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    The Hood is much stronger on defense than offense and having him at a lower level makes it way easier to take him out on defense where he should be attacked first almost always. In the current meta game he's probably going to always have yellow/blue due to a lack of viable characters in strong in those colors unless he's grossly underleveled (note that he gets both of those colors over Thor 4*). Likewise it takes about 30 levels to raise the weak color by 1 so again he's likely to own those colors if he happens to have the highest in a weak color where no one else is strong unless you have him 30 levels below everyone else which of course makes it a lot easier for anyone to attack him too. If you're worried about this kind of stuff you should be working on raising your featured character to around level 120 because that's 180 boosted and that should be able to cover all of the colors whatever that featured character shares with The Hood as well as any mutually weak color. And if the featured character is someone like Dr. Octopus that no one can justify leveling up you might have to have The Hood tank 4 colors when paired with a 4*. For example with X Force he'd get yellow, blue, purple, and red. With Thor 4* he'd get yellow, blue, black, and purple. In both cases you end up with a massive health pack drain. There is indeed a price to pay for having The Hood on your side, as powerful as he is.

I have him at level 166 because there's no reason to not to if you can afford it.

This...
  • 1 yellowflag.png 1 blueflag.png

reason > no luck
  • 166 and 3/5/5. It may be correct at this point to swap back to 5/5/3 since icon_sentry.png is pretty much a PVE only character now (especially for me since I'm using GoT icon_thor.png and XF icon_wolverine.png almost exclusively now).
    I have a second icon_hood.png who is 3/3/3 currently I think. Pulled another cover for him earlier today.

He could get maxed when I grab another few covers for him.
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    f9ick.jpg
  • So last night I was playing First Avenger. I used Xforce and Hood. I used Hoods twin pistols ability and scored a 5 match in the cascade and it said "extra turn". My turn still ended since I used twin pistols. To me that's pretty one sided and denied me an extra turn. I have used TP pre nerf and the extra turn would be awarded before. What's the deal with that?
  • My Hood is 166 because I'm not playing metagames. I'm playing Puzzle Quest.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    They seem to have changed how extra turns work after a turn-ending power (which is to say, the extra turn doesn't count) a couple months ago. It was weirder before, because you'd get the extra turn, but then lose it if you used another skill. The new behavior is at least more consistent, although I'd rather you got the free turn.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just updating best character combo thread following new yellow.

Any obvious changes from:

Hood and:
    - 2* Black Widow + [Ares or Captain America or Human Torch or Punisher or Sentry or 2*/3* Thor or 2* Wolverine or 3* Wolverine]
    - 3* Black Widow + 3* Magneto
    - Black Panther + [3* Black Widow or Punisher or She-Hulk]
    - Captain America
    - Captain America + [3* Captain Marvel or Hulk or Punisher or 4* Wolverine]
    - Daken + [Human Torch or Sentry]
    - 2* Hawkeye + 2* Magneto
    - Human Torch
    - 2*/3* Thor + [Colossus or 3* Magneto or Nick Fury]
    - Sentry
    - 4* Thor

Thanks...
  • dippdogg2002
    dippdogg2002 Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    I have been wondering and reading through.the forums if.I fire twin pistols in the corner it.doesn't matter it still does the same amount of.damage? You don't have to.figure out an optimal placement spot? Kinda confusing sorry for.the newb question icon_e_biggrin.gif