*** The Hood (Classic) ***

Options

Comments

• Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Assuming Sentry bombing is still viable albeit not as fast is that you'll want 2 Hood's 5/5/3 and 3/5/5 that solves all your problems
  • Pwuz_ wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Since TP no longer generates AP I see why you wouldn't just shoot the top corners unless you saw a spot you can shoot TP that cascade into a match 5 (in that case you'd get your turn back) in most cases. If you need to get rid of a nasty special tile that looks like an appropriate tradeoff to put The Hood in front.

It's been a LONG time since my Hood was less than 5 Yellow, but if I recall correctly, EVEN IF you can manage a match 5 scenario by cascade you DO NOT get your turn back.

It was fairly rare that I could pull that type of move off, but I seem to recall being shocked by that since I had planned out that cascade so carefully.

Was pretty sure you get your turn back on Supernova if you somehow cascaded into a match 5. Not that this is anything you can do with any regularity with TP or Supernova, of course.
  • You don't get another turn if TP gets you a 5-match. It force-ends your turn. This is for 4 or less covers in TP's current form. This is from recent play experience.
  • russreid91
    russreid91 Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    Options
    We playtested both versions, and making TP continue to end the turn at level 5 was easier to understand, the added damage led to more exciting moments, and the turn ending kept it feeling different from other abilities. It comes down to people who played the version of the ability we went with having more fun.

This still doesn't make sense to me, there are lots of characters whose abilities change with 5 covers. Hood starts stealing yellow at 5 Blue, all CD tiles go off at 5 Black. Xforce generates AP at 5 Black, LCap can overwrite all tiles at 5 Red and 5 Blue. Are people getting confused on those as well. And the not ending a turn is a good thing, so even if I don't understand why my turn isn't suddenly ending (because I didn't read the description) it is something that they should be happy with. This is what make the 5th cover so great and why most people tend to go with 553 or 355 builds and not 454 because the 5th cover is the one that makes a real difference.

The only exciting moments that I can see coming out of having my turn automatically end is that I will be excited if my Hood is still around for my next turn.

It's not the end of the world if TP ends the turn, it just really means I will only ever be using it to end the match or if I am truly desperate and hoping for a miracle win.
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    As a current 3/5/5 player, I recognize that TP will end my turn. Usually I am only able to get the AP needed for it after a good cascade that also brings in other AP. In these circumstances, I play out my other characters abilities first and then use TP when I expect my turn to be over. SInce I am leaving Hood exposed, I would only use TP if I can see clusters of other AP that will allow me to recharge for another series of moves. In other words always use TP at the end of your runs ...
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    russreid91 wrote:
    We playtested both versions, and making TP continue to end the turn at level 5 was easier to understand, the added damage led to more exciting moments, and the turn ending kept it feeling different from other abilities. It comes down to people who played the version of the ability we went with having more fun.

This still doesn't make sense to me, there are lots of characters whose abilities change with 5 covers. Hood starts stealing yellow at 5 Blue, all CD tiles go off at 5 Black. Xforce generates AP at 5 Black, LCap can overwrite all tiles at 5 Red and 5 Blue.

I'll give you X-Force's Surgical Strike, just on basic principle, but the other ones you mentioned all change every level in a predictable pattern. At what? Level 3 and Level 5 on 3* Captain America's Red and Blue are able to overwrite protect/strike/attack/web tiles and all tiles, respectively. The half-way point and the last level. This intuitive enough for the average gamer, I'll grant you, but not really the average user (and there is a difference). The Hood works in a similar fashion, starting stealing two colors and adding two more halfway and at the end. Another example would be Moonstone, being able to Warp two colors at one cover and adding another each level. This is a far more predictable pattern, but lest I remind you how many "bug reports" there are about Moonstone's Gravity Warp?
  • russreid91
    russreid91 Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    Options
    russreid91 wrote:

This still doesn't make sense to me, there are lots of characters whose abilities change with 5 covers. Hood starts stealing yellow at 5 Blue, all CD tiles go off at 5 Black. Xforce generates AP at 5 Black, LCap can overwrite all tiles at 5 Red and 5 Blue.

I'll give you X-Force's Surgical Strike, just on basic principle, but the other ones you mentioned all change every level in a predictable pattern. At what? Level 3 and Level 5 on 3* Captain America's Red and Blue are able to overwrite protect/strike/attack/web tiles and all tiles, respectively. The half-way point and the last level. This intuitive enough for the average gamer, I'll grant you, but not really the average user (and there is a difference). The Hood works in a similar fashion, starting stealing two colors and adding two more halfway and at the end. Another example would be Moonstone, being able to Warp two colors at one cover and adding another each level. This is a far more predictable pattern, but lest I remind you how many "bug reports" there are about Moonstone's Gravity Warp?

Fair enough and I did once post to the Bug forum about Gravity Warp icon_redface.gif however what about GSBW where Sniper Rifle suddenly starts doing AOE damage or Hulk Anger where he starts doing damage to his own team (pretty sure that only happens at later levels). I guess what is also my point is these are good things, so even if they are a bit confusing they are in the players favour, I don't get Demiurge_Will's comment about it being more exciting and fun to have it end your turn. The only reason that I can see this really being an issue is when it is the AI suddenly doing it to you, but GSBW should fall into that as well then. Other then that I can't see even a novice player going "Drat, it did a lot of damage and now I get to make a move as well, tinykitty those Devs."
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    KevinMark wrote:
    You don't get another turn if TP gets you a 5-match. It force-ends your turn. This is for 4 or less covers in TP's current form. This is from recent play experience.

I agree. I respecced down to 4 yellowflag.png a few weeks ago when I got an extra blackflag.png I've had three times that TP created a match*5 and I did not get an extra turn.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZeiramMR wrote:
    Before I had 5 Yellow, if I did something that generated a Critical Hit tile, it wouldn't end my turn immediately but if I fired off another power it would do so at that point.
    It definitely used to work that way -- it came up in the bugs forum a lot. I'm not sure which update "fixed" it to the current, more punishing behavior.

Be like me: boycott powers that end the turn.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KevinMark wrote:
    Playtester A: My Hood just died. I dunno what's happening but it's really exciting and fun. It's also different. I didn't even read the ability description.

Playtester B: Did you use Beast's blue skill? It makes matches for free and doesn't end your turn.

Playtester A: Whoa dude! That sounds cool. Totally a fun and useful ability.

Playtester B: Let's microwave our balls!
  • hesjingixen
    hesjingixen Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So is no one else as pissed about the changes to Hood as I am? I mean, they're basically changing his yellow from the power that makes him good to something marginally better than Grey Widow's Red, and oh yeah, it goes back to ending the turn now. ****? I liked that he was mostly utility before, and now he's going to be some sort damage utility hybrid.

On a personal note, the first character I got to max level was 2 star Hawkeye, 2 weeks later, they nerfed him. Guess who I got to max level 1 week ago? That's right, Hood -> *NERF* I'm scared to raise anyone else to max level, because it seems like the nerf hammer is just following me around.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't play Hood for his yellow.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So is no one else as pissed about the changes to Hood as I am? I mean, they're basically changing his yellow from the power that makes him good to something marginally better than Grey Widow's Red, and oh yeah, it goes back to ending the turn now. ****? I liked that he was mostly utility before, and now he's going to be some sort damage utility hybrid.

On a personal note, the first character I got to max level was 2 star Hawkeye, 2 weeks later, they nerfed him. Guess who I got to max level 1 week ago? That's right, Hood -> *NERF* I'm scared to raise anyone else to max level, because it seems like the nerf hammer is just following me around.

Perhaps I've got a different view of his changes, but 2* Hawkeye got a serious buff. Being able to control where those countdown tiles land makes them far more likely to actually resolve. His new purple has a real purpose vs his old purple just kept him out of the line of fire (Pro-tip: Old Hawkeye was the last person you should be bothering to target anyway since he had such a low chance of getting his powers off!) His new Blue is pretty useless as a simple stun on a count-down tile is just lame, but something has to be Level 3, and the developers made it easy for us to choose this way.

His rankings were constantly dropping till that buff & to quote mischiefmaker in the June Rankings...
    33. Hawkeye (modern), -3

pwerwcz.png

Seriously, if they would just let Hawkeye place his countdown tiles instead of putting them in random places, that'd probably be enough to make him playable in the 2* range.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The only shred of logic I see is this.

If the AP you would have gotten to do more things this turn and thus win the game with an extra X-Force, having Hood do massive damage essential does the same thing and the end turn doesn't matter.

I'm not saying I agree, I'm just saying that would be a logical reason to leave it as is.
  • So is no one else as pissed about the changes to Hood as I am? I mean, they're basically changing his yellow from the power that makes him good to something marginally better than Grey Widow's Red, and oh yeah, it goes back to ending the turn now. ****? I liked that he was mostly utility before, and now he's going to be some sort damage utility hybrid.

I went through the same basic thing. I was playing, having a ton of fun, but not really involved on the message boards or the like. I had gotten a few characters maxed (paid in a little), and decided to pay in ~$50 because I enjoyed playing so much, I bought covers to get Spiderman maxed. A week later he was nerfed to **** compared to what he was before that. I come on the boards, see he was up for nerfing, there was no *warning don't pay to get covers for this character we are going to nuke him* when I payed in game. I asked for a refund because I would never have bought him in the week later state he was in (though D3 support channels) and was denied, so I took it up with GP and got it resolved. That was my last $ spent, now I play, have fun, and don't much care if they wreck the characters I play because I'm not paying to get/level them.

So long story short, I have fun, don't pay to get covers, and just enjoy the game. If nerfing bothers you then take a step back, enjoy the game for what it is, and don't get engrossed in it. If nerfing doesn't bother someone, or really love the game more than the **** annoys them, then they might play/pay differently.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I think if you're playing Hood for Pistols and not dormammu's aid, then there's probably something wrong. Pistols is a nice skill, but dormammu's aid is what makes or break the character, and seeing as it's still unchanged, he remains top tier.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I was thinking about the timing of the Hood revisions and (if my read on the implications that these will come 'next week' are accurate...) - apologies if this realization was posted earlier or elsewhere -

The Hood revisions will feature prominently in the final phase of Thick as Thieves. The Hood is a featured enemy in several nodes on the final map - your first taste of a revised Twin Pistols will be a boosted Hood taking a bunch of yellow generated by 2 maggia goons and downing members of your team with 1-shot.

This will be the final phase gauntlet you will need to fight through to get your Rocket & Groot cards. Prepare yourself.
  • sav49
    sav49 Posts: 5
    Options
    Yeah, this change essentially does nothing whatsoever to his PvP effectiveness. It is like if thy changed smash and left anger alone, no one would care at all.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I think if you're playing Hood for Pistols and not dormammu's aid, then there's probably something wrong. Pistols is a nice skill, but dormammu's aid is what makes or break the character, and seeing as it's still unchanged, he remains top tier.
    Well with x-force, the only red/blue/purple fillers that actually have a non-situational yellow dump than just wasting it on an unnecessary recovery are LT and NF, and you'd never use intimidate
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Well with x-force, the only red/blue/purple fillers that actually have a non-situational yellow dump than just wasting it on an unnecessary recovery are LT and NF, and you'd never use intimidate

You do know some of us DON'T have a fully covered X-Force. There is a LARGE section of the player base that doesn't in fact.

Don't get me wrong, it's awesome if you have one at a usable level, but please don't act like all characters exist purely to be paired with him.