Cupcakes,for or against?

Comments

• Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's all about ethics in match-3 games.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    Is leaving a 320+ Groot - 290 Starlord - 405 Hulkbuster when you have multiple championed 5* characters considered throwing a match? How about a 266 Cage-Fist? How about a 400+ Panther with two 1* characters?

Just curious where the 'integrity' of PvP line is.

Are you are you putting them in deliberately so one of your friends can beat them? That seems to be the line.

Fair enough.

See to me...the above (all real life examples btw) are way worse than the 2* opponents, because all, especially the first one, are designed to be restrictive to the small subset of people who can actually clear them. All players in a veteran PvP bracket can clear a 2* team.

Btw...throwing matches is what used to happen, when players lost on purpose to the AI, back before they nerfed defensive wins. The offensive success rate in this game is gotta be in the high 90s (because of the risk/reward nature people don't fight high above their class). So all a lesser roster doing is making those points more accessible.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pylgrim wrote:
    SpiderKev wrote:
    If we could get rid of cupcakes and Madrox the game would be darn near perfect! icon_e_wink.gif
    Watch it buddy or I won't wait next time I see you out. icon_lol.gif

In all seriousness though. I see a lot of players in this thread that seem to think they're entitled to a fast pass to the top levels of play simply for showing up. Or at the very least a fast pass to top progression. I have news for you; you're not. Nothing in life is free. You have to work for it and put in your time just like the people that have already been playing this game for 2 years or more.

I know you're used to getting a trophy just for sitting on the bench and picking your knows while the real players win, but the real world doesn't work that way.

Maybe there are some people like that here? I don't know, I guess you know players' names better. But take in account that there are also people like me, day 827 who due an extremely (and well documented) bad luck run got held behind in the 3* transition and only now is finally breaking through. I don't want anything for free and I've been putting in my time as much as anybody. But my roster some times have trouble battling the people near 1k points, let alone 1.3k. Is it bad of me using cupcakes as the only way to attain the scores that luckier people than me were attaining by day 700? And I can't be the only one in this position.
    Dude that is absolutely terrible luck and I sympathize with you. There are definite problems with progression in this game being based largely on luck and a lot of people are feeling that even more now with the 5* releases. That said, cupcaking isn't going to fix your **** token draw luck either.
    OJSP wrote:
    I can understand what you're saying here.. but, won't that paint a target on you or your alliance and make hopping for top10 placements harder for your alliance?
    Paint a target? Likely. Impact placement? likely not. I regularly make t5/t10 since "going rogue". I came second last event without # checking, only targeting two specific alliances, and having multiple players "assigned" to enforce me. The problem is, most of the high scoring alliances can't effectively deal with players that play this way. There's a lot of reasons why enforcing is mostly ineffective, but I'm not going to get in to them all here. Suffice it to say, with the exception of a few very good individuals, most players/alliances can't/won't enforce their way out of a paper bag.

So don't believe the hype. Not everyone has to play nice. There's no rewards for scoring over 1300.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Der_Lex wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:
    The funny part lies in grown men/women getting mad in a game that was originally designed for children.

There's a kettle I would like you to meet. I think you two would get along.
    Any examples of me gettin mad in a game designed for kids lex?
    No didnt think so.

If you really didn't get worked up about the game at all, this entire thread wouldn't exist.
    Again,im not worked up.im explaining why i dont agree with ccs in the competitive part of the game,while also reading about why ppl think they should stay.Everyones opinion is valid because they are entitled to their own,although some posters i suspect have jumped on the bandwagon because they arent used to the versus part in pvp
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    Is leaving a 320+ Groot - 290 Starlord - 405 Hulkbuster when you have multiple championed 5* characters considered throwing a match? How about a 266 Cage-Fist? How about a 400+ Panther with two 1* characters?

Just curious where the 'integrity' of PvP line is.

Are you are you putting them in deliberately so one of your friends can beat them? That seems to be the line.
    You know, when you bake, you are beating an easy team with an easy team... so the difficulty level isn't any less, it's 2* against 2*, not really different than 4* against 4* if you want to look at it that way. Some have wiped to cupcakes trying to bake because of AI cascades.

The AI isn't lying down or losing on purpose, the AI is playing every match to the best of its abilities.

This isn't like the retreat climbing that was going on previously... that would fall under your definition of throwing matches, losing specifically to boost your opponents scores. You are actually beating an opponent who has actually beaten another opponent... nothing underhanded about legitimately winning a match.

I also don't agree with you calling cupcakes an exploit. Is shield hopping an exploit? You are deliberately hiding your points from other people artificially drying up the shard. It was intended for people to live life away from the game without threat from retaliation, but using it within its guidelines gives you an advantage. What is your definition of exploit? I think it varies greatly from the dictionary.com definition.

exploit2
    [ik-sploit]
    verb (used with object)
    1. to utilize, especially for profit; turn to practical account:
    to exploit a business opportunity.
    2. to use selfishly for one's own ends:
    employers who exploit their workers.
    3. to advance or further through exploitation; promote:
    He exploited his new movie through a series of guest appearances.

Every single version applies to PVP as it is designed and intended to be played. For profit, you are literally taking other players points to improve your score to improve your placement. Selfishly for your own ends, PVP is about a players individual placement, to score the best you can individually by pitting you up against other individuals. To advance, promote. Here is an easy team someone put out, I will take it and advance, and IF I FEEL GENEROUS, I will leave a lower team since I don't require an A Team to beat it and I'm shielding anyway.
  • So I found the problem in these two posts which are impossible to read, so I'll highlight the important aspects....
    Not once have i whined.i dont have a maxed 5 star either,just a usable one,because i have been playing this game from the start.im on day 853 and through learning the mechanics of the game i have learnt when to climb and hop,when to put down a shield etc.these guys that are eating ccs from 850 up are going to be stuck when ccs are eventually elimated from the game because its the only way they know how to score high. The alliance im in and the slice im in hits ccs because we dont want our slice to become like 3 of the other 4 slices where 3k is the norm.we have been effective at doing this and will continue to do so.also in the last event hardly any1 in our bc baked and most if not all of us made t10.Im aware this could be interpreted as bullying but i disagree,and as many of you have pointed out ppl should be allowed to play how they want,this i agree on.im not a whale,to date i have spent twice on this game,both times recently on the anniversary sale and the android sale.I always say to people if you want to get ahead in this game be prepared to spend time or money.ccs are like playing a game on easy mode,ill pick hard everytime because i like the challenge and think there is more to be learnt from it.i also take greater pride in beating a maxed buffed 4 star team/fairly well covered 5 star team than in doing a 300 pt hop.the thrill in mpq for me is hopping at high lvl beating comparable teams to mine as quick as i can because i know there is someone lower down preparing to do the same to me.maybe im a dying breed in this game,i see a lot of you think there is nothing wrong with hopping from 850 to 2k hitting nothing but 2 star teams,thats fine and is yr opinion.when people start bragging that they are hitting these scores and they are suddenly a top player GTFO

See,this is what i didnt want this thread to turn into.Petty name calling,sly insults and "im right,so you must all be wrong"The system im using is called player vs player which is fight for your points by whatever means necessary.if some1 is threatening yr placement hit them.if some1 wants to put out an easy team so players can have an easy go of it then hit them too.Your only allegiance is to the alliance you play in,everyone else is a target.if these bakers are helping others to threaten your ranking cut them off at the source and laugh at the butthurt messages you receive through line,because the 2 star teams that are supposed to be worth 50+pts are actually worthless now.This is my version of pvp,and i must say i enjoy it a lot more than the silly hand holding ask or wait that pvp had become for me.If people want to bake in the slice i play in i have no problem with that,not one.But be prepared to be targeted.

Also a line break?this isnt poetry my friend.
    So basically jim thinks that his way to play PvP is the best way, and he is upset that people are playing it differently and scoring higher. jim plays in S5 in an alliance known for being complete jerks. Most of them are whales and have spent a lot of money to have fully developed rosters. Most of them can float with 5* teams and reach very high scores without ever needing to shield. Most of them are bitter because they have spent a lot of money to be able to score that high, and they don't like that others who haven't spent as much can score that high as well, and so they try to **** all over everyone else's PvP experience out of spite. Last event of last season they all stayed out of our BCs, stayed unshielded all event, and continuously sniped everyone in the bracket, and then dumped points to each other so that when they sniped us again it would hurt more. Really classy alliance jim is in. They wanted to teach us all a lesson - I guess the lesson was that they are all jerks? I don't know. I still hit my 1300 as did most of the other usual bakers in the group, so yeah, I think the only lesson was that they are jerks who feel like they should be able to force everyone else to play by their own fabricated rules (which they don't follow themselves as they constantly eat cakes, and regularly bake them as well).

jim doesn't spend money however, he is not a whale. I also play in S5 and I regularly pass him on my climb to T10 where he never finishes - because his roster isn't as strong as the rest of the guys in his alliance (he only has a 360 OML and 4 champed 4*s), and he doesn't spend enough money to be able to consistently shield hop. So he wastes his time sniping cupcakes while continuing to get hit by bakers on their climb to top 10, never getting there himself because he doesn't spend on shields like the bakers do. Obviously he is bitter about it.

Lastly, jim seems to think that placement rewards matter. It's kind of surprising for someone that has been playing for as long as he has, but he hasn't figured out that no one in the top10 is really there for the rewards. Yeah, a handful of guys will chase that #1 spot, and I'll concede that the 2k and 5k ISO rewards are a nice bonus. But for the most part, no one cares about placement - they just want to hit progression.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    icon_eek.gif I'm against them. I've never hit 1300. I occasionally make 1000, but not on a regular interval. I'm think I'm more casual
    In other words, you're vehemently against something that has absolutely no impact on your gameplay.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Last event of last season they all stayed out of our BCs, stayed unshielded all event, and continuously sniped everyone in the bracket, and then dumped points to each other so that when they sniped us again it would hurt more.
    So they view CCs as, throwing fights, and to combat it, they legitimately THROW FIGHTS!
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Again,im not worked up.im explaining why i dont agree with ccs in the competitive part of the game,while also reading about why ppl think they should stay.Everyones opinion is valid because they are entitled to their own,although some posters i suspect have jumped on the bandwagon because they arent used to the versus part in pvp

If you're truly a competitive player, you'll score high regardless of cupcakes. Nobody who should 'rightfully' be in the top 10 is being blocked out because of them.

But what defines competitive? Now I'm not going to say that this game is competely brainless, but it's also not a game of high strategy and tactics. The way PvP is set up now, those that score high are those that are willing to spend, on shields and/or big packs to (hopefully) increase their 5* drop rate. Being competitive at this game is basically competitive spending.

If that's your thing, however, that's fine. I'm not going to tell anybody how to enjoy this game. Personally, I don't really care about score and placement, and probably wouldn't even shield beyond 1300 if not for my alliance. For me the fun is in the collecting, but the ways in which I can get those 4 and 5* covers that I don't have yet are pretty limited, making that 1300 prog reward a necessary evil. Cupcakes are a nice, hassle-free way to get there, something that keeps me from spending more time on the game than I want to. Now if they were to go away, I have a strong enough roster to still get there anyway, but A: it will probably feel like 'work' more often than it should and B: 3-4* transitioners don't have that luxury, so the game would become more frustrating for them than it often already is.

So cooperation in the game is fine by me. So is refusing to cooperate: everyone who bakes, knows the risks they're running, and nobody but the people in the battlechats/shield rooms has signed the gentlemen's agreement on PvP in their own blood or other bodily fluid of choice. But going out of your way to hit cupcakes, though, that just seems like a **** move to me, something that's just as much, if not more, a way to impose your views of how the game should be played on other players, and actively trying to ruin their fun. And worst of all, it doesn't even make the game more 'competitive'. Without cupcakes, the same top players will still be at the top, even if the scores overall would become slightly lower (which I doubt). The only people who would feel the loss are those that are in the middle of the pack to begin with. So good job, I guess?
  • simonsez
    If you get to 1300 points off unshielded players, you are taking those points from other players and stopping them from getting progression rewards
    No, because to get to 1300, you're hitting people with more points than you have, so they've already gotten their progression. And they're likely already shielded anyway. There's a lot wrong in your assertion.
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    people should be able to play the way they want and i dont see why there is even a debate about cupcakes. You want to cupcakes your way up to 2k? More power to you. You want it the hard way, only hitting 5* teams? more power to you.. you want going rogue? cool. You want to play nice, shield check and coordinate? why not.. im tired of all those mpq ayatollahs who want to dictate the way this game is supposed to be played. If its in the game, its in the game.. so if peeps find it fun to shoot 2* all pvps, who are you to judge them? like i wont judge peeps who think sniping everyone into oblivion is the way to go.. this is a game and many here seems to forget about it..
  • jimstarooney
    edited March 2016
    So I found the problem in these two posts which are impossible to read, so I'll highlight the important aspects....
    Not once have i whined.i dont have a maxed 5 star either,just a usable one,because i have been playing this game from the start.im on day 853 and through learning the mechanics of the game i have learnt when to climb and hop,when to put down a shield etc.these guys that are eating ccs from 850 up are going to be stuck when ccs are eventually elimated from the game because its the only way they know how to score high. The alliance im in and the slice im in hits ccs because we dont want our slice to become like 3 of the other 4 slices where 3k is the norm.we have been effective at doing this and will continue to do so.also in the last event hardly any1 in our bc baked and most if not all of us made t10.Im aware this could be interpreted as bullying but i disagree,and as many of you have pointed out ppl should be allowed to play how they want,this i agree on.im not a whale,to date i have spent twice on this game,both times recently on the anniversary sale and the android sale.I always say to people if you want to get ahead in this game be prepared to spend time or money.ccs are like playing a game on easy mode,ill pick hard everytime because i like the challenge and think there is more to be learnt from it.i also take greater pride in beating a maxed buffed 4 star team/fairly well covered 5 star team than in doing a 300 pt hop.the thrill in mpq for me is hopping at high lvl beating comparable teams to mine as quick as i can because i know there is someone lower down preparing to do the same to me.maybe im a dying breed in this game,i see a lot of you think there is nothing wrong with hopping from 850 to 2k hitting nothing but 2 star teams,thats fine and is yr opinion.when people start bragging that they are hitting these scores and they are suddenly a top player GTFO

See,this is what i didnt want this thread to turn into.Petty name calling,sly insults and "im right,so you must all be wrong"The system im using is called player vs player which is fight for your points by whatever means necessary.if some1 is threatening yr placement hit them.if some1 wants to put out an easy team so players can have an easy go of it then hit them too.Your only allegiance is to the alliance you play in,everyone else is a target.if these bakers are helping others to threaten your ranking cut them off at the source and laugh at the butthurt messages you receive through line,because the 2 star teams that are supposed to be worth 50+pts are actually worthless now.This is my version of pvp,and i must say i enjoy it a lot more than the silly hand holding ask or wait that pvp had become for me.If people want to bake in the slice i play in i have no problem with that,not one.But be prepared to be targeted.

Also a line break?this isnt poetry my friend.
    Let me clear this up a bit...

So basically jim thinks that his way to play PvP is the best way, and he is upset that people are playing it differently and scoring higher.
    Still not upset
    jim plays in S5 in an alliance known for being complete jerks. Not true,we actually look out for each other more than any other alliance i have been in.and i have been in a fewMost of them are whales and have spent a lot of money to have fully developed rosters. This is true Most of them can float with 5* teams and reach very high scores without ever needing to shield. This is also true Most of them are bitter because they have spent a lot of money to be able to score that high, and they don't like that others who haven't spent as much can score that high as well, and so they try to tinykitty all over everyone else's PvP experience out of spite.Not true,The guys in gibbos bc can only dream about scoring the same pts as our top guys.They were also doing this before 5 stars were conceived Last event of last season they all stayed out of our BCs, stayed unshielded all event, and continuously sniped everyone in the bracket, and then dumped points to each other so that when they sniped us again it would hurt more.We shielded much later,when we had overtaken the guys in the other bc,thus forcing their hand Really classy alliance jim is in.Thanks,it is what it is They wanted to teach us all a lesson - I guess the lesson was that they are all jerks? I don't know. I still hit my 1300 as did most of the other usual bakers in the group, so yeah, I think the only lesson was that they are jerks who feel like they should be able to force everyone else to play by their own fabricated rules (which they don't follow themselves as they constantly eat cakes, and regularly bake
    This is also true,however baking isnt mandatory in ours

jim doesn't spend money however, he is not a whale. I also play in S5 and I regularly pass him on my climb to T10 where he never finishesI almost always finish t10,i have even pushed this guy out before to do so.Bitterness eh? - because his roster isn't as strong as the rest of the guys in his alliance (he only has a 360 OML and 4 champed 4*s), and he doesn't spend enough money to be able to consistently shield hop.I dont spend any money So he wastes his time sniping cupcakes while continuing to get donationsby bakers on their climb to top 10, never getting there himself because he doesn't spend on shields like the bakers do. I rarely shield below 1200Obviously he is bitter about itmust be

Lastly, jim seems to think that placement rewards matter.To a f2p player they do,100hp alliance,100hp placement and the 100 i get from the next event deems it so It's kind of surprising for someone that has been playing for as long as he has, but he hasn't figured out that no one in the top10 is really there for the rewards.See above Yeah, a handful of guys will chase that #1 spot, and I'll concede that the 2k and 5k ISO rewards are a nice bonus. But for the most part, no one cares about placement - they just want to hit progression.
    icon_e_smile.gifi knew one would pop up
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    266863d4-cf42-4fe8-a7d1-874a4977440e_zpscitbb4sk.png

b8e13eec-065d-4f92-963e-000be51b1748_zpsrefifvee.png
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,321 Chairperson of the Boards
    You are still not getting it,and trying to decrypt everything i say about the way i play into a form of bullying,its not.Its player vs player let me spell it out for you more clearly...If im hopping or climbing to shield and i see a team with good points that is not part of my alliance or in the bc i share i will hit it,2 star team 4 star team it doesnt matter to me i will hit it for as many times as i can.if i see some1 baking in the same slice as me i will call it out in our bc and if im out i will hit as many times as i can,thats the risk the bakers take im afraid.

You are the one not getting my point. While I personally find your behaviour disgusting, self-serving and blatantly anti-social, that's not what I was criticising, but rather the fact that you hypocritically defend your indefensible "playstyle" all while condemning the playstyle of other people. You sound like a thief that not only feels that he has the right to steal, but who also tries to discredit and belittle the people who actually make a living by working.

So go, keep doing whatever you want and keep believing it's your god-given right and that you are right for believing so and that anyone who disagrees is a whiny pansy, we cannot stop you. However, if you feel entitled to be let alone in your terrible ways, the very least you can do is to extend that same courtesy to others and leave them alone to do things in the way they prefer instead of creating threads like this.

That said, cupcaking isn't going to fix your **** token draw luck either.

Certainly not. That's precisely why reaching the 1k reward, the only not to be based on luck or in direct competed ranking against others, is so crucial for me and other 3* transitioners, and ccs /do/ help with it.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    If you get to 1300 points off unshielded players, you are taking those points from other players and stopping them from getting progression rewards
    No, because to get to 1300, you're hitting people with more points than you have, so they've already gotten their progression. And they're likely already shielded anyway. There's a lot wrong in your assertion.

That may be true for the last few, but not for the majority of the points you take, and again, it's only true because of cupcaking. If you play the game normally and try to get to 1300, you won't be hitting very many people with shields at all.
  • jimstarooney
    Pylgrim wrote:
    You are still not getting it,and trying to decrypt everything i say about the way i play into a form of bullying,its not.Its player vs player let me spell it out for you more clearly...If im hopping or climbing to shield and i see a team with good points that is not part of my alliance or in the bc i share i will hit it,2 star team 4 star team it doesnt matter to me i will hit it for as many times as i can.if i see some1 baking in the same slice as me i will call it out in our bc and if im out i will hit as many times as i can,thats the risk the bakers take im afraid.

You are the one not getting my point. While I personally find your behaviour disgusting, self-serving and blatantly anti-social, that's not what I was criticising, but rather the fact that you hypocritically defend your indefensible "playstyle" all while condemning the playstyle of other people. You sound like a thief that not only feels that he has the right to steal, but who also tries to discredit and belittle the people who actually make a living by working.

So go, keep doing whatever you want and keep believing it's your god-given right and that you are right for believing so and that anyone who disagrees is a whiny pansy, we cannot stop you. However, if you feel entitled to be let alone in your terrible ways, the very least you can do is to extend that same courtesy to others and leave them alone to do things in the way they prefer instead of creating threads like this.

That said, cupcaking isn't going to fix your **** token draw luck either.

Certainly not. That's precisely why reaching the 1k reward, the only not to be based on luck or in direct competed ranking against others, is so crucial for me and other 3* transitioners, and ccs /do/ help with it.
    (Sigh)always the bad guy.no offence,but the fact that im a 4-5 transitioner,and the fact that you are a 3-4transitioner even though we have been playing for roughly the same time doesnt help your argument.To me it looks like there is something wrong with your play style not mine.Also the fact that i have created/run/helped run t100 t50 t25 alliances and the fact that you are still struggling to run a not even t100 alliance suggests there is something wrong with your commanding skills too.I didnt want to say it,i have skipped you more times in pvp because i feel sympathy for you,but i am the monster.Still at least i can move on from this thread in the knowledge i didnt cast the 1st stone
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,950 Chairperson of the Boards
    SpiderKev wrote:
    If we could get rid of cupcakes and Madrox the game would be darn near perfect! icon_e_wink.gif
    Watch it buddy or I won't wait next time I see you out. icon_lol.gif

In all seriousness though. I see a lot of players in this thread that seem to think they're entitled to a fast pass to the top levels of play simply for showing up. Or at the very least a fast pass to top progression. I have news for you; you're not. Nothing in life is free. You have to work for it and put in your time just like the people that have already been playing this game for 2 years or more.

I know you're used to getting a trophy just for sitting on the bench and picking your knows while the real players win, but the real world doesn't work that way.

Well since I told Jamie I would let him have a piece of my mind...

First and foremost, the league idea you posted is solid and the best design for a league system I have come across on the forum. As you noted, it doesn't solve all the issues with Versus events you find troublesome but it is a step in a better direction, that is for sure.

However, this idea that players at the top have worked "harder" and those struggling with the transition haven't is troubling and absurd. First, let us consider the players at the top, shall we? While I have been quite lucky with my pulls and rewards, I have noticed quite a few players' rosters progress leaps and bounds and I can guarantee you that this wasn't because they worked "harder" than me for those rewards. Why? Because the top reward in this game is not directly available through any means beyond one's ability to acquire CP, LTs and random luck. Buyer clubs, much like the hotly debated cupcake, are a means to an end: to acquire enough of a certain resource to gain a competitive advantage. But I don't see you or anyone else complaining about them.

And yet here you are lording yourself and those similar to you as "real players" because you all got together, dropped a few dollars, got lucky, and now have yourself a top class roster. Yet you and your fellow "real players" didn't win a significant portion of those 5* covers through competition. It also should be noted that the top awards for CP in this game are progression based, not ranked based, so competition means next to nothing when it comes to acquiring a 5* cover in this game.

Don't get me wrong, I don't personally care how much you or anyone else has spent to acquire your 5* characters. That's your business and it's good of you to support the game we all play. But if RNG is what's actually wrong with the end game, you have a funny way of showing your disapproval of it. Let me be clear here, Versus events in terms of pure competition are nothing more than "pissing contests" (pardon me for not being able to find a better term) where the winner is determined by a person's willingness to spend resources and coordinate. Nothing more, nothing less.

Furthermore, cupcakes usually cannot be acquired until a player has passed a certain point threshold, from my experience at around 1000 points. So how do you explain your so-called benchwarmer reaching 900+ points? No one except the elite has it easy in PvP. So you can save your "I worked harder" argument because it's not going to stick.

The reason I am calling you out on this is because we should be standing united against RNG determination of the top reward in the game, rather than dividing the player base in to "real players" and "benchwarmers". The design decisions of this game are made with an eye towards generating a profit, not for establishing a "sport of integrity" so it is meaningless to pontificate a "right way" to play Versus events. As has already been mentioned, if you want to bake bake, if you want to snipe snipe; despite Jamie's claims, the best way to reach a high rank is to coordinate with others and be prepared to use resources.

If you are looking to play a competitive game with clearly established rules and strict officiating, MPQ Versus events are not for you. This is not a game that requires a great amount of skill or thought. The top reward is something you come by more through chance than through any clear competitive "win". Top rank is determined as much by roster strength, understanding of the game, coordination with others and the spending of resources as it is by effort. It is not determined by one's "skill".

But for those looking for a real "player vs player" experience, might I recommend you try PvE sometime; it is a true test of one's will to win icon_e_wink.gif

fight4thedream over and out ゙☆⌒o(*^ー゚)v
  • simonsez
    That may be true for the last few, but not for the majority of the points you take, and again, it's only true because of cupcaking.
    ****. Waiting a couple minutes to hit a 75 point target to keep points in the shard, has nothing to do with cupcaking.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think that this whole debate wouldn't be happening if it wasn't for the completely broken mechanic that versus events employ.

I think it is a shame that the game has come to a point where the best method is to game the system and have placement rewards play second fiddle to progress rewards, but seeing as the developers are unable to deal with it my views are if folks want to leave a seed team for their final battle before shielding then yeah sure go for it, want to advertise it on Line so as many of their buddies can queue them during their shield hop as possible then yeah go for it. Just don't go getting pissy if I and others like myself hit you during your hop. If players want to run the risk of have a below par team out for big points even if it is just for a few minutes and I see them then I will take them.

I don't do Line, my play time is very limited and I need to get as many points in as short space of time as possible. I don't subscribe to the whole "For The Greater Good" etiquette that a few here do, if I don't hit your cup cake team for 40(ish) points then it will be another full strength team for the same makes little difference to me except 2 less health packs used for the next battle.

TL;dr play the game the way you want to and I shall do the same.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dude that is absolutely terrible luck and I sympathize with you. There are definite problems with progression in this game being based largely on luck and a lot of people are feeling that even more now with the 5* releases. That said, cupcaking isn't going to fix your **** token draw luck either.

Getting 12 more chances a season to pull (250 CP = 12 CL LTs), might not help with the pull rate, but it might help with the 4*/5* cover acquisition. That's what I've found. Before I only went for 1k, b/c I thought BC's were more trouble than they were worth. If I could go back, I'd have joined them a lot earlier. I might spend more time on LINE, but I'm spending less ISO searching for targets, and definitely a lot less frustration hitting 1k / going up and down with my score trying to reach 1k, and able to get 1.3k with the same HP being spent. The extra time I'm spending on LINE is also worth it, b/c I'm getting to meet great people, that I wouldn't have without those BCs.

I think I've spent $45-$65 on this game and today will be day 638. I've got over 90% of the 4* covers, built to my preferred specs, and my 4* dupe roster is probably better than some of the 3*-4* transitioners. Iceman blue, 2 RHulk purples, GR red, 28 covers between Chulk, Miles, Nova, Venom, and Gwen I'll have all the 4* covered.

I've always been for things that advance the greater good in this game, and I think cupcakes do help out more than they hurt. I'm also a fan of riding coat tails, til I can help out myself. I was in a T100 PVP alliance before I was ready, thanks Double Trouble, and am happy to do the same now that I can. I think the thread was started, with the intent of rallying people against cupcakes, but I'm glad that it seems that the forum users are more in favor, than against, them.