Cupcakes,for or against?

Options

Comments

• Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,314 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Im all for more people gettin there rosters to a decent level,however i think they should be earnt and not handed to them.

That's an understandable position. Now please explain to me how I am going to "earn" these when my 3* roster has difficulty reaching 1k, let alone 1.3k?
    Yep.a 3-4 transitioner shouldnt be moaning about the lack of 5 star pulls,instead they should be concentrating on levelling up the 4 stars that they have pulled.The 4-5 transition is entirely based on luck,thats where the problem lies.

Oh wait, you acknowledge that the transition is broken so your answer is basically "too bad that you cannot progress normally, but you shouldn't try to use alternative methods to do so, either".
  • Omega Blacc
    Omega Blacc Posts: 69 Match Maker
    Options
    This may have been said already, but how is baking "throwing a fight"? You fight a low level team with another low level team and shield up before you get rocked by the "snipers"

Baking is a risk and people have lost numerous points to try and assist the slice.

Throwing a fight is generally called "donation" from what I understand.

It's obvious that this game continues to be designed for and catered to the whales. I have no issue with this as it keeps the game running. Part of the reason I have no issue is that CC eating allows me to progress at a decent clip. The insane Iso shortage means all those cards I get are still useless for months anyway.

Oh yeah...CC goes right up there with mercing, buyers clubs, PVE shard callouts, and whatever else players do "outside the rules"

If the devs were on the up and up about game design and RNG, people wouldn't feel the need to do all this stuff. It's really all about the need to keep content churning for the whales. They consume and level faster than the devs can create.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Im all for more people gettin there rosters to a decent level,however i think they should be earnt and not handed to them.

That's an understandable position. Now please explain to me how I am going to "earn" these when my 3* roster has difficulty reaching 1k, let alone 1.3k?
    Learn to shield,also learn to play.when i was in my 3-4 transition there wasnt any cupcakes so i learnt to beat bigger teams.AGain,the problem could lie in your playstyle,if you haven't learnt to be quick yet pvp will eat you up
    Yep.a 3-4 transitioner shouldnt be moaning about the lack of 5 star pulls,instead they should be concentrating on levelling up the 4 stars that they have pulled.The 4-5 transition is entirely based on luck,thats where the problem lies.

Oh wait, you acknowledge that the transition is broken so your answer is basically "too bad that you cannot progress normally, but you shouldn't try to use alternative methods to do so, either".
    The 4-5 transition doesnt concern you yet,concentrate on yr 1k and your 4 stars for the moment
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Too lazy/intoxicated to quote all the specific statements from the OP, but to summarize, OP is essentially f2p, hasn't paid too much, plays for placement, and people that bake/eat cupcakes have knocked him out of T10. That means 50 less HP every PVP. His 4 champ'd 4* should entitle him to T10 placement since he's using his roster to play. People that are using cupcakes to knock him out of T10, are stealing that extra 50 HP every PVP. If you don't have at least 4 champ'd 4* and you are in the Top 10 of his bracket, you don't deserve the 50 HP, even if winning that 50 extra HP doesn't break you even with the amount of HP you used on shields to get your placement.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Learn to shield,also learn to play.when i was in my 3-4 transition there wasnt any cupcakes so i learnt to beat bigger teams.AGain,the problem could lie in your playstyle,if you haven't learnt to be quick yet pvp will eat you up

Jim, you are forgetting that when you were 3-4 transitioning there were no 5s or Championing. It's a completely different game to transition right now.

When I was in that transition all I had to worry about was beating maxed 4stars, which Cage/Fist could pretty reliably do. Now these same players need to tackle self-healing 5s with big match damage or multiple level championed 4stars, all the while their own abilities have been nerfed by the championing mechanic.
  • Pylgrim
    Options

Yep, the problem is that I don't know how to play. It has nothing to do with the fact that boosted 3*s were nerfed, boosted 4*s got buffed and that a significant numbers of 4*s players now have decently levelled up OMLs, right? Besides, when did you do your 3-4 transition? Were Rulk or Iceman already a thing? Where maxed and championed Jean Greys super common? Or are we talking of the days post-4hor's nerf when the only 4* worth a pause for 3* transitioners was HB?

Your attitude is typical of the baby boomer entrepreneur who having climbed high during different circumstances and aided by a good dose of luck, now thinks that anyone beneath is a slothful imbecile, without having an inkling of an idea how more difficult circumstances are or the impact of bad luck.
  • jimstarooney
    Options
    Daiches wrote:

Jim, you are forgetting that when you were 3-4 transitioning there were no 5s or Championing. It's a completely different game to transition right now.

When I was in that transition all I had to worry about was beating maxed 4stars, which Cage/Fist could pretty reliably do. Now these same players need to tackle self-healing 5s with big match damage or multiple level championed 4stars, all the while their own abilities have been nerfed by the championing mechanic.
    Good pt daiches my ginger little friend.it is a different landscape but i feel 5s are still too rare to be a problem yet.and there are other queues out there (besides cupcakes)that someone with a 3 star roster should be able to beat.
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Cupcakes? Bakers?

I feel so out of the loop.
  • jimstarooney
    Options
    lukewin wrote:
    Too lazy/intoxicated to quote all the specific statements from the OP, but to summarize, OP is essentially f2p, hasn't paid too much, plays for placement, and people that bake/eat cupcakes have knocked him out of T10. That means 50 less HP every PVP. His 4 champ'd 4* should entitle him to T10 placement since he's using his roster to play. People that are using cupcakes to knock him out of T10, are stealing that extra 50 HP every PVP. If you don't have at least 4 champ'd 4* and you are in the Top 10 of his bracket, you don't deserve the 50 HP, even if winning that 50 extra HP doesn't break you even with the amount of HP you used on shields to get your placement.
    Luke somewhere down the line in this thread the misinformation has spread that i cant make t10 so im angry about it.This is not the case.i almost always make t10.my last event i made t10 in s3 which is notoriously hard to do as the very top alliance in mpq has made their home there.also i very rarely use more than 3 shields
  • jimstarooney
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:

Yep, the problem is that I don't know how to play. It has nothing to do with the fact that boosted 3*s were nerfed, boosted 4*s got buffed and that a significant numbers of 4*s players now have decently levelled up OMLs, right? Besides, when did you do your 3-4 transition? Were Rulk or Iceman already a thing? Where maxed and championed Jean Greys super common? Or are we talking of the days post-4hor's nerf when the only 4* worth a pause for 3* transitioners was HB?

Your attitude is typical of the baby boomer entrepreneur who having climbed high during different circumstances and aided by a good dose of luck, now thinks that anyone beneath is a slothful imbecile, without having an inkling of an idea how more difficult circumstances are or the impact of bad luck.
    Honestly buddy,replying to your posts is starting to drain on me so this is the last time.
    When xf/thora was a thing i was making 1k.back then there wasnt the powerful 3 stars we have today like cyc fist kk etc.i wiped a lot to these teams but i also beat them because i learnt from my mistakes,i learnt to beat them.my circumstances have been no different to yours,its just that i was aiming higher than you.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    At this point it's pretty much just trolling.
  • Pylgrim
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:

Honestly buddy,replying to your posts is starting to drain on me so this is the last time.
    When xf/thora was a thing i was making 1k.back then there wasnt the powerful 3 stars we have today like cyc fist kk etc.i wiped a lot to these teams but i also beat them because i learnt from my mistakes,i learnt to beat them.my circumstances have been no different to yours,its just that i was aiming higher than you.

Yep, please feel free to stop replying. At this point you are basically just repeating "I am where I am because I'm great and ambitious and awesome, while you clearly don't know how to play the game and lack determination". It's no wonder you made a thread to **** on a community-driven relief measure, given your self-entitlement and aggrandised opinion of yourself and preference to follow your own prejudice about the circumstances of the people beneath you in place of their shared experiences.
  • jimstarooney
    Options
    Im the one saying the free leg up should be abolished yet you are the one criticizing every one of my posts and asking for any handout you can get and im the one self entitled? The mind boggles!
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Cupcakes require using Line and understanding unwritten "etiquette" if I understand the process correctly. Which has obvious negative consequences for the game. There have been other threads about "etiquette" and following "rules" that most players have no idea even exist. If you actually try harder than most other players, then by all means, you should get better rewards than most players. Cupcakes don't involve trying harder or playing better, but using resources outside the game to set up an easy path to said better rewards. And if you aren't in the know, and hit that cupcake at the wrong moment, then apparently, there is swift vengeance on that poor ignorant bastard for screwing up the cake walk.

The game is beginning to suck more and more, and this particular tactic to win better rewards easier, is a symptom of systemic, inherent problems with MPQ.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Im the one saying the free leg up should be abolished yet you are the one criticizing every one of my posts and asking for any handout you can get and im the one self entitled? The mind boggles!
    Jesus christ, this thread is still going on?? I was hoping by now someone would've posted the chat log where you were expressing sincere, grateful thanks for the cupcakes you were hitting, and put an end to this damn thread already.
  • jimstarooney
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Jesus christ, this thread is still going on?? I was hoping by now someone would've posted the chat log where you were expressing sincere, grateful thanks for the cupcakes you were hitting, and put an end to this damn thread already.
    Thank you everyone for all the delicious cupcakes,especially the fresh ones
  • Pylgrim
    Options

Dear Lord... you /actually/ used the word "handout". Whoa. I give up, mr. Trump, I'm peacing out of your thread.
  • DC1972
    DC1972 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    Wow. Can't believe there are 11 pages on the topic so I'll throw in my two cents.

I am for CC. It is just another part of the game to experience since the actual game play had become redundant. Getting close to two years playing MPQ and my PVP progression has been:

1) struggle to get to 400.
    2) struggle to get to 800.
    3) finally made it to 1000
    4) make 1300 with help of BC but hadn't run into CC yet. Next goal was to see the least amount of shields needed to get 1300 but basically easy once I had my jean buster fully leveled
    5) read line just to watch all the drama and complaints about snipers and alliance squabbles (better than must reality TV and could be a great scripted tv show)
    6) learned more about CC and started baking. As one of the prior responses indicated, I too enjoyed watching the blue screen pop up to see how many people were benefitting from my CC. Also, BC was not just an alliance thing, there were at least 15 different alliances benefiting and I am sure they were getting passed along in each of the separate alliance chats. I wanted my CC to be called out and the only time I ever complained about being "sniped" was when baking because it was less points for everyone else when they ate the cake. there was also the Adrenaline rush of trying to finish the CC match and then the next match to get to shields before getting sniped. The 5 star rosters definitely have it easier for this so with a 4 star roster it was still a Race to finish. Also, CC don't just help top scorers. The way MMR works I would often see players with 2* teams at very low points queuing and eating my CC and most of them don't realize there is "etiquette" to wait until the baker shields. That's just a risk bakers take though.
    7) compete for best CC. Always great to see people asking how a loaner/1/1 CC was even possible.
    8) see how many points I could get on one shield hop without a 5 star roster.
    9) set a new high score (2400+ but could have hit 3k easy)
    10) max out my 5*

Unfortunately #10 has proven unattainable due to bad luck with RNG. With no other challenges and cursing my 5* draw rate I almost retired. However, instead I have gone back to what I enjoyed with MPQ to begin with. Casual PVE play and PVP without shield checking (went to a different shard so I didn't have to worry about hitting "friendlies"). I think this is what ,any vets are getting back to as well. For those that think shield checking and eating CC is not hard work they don't know what they are talking about. It is just a different way of playing and can be very time consuming. Ever been stuck at 980 points and in queue hell with only friendly targets and waiting for them to shield while known snipers are out?

So just enjoy CC and sniping for what it is. Just another part of the game to enjoy or not but don't force anyone to only do things the way you think they should be done. I don't think D3 would do away with it. I believe it actually generates revenues because there is more shield hopping. There have been times that I hopped even more just so I could eat the cake even when I didn't care about placement in the event or season score and I know many with lesser rosters that would have stopped at 800 or 1000 but kept shield hopping because CC were available.
  • jimstarooney
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:

Dear Lord... you /actually/ used the word "handout". Whoa. I give up, mr. Trump, I'm peacing out of your thread.
    Wasnt aware that using the word handout was some sort of crime,maybe its some unwritten rule i dont know about (there seems to be so many).You seem to be clutching at straws for ways to put my opinions down now and im glad you have given up.There have been some great posts on here from both sides of the argument which is what i wanted to hear in the 1st place.Not"my opinion matters so you must all be wrong"
    For the record i think there are many positives to cupcaking.
    They bring a lot of pts to the shard,and im not totally against them helping transitioners get those final covers they need to finish off their 4s/start their 5s.i just feel they are being abused now and the only thrill in high level pvp(for me) is the thought someone has you lined up and is taking a pop at you.Now back to civility.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Konman wrote:
    Cupcakes require using Line and understanding unwritten "etiquette" if I understand the process correctly. Which has obvious negative consequences for the game....

Such as...?
    For one, threads with 11 pages of nonsense...