DjangoUnbuffed own your puppies

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    dlaw008 wrote:
    I have always loved me some massive epic fantasy tomes. Of course George RR. Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear were pretty fun, too. Loved the Belgariad when I was a teen, as well as Dragonlance, Thieves' World, and Thomas Covenant, although at this point I recall my enjoyment of the books better than the books themselves. I always thought of going back and rereading them, but I don't for fear it will be like seeking out an old lover to find she hasn't aged well.
    Ooohh, Thieves' World. Thought I was the only one who read that!
    Such a shame the reboot apparently didn't take off.
    I'm still waiting for those to come out as an ebook so I can read them again.

Wild Cards is another shared world series, and those _are_ coming out as ebooks now - love those. Fitting theme for Marvel, too icon_e_wink.gif
  • dlaw008 wrote:
    I have always loved me some massive epic fantasy tomes. Of course George RR. Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear were pretty fun, too. Loved the Belgariad when I was a teen, as well as Dragonlance, Thieves' World, and Thomas Covenant, although at this point I recall my enjoyment of the books better than the books themselves. I always thought of going back and rereading them, but I don't for fear it will be like seeking out an old lover to find she hasn't aged well.
    I also enjoyed Wheel of Time for truly massive epic fantasy. One huge complete story spanning 14 books, more than 10k pages. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Moghwyn wrote:
    dlaw008 wrote:
    I also enjoyed Wheel of Time for truly massive epic fantasy. One huge complete story spanning 14 books, more than 10k pages. icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Raymond e feist for truly epic (30 odd books spanning generations)
  • Dlaw, you should rename the thread "buks & gems compendium" icon_lol.gif
  • It started with Tolkien when I was really young. In HS I must have read at least 25 books by Piers Anthony - really pulpy fun fantasy and sci-fi (sometimes both in the same books!) if you like puns in your fiction, check 'em out. William Gibson is amazing. Douglas Adams. George RR for sure. For classic sci-fi, Ray Bradbury and Robert Heinlein. HP Lovecraft. For cyber MIB meets Chtulhu, check out Charles Stross. Raymond Feist's Magician books are damn good. Julian May does a really awesome series about humanity developing Psi powers.

Oh, has anyone read Ready Player One? It's amazing and funny and game related, especially if you're old enough to get the pop culture references in it.

/squeeeeee
  • Arogntbastrd
    Arogntbastrd Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    It started with Tolkien when I was really young. In HS I must have read at least 25 books by Piers Anthony - really pulpy fun fantasy and sci-fi (sometimes both in the same books!) if you like puns in your fiction, check 'em out. William Gibson is amazing. Douglas Adams. George RR for sure. For classic sci-fi, Ray Bradbury and Robert Heinlein. HP Lovecraft. For cyber MIB meets Chtulhu, check out Charles Stross. Raymond Feist's Magician books are damn good. Julian May does a really awesome series about humanity developing Psi powers.

Oh, has anyone read Ready Player One? It's amazing and funny and game related, especially if you're old enough to get the pop culture references in it.

/squeeeeee

I remember neuromancer from college, I have ready player one on my iPad. Haven't read anything in a while though because of mpq! But def want to check it out. While it's a little "simpler" I really enjoyed ender's game, and maybe even more... Ender's shadow. Bean is the man! I have two others I'm fascinated in but haven't gotten to yet "Batman and psychology" and "iron man and philosophy" Scott sigler has some stuff I really like, particularly the "infected" series and ancestor. Wasn't a big fan of earth core. the dexter series is pretty crazy too. MUCH crazier than the show, before someone attacks me yes the show is awesome but
    doakes never becomes a tongue less cyborg in the show!
  • Pats0132
    Pats0132 Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    I joined marvel heroes

Jericho3210. So add me if you play plus any advice would be great
  • Bowgentle
    It started with Tolkien when I was really young. In HS I must have read at least 25 books by Piers Anthony - really pulpy fun fantasy and sci-fi (sometimes both in the same books!) if you like puns in your fiction, check 'em out. William Gibson is amazing. Douglas Adams. George RR for sure. For classic sci-fi, Ray Bradbury and Robert Heinlein. HP Lovecraft. For cyber MIB meets Chtulhu, check out Charles Stross. Raymond Feist's Magician books are damn good. Julian May does a really awesome series about humanity developing Psi powers.

/squeeeeee
    I read Neuromancer when I was 14 I think, and must have missed at least half of the plot and setting. Been meaning to get back to that.
    If you're into that, Neal Stephenson is really good (skip Baroque).
    Ready Player One is patiently waiting for me to finish my paper books so I can switch to my Kindle completely (not planning to go back).
  • I suppose since you are talking about books, i shall mention a few. I mainly read auto(biographies) like Steve Jobs, Stephen Hawking, Stephen Fry. Really anyone with the name stephen it seems lol I also read alot of horror books, again by Stephen King. Favourite book growing up though was always Chronicles of Narnia icon_e_smile.gif
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Moghwyn wrote:
    My only epic superseries squeeze has been Asimov's Foundation-Empire-Robots series, spanning 14 books and 10,000 years of fictional history. I've definitely heard good things about Wheel of Time, though. I just never really got into fantasy.
    For some reason, even though I was really into Adams and Bradbury (and Asimov), Heinlein never really clicked for me. The books distinctly felt like they were written for a different generation (not age group, but generation) -- the WWII/Cold War generation. I play movies of book scenes in my head while I read them, and Heinlein mental movies, for some bizarre reason, always turn out a bit grainy and sprinkled with film artifacts. icon_rolleyes.gif
    I suppose since you are talking about books, i shall mention a few. I mainly read auto(biographies) like Steve Jobs, Stephen Hawking, Stephen Fry. Really anyone with the name stephen it seems lol I also read alot of horror books, again by Stephen King. Favourite book growing up though was always Chronicles of Narnia icon_e_smile.gif
    Ah, have you read Warren Buffett's book? Or Clinton's?
  • Arogntbastrd
    I suppose since you are talking about books, i shall mention a few. I mainly read auto(biographies) like Steve Jobs, Stephen Hawking, Stephen Fry. Really anyone with the name stephen it seems lol I also read alot of horror books, again by Stephen King. Favourite book growing up though was always Chronicles of Narnia icon_e_smile.gif

Do you all find king's endings to always be disappointing? Character building and story is always so thorough then at the end, crickets. Like under the dome, it, etc. duma key! Really? That's what was going on?

The one exception 11/22/63, it finished and I thought "wow I liked that ending, wonder who wrote it for him"

Epilogue: "I want to thank my son for coming up with a much better ending..."

aHA!
  • Yeah, King's endings are often terrible. He writes so quickly that I wonder if he does any kind of charting at all. His conversational writing style coupled with vivid, almost unflinching, imagery and dense settings full of believable characters makes for often gripping reads. I find myself tearing through his books, engrossed, rushing to discover what will become of these characters and situations. Then the conclusion is so bizarrely left field and pointless that it actually damages the first 90% of the book.

I can never decide if he is a genius or a hack.
  • Horrible endings mostly, but he does have some crackers. I really enjoyed Cell. That had me hooked for some odd reason, read it 3 times and its one of his better in recent times.

Amityville Story, scared the **** outta me when i was younger too. used to have nightmares about pigs looking through windows at me icon_e_sad.gif
  • I suppose since you are talking about books, i shall mention a few. I mainly read auto(biographies) like Steve Jobs, Stephen Hawking, Stephen Fry. Really anyone with the name stephen it seems lol I also read alot of horror books, again by Stephen King. Favourite book growing up though was always Chronicles of Narnia icon_e_smile.gif

Do you all find king's endings to always be disappointing? Character building and story is always so thorough then at the end, crickets. Like under the dome, it, etc. duma key! Really? That's what was going on?

The one exception 11/22/63, it finished and I thought "wow I liked that ending, wonder who wrote it for him"

Epilogue: "I want to thank my son for coming up with a much better ending..."

aHA!

Oh yeah, King's endings are generally awful. One of my favorite books of his is The Stand and that ending is just so anticlimactic it's not even funny. I'm trying to read through the Dark Tower series but gave it a break after Waste Lands.

Now I'm kinda in a Terry Pratchett kick lately because I found my old books that were released in portuguese, but the translation only goes twelve books or so into the Discworld series. I'm at the last one I got in portuguese and bought a few more through the wonders of the internet and free worldwide shipping, then I guess I'll go back to the Dark Tower.
  • Arogntbastrd
    Horrible endings mostly, but he does have some crackers. I really enjoyed Cell. That had me hooked for some odd reason, read it 3 times and its one of his better in recent times.

Amityville Story, scared the **** outta me when i was younger too. used to have nightmares about pigs looking through windows at me icon_e_sad.gif

Ah yes, cell! Very anti king where as most of his books take 400 pages to get going it seems cell starts off with a bang!

Have any of you seen the "stand' mini series? Kareem Abdul jabar's "death" scene steals the show. He's so noticeably breathing, he might as well have opened one eye to take a peek around.

That being said, captain trips is no joke
  • Pats0132 wrote:
    I joined marvel heroes

Jericho3210. So add me if you play plus any advice would be great

yay! Have you logged into the game yet? It won't let me add you.

I can go through some of the basics and story chapters with you, I just got a new character that I haven't leveled up at all.
  • Allorin is now on Brave Frontier!

Do we have a list of user names I can add? Alternatively, add me up, people!
  • allorin wrote:
    Allorin is now on Brave Frontier!

Only if you don't leave us again icon_e_smile.gif my i.d is 4734275641
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    allorin wrote:
    Allorin is now on Brave Frontier!

Only if you don't leave us again icon_e_smile.gif my i.d is 4734275641
    I made an FB thread for BFFing.

Also, having just gotten my fifth blue in CMags, and having played him a bit in PVE, 5B CMags is legen... DARY. OMG.
  • Bowgentle
    Brave Frontier isn't on my country's iTunes Store. Sad panda.

But probably for the better. I don't need a third job.