*** Black Panther (T'Challa) ***

Comments

• So BP is suddenly great. This buff couldn't come at a better time. With the upcoming nerf to C.Mags, even if the final version gives only 3 tiles (which I believe was the idea), BP will most likely replace Patch in my team as Strike tile generator. His black was always great and good black abilities aren't that common. Now he also has a good yellow. With many other heroes offering a good green/red set of abilities, all that's left is finding a good purple/blue set.

Spiderman sucks, as will probably C.Mags after the nerf, OBW has too low health to be a frequent member of our team if we want to play more than 2 matches, Falcon is a niche hero with 0 offensive capabilities and a very slow purple, Daredevil is somewhat viable after the buff to his purple if you like gambling, so the only obvious choice is Fury who is awesome, but requires a ton of HP to level. I bet Fury will become the hero who brings in the most revenue in the future, if he isn't already considering he was fully released 10 days ago.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Falcon's not a bad option - with all the potential strike and defence tiles lying around Inspiration could be pretty damn handy.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Narkon wrote:
    So BP is suddenly great. This buff couldn't come at a better time. With the upcoming nerf to C.Mags, even if the final version gives only 3 tiles (which I believe was the idea), BP will most likely replace Patch in my team as Strike tile generator. His black was always great and good black abilities aren't that common. Now he also has a good yellow. With many other heroes offering a good green/red set of abilities, all that's left is finding a good purple/blue set.

Spiderman sucks, as will probably C.Mags after the nerf, OBW has too low health to be a frequent member of our team if we want to play more than 2 matches, Falcon is a niche hero with 0 offensive capabilities and a very slow purple, Daredevil is somewhat viable after the buff to his purple if you like gambling, so the only obvious choice is Fury who is awesome, but requires a ton of HP to level. I bet Fury will become the hero who brings in the most revenue in the future, if he isn't already considering he was fully released 10 days ago.
    HairyDave wrote:
    Falcon's not a bad option - with all the potential strike and defence tiles lying around Inspiration could be pretty damn handy.

For the fact too that BP can tank yellow and keep Falcon protected on both the yellow and blue front. I also see Deadpool being a decent option, since he will have an active purple, and a black passive, he covers your red and purple, and while not the greates BP does have blue. That would give you red/yellow/purp/black/blue all covered you just need a solid green which thank goodness we have a lot of those. If green weren't so powerful you could go BP/Falcon/Deadpool as both would protect Falcon, but since green is impossible to ignore you can throw in anyone. I wouldn't mine trying BP/Deadpool/Sentry as the new BP would allow almost a double sacrifice as you could cast either battleplan or sacrifice
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looks like with the recent changes, I'm going to have to respec BP to 5/3/5 now. Good thing I'm at day 193...
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    used my 166 panther's battleplan, happen to have the 12 TU ap to make them stronger....use it and game adds SIX strike tiles, 3 at the regular 175 strength and 3 at the team up AP strength of 250....what the hell
  • pmorcs
    pmorcs Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Yep, this happens if you have exactly 12 TU AP.
  • Leugenesmiff
    Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    Has anyone else ever noticed that sometimes, when using BO's yellow when you have 12 team up or more that you not only get the three boosted strike tiles but also the three normal ones. It doesn't seem to happen every time, but more than once I've used his yellow just one time and noticed I had six strike tiles on the board, half boosted half not. I'm not complaining, I love it when it happens, but I'm wondering if there's a reason this is happening that I'm missing.
  • Has anyone else ever noticed that sometimes, when using BO's yellow when you have 12 team up or more that you not only get the three boosted strike tiles but also the three normal ones. It doesn't seem to happen every time, but more than once I've used his yellow just one time and noticed I had six strike tiles on the board, half boosted half not. I'm not complaining, I love it when it happens, but I'm wondering if there's a reason this is happening that I'm missing.

It only seems to happen when you have EXACTLY 12 Team Up AP, probably a bug that'll be corrected in an upcoming patch... so in the meanwhile, take advantage of it while it lasts
  • Leugenesmiff
    Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    Ok. Thanks both of you for the info. Now I'll be able to get 6 more often.
  • I'm curious what teams people are running with the upgraded Black Panther. I'm running BP with Classic Mags, but am interested in other combos. Any combos working well for you?

I'm also curious thoughts on if the developers had some key synergies in mind when buffing BP's yellow, particularly with the strike tile boost with 12 TU. At first, it might appear there was an intended synergy with Mohawk Storm in that she can gather TU before the strike tiles, but it appears uneconomical given that both powers need yellow. Any thoughts on what might have been the intention, if any?
  • He doesn't combo well with anyone in particular but he's strong enough to pull his weight in almost any configuration too. I usually put him as my third guy in PvE when I don't want to think about synergy.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2014
    camichan wrote:
    I'm curious what teams people are running with the upgraded Black Panther. I'm running BP with Classic Mags, but am interested in other combos. Any combos working well for you?

I'm also curious thoughts on if the developers had some key synergies in mind when buffing BP's yellow, particularly with the strike tile boost with 12 TU. At first, it might appear there was an intended synergy with Mohawk Storm in that she can gather TU before the strike tiles, but it appears uneconomical given that both powers need yellow. Any thoughts on what might have been the intention, if any?

I think he's fine with any character that doesn't have an active yellow/black ability. Going down the list, with the characters in each tier not really sorted in any particular order:
    High Synergy - Characters whose primary abilities don't have any color conflicts with BP, and has abilities that either work well with BP's abilities, or are strong enough such that who cares.
    C. Mags -> No color conflicts, blue fuels black and works well with strike tiles.
    Daken -> Daken tanks black for BP (which is the best color to tank since thats BP's main ability), and has no color conflicts. Really need a green guy as the third though.
    Sentry -> Sentry green + BP yellow = sustainable gg. The colors kinda suck in that sentry only adds green to the team since you're never using his red/yellow, but who cares when green is so broken anyways.
    Torch ->With a 5/3/5 build: green and black (situationally) can exploit BPs yellow, and red is good in general.
    Nick Fury -> strong blue and purple abilities, although they're a bit expensive.

Average Synergy - Characters whose primary abilities don't have any color conflicts with BP, but whose abilities don't really mesh that well with BP's abilities.
    Hood -> AP fueling is good and BP tanks for hood, but you really need a third that has 3 active abilities in the other 4 colors that this team is missing.
    LazyCap - Two fat and slow guys means that you probably want hood with them.
    LazyThor -> Yellow conflicts which is a true shame, but LazyThors pure power level puts him on this tier since red is passable and green doesn't conflict.
    Punisher -> Kinda awkward in that you double up on the black, but retribution and judgement are good abilities that don't conflict.
    GSBW -> Kay.
    Patch -> You're just getting mostly a regen tank out of Patch, and he doesn't even do a good job tanking yellow for BP.
    Spidey -> purple/blue don't conflict which is the reason why you use spidey, but the character kinda sucks in general.
    Deadpool -> No conflicts but not too much synergy going on. BP tanking for DP is a plus.
    Cap Marvel -> Cap tanking black is nice, although not tanking yellow is less than ideal.
    Hulk -> Tanks black for BP, has a passable green but horrendous red. Anger + strike tiles can be a thing as well, and doesn't conflict with the colors.

Poor Synergy - Characters whose primary abilities hugely conflict with BPs abilities, or are just **** in general.
    Falcon -> Synergy with BPs blue is marginal since blue is a mediocre ability, and by the time you have battleplan tiles on board, you probably exhausted the board of yellow matches getting up to battleplan. Honestly Falcon just feels **** with any character that isn't Daken.
    Storm -> green is the only ability that doesnt conflict, and theres so much better greens out there. mistress into battleplan is a moot point cause they both cost yellow AP, and by the time you get 18 yellow AP to pull that off, you could be doing much more powerful things instead.
    Doom -> Black conflicts.
    IM40 -> All about recharge, but BP has a good yellow, and recharge has to be level 5 before it adds black for RotP.
    Psylocke -> Her best ability is black. BPs best ability is black. With blue being meh (and you already have a meh BP blue), all you're getting is a marginal red out of her.

The rest: who cares cause they're bad.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm going to recommend Ragnarok for Average Synergy. I feel that any ability which causes board shake up is a good opportunity to collect incidental AP - particularly Team Ups - and that let's you focus on getting yellow + black AP. Rag does also come with a nice enough chunk of hit points. (Yes, he only has two abilities. Yes, he has weird tile strengths.)

I guess the same argument can be made for Hulk, who has even more HP, normal tile strengths and can at least be positioned to tank black occasionally.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mawtful wrote:
    I'm going to recommend Ragnarok for Average Synergy. I feel that any ability which causes board shake up is a good opportunity to collect incidental AP - particularly Team Ups - and that let's you focus on getting yellow + black AP. Rag does also come with a nice enough chunk of hit points. (Yes, he only has two abilities. Yes, he has weird tile strengths.)

I guess the same argument can be made for Hulk, who has even more HP, normal tile strengths and can at least be positioned to tank black occasionally.

Good points I'm being too hard on Hulk, so bumped him up to average synergy. I refuse to mention ragnarok in case some poor soul decides to level him to exploit the "synergy".
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Fair enough. I've only paired BP with Rags during the KRAKADOOM events since my Rag is only level 40 (level 65 now, I guess).
    Also, worth noting that Hulk and BP share tile strength for Black, so tanking is dependant on positioning - and when BP is buffed but not Hulk, BP will always take Black.
  • Thanks very much for the comments and advice. Very insightful. I really appreciate it.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    I just accidently used a poor synergy team in one the Psylocke required nodes in ISO-8 Brotherhood - Psylocke/Panther/Falcon - and it was actually surprisingly good.

Granted, that may be because it was a goon fight, but one Psylocke strike tile at least gave Falcon something to boost while I was grabbing enough yellow and TU to fire Battleplan. Pop Battleplan and I'm suddenly doing near 2000 damage on basic matches.
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    Doom -> Black conflicts.

For this, I would be fairly happy with either BP's black or Doom's, depending on situation. The fact that they overlap doesn't bother me that much, especially since BP lays strike tiles on yellow, rather than red. If the enemy teams strongest color is something I'm afraid of, and there are red tiles on the board, I can Summon Demons, but if either of those two things isn't true, I can Rage. Also, I can depend on the AI using which ever option is the worst on defense, but it was going to do that anyway.

Of course the only person who covers the G/R/P gap is somewhat meh, but I retain hope that Doom will one day have a decent purple power of his own. Then you'd really only need the featured hero to have green and red. Of course, it's a shame that there are none of those around.