*** Black Panther (T'Challa) ***

Comments

• Currently at 5/3/4 after the simulator and Cage. Thinking hard to whether just buy the 5th black. Or should i wait for next time they offer Panther covers again (which i highly doubt as they are already giving out twice for the past two events).

Any advise?
  • BP for me went up to 4/3/4 for me. I have enough hp to drop a cover on black, I'm pretty convinced D3 isn't offering bp covers again soon. I'm assuming the cover @ 1100 is basically out of reach these days. Dumped some ISO into him so he's level 80 now, though I have 15k iso banked still.

I'm not sure how well bp will interact with my other strong 3*'s:
    Steve Rogers
    Punisher
    Hood (95 - keeping him here to prevent him stealing espionage from OBW)

I was thinking Punisher/BP would be okay - computer would likely use molotov instead of RotP though. On offense it's decent, but it's not like Pun's black is bad.

I just got Cmags up to 3/3/3, but with a nerg incoming (and a lot of the nerf being pretty over the top) I'd prefer not to invest in him, either hp or iso.

Did they ever fix BP's yellow or does 1-29 env ap = 1 strike tile still?
  • They'll probably rerun Predator and Prey in a week or so. Odds are pretty good the event preceding that one will have more Panther covers as a reward.
  • Phantron wrote:
    That said, earlier today I swear I saw Onslaught (5g) used when the other side had Juggernaut (6g) when they have 9g. If they changed something so that it is not guaranteed to cast the more expensive ability, then it'd help since you almost always want to use Sacrifice over Battleplan.

As far as I can tell the AI counts Onslaught as "costing" 5 ap (or 6 etc depending on levels in green) or the current AP total if it is more than 5(6, etc). I've seen it firing at any green value over it's minimum UNLESS it's also the cost of another green, then it seems a bit random as per every other interaction of 2 equal costing abilities.

As far as build... personally can't be sure about relative value of his blue or yellow because I don't think all that much of either of them. On balance, the fact the ai has a strange attraction to environmental matches means I probably think 5 in yellow is more useful than 5 in blue but I guess it depends somewhat on which hero(es) you like to pair with him. If he's normally going to be with your L.Thor then may as well max his blue since you're hoping the yellow never fires icon_e_smile.gif
  • jeffip wrote:
    Currently at 5/3/4 after the simulator and Cage. Thinking hard to whether just buy the 5th black. Or should i wait for next time they offer Panther covers again (which i highly doubt as they are already giving out twice for the past two events).

Any advise?

I was tempted for ages to buy the 5th black. Fortunately didn't do it -- now just applied it and have 5 other covers to trash... (Possibly will use 2 yellows to respec the blue, still pondering). MPQ rule is patience, only buy with HP when you get some immediate gain. Like if you thing in the current tournament the extra cover gets you considerable advantage manifesting in better prizes.

Btw isn't the progression in current tournament the black?
  • pasa_ wrote:
    Btw isn't the progression in current tournament the black?

Nope, it's yellow/blue.

It was the first thing I checked on when I opened the tourney. I need that fifth black also.
  • bonfire01 wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    That said, earlier today I swear I saw Onslaught (5g) used when the other side had Juggernaut (6g) when they have 9g. If they changed something so that it is not guaranteed to cast the more expensive ability, then it'd help since you almost always want to use Sacrifice over Battleplan.

As far as I can tell the AI counts Onslaught as "costing" 5 ap (or 6 etc depending on levels in green) or the current AP total if it is more than 5(6, etc). I've seen it firing at any green value over it's minimum UNLESS it's also the cost of another green, then it seems a bit random as per every other interaction of 2 equal costing abilities.

As far as build... personally can't be sure about relative value of his blue or yellow because I don't think all that much of either of them. On balance, the fact the ai has a strange attraction to environmental matches means I probably think 5 in yellow is more useful than 5 in blue but I guess it depends somewhat on which hero(es) you like to pair with him. If he's normally going to be with your L.Thor then may as well max his blue since you're hoping the yellow never fires icon_e_smile.gif

I don't see why you wouldn't pair him up with Thor since Thor is pretty much one of the best character in the game (assuming you got him). It'd be backwards to drop Thor just to accomodate BP, so I prefer 5 in blue. Yes blue is pretty darn useless, but it's actually better than Magnetic Field on defense, while Battleplan is, like you said, something you wish would never be used on defense when Thor is around. Now if you don't have Thor, 5/3/5 is perfectly valid.

You also run into the same problem with Sentry, as you almost never want to use Battleplan over Sacrifice on defense.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    1* storm is currently the only effective clearer of environment tiles. I was expecting 3* Storm to be more efficient, but at 9AP the focus is more on the damage. Black Panther really needs a good way to collect environment tiles. One method is to have Magneto generate a crit tile near environment tiles. But it would be better if BP could get more himself.
      Battleplan - Yellow 9 AP
      T'challa surveys the scene, collecting an extra random environment tile for each environmental tile match by his team. When activated, Battleplan converts one random basic Yellow tile into a strength 9 Strike tile, plus an additional strike tile for each 15 environmental AP that can be consumed.
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Strike tile strength 13. Also collects on a yellow match. Level 3: Strike tile strength 16. Also collects on a blue match. Level 4: Strike tile strength 20. Also collects on a black match. Level 5: Strike tile strength 23. Two random environment tiles are collected.
      Max Level: Strength 182 strike tiles

This mix of Passive / Active would put Battleplan much more in line with other Strike Tile powers belong to Nick Fury, Daken, Psylocke, Sentry, She Hulk, Punisher,and Patch. It would give a bit of extra power to a turn-ending tile match, with normal cascade rules. And it would also give an extra environment tile clearer to the game, something it needs.
    • Nonce Equitaur 2
      1* storm is currently the only effective clearer of environment tiles. I was expecting 3* Storm to be more efficient, but at 9AP the focus is more on the damage. Black Panther really needs a good way to collect environment tiles. One method is to have Magneto generate a crit tile near environment tiles. But it would be better if BP could get more himself.
        Battleplan - Yellow 9 AP
        T'challa surveys the scene, collecting an extra random environment tile for each environmental tile match by his team. When activated, Battleplan converts one random basic Yellow tile into a strength 9 Strike tile, plus an additional strike tile for each 15 environmental AP that can be consumed.
        Level Upgrades
          Level 2: Strike tile strength 13. Also collects on a yellow match. Level 3: Strike tile strength 16. Also collects on a blue match. Level 4: Strike tile strength 20. Also collects on a black match. Level 5: Strike tile strength 23. Two random environment tiles are collected.

This mix of Passive / Active would put Battleplan much more in line with other Strike Tile powers belong to Nick Fury, Daken, Psylocke, Sentry, She Hulk, Punisher,and Patch. It would give a bit of extra power to a turn-ending tile match, with normal cascade rules. And it would also give an extra environment tile clearer to the game, something it needs.
      • wymtime
        wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
        I agree Battleplan needs a tweak. How about making it more like Punishers green without the board shake up?

level 1: 1 strike tile and X damage
        level 2: Increase strike tile damage and direct damage.
        level 3: 2 strike tiles
        level 4: Increase in strike tile damage and direct damage.
        Level 5: 3 strike tiles
        At max levels BP does 1000 direct damage and leaves his enemy bleeding with each strike tile doing 125 damage.

Each strike tile will be worth less but overall stronger ability and gets rid of the tinny kitty ENV tile requirement.
      • Nonce Equitaur 2
        It would be good if some character cleared away the environment tiles. So far, it's just Storm. I think Black Panther is good second, and I rather like his power comsuming environment AP. The only problem is getting it for him. With mStorm, it works okay, but she's way too squishy. Storm Mohawk is slow -- may as well just do 3 environment matches. But that's way, way too slow.

Here's a rework that gives him environment tile clearing and essentially repeats the 15 environment = 1 strike tile mechanism. He can control the board, rendering enemy tiles temporarily inert. Zero environment is hard to maintain, even with help from Storm, but would be an occasionally useful tactic. I tossed in an extra turn mechanism.
          Battleplan - Yellow Passive
          T'challa surveys the scene, collecting an extra random environment tile for each environmental tile match by his team. If his team ends the turn with 9 Yellow AP and 15 environmental AP can be consumed, Battleplan converts one random basic Yellow tile into a strength 9 Strike tile.
          Level Upgrades
            Level 2: Strike tile strength 13. Also collects on a yellow match. Level 3: Strike tile strength 16. Also collects on a blue or black match. Level 4: Strike tile strength 20. Environment tiles must exist for enemy tiles to function. Level 5: Strike tile strength 23. If the team ends a turn with 20 Yellow AP, 5 Yellow AP is consumed and T'challa moves again.
        • Most of us would be overly happy with just the "converts one random basic Yellow tile into a strength 9 Strike tile, plus an additional strike tile for each 15 environmental AP that can be consumed" part we asked from the day of release -- it didn't happen and likely never will. Who remembers the last sensible request that got actually implemented?
        • eidehua
          eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
          I think countdown tiles like BP's blue or Punisher's Black CDs' should grow in strength as they churn out more tiles. CD tiles don't generally last that long, so I think CD's should be rewarded for staying out longer. EG BP's blue starts at protect x for the first one, protect x+y for the second, protect x+y*2, etc... of course numbers can always be fine tuned and adjusted and scaling can be changed.
        • Phaserhawk
          Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
            Battleplan - Yellow 9 AP
            Level Upgrades

Or they could just make it go 2 + 1 for every 15 enviornment. Or kick his enviornmental matching up to 5. This would move him into outer top tier play while still being balanced.
          • So I'm sure this has been said but...

Isn't Daredevil the Man Without Fear?

Am I missing something?
          • jojeda654
            jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
            timkish wrote:
            So I'm sure this has been said but...

Isn't Daredevil the Man Without Fear?

Am I missing something?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5383&p=93303#p93303
          • Deviator1
            Deviator1 Posts: 71 Match Maker
            Shouldn't it have like a big freaking slash or some kind of awesome animation as opposed to his current "I scratch you! Take that!"
          • Fulgren
            Fulgren Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
            I always saw it as more of a bitchslap and when I use it, I always hear T'Challa going PANTHER SLAP!
          • xKOBALTx
            xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
            I picture it as a bit of a mix between those two options. Sort of more along the lines of this guy:

5yJrwFz.jpg

Slapping you, slapping you silly, because you disrespected me!
          • wade66
            wade66 Posts: 212 Tile Toppler
            "I was I was wolverine, but I'm just catwoman taking testosterone supplements"

Black Panther`s inferiority complex at work.