Champion Levels Going Live Jan. 07, 2016

Comments

• Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    When is this going live?

D3Go need to realise this is a global game and eagerly awaited, much hyped updates should be pushed out earlier in the day for those of us who don't live in North America. Also as a byproduct it may ease the strain on the servers.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Linkster79 wrote:
    When is this going live?

D3Go need to realise this is a global game and eagerly awaited, much hyped updates should be pushed out earlier in the day for those of us who don't live in North America. Also as a byproduct it may ease the strain on the servers.

They stated with the HP rollback that it most likely wouldn't be until much later in the day into the evening.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    They said in the thread posted last night that the target is evening U.S. Eastern time.
  • Leugenesmiff
    Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    I wonder if they'll replace the HP in the vault with CP. If not then it'll be even harder to get stuff you really need.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    They said in the thread posted last night that the target is evening U.S. Eastern time.
    Okay thanks. Looks like it will be tomorrow by the time I see it then. Best go sell some of my cover queue before they expire.
  • Chief270
    Chief270 Posts: 137
    I keep expecting them to come in and say "oh, you can still purchase covers up to the 13, but you can't just buy covers to level your champion". Taking away the ability to whale characters has to affect their bottom line, I see no way around that.
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Chief270 wrote:
    I keep expecting them to come in and say "oh, you can still purchase covers up to the 13, but you can't just buy covers to level your champion". Taking away the ability to whale characters has to affect their bottom line, I see no way around that.

They're banking on the whales moving to token packs. Assumption is probably that this will bring more money because it's a lot harder to get 10 specific covers from packs than it is to directly purchase them so more money will be spent
  • Chief270
    Chief270 Posts: 137
    woopie wrote:
    Chief270 wrote:

They're banking on the whales moving to token packs. Assumption is probably that this will bring more money because it's a lot harder to get 10 specific covers from packs than it is to directly purchase them so more money will be spent

I guess I can see that. Though this move is an expectation of getting the large funds from a smaller group of people, cause even today's whales might become tomorrows FTP if the cost goes up dramatically.

If the whales among whales can balance the loss of the # of customers who don't buy into the new price structure, then I guess it can work. But that is a huge risk to be taking with their main source of profit.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Honestly the whales aren't going anywhere unless they get bored. The reason they are whales in the first place is because money is no object to them, the financial implications of changes are irrelevant to the big whales.

The only thing that will make them stop playing if they lose interest, which is why we get so many character releases because guess what? another correlation is that whales tend to be collectors (what else do they do with all that money?) so the devs keep adding characters for the whales to collect to keep them coming back (you'll notice I sidestepped the word 'satisfied' there) and then they change the in game economy to suit the actual players. In a sense they have actually balanced the economy to favour the lower income players. I'm still failing to see how this is bad? It shows that they are valuing the people that don't spend.

Also the splitting of in-game currency is actually a benefit to most players now because I can use HP for shields and roster slots and buy covers without diminishing my ability to compete in PVP.

Yes the cost of buying covers is higher with CP than with HP but I can collect CP passively while still competing in PVP with my HP. It's a good change for low-mid level players like myself. The upper echelons of the game might say differently and complain but...they have had the upper hand and a big advantage for a long long time now so why not give the little guy a hand for a while?
  • woopie
    Honestly the whales aren't going anywhere unless they get bored. The reason they are whales in the first place is because money is no object to them, the financial implications of changes are irrelevant to the big whales.

The only thing that will make them stop playing if they lose interest, which is why we get so many character releases because guess what? another correlation is that whales tend to be collectors (what else do they do with all that money?) so the devs keep adding characters for the whales to collect to keep them coming back (you'll notice I sidestepped the word 'satisfied' there) and then they change the in game economy to suit the actual players. In a sense they have actually balanced the economy to favour the lower income players. I'm still failing to see how this is bad? It shows that they are valuing the people that don't spend.

Also the splitting of in-game currency is actually a benefit to most players now because I can use HP for shields and roster slots and buy covers without diminishing my ability to compete in PVP.

Yes the cost of buying covers is higher with CP than with HP but I can collect CP passively while still competing in PVP with my HP. It's a good change for low-mid level players like myself. The upper echelons of the game might say differently and complain but...they have had the upper hand and a big advantage for a long long time now so why not give the little guy a hand for a while?

How is this change going to give the little guy a hand? It's obvious you need 1-2 of the top 5 characters to compete at high end PVP. Now you are fully reliant on RNGsus giving you those 13 covers in some 5/5/3 combo. If you are not competing at the top end of PvP, other people whaling the new characters has absolutely no effect on your game as you shouldn't get matched up against each other.
  • laughingMAN
    laughingMAN Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Additionally, whales are most likely to field high level 5*s, which in turn means they don't need to shield nearly as often, which then means they're consuming a lot less HP for shields that they can then use to buy character covers. As many have stated already, it seems like the devs' goal is to more strongly delineate "play currency" from "upgrade currency".
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    woopie wrote:

How is this change going to give the little guy a hand? It's obvious you need 1-2 of the top 5 characters to compete at high end PVP. Now you are fully reliant on RNGsus giving you those 13 covers in some 5/5/3 combo. If you are not competing at the top end of PvP, other people whaling the new characters has absolutely no effect on your game as you shouldn't get matched up against each other.

High end PvP is not for 'little guys' like me. What I meant by that is players in transition. You don't need 13 covers either - you need 3, 1 in each colour. Then I can use the CP which I very rarely spend anyway since I'm tired of pulling new characters that I have no space to roster because I can't afford roster slots while paying for shields and saving up to buy covers. Now however that 300cp or so I have collected is suddenly incredibly useful to me as I can use it to buy covers for the 4* characters that I haven't touched for 2 months because every time I use a token I pull another new character I have to find roster space for.

It also means I don't have to rely on rngesus to give me the covers I need. I understand that people sitting on a huge pile of HP are upset about this change what I can't understand is why? If you had a pile of HP and you hadn't already whaled the covers you wanted then what were you doing with that HP?

for me though sitting on a relatively large sum of CP because I don't want to rely on tokens it's a great change, my CP is now useful. Yep I still need to rely on rngesus to give me that first cover (as your rightly say) but then you had to do the same when it was a HP purchase so that argument is not completely invalid but certainly weak.
  • woopie
    CP trickles in much too slowly to be a long term solution for buying specific covers. Those 300 CPs will only get you 2 4* covers. So that 1/1/1 4* is still going to be relatively useless unless RNGsus helps you out. Random progression is no progression at all
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Saying "evening " is kind of like the cable company giving you a window of noon to 4:00.

Can we please narrow it down? I have 8 three star covers that I'd like to use for Championing that expire in less than 5 hours. I'm sure others are in the same boat.

Knowing if I need to sell them or not would be very appreciated!
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's live now.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    My game just did one of those "mini updates," and unless I miss my guess, it is live!
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald wrote:
    My game just did one of those "mini updates," and unless I miss my guess, it is live!
    woohoo, here we go boys and girls.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    If I would've known in advance that I needed to do was ask to make it go live, I would've asked earlier today!
  • TheDrStrange
    TheDrStrange Posts: 89 Match Maker
    I already love this new system. 4 Legendary tokens right off the bat!
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's live and additional cover levels are still bought with HP, not CP, afaict.

Also, for some reason Devil Dinosaur's XP bar is on the fritz ... again. icon_rolleyes.gif