Champion Levels Going Live Jan. 07, 2016

Comments

• woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    I'm going to miss finding Colog in PvP after a new character release to see how good/bad they are
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 533 Critical Contributor
    I'm relatively agnostic on the change as I rarely purchased covers but less than 24 hours on a change this big to the in game economy seems ill advised.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Part of me thinks this HP thing is all a mistake, that they're just not explaining it right. I mean, what company would pull such a blatant (and needless) bait and switch on an already cranky user base?
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am going to wait to see if the purchase packages get a chance before i spend more, they may come with more CP soon, best way to address all the concerns on future purchases.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't have an HP stockpile. I actually am 125 short of being able to roster Miles Morales before he expires tonight. (Goodbye Hawkeye?).

Anyway, I think you should consider allowing covers to be purchased with BOTH HP and CP for a period of time (30 days? end of next season?) before officially making the transition. That's a big change that concerns real $$ to drop with little (forum readers) to no notice (non-forum readers).

Edit: other than that, I see all these changes as positive.
  • Malcrof wrote:
    I am going to wait to see if the purchase packages get a chance before i spend more, they may come with more CP soon, best way to address all the concerns on future purchases.

Perhaps, but it would be better if one of the Reds could at least semi-address some of these rather legitimate concerns. Announcing a short notice major change like this, and disappearing like bandits in the night is not a good way to build up goodwill with the player base.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    This change to buying covers with CP at 3* and 4* levels arguably makes buying ISO-8 more appealing, and I'm almost certain that's an intended consequence.

HP is still an important resource - for shields & roster spots - but you can get a fairly decent supply just through regular play. Whales, etc. are buying it in bulk for Command Points and for the 40-token packs. That's not going to change.

This could result in a nice set of metrics that show people are buying ISO in sufficient quantities, so there's no need to increase the value of those packs.

As in all things, this too shall pass.
  • Noobulator
    Noobulator Posts: 176 Tile Toppler
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi everyone,

Here's word from Demiurge on the release of the new Champion Levels feature:

"Starting tomorrow, you can promote your max level Heroes into Champions. There are a few other things we would like to bring to your attention as well.

Champions and Champion Levels
      You can level your Max Level Heroes past their max level. Each Champion Level gives you a Reward. Champions allow you to reallocate ability levels as many times as you want.

Ability Upgrade Purchases
      You are no longer able to purchase Ability Level Upgrades with Hero Points. Command Points can be used to purchase Ability Level Upgrades for 3 and 4-Stars (20 and 120 respectively).

Character Attribute Updates
      Sam Wilson (Captain America) has seen an update to his ability values. For example, Sam Wilson’s powers have gotten 40% better at base level. 3 and 4-Star Hero powers have been adjusted. Powers are stronger at lower levels, slightly weaker at medium levels and unchanged at Max Level. 2-Star Characters have had their health adjusted above level 94 to better balance them against each other. As part of the championing balance changes 2, 3 and 4-star characters will see a slight difference in match damage and health."

We'll have additional info on many of these topics available soon. We hope you enjoy your new Champions!

How is this change to HP not complete fraud. You had a sale and now the HP is worthless. Why are you doing this?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Announcing a short notice major change like this, and disappearing like bandits in the night is not a good way to build up goodwill with the player base.
    lukedunphy.JPG

"Sometimes"? More like every time...
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    Now m definitely glad I don't whale and never saw the point in buying covers.

Bring on the changes. I was getting bored with the game.
  • Arondite wrote:
    So how are you gonna be handling HP Refunds? A Ton of users stockpiled hp while it was on sale for the holidays with the intent of maxing heroes as they acquire them. The currency has been misrepresented - there's no way you didnt know this change was in the pipes when you put that sale up. Last grab for money before you jam the paying customers in the bum? I'm assuming most of them are going to be pretty displeased with that, particularly the bigger spenders like [well known player here] and [well known player and forum-goer here].

udonomefoo wrote:
    I don't have an HP stockpile. I actually am 125 short of being able to roster Miles Morales before he expires tonight. (Goodbye Hawkeye?).

Anyway, I think you should consider allowing covers to be purchased with BOTH HP and CP for a period of time (30 days? end of next season?) before officially making the transition. That's a big change that concerns real $$ to drop with little (forum readers) to no notice (non-forum readers).

Edit: other than that, I see all these changes as positive.

HP or CP should go until the anniversary. I bought what I thought was enough HP to last me until the next known sale (the anniversary is the only consistent sale I am aware of). I was planning on buying covers for Iceman, and then enough to max any new 4* release that seemed OP/game-breaking and have it maxed week 1.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 806 Critical Contributor
    woopie wrote:
    I'm going to miss finding Colog in PvP after a new character release to see how good/bad they are

Yes based on the explanation so far it looks like I am no longer the kind of player they want. I will wait until I see how it works after tomorrow. My early reaction is overwhelming disappointment because it looks like the way I enjoy playing the game is being removed.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Sitting on 30k HP. I wanted to wait until Champions were released to open all my saved tokens, and then spend the HP on covers that I want to buy out. I can still do that today, except Blue Iceman from pve probably won't come in on time since I joined slice 4. My Iceman is 4/0/3 and I was going to spend HP on him. I hope one of my tokens pull a blue! icon_e_sad.gificon_e_sad.gificon_e_sad.gif
  • woopie wrote:

Yes based on the explanation so far it looks like I am no longer the kind of player they want. I will wait until I see how it works after tomorrow. My early reaction is overwhelming disappointment because it looks like the way I enjoy playing the game is being removed.
    That really sucks man. What a huge disappointment.

Yesterday I was skipping targets in PvP and found a 345 Venom and immediately thought "****? Who the **** ha-- .... oh, that's just Colog."
  • Tarouza
    Tarouza Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Malcrof wrote:

Perhaps, but it would be better if one of the Reds could at least semi-address some of these rather legitimate concerns. Announcing a short notice major change like this, and disappearing like bandits in the night is not a good way to build up goodwill with the player base.

You must be new here icon_e_smile.gif working as intended, see every other change made to this game as well as ultron and Galactus runs
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ruinate wrote:
    Sitting on 30k HP. I wanted to wait until Champions were released to open all my saved tokens, and then spend the HP on covers that I want to buy out. I can still do that today, except Blue Iceman from pve probably won't come in on time since I joined slice 4. My Iceman is 4/0/3 and I was going to spend HP on him. I hope one of my tokens pull a blue! icon_e_sad.gificon_e_sad.gificon_e_sad.gif
    This is a good point too.

People hoarded tokens to pull when championing arrived, but when it arrives you can't buy covers with your hoarded HP... which you would normally wait until you've pulled all your tokens to see what covers you have to buy.

Now people have roughly 1 day to pull all their tokens, and see what covers they need to buy before they can champion tomorrow... and that's only if they are on this forum reading this thread right now.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ruinate wrote:

Just wanted to say thank you. Stupid me was gonna whale first and open tokens after the change. Guess token party is today.

Also, pretty sure you're in my iceman bracket, and I need him too, so please waste time opening your tokens tonight around the final grind. Thanks again.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can we also address the extreme disparity in costs? Currently, purchasing a 3* cover with HP costs 1250 HP and a 4* cover only twice that much. I don't see why a change of currency must also change it so the 4* cover now costs 6 times more. Especially since, as I apparently will never stop needing to state, it is the 4* transition the one that needs more help.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    My best guess on what the HP change is supposed to accomplish is that with Champions in play, vets are going to find that most, if not all, the 3* covers they get are valuable again. So in theory, if I have 2800 HP on hand it's finally worth spending that currency on a 10-pack, because most -- maybe all! -- of the covers in it will be usable. Ideally for D3, the relatively small number of whales who buy a Stark Salary each week or two so they can max the latest 4* get replaced by a whole bunch of lesser spenders buying the odd 10- or 40-pack.

From what I know of F2P economics, that seems like a pattern that doesn't show up often. Whales are kinda the lifeblood of the genre. I assume they couldn't have done this without D3 checking their math twenty times over, but....
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, it's definitely worth noting that this is one case where you should be contesting charges if you bought HP recently and are unhappy.

HP had provided a level of obfuscation between money and characters in the past, but this is the first time that the actual goods purchased have been devalued.

Refunds should be awarded and, if not, Contested Charges should easily be resolved in favour of customers in this instance