Champion Levels Going Live Jan. 07, 2016

Comments

• jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    boostedseo wrote:
    Why can't people continue to buy covers with hp, until reaching 13 covers, then cp for championing covers?

I was wondering this exact thing.
  • Tarouza
    Tarouza Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    boostedseo wrote:
    Why can't people continue to buy covers with hp, until reaching 13 covers, then cp for championing covers?

Because that would make too much sense and you really trust them to have the skill to program that based on their illustrious history
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    boostedseo wrote:

This is actually what I thought they meant originally. To literally devalue a currency after a sale and give 1/2 day notice.

Beyond stupefied. I will continue to play here and there but no where near the way I use to. Moved on to the Marvel RPG game every has talked about. Just as fun and I am shocked how nice they are with rewards when they mess up.

Oh well.
  • G25
    G25 Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    boostedseo wrote:

Great idea..

Another great idea on another thread was at least do a 1 time hp to cp conversion.
  • razput1n
    razput1n Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    You can still purchase covers today and tomorrow morning, so don't see the big deal for those asking for a refund.

This change sounds good, I hate fighting people with fully covered 4* the day the event ends, now whales have to work more for it like the rest of us. Pay 2 Win is not your friend.
  • Rhycar
    Rhycar Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    razput1n wrote:
    You can still purchase covers today and tomorrow morning, so don't see the big deal for those asking for a refund.

That's fine for us (ok, not really, but it's an option), but what about the players who don't see this until it's already implemented? There are certainly going to be dozens, if not hundreds, who bought during the sale and are going to have severely devalued HP tomorrow when this goes live, and they won't know it until it's too late.
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    JVReal wrote:
    A couple of questions:

You specifically state 3 & 4* ability upgrades will be purchasable with CP now instead of HP, but you didn't mention 5*. Is this because 5* ability upgrades are the same as they were... or are those no longer purchasable?
    EDIT: They answered this in a different post... would help if they posted the same information if they are posting it in multiple places.

Am I understanding this correctly, You can no longer purchase covers with HP... you now need CP. The quickest way to get CP is to buy HP... which you can no longer use for the covers that you want. So to get the newly highly valued currency (CP) you have to buy a boatload of newly less valued currency (HP)?

This makes me think of a person buying a 24 pack of Coca-Cola so that they can dump out the pop and turn in the empty cans for the .10 deposits... unless you are giving away more CP with the purchase of HP than you were before.
    The quickest way to get CP is through championing your characters.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    razput1n wrote:

People who do not yet have at least one cover of the ability they want to buy are SOL. People who were banking on a top 10 finish in the current PvE to open new colors of Iceman covers are extra SOL if they chose a late time bracket.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    razput1n wrote:

This change sounds good, I hate fighting people with fully covered 4* the day the event ends, now whales have to work more for it like the rest of us. Pay 2 Win is not your friend.

Except for those folks that aren't (lucky enough to be?) on the boards right now. No in-game messaging for them that says "Spend your HP's quick! They're about to be worthless!" I'd suspect this is 99% of the player base. Even in-game messaging won't work for the other 80% that don't log in every waking hour. What they need is a formal announcement and a nice, long transition period with ALL of the details so people can make informed decisions on what to do with their remaining HP's.

As far as whales go, I don't think you want to tick them off. They are funding the game. You drive them away and you have no game to play.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:
    As far as whales go, I don't think you want to tick them off. They are funding the game. You drive them away and you have no game to play.
    I think people overestimate the value of a relatively small number of whales compared to the token-buying, roster-slot-needing masses.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    DayvBang wrote:
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:
    I think people overestimate the value of a relatively small number of whales compared to the token-buying, roster-slot-needing masses.

I thought whales made up the vast majority of gaming income.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:

I thought whales made up the vast majority of gaming income.

Can't speak for MPQ specifically, but given how the data released from virtually every other online Freemium game whos earnings are tracked, almost 80-90% of sales income is through repeated purchases of the largest spenders. One-time purchasers of small quantities (say that 5 dollar sale that was on android last week) make up only 3 or 4% in the average freemium game, and infrequent spenders and medium-size spenders make up the rest.

So yeah, shooting your super-whales in the foot is pretty **** stupid, unless MPQ is the first ever exception to that earnings model.
  • razput1n
    razput1n Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Arondite wrote:
    Can't speak for MPQ specifically, but given how the data released from virtually every other online Freemium game whos earnings are tracked, almost 80-90% of sales income is through repeated purchases of the largest spenders. One-time purchasers of small quantities (say that 5 dollar sale that was on android last week) make up only 3 or 4% in the average freemium game, and infrequent spenders and medium-size spenders make up the rest.

So yeah, shooting your super-whales in the foot is pretty tinykitty stupid, unless MPQ is the first ever exception to that earnings model.

I work on an f2p game and this is not at all our experience, there's a tiny amount of players spending on the thousands, but then there's thousands of players spending on the 100s. When your game is setup for long time engagement like this, overtime people will put money into it.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    Eichen wrote:
    They killed two big birds with one stone and everyone is all upset.

First off Champions helps eliminate soft cappers. Maybe not eliminate them but at least make it more enticing to not soft cap.

The other big problem they got rid of is the lack of iso. It is now a way bigger currency in the game. It makes more sense to purchase ISO than HP now. It will be the best way to accumulate CP and everyone needs it anyway. I always see tons of complaints that it is not available enough yet I never see anyone ever saying they bought any but I always see that people bought HP.

Both changes everyone wanted just not the way that they wanted it.
    I don't know if I would be considered a 'softcapper', but I have a only a few 3*s max covered so far, but none max leveled. Most of them are somewhere between 2 and 10 covers randomly. I feel I would disadvantage myself if I were to, for example, dump all my ISO8 into leveling one character to 166 and let the rest stay behind in the low range (I would have to, I'm in constant lack of ISO already).
    If the game sees I have this 'strong' level 166 character (or maybe even stronger event-buffed) I figure it would put me up against higher scaling opponents than I'd want to take on. One character can't win em all.
    That's why I try to level them up more evenly so they don't get too far apart. I estimate I would need 200k+ of ISO8 to 'max level' my roster at its current coverage, ISO that takes time to accumulate, but during that time you're likely to receive a few more covers, and hey, higher levels means more ISO cost per level...
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    DeNappa wrote:
    Eichen wrote:
    They killed two big birds with one stone and everyone is all upset.

First off Champions helps eliminate soft cappers. Maybe not eliminate them but at least make it more enticing to not soft cap.

The other big problem they got rid of is the lack of iso. It is now a way bigger currency in the game. It makes more sense to purchase ISO than HP now. It will be the best way to accumulate CP and everyone needs it anyway. I always see tons of complaints that it is not available enough yet I never see anyone ever saying they bought any but I always see that people bought HP.

Both changes everyone wanted just not the way that they wanted it.
    I don't know if I would be considered a 'softcapper', but I have a only a few 3*s max covered so far, but none max leveled. Most of them are somewhere between 2 and 10 covers randomly. I feel I would disadvantage myself if I were to, for example, dump all my ISO8 into leveling one character to 166 and let the rest stay behind in the low range (I would have to, I'm in constant lack of ISO already).
    If the game sees I have this 'strong' level 166 character (or maybe even stronger event-buffed) I figure it would put me up against higher scaling opponents than I'd want to take on. One character can't win em all.
    That's why I try to level them up more evenly so they don't get too far apart. I estimate I would need 200k+ of ISO8 to 'max level' my roster at its current coverage, ISO that takes time to accumulate, but during that time you're likely to receive a few more covers, and hey, higher levels means more ISO cost per level...
    I don't get what richer is getting at with the lack of ISO. The reason whales and players in general bought HP is the fact that covers, roster slots and shields are more useful. It a whale was missing a cover so had a character 5,0,0 they would but 40 packs of that characters featured run. They would have better odds to get the last 2 covers they need and then sell the extra covers for ISO. The reason high end players have so much ISO isn't from purchasing it, it is from selling extra covers. Now players will be investing ISO to champion characters and using those covers to earn rewards. Now those rewards over time will potentially give more ISO, but it will be later instead of right away. Players will not buy ISO because it is way over priced for what you actually get. I have four or five 4* with 13 covers but because they are lower tier for PVP I have not taken them to a very high level. It would cost over 1MM ISO to level 3 of them to max and then more to champion them. HP isn't the problem it is lack of ISO that is still the problem.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    razput1n wrote:
    Arondite wrote:

So yeah, shooting your super-whales in the foot is pretty tinykitty stupid, unless MPQ is the first ever exception to that earnings model.

I work on an f2p game and this is not at all our experience, there's a tiny amount of players spending on the thousands, but then there's thousands of players spending on the 100s. When your game is setup for long time engagement like this, overtime people will put money into it.

Which game is that?
  • Sleepy72
    Sleepy72 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    I seem to be the only person who is a bit peeved at having bought hp during last months sale to find out I have only one days notice to buy covers with it. Awesome not like i would not have spent so much if i had an idea that in 2 weeks time using hp to buy covers was not going to be an option. That's just piss poor on the devs part they knew the change upcoming and chose to not give any notice of it coming into effect 2 weeks after a big sale. I choose to picture the devs as jenna jameson with a strap on at least that way if i am getting screwed in the a!# it's not so bad.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Man, what a turn around, I went from extremely excited about this update to off put by it really fast. A bunch of backdoor additions that we weren't told about and haven't been clarified. It's almost Galactus all over again.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Has it been detailed the cost of championing a maxed char? (after last 2 days, it would be a crack if you need... CP for it!!)
    Can you champion all chars, or just a limited amount?
    Will it be a flat amount for all chars, or will it be increased slot-style?
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    Wolarsen wrote:
    Has it been detailed the cost of championing a maxed char? (after last 2 days, it would be a crack if you need... CP for it!!)
    Can you champion all chars, or just a limited amount?
    Will it be a flat amount for all chars, or will it be increased slot-style?
    5000 ISo for 2*, 7500 iso for 3*, 10k iso for 4* and 20k iso for 5*