MPQ At Marvel.com: Champion Levels

Options

Comments

• ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Cool, more progression.

I have one worry, that I hope a dev can comment on: If I get another black cover for my 2/5/2 X-Force, can I champion him? Or is it still a dud until I've got 13 covers?

I really, really hope it works once you have 5 (+1) covers in a color. Finally won't keep feeling the rage I felt for my 6th, 7th HB red, 9th X-force Black, 7th IW in every color, 7th Fury Blue... in fact I've gotten 7 covers in far more 4* powers than those I've gotten 4 in! It's brutal.

(Divine request: Assuming it doesn't bork you before 13 covers, don't suppose you've stored data on all the covers a player has sold? And can recover them somehow, to be used as champion upgrades? Sounds super unlikely, but man, e.g. it'd be cool to jump from 9 to 13 covers with some guys).

There will be some ISO crunch once this system hits, to get more people to 270, but I imagine people will want to champion the (already maxed) characters they use, not their d-list roster. The benefits for upping our already-maxed 3* with bonus drops is pretty exciting (especially unlocking 4* covers etc.
  • ErikPeter
    edited January 2016
    Options
    (accidental duplicate post)
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ErikPeter wrote:
    I have one worry, that I hope a dev can comment on: If I get another black cover for my 2/5/2 X-Force, can I champion him? Or is it still a dud until I've got 13 covers?

I really, really hope it works once you have 5 (+1) covers in a color. Finally won't keep feeling the rage I felt for my 6th, 7th HB red, 9th X-force Black, 7th IW in every color, 7th Fury Blue... in fact I've gotten 7 covers in far more 4* powers than those I've gotten 4 in! It's brutal.

(Divine request: Assuming it doesn't bork you before 13 covers, don't suppose you've stored data on all the covers a player has sold? And can recover them somehow, to be used as champion upgrades? Sounds super unlikely, but man, e.g. it'd be cool to jump from 9 to 13 covers with some guys).

There will be some ISO crunch once this system hits, to get more people to 270, but I imagine people will want to champion the (already maxed) characters they use, not their d-list roster. The benefits for upping our already-maxed 3* with bonus drops is pretty exciting (especially unlocking 4* covers etc.

Nope, nope, and nope, I'm afraid. Characters need to have 13 covers applied before you can champion them. And unfortunately, you're not going to get expired/sold covers back.

On the flip side, you don't need to worry about optimal build anymore. You can build your Hulkbuster 4/4/5, then champion them, and respec them to 5/5/3 when they're championed.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Gurlbye - The point being made is that this is generally helping tier x-1 more than it is helping tier x. For instance, I am likely to keep using my level 250 HB, JG, 4hor, Fury, KP, etc. over my maxed 3* unless/until I get enough extra covers and are boosted that week past where my 4* are effective. While I keep using those same guys you are slowly gaining on me with your 169 3*, then 172, etc. etc. Sure I have those 3* at extra levels as well, but saying that the gap is widening because my IF is at 176 and yours is only 172 is a silly thing to say when you are actively using yours and mine is mostly just for climbing, b-team, pve, etc.
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I assume this is the feature that the devs said would encourage people to max out their characters instead of keeping them lower. My question is then does scaling not take the extra levels into consideration? Otherwise, this feature, although I think it's very cool and I'm looking forward to it, this will screw with scaling big time for those who champion, and nothing changes for those who don't.

Now, if these levels are considered bonus levels, and don't count towards scaling, now I see a much bigger benefit there, at least in PVE land.
  • rbdragon wrote:
    I assume this is the feature that the devs said would encourage people to max out their characters instead of keeping them lower. My question is then does scaling not take the extra levels into consideration? Otherwise, this feature, although I think it's very cool and I'm looking forward to it, this will screw with scaling big time for those who champion, and nothing changes for those who don't.

Now, if these levels are considered bonus levels, and don't count towards scaling, now I see a much bigger benefit there, at least in PVE land.

I assume scaling would be taken into account with the Champion levels, but as somebody who does softcap around level 94, now I'm going to have 2* characters get to level 100, 120, to 144. I'm going to take my 3*s who are useful up to those levels, too, letting me progress consistently with my existing 2*s while also getting to higher levels with my 3*s, giving me a better chance to be more competitive in PVP. And if I am getting all the way to 144, making a jump to 166 probably leaves the 144 MaxChamps still pretty useful, and the transistion less scary for me.

So this gives me better reason to level not just my 2*s, but my 3*s as well.
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    champions NOT factoring into scaling would be too good to be true.
  • ErikPeter
    Options
    morph3us wrote:
    ErikPeter wrote:

I really, really hope it works once you have 5 (+1) covers in a color...

Nope, nope, and nope, I'm afraid. Characters need to have 13 covers applied before you can champion them. ...

On the flip side, you don't need to worry about optimal build anymore. You can build your Hulkbuster 4/4/5, then champion them, and respec them to 5/5/3 when they're championed.
    Is that confirmed by a Dev/redname? Because if so, tinykitty. That implies that despite having characters at 170, 180, 210, 210, (Plus 270 Logan and my 2-year award Surfer waiting to be recruited,) to the Devs I'm still a 3*-tier player. Which feels... disheartening.

My only 13 cover 4* is IW, and I've got an additional blue stashed right now. I haven't given her the last 90 levels because, well, you know, IW. Let's just say I'm much more interested in advancing other characters, but if you're right.. poop. Then for me this new system is really just "a reason to do the Big Enchilada again". Which is nice, I mean, anything better than 500 ISO for an unusable cover is gravy. But first hearing about it I thought it might help me progress faster, and if you're right, that isn't the case.
  • Thorzhamer
    Thorzhamer Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Forgive me in advance if this has been brought up already in this thread ... Here is my MAJOR complaint.

I get 80% or more of my ISO from cashing in unneeded covers..... How will I be able to level ANYTHING after this????

To me this is without a doubt the bigger issue..... Not what to do with useless covers, but where do I get ISO to ACTUALLY max the ones I do have covered?
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thorzhamer wrote:
    Forgive me in advance if this has been brought up already in this thread ... Here is my MAJOR complaint.

I get 80% or more of my ISO from cashing in unneeded covers..... He will I be able to level ANYTHING after this????

The theory is that you will earn enough in the rewards for each champion level to make up for the ISO lost from selling the covers. We shall see how it works out. Regardless, I think ISO flow does need to increase overall.
  • Thorzhamer
    Thorzhamer Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Thorzhamer wrote:

I get 80% or more of my ISO from cashing in unneeded covers..... He will I be able to level ANYTHING after this????

The theory is that you will earn enough in the rewards for each champion level to make up for the ISO lost from selling the covers. We shall see how it works out. Regardless, I think ISO flow does need to increase overall.

Does it ever.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thorzhamer wrote:

But how far down the road? What's the break even point 20 covers? 40? 80?
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think this sounds great! There's something to strive for other than LTs again icon_e_smile.gif
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I will wait until I see it in action before I pass judgement. I will admit I was more than a bit shocked to hear the already overpowered 5* tier included, however I can't see more than the top 1% of whales maxing a 5* and then continue to purchase HP en masse enough to have a max champion 5*.

This still doesn't help solve the massive discrepancy between those who are favoured through RNG and those who are hated. I know I went over 3 months of pulling nothing but 2* from heroic and tacos whilst some were getting a good 50% 3* or higher during the same period.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Options
    slidecage wrote:
    We know you’re likely eager to uncover more about the all-new Champion Levels arriving soon in Marvel Puzzle Quest!

so mostly can count on not happening this or next week? if it was this week you would thought they would said THURSDAY?

i wonder how this will effect scaling say right now someone is fighting 166 max teams in PVP but they dont have their people to 166. Those 166 people Champ all of their people and say in 2 to 3 months they have extra 20 covers on them

so now these 166 normal people are going to be forced to fight 166 X 20 champion levels

Your logic flaws very bad and this is why: Every cover expires is 2 weeks from the date you got it. So it's impossible anybody has that many covers of the same character when the update hits. Maybe there's gonna be some lucky guys who have, what, 2-3 covers, of the same 1-2 characters ? That's not a big advantage, and I highlight again: you have to be LUCKY to have those covers earned in the last 1 week and a half (because the update is likely to hit in a couple of days or more). So stop complaining.
  • D4Ni13
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    Can a Dev explain to me how this is not going to create a bigger gap between the top middle and bottom? Now players will not face a 270 IMHB but a 370 IMHB in PVP even if he is not buffed. Oh wait till this character gets buffed to 450+

Oh yea and how does this help when it cost so much to just level a character with ISO for the 4* transition players? Oh I know we need to champion our 2 and 3* and play with them again before we can progress to 4* land. I really though I already went through the 2-3* transition and was in the 3-4* transition?

Well at least all the players buying 40 packs will feel better. The rest of the players who work har to earn the rewards in game will just be left in the dust.

MPQ has spoken pay up or Start over in 2* land. Don't forget to spend the 1000 HP to roster slot that shiny champion 2*.

Sorry for being negative, but I really don't see this as a help for players trying to progress on a modest budget, and how it will make the game more fun for non top tier players in PVP.

Maybe you're not seeing the big picture here.
    Lets say you earn 5 heroic tokens. You don't get anybody you want. But you earn 5 covers you already have. You put them in the champion system and you get other rewards.
    So instead of getting ISO-8 for your 5 sold covers, you can get Hero Points, other tokens or rewards, from the Champion System.

Yes, maybe you won't earn your desired 4 stars, but you would earn more from before unusable covers. So better rewards and experience for everybody overall icon_e_smile.gif.
  • D4Ni13
    Options
    D4Ni13 wrote:
    So stop complaining.

Not gonna happen I'm afraid.

Yes, probably icon_e_smile.gif
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    Options
    so are they going to kill the cover expiration timer with this addition, if not can we make all covers colorless now?
  • Kirinknight
    Kirinknight Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    Options
    So am I understanding correctly this new system that they basicly took away everyone's maxed characters by adding new levels to reach for through championing? Seems like kicking the can down the road but does everyone else think progress?
  • so if you have a character at 0/5/2 and get another cover for the 5, you cant do anything with it, since it needs max level first, thats a bummer icon_e_sad.gif