MPQ At Marvel.com: Champion Levels

Options
David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Hello everyone,

We know you’re likely eager to uncover more about the all-new Champion Levels arriving soon in Marvel Puzzle Quest!

Head on over to Marvel.com right now for in-depth details in a chat with MPQ producer, Joe Fletcher. Cool preview screenshots are available.

You can READ IT HERE.

PIECING TOGETHER MARVEL PUZZLE QUEST: CHAMPION LEVELS
Quote:
"Marvel.com: Ok Champion Levels seem just a tad complex. Can we get a tl;dr to start us off?

Joe Fletcher: Champion Levels are actually a relatively simple system, it just sounds complex at the outset. Basically, if you have a 2 stars or better character at max level, you can pay a one-time cost in Iso-8 to make them into a Champion.

Once they’re Champions, two things happen. First is that you can re-spec their powers for free any time you want. No more paying covers to move their powers around! Second is that you can use any additional covers you gain for that character to level them up. One cover, one level, with no additional Iso-8 cost for each level at that point. So a Champion Iron Fist can go up 3 levels with 3 Iron Fist covers that you gain."

Comments

• The feeling I'm getting from this feature is that, like.

"Ok, we understand that it takes forever to get a bunch of fully covered 3*s, and it takes double forever to get a bunch of fully covered 4*s.

So, while you're collecting those, you can slowly level up and get bonuses for all your current cast of characters while you wait, so you don't feel like you're in a TOTAL stall waiting."

How much this helps... depends on the person.

Although for that one guy who keeps getting nothing but M. Hawkeyes, well, you can see just how many more of them then Ares you're getting, at least.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Options
    2* - 5000 to promote
    3* - 7500

Reasonable to assume 10k for 4*s?
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We know you’re likely eager to uncover more about the all-new Champion Levels arriving soon in Marvel Puzzle Quest!

so mostly can count on not happening this or next week? if it was this week you would thought they would said THURSDAY?

i wonder how this will effect scaling say right now someone is fighting 166 max teams in PVP but they dont have their people to 166. Those 166 people Champ all of their people and say in 2 to 3 months they have extra 20 covers on them

so now these 166 normal people are going to be forced to fight 166 X 20 champion levels
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Solid feature, although questions remains about the bonuses you get w/ each level up AND how abilities will scale.

I have to assume this goes live this week, so it's safe to open my token hoard?

Hopefully it goes live before my CMags covers expire in 4 days, though.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've got an Iron Fist cover at stake expiring in 3 days, devs. Transform and roll out!!!!
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can we expect any insight on players with duplicate characters?

For instance, I have about 10 dup 3* and 4* characters, any chance I can merge them with my max covered/leveled characters?

Or are all my dups now "worthless"? (Yes I am aware I can sell them for roster space).
  • Can we expect any insight on players with duplicate characters?

For instance, I have about 10 dup 3* and 4* characters, any chance I can merge them with my max covered/leveled characters?

Or are all my dups now "worthless"? (Yes I am aware I can sell them for roster space).

I got nothing official, but this is probably something a pretty low % of the playerbase dose, so I doubt it's going to happen.

Best case scenario I can think of is "If you ask Customer Support for the covers you may get them manually. And that is a pretty hard maybe."
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,493 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Honestly, If your dupes are in decent shape (cover maxed and with levels) you should keep running them to give your roster some width and staying power.

By that I mean, use 1 character on your initial climb, and then when he runs low swap him out.

I have two maxed IF. I run 1 specced to support jeanbuster, and another version to do soft climbs with IF / Cyclops or Gamorra etc...

having fully powered dupes is never a bad thing.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phumade wrote:

Honestly, If your dupes are in decent shape (cover maxed and with levels) you should keep running them to give your roster some width and staying power.

By that I mean, use 1 character on your initial climb, and then when he runs low swap him out.

I have two maxed IF. I run 1 specced to support jeanbuster, and another version to do soft climbs with IF / Cyclops or Gamorra etc...

having fully powered dupes is never a bad thing.

I made the dups so I can have multiple builds (e.g. Groot as 3/5/5 and 5/3/5) but now with Champions they can be respec'ed at any time so that's why my dups are pointless. Fortunately the only dup I leveled was 3* Thor, the rest I have kept at level 40 until I had them fully covered. I get what you are saying but I might be better off selling off some of the dups like Captain Marvel, I don't need a 5/5/3, 3/5/5 anymore but could use the roster spot.
  • Yeah, the roster spot seems like it'd be more valuable right now anyways.

I'd be pretty excited to get that spot, too.

You can put the New 4* Of The Week there!

....meanwhile, back in 2 -> 3 star land, I'm wondering if I'd get much value out of a champion 2* Thor or Daken, as I'd have their 3* versions at semi-usable covers... but what sorts of craaaaazy rewards do you get with each Champion level?
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Get a customer support request in early to ask them to give you the component covers and ISO from the dupes before they get sick of people asking and come up with a proper "no" form letter?
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    colwag wrote:
    Yeah, the roster spot seems like it'd be more valuable right now anyways.

I'd be pretty excited to get that spot, too.

You can put the New 4* Of The Week there!

....meanwhile, back in 2 -> 3 star land, I'm wondering if I'd get much value out of a champion 2* Thor or Daken, as I'd have their 3* versions at semi-usable covers... but what sorts of craaaaazy rewards do you get with each Champion level?

As someone in the 4* land, I'm more excited about championing 2*'s for now. Those are the ones I'm going to max really quickly in comparison and, by the look of things, get some really useful rewards along the way.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can a Dev explain to me how this is not going to create a bigger gap between the top middle and bottom? Now players will not face a 270 IMHB but a 370 IMHB in PVP even if he is not buffed. Oh wait till this character gets buffed to 450+

Oh yea and how does this help when it cost so much to just level a character with ISO for the 4* transition players? Oh I know we need to champion our 2 and 3* and play with them again before we can progress to 4* land. I really though I already went through the 2-3* transition and was in the 3-4* transition?

Well at least all the players buying 40 packs will feel better. The rest of the players who work har to earn the rewards in game will just be left in the dust.

MPQ has spoken pay up or Start over in 2* land. Don't forget to spend the 1000 HP to roster slot that shiny champion 2*.

Sorry for being negative, but I really don't see this as a help for players trying to progress on a modest budget, and how it will make the game more fun for non top tier players in PVP.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This isn't going to help my 12 green I.W icon_e_sad.gif
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't like this
  • wymtime wrote:
    Can a Dev explain to me how this is not going to create a bigger gap between the top middle and bottom? Now players will not face a 270 IMHB but a 370 IMHB in PVP even if he is not buffed. Oh wait till this character gets buffed to 450+

Oh yea and how does this help when it cost so much to just level a character with ISO for the 4* transition players? Oh I know we need to champion our 2 and 3* and play with them again before we can progress to 4* land. I really though I already went through the 2-3* transition and was in the 3-4* transition?

Well at least all the players buying 40 packs will feel better. The rest of the players who work har to earn the rewards in game will just be left in the dust.

MPQ has spoken pay up or Start over in 2* land. Don't forget to spend the 1000 HP to roster slot that shiny champion 2*.

Sorry for being negative, but I really don't see this as a help for players trying to progress on a modest budget, and how it will make the game more fun for non top tier players in PVP.

It may depend on the size of the rewards, and where you are exactly.

Like, if you have a Level 94 2* right now, will the 50 rewards you get for Championing them make up for the 17.5K Iso cost of leveling them up? (Championing them + Resale cost of covers)?

In terms of pure value (CP/Other Covers/HP), probably. But in terms of pure, unadulterated Iso? That's a way bigger maybe. Possibly, but still a maybe.

I'd think that this feature is more for the people who are stuck in a tier who are cover-starved, who can still make (slower) progress on the maxed out characters they already have, moreso then people who are Iso-starved, who tend to get enough Iso to get one level up faster then you'll probably get another 3* cover to get one level up.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Options
    wymtime wrote:

Think about it though. That would require that person to have gained 113 IMHB covers to fully max out IMHB. If they let people still buy those additional covers via imcoin.png maybe someone might do that. But the majority of folks are not going to just luck into 100 IMHB covers in the next month.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,312 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime wrote:

What? You can be sure that you as the transition player are going to get extra covers of your maxed characters much more often that the people sitting atop are going to get extra covers of their highest level characters (barring whales). Case in point, I've been hoarding covers for a couple weeks now and I have dozens of extra 3* covers to ONE extra 4* cover. The gap you are talking about is going to narrow, not widen.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Well this sounds awful.

So it took too long to grind a character to max? Now it takes even longer.

You thought you had a character at max? Ha! He's still got 100 levels to go!

You wanted that extra cover to be useful? Well, as long as the character is maxed out, it is! If you didn't take them to max, you are SOL!

My whole roster just got demoted. I am not happy at all.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Copied from other thread I posted in.

Someone in my group asked me if I had a different stance on all my dupes because of the feature. Easy answer, nope. I've got 3 usable SW's and IM40s, multiple 3* and 4* dupes (list in signature). I've underleveled all my 3* at 140, and plan to take my 4* to only 200. Championing 4* is something I will never choose to do. 3* is a possibility, and I will definitely be championing some 2*. I would definitely prefer a dupe than a championed 3* because of the immediate usefulness of the dupe (saving healthpacks in pve). Choice between a 1 cover dupe or a 167 champion, slowly gaining levels as covers come in, easy choice for me. Covers do take a while to come in, especially with 40 3* in rotation, so it will take a while for anyone not willing to buy out covers. I do like what I see so far, as it makes it seem like Demiurge is doing things with a long term goal in mind, which hopefully means that the game might be around for a lot longer.

If they gave me the option to combine, I'd probably pass. I'd rather have 3 usable SW than one champion at level 191 ( dupe is 535 but 3rd only 525 right now ).