MPQ At Marvel.com: Champion Levels

Options

Comments

• GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:

What? You can be sure that you as the transition player are going to get extra covers of your maxed characters much more often that the people sitting atop are going to get extra covers of their highest level characters (barring whales). Case in point, I've been hoarding covers for a couple weeks now and I have dozens of extra 3* covers to ONE extra 4* cover. The gap you are talking about is going to narrow, not widen.

1-3 star.png by nature are more common, as 2 stars are more common then them etc. Unless you only open legendaries, you will never have more star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png then 3 sitting around.
    2- 3 star.png 's are some of the most powerful characters in game. Not including 5 stars, 3's are incredibly powerful and with this update can be greatly raised in levels. icon_blade.pngicon_blackwidow.pngicon_doctordoom.pngicon_cyclops.pngicon_kamalakhan.pngicon_magneto.pngicon_scarletwitch.pngicon_wolverine.pngicon_captainamerica.pngicon_ironfist.png over max level are all VERY threatening, and the fact that you are dismissing having dozens of extra 3 star.png covers is kinda mind blowing right now. (ugh I can only champion the strong characters, not the ridiculous ones like star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_ironman.pngicon_iceman.pngicon_jeangrey.png )
    3- How would the gap be smaller? Someone who has more opportunity at higher level covers or buys more higher level covers is at a more distinct advantage. That's pretty much that.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yay for level 550 SS/OML/Pnx on the 2nd day of champion update.
  • I do think that it's going to be impractical to actually level a Champion all the way to the top of their pile regularly before you actually get somebody of the next tier ready.

It just seems like a little bonus thing you can do while waiting for your Next Tier covers to drop, for you to dump iso into.

I am a bit worried about the 3 -> 4 * transition, though... there's a lot more heroes to level up for the sake of Championing them, and a lot more covers to sell for 500 Iso if you choose not to...
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jobob wrote:
    You thought you had a character at max? Ha! He's still got 100 levels to go!

There's a minutia of difference between a 166 and 186 character, and that's 20 extra covers. Dunno about you, but I don't get 20 covers of a specific 3* over a couple days, let alone 100.

Also, it's helluva lot better exchanging a cover of a maxed character for HP/CP/Legendary, or even just more than 500 iso. Sale prices on your covers just went up.

People are acting like the feature is going to be in place and everyone's jumping 100 levels tomorrow. The only ones with even a sliver of potential to do so are already rocking 3x450, so I think they've got you smoked anyway.

My only issue with this is you need to be at 94/166/270 before you can trigger champion status. It would be much better to be able to elevate to champion status once you get to 13 covers, and start increasing the level max with extras. You can always restrict the rewards til you actually max the character, but feels like a loss before that point.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,312 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

What? You can be sure that you as the transition player are going to get extra covers of your maxed characters much more often that the people sitting atop are going to get extra covers of their highest level characters (barring whales). Case in point, I've been hoarding covers for a couple weeks now and I have dozens of extra 3* covers to ONE extra 4* cover. The gap you are talking about is going to narrow, not widen.

1-3 star.png by nature are more common, as 2 stars are more common then them etc. Unless you only open legendaries, you will never have more star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png then 3 sitting around.
    2- 3 star.png 's are some of the most powerful characters in game. Not including 5 stars, 3's are incredibly powerful and with this update can be greatly raised in levels. icon_blade.pngicon_blackwidow.pngicon_doctordoom.pngicon_cyclops.pngicon_kamalakhan.pngicon_magneto.pngicon_scarletwitch.pngicon_wolverine.pngicon_captainamerica.pngicon_ironfist.png over max level are all VERY threatening, and the fact that you are dismissing having dozens of extra 3 star.png covers is kinda mind blowing right now. (ugh I can only champion the strong characters, not the ridiculous ones like star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_ironman.pngicon_iceman.pngicon_jeangrey.png )
    3- How would the gap be smaller? Someone who has more opportunity at higher level covers or buys more higher level covers is at a more distinct advantage. That's pretty much that.

Sorry, I don't really get your point. Yes, those characters you mention are quite great and I'll be quite happy of having them championed to aid me against the 350/350/270 teams that I usually see in PVP because most of my own 4*s are not well covered yet. I'm guessing that you are transitioning to 3* from 2*? How is it this not positive as well? You get a deluge of 2* covers every day. Your OBW and Ares will be 144 much, much, much faster than an average 3* player's Blade or Iron Fist will be 216, let alone 256. Is it not a net positive to battle an Iron Fist say, level 180 with a say, 120 OBW over 166 vs 94?
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options

My only issue with this is you need to be at 94/166/270 before you can trigger champion status. It would be much better to be able to elevate to champion status once you get to 13 covers, and start increasing the level max with extras. You can always restrict the rewards til you actually max the character, but feels like a loss before that point.
    This is far and away my biggest complaint. If they changed this aspect, I could stomach this addition.

As it is, it's the worst change to MPQ so far, and does the opposite of what the player base was asking for.
  • Pylgrim
    Options
    jobob wrote:

This is far and away my biggest complaint. If they changed this aspect, I could stomach this addition.

As it is, it's the worst change to MPQ so far, and does the opposite of what the player base was asking for.

You and like 2 other people are alone thinking this. Feel free to prove me wrong by creating a poll. This is a very positive feature.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    wymtime wrote:
    Can a Dev explain to me how this is not going to create a bigger gap between the top middle and bottom? Now players will not face a 270 IMHB but a 370 IMHB in PVP even if he is not buffed. Oh wait till this character gets buffed to 450+

Oh yea and how does this help when it cost so much to just level a character with ISO for the 4* transition players? Oh I know we need to champion our 2 and 3* and play with them again before we can progress to 4* land. I really though I already went through the 2-3* transition and was in the 3-4* transition?

Well at least all the players buying 40 packs will feel better. The rest of the players who work har to earn the rewards in game will just be left in the dust.

MPQ has spoken pay up or Start over in 2* land. Don't forget to spend the 1000 HP to roster slot that shiny champion 2*.

Sorry for being negative, but I really don't see this as a help for players trying to progress on a modest budget, and how it will make the game more fun for non top tier players in PVP.

There are players in the game with 2 and 3 duplicate 4* right now. I will give you that it will take a while for someone to move up 100 levels, but when you look at how many more 10 packs, top end players win, as well as 40 packs they might buy it will not take that long. We wondered how long it would take for someone to get a max SS and it was a month. How many extra 4* do you think that person got and how much higher their 4* and 3* would be now. Each character they champion progresses them further while the rest of the player base struggles to keep up even more.

The extra rewards and ramping the character is great. The extra levels is just making the gap bigger and bigger.

i have over 30 3* at 166 and 2 4* at 270. My initial feeling is this is just taking me back 10 steps instead of a step forward.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think all of the "in the long run the sky is falling, this sucks" posts aren't taking into account just how much more common 2*s are than 3*s, 3*s than 4*s, etc. This will absolutely act as a "catch up" mechanic for a lot of transitioners. As long as the rewards are an upgrade on the old sale price, then there is literally no downside to this.

Only problem for me is ISO. I'm gonna be like Tyrone Biggums: "y'all got some ISO?"
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

Sorry, I don't really get your point. Yes, those characters you mention are quite great and I'll be quite happy of having them championed to aid me against the 350/350/270 teams that I usually see in PVP because most of my own 4*s are not well covered yet. I'm guessing that you are transitioning to 3* from 2*? How is it this not positive as well? You get a deluge of 2* covers every day. Your OBW and Ares will be 144 much, much, much faster than an average 3* player's Blade or Iron Fist will be 216, let alone 256. Is it not a net positive to battle an Iron Fist say, level 180 with a say, 120 OBW over 166 vs 94?
    No they won't be.

Why are we mentioning average players and case to case basis stories instead of the general rules of this game.

The player aiming for championing 3's and 4's will have more iso and Hp and get more covers then I do. They will play and succeed more in pvp and earn more 2 star covers, they will earn more covers over all. They will earn the 3's they want less then they want to, but they will still earn those 2 star covers. they will still have an OBW and Ares before I'm able to based simply on how this game works.

You don't earn less 2 stars as you progress further nor do you earn less 3 stars when you transition to 4., so it's your point i'm failing to see is what i'm getting at. I want to understand I'm just not seeing it.

it's a net positive but that ironfist, especially maxed out isn't running alone. He also gains more per level then a 2 star does.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    jobob wrote:

You and like 2 other people are alone thinking this. Feel free to prove me wrong by creating a poll. This is a very positive feature.

Agree with Pylgrim on this one. Championing isn't designed to let you skip the natural progression of cover maxing, then level maxing your characters. If you don't have that character maxed, you sell the cover, and use the iso to help level them.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Options
    I think overall, this update will give EVERYONE lots to do for a good long while, and I'm cool with that. It may widen the gap at the very top, but you can now log on and at least feel you've progressed a little with that 123rd classic storm cover while you wait for that OML to drop. That is the feeling I get when I try a new game. Before this, people were just running in place and getting frustrated.
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    udonomefoo wrote:
    I think all of the "in the long run the sky is falling, this sucks" posts aren't taking into account just how much more common 2*s are than 3*s, 3*s than 4*s, etc. This will absolutely act as a "catch up" mechanic for a lot of transitioners. As long as the rewards are an upgrade on the old sale price, then there is literally no downside to this.

Only problem for me is ISO. I'm gonna be like Tyrone Biggums: "y'all got some ISO?"
    While I agree with you on all points, I feel compelled to emphasize the problem you point out - the ISO shortage. This does nothing to fix the problem most people have (and likely exacerbates it, really). While those extra covers will soon be welcome no matter what, getting characters to a point where they actually CAN be championed is still a daunting task for many.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    morph3us wrote:

Agree with Pylgrim on this one. Championing isn't designed to let you skip the natural progression of cover maxing, then level maxing your characters. If you don't have that character maxed, you sell the cover, and use the iso to help level them.
    but what about where you want to max but can't because you haven't been lucky enough to draw a proper build? Currently my JG is 5/2/5, 250 and I have 2 green in my queue.
    My choice is
    1: buy a blue, level to 270, promote, apply green covers
    2: stand pat, hope to pull a blue before the queue exprires, sell the extras
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Well, getting Bagman higher than level 94 is gonna be a challenge & a half! (Along with Devil Dino)
  • Pylgrim
    Options
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

No they won't be.

Why are we mentioning average players and case to case basis stories instead of the general rules of this game.

The player aiming for championing 3's and 4's will have more iso and Hp and get more covers then I do. They will play and succeed more in pvp and earn more 2 star covers, they will earn more covers over all. They will earn the 3's they want less then they want to, but they will still earn those 2 star covers. they will still have an OBW and Ares before I'm able to based simply on how this game works.

You don't earn less 2 stars as you progress further nor do you earn less 3 stars when you transition to 4., so it's your point i'm failing to see is what i'm getting at. I want to understand I'm just not seeing it.

it's a net positive but that ironfist, especially maxed out isn't running alone. He also gains more per level then a 2 star does.

For sure the 3* player will get more 2* covers than you... but most likely they will keep playing with their 3*s (unless their championed 2*s are buffed) so it makes no difference to you. I assure you that the 350 Hulkbusters owners I see in PVP are not going to swap it off with a 180 Luke Cage. Me getting a 180 Luke Cage (or say, 175 since it's true that they are more likely to get more covers than I), on the other hand, will help me against their 352 HBs, at least more than my current 166 does vs their 350 do.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    GurlBYE wrote:

But realistically, are they going to use them to champion 2*s? Not speaking for anyone else, but I'm certainly not going to spend iso on bringing my 2*s up, when I need it to finish levelling up 3*s.

This features feels, to me, like it's more immediately useful to 2* transitioners - if I was at the point where Ares and BW were the rock of my roster, I'd be throwing additional covers onto them asap. As a 3* player, I'm not.

And I'm not sure where you get the idea that players championing 3*s necessarily have more iso. I certainly don't have more iso on my main account than I do on my newbie account. Plus, you should keep in mind, iso expense - more iso as a 3* players doesn't mean more useable iso, as costs go up.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Marty17 wrote:
    Well, getting Bagman higher than level 94 is gonna be a challenge & a half! (Along with Devil Dino)

Doesn't Bagman drop in PVP, though?
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DFiPL wrote:
    Marty17 wrote:

Doesn't Bagman drop in PVP, though?

Heh, trolliest thing ever would be if the level 144 reward for Bagman were a Legendary Token or something like that.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    morph3us wrote:

but what about where you want to max but can't because you haven't been lucky enough to draw a proper build? Currently my JG is 5/2/5, 250 and I have 2 green in my queue.
    My choice is
    1: buy a blue, level to 270, promote, apply green covers
    2: stand pat, hope to pull a blue before the queue exprires, sell the extras

That's a reasonable point. That's where we're still at the mercy of RNGesus, or Demi hope that you buy the last cover before the other two expire... I think notamutant made that point in the other thread, Demi are totally hoping that you buy the last cover out to save your other covers from expiring.