No interest in new Elite tournament?

Options

Comments

• Kantail
    Kantail Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Options
    What score does it generally take to finish in the top 100? That feels like a reachable goal for the first/only time sice I have a lot of time tonight and think I can get my Thorverine/OBW high enough by just grinding 8 hours while people sleep then shielding

However I can really only afford the one shield. Blew what I promised myself I'd spend on this game plus $50 once I really got addicted in a stupid cover binge. Came to my senses after buying a pack where i sold 4 of the 10 2* covers just for ISO.

I know a lot of people will really push tomorrow and don't want to pay for a shield then realize I was a hundred or two points shy of where I should have been.
  • 2. Josemartins. He could have been saving on shields and starving the rest of the leaderboard's points with the lead he had. But he refuses to turtle, giving max possible points to everyone, so I have to take my shots at him too to stay ahead of the pack.

He and doombot both seem to be unshielding just to get in one attack, whereas my inclination has been to try and get at least 2 queued up before unshielding. With both of them being very willing to break shield to make points, it's forcing walkyourpath and I to do the same to keep up. I'm in third with a 100 point lead right now, but tomorrow will be interesting if they are both willing to break shield that often.
  • RangoFett wrote:
    2. Josemartins. He could have been saving on shields and starving the rest of the leaderboard's points with the lead he had. But he refuses to turtle, giving max possible points to everyone, so I have to take my shots at him too to stay ahead of the pack.

He and doombot both seem to be unshielding just to get in one attack, whereas my inclination has been to try and get at least 2 queued up before unshielding. With both of them being very willing to break shield to make points, it's forcing walkyourpath and I to do the same to keep up. I'm in third with a 100 point lead right now, but tomorrow will be interesting if they are both willing to break shield that often.

The only reason I have a lead on him is that I rolled the dice and went after him when he unshielded. He's running 120ish Spidey with max Patch and GSBW, so with no tank he's a bit more vulnerable, and he's got only Widow's purple to generate green. Not to mention Widow's green is slower than Patch's so she's kinda a 3rd wheel for that team. Liability on defense, redundant on offense.

Throwing Hulk in front of the strike tiles I made and procing AoE Anger damage means that even when I can't find blue for stunning I've got another way to take advantage of Berzerker Rage.

Stay strong, Rango - you're looking good! Hope things stay quiet until the home stretch tomorrow - I have work and I'd like to save the HP and not play during breaks/lunch. I need that time for closing out PvE subs, lol. *looks at himself in the mirror, shakes head disapprovingly*
  • Jachdo wrote:
    I'm taking same tact as walkyourpath, battle enough to stay in top 20 for days 1-5, then start the ascent for a two day shield and push. As long as you close out retaliations, not too hard to climb in the early going. Hopefully I can maintain my composure this time around when it gets rocky at the top.

Need to fill out villains and I want covers for respec.

And after toiling on sims all week, it's nice to compete against quality competition instead of newbie grinders.

You guys have fun, I'm sitting this one out. I still haven't mentally recovered from the last bout icon_e_wink.gif I'll probably enter late and shoot for a low tier price just for kicks.

At least you won't have to worry about the "N"'s this time! I'll be rooting for you guys!

I'm not sure how I got involved in this again.... it just.. happened.. icon_eek.gif
  • Certainly a different looking contest from last time, where anyone in and around the top 10 looked capable of making a push for a top 3 spot, this time round it is just that top 4 in the hunt. I really hope JoseMartins ends up with a top 3 finish this time around, but he plays so aggressively you always suspect he is going to get hit for some big points at some crucial moment. Also interesting to see Doombot up there and doing so well, his lineup is considerably the weakest of those top 4. It should all make for a good spectacle later on, and I can enjoy the commentary with no stress this time around!
  • RangoFett wrote:
    2. Josemartins. He could have been saving on shields and starving the rest of the leaderboard's points with the lead he had. But he refuses to turtle, giving max possible points to everyone, so I have to take my shots at him too to stay ahead of the pack.

Looks like jose and doombot traded attacks overnight to push again. I seriously doubt they can avoid the temptation to keep pushing, so hang in there and you'll get a chance to claw back in. I've been able to successfully hit them both while unshielded, so I'll be looking for a chance to put the hurt on them.
  • Nick-Fury wrote:
    Certainly a different looking contest from last time, where anyone in and around the top 10 looked capable of making a push for a top 3 spot, this time round it is just that top 4 in the hunt. I really hope JoseMartins ends up with a top 3 finish this time around, but he plays so aggressively you always suspect he is going to get hit for some big points at some crucial moment. Also interesting to see Doombot up there and doing so well, his lineup is considerably the weakest of those top 4. It should all make for a good spectacle later on, and I can enjoy the commentary with no stress this time around!

Yeah, the lead is phenomenal. I think this is a combination of learning from the last time, having a longer event time, and not being stuck in 0-Point Hell. In the last event, the chairs didn't shift at all until there were about 6 hours remaining. ...and if I remember correctly, you didn't get your huge lead (along with the with the other "N's") until the last hour or two.

I found climbing to be a lot easier this time for some reason. Might be an MMR thing, might be a timing thing -- I'm not sure. I only entered the tournament because I wanted to play some more, but was done with PvE, and couldn't effectively compete in the Lone Star event (ironically). I pretty much got into the top 10 unobstructed in one sitting. Figured I might was well shield and ride it out. icon_e_wink.gif I still have no intention of seriously competing, so before the end I'm sure my fall will be far and painful. Besides, the top honors are fairly well locked unless there are some fatal missteps. After what Jose went through last time, I'm sure he won't let it happen again!

I'm interested to see Doombots performance though. Honestly, even though his lineup may be the weakest, I think that has the least bearing on things. There comes a point where you can take down anyone with a decent enough team -- I think it's all about the speed and managing the meta. Whatever the case, Rango has certainly beefed up since the last time and Jose is being even more tenacious, so it should be a good battle!
  • Yeah I noticed they both jumped up a bit overnight. Cheeky monkeys. I still feel pretty confident about being able to get third. I've noticed that based off of his time spent unshielded and points gained, I can beat Doombots' team in about 1/2 the time it takes him to beat mine, So I should be able to hit him in the last several hours at least once or twice. He will also be a much juicier target for anyone below us in the ladder that manages to queue us up.
  • RangoFett wrote:
    Yeah I noticed they both jumped up a bit overnight. Cheeky monkeys. I still feel pretty confident about being able to get third. I've noticed that based off of his time spent unshielded and points gained, I can beat Doombots' team in about 1/2 the time it takes him to beat mine, So I should be able to hit him in the last several hours at least once or twice. He will also be a much juicier target for anyone below us in the ladder that manages to queue us up.

Yeah, I'm wondering if anyone below our group of 4 is getting us queued at all, or if we've pulled ahead to the point where we don't show up in MMR except for maybe the 5-10 crowd. I haven't been attacked by anyone other than the frontrunners for the last day now.
  • RangoFett wrote:
    Yeah I noticed they both jumped up a bit overnight. Cheeky monkeys. I still feel pretty confident about being able to get third. I've noticed that based off of his time spent unshielded and points gained, I can beat Doombots' team in about 1/2 the time it takes him to beat mine, So I should be able to hit him in the last several hours at least once or twice. He will also be a much juicier target for anyone below us in the ladder that manages to queue us up.

Yeah, I'm wondering if anyone below our group of 4 is getting us queued at all, or if we've pulled ahead to the point where we don't show up in MMR except for maybe the 5-10 crowd. I haven't been attacked by anyone other than the frontrunners for the last day now.

I was able to lock you in late last night (just in case icon_e_smile.gif ), but I haven't checked today yet.
  • Oh god I forgot about the incoming skip tax. Trying to nab unshielded top opponents is going to get EXPENSIVE, and I used up a bunch of my reserves levelling my Magneto NOW and Psylocke. I will probably be spending some real money before the end of the night.

Also, no one has unshielded (except walkyourpath briefly, but I wasn't looking when he did) for like the last 5 hours, and I'm 100 points behind third. I know things will probably get crazy again before the end, but if Doombot and Josemartins get comfortable with where they are and don't try to fight for first, I have this horrible fear that the top three are all going to shield through until the end, and because there is no other fight that is worth more than 1 point for me, I'm going to get locked out. I'm freaking out here icon_e_sad.gif

Also I'm unable to view leaderboards right now on the Steam version, so I can't even know when they are unshielded to start looking for fights.

EDIT: Leaderboards are back up.
  • RangoFett wrote:
    Oh god I forgot about the incoming skip tax. Trying to nab unshielded top opponents is going to get EXPENSIVE, and I used up a bunch of my reserves levelling my Magneto NOW and Psylocke. I will probably be spending some real money before the end of the night.

Also, no one has unshielded (except walkyourpath briefly, but I wasn't looking when he did) for like the last 5 hours, and I'm 100 points behind third. I know things will probably get crazy again before the end, but if Doombot and Josemartins get comfortable with where they are and don't try to fight for first, I have this horrible fear that the top three are all going to shield through until the end, and because there is no other fight that is worth more than 1 point for me, I'm going to get locked out. I'm freaking out here icon_e_sad.gif

Also I'm unable to view leaderboards right now on the Steam version, so I can't even know when they are unshielded to start looking for fights.

The real suck is that you can't buy any new boosts unless you "find" them again, like when you first started out.

Fortunately, I have the game on 2 devices and was able to stock up on the unpatched one.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    RangoFett wrote:
    Oh god I forgot about the incoming skip tax. Trying to nab unshielded top opponents is going to get EXPENSIVE, and I used up a bunch of my reserves levelling my Magneto NOW and Psylocke. I will probably be spending some real money before the end of the night.

Ah, that's an interesting dynamic of the 4 of you running away with it. If the top 3 collude and NEVER unshield, you can't possibly make it up there. Even beating the 5th place guy (Bonfire) will probably only give you a point. Ouch.
  • Looking at that doombot guys roster, how the hell is he competing with/ beating you guys at the top?? Boosting every match? What's his team?
  • His team is OBW/Ares/Hulk. I would assume he's using boosts.
  • He's using boosts and has been breaking shield even if it's just for one fight. He's probably spent at least 3000 HP over the course of the tourney so far.
  • sms4002 wrote:
    Looking at that doombot guys roster, how the hell is he competing with/ beating you guys at the top?? Boosting every match? What's his team?
    Im guessing he's rolling with Hulk/2*Wolvie/OBW but yeah **** O.o
    -edit-
    nevermind i see the 4 cover blue lvl 38 spidey now but still wow.
  • sms4002 wrote:
    Looking at that doombot guys roster, how the hell is he competing with/ beating you guys at the top?? Boosting every match? What's his team?

After dealing with 230 teams all day, a 141 team isn't that bad. Plus, everyone competing for that top spot is boosting every match for sure, regardless of their roster. It's all about determination, speed, vigilance, and timing.

..and shields.. lots and lots of shields.
  • Nemek wrote:
    RangoFett wrote:

Ah, that's an interesting dynamic of the 4 of you running away with it. If the top 3 collude and NEVER unshield, you can't possibly make it up there. Even beating the 5th place guy (Bonfire) will probably only give you a point. Ouch.

Josemartins and Doombot have gone eerily quiet today. Maybe everyone exhausted their queued matches above 1 pt.? I know I did - used my last one this morning to leapfrog to 1st. I have zero incentive to unshield right now, and if they're in the same boat it might end up riding out just like this. That would suck for Rango.

Something wacky went on server-side for sure. Stopped showing leaderboards, and then all of the events were wiped from my page. When I went to reload the app, it stuck on loading and then told me to check my internet connection - TWO MINUTES BEFORE MY SHIELD EXPIRED. My wifi was fine and my LTE was good too, so it was on D3's end. By the time I got back in I was sitting unshielded, but luckily no attacks. Nearly had a freaking aneurysm.

The Elite tourneys are like tequila - you remember having some good times, but then you wake up with your insides wrecked vowing never to do it again.
  • Jachdo wrote:
    sms4002 wrote:

After dealing with 230 teams all day, a 141 team isn't that bad. Plus, everyone competing for that top spot is boosting every match for sure, regardless of their roster. It's all about determination, speed, vigilance, and timing.

..and shields.. lots and lots of shields.

Totally not trying to be an intrusive **** or anything but those HP costs have got to be adding up, I'm trying to understand that value of anything outside of the top 3 other then maybe bragging rights.
    I'm completely baffled to see so much shielding going on overall with these rewards structured as such.