Mr. Fantastic vs. Doom: FIGH---oh, he died.

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2015
    I can't keep him from purple. even if I do good at denying what's available on the board, inevitably something drops from the top in a matchable position. his blue/black can be withstood but keeping him from 10 purple is pretty hard. maybe i'll get a better board eventually. from what others have said, there is a sliver of hope for my 2/3/5.

edit: bah!! had him at 1700 and he finally got enough blue which led to a shift in the board that opened up purple...again.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:
    Several in my bracket alone, and several of those with undercovered Mr. F's.
    So what? There are some people who've sunk a basket from midcourt at halftime. That's pretty much what this node amounts to.

Until you have a 4* roster and understand what these battles should feel like, you're not qualified to pontificate.
  • simonsez
    [Who else should be realistically expecting to routinely win solo fights with 4* characters ... other than players with deep benches of well-covered and leveled 4*s?
    Agreed. But they shouldn't be offering up battles that are this difficult for well-covered 4*s.

Seriously, it's not **** rocket science. They need to tune these battles so that a 12-13 cover character will win unless there's a run of bad luck; a 10 cover character can win maybe half the time; an 8 cover character can win with good play and good luck; and a 6 cover character can win with extreme good luck. This battle puts everyone into the latter category.
  • mgallop
    mgallop Posts: 120
    I beat this with my 166 5-3-3 MrF. Was super hard, got lucky w/ all damage boosts. The real issue with MrF is that if the opponent has a good damage power, you're doomed, if not its trivial. This wasn't a great fight, but a number of the 4 fights have been strategically interesting, especially if you have a well covered character - KP/Luke, IW/QS, JG/MS, and CM/CF all had some really interesting strategy with when to use powers and what to go for. This one you just needed an early black and to pray.
  • florida92 wrote:
    Here's the issue. It was originally intended to help in the four star transition.
    Please stop saying this, it is completely inaccurate. The VERY FIRST XFW v. Cyclops battle made it clear that it's meant for people that have 4*s to earn more 4*s (as well as the new 5*s if they get lucky).

Let's see you picked one part of the entire comment to say that. Therefore, you completely missed the point.

I DO NOT believe a 1/0/0 or 0/0/1 or 1/0/1 should have an easy time, HOWEVER when a 1/2/5 172 Carnage or a 4/3/2 188 Kingpin BARELY wins, or a 2/3/2 147 Falcap HAS NO HOPE and today a 4/3/0 138 Mr.F CAN'T COMPETE, then there's a PROBLEM.

I can't stand the idiotic comments (no one on this thread) of some who honestly think that you should have to have a 200-270 level character to be allowed an opportunity to be a part of the 4* DDQ. It's a joke that a 1 level covered three star and a group of 2* can win in the three star section of DDQ, but a decently leveled and covered 4* should have no hope?!

Get Real.

I own 21 4* characters. Levels are broken down.

2 - 200+
    4 - 150 - 200
    5 - 100 - 150
    10 - 70 - 100

Of those 10 should have 0 chance, 5 should have a ok chance, 4 should have a good chance, and for 2 it should be no problem at all. It's not even close. I still remember IW at level 120 easily winning.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    florida92 wrote:

I can't stand the idiotic comments (no one on this thread) of some who honestly think that you should have to have a 200-270 level character to be allowed an opportunity to be a part of the 4* DDQ. It's a joke that a 1 level covered three star and a group of 2* can win in the three star section of DDQ, but a decently leveled and covered 4* should have no hope?!

They've admitted that they intended the 3* cover to be available to those farther into the 3* transition than those starting out. The consequence was that it set people up with the expectation that the 4* DDQ would be easier.
  • mgallop
    mgallop Posts: 120
    florida92 wrote:
    florida92 wrote:
    Here's the issue. It was originally intended to help in the four star transition.
    Please stop saying this, it is completely inaccurate. The VERY FIRST XFW v. Cyclops battle made it clear that it's meant for people that have 4*s to earn more 4*s (as well as the new 5*s if they get lucky).

Let's see you picked one part of the entire comment to say that. Therefore, you completely missed the point.

I DO NOT believe a 1/0/0 or 0/0/1 or 1/0/1 should have an easy time, HOWEVER when a 1/2/5 172 Carnage or a 4/3/2 188 Kingpin BARELY wins, or a 2/3/2 147 Falcap HAS NO HOPE and today a 4/3/0 138 Mr.F CAN'T COMPETE, then there's a PROBLEM.

Get Real.

I own 21 4* characters. Levels are broken down.

2 - 200+
    4 - 150 - 200
    5 - 100 - 150
    10 - 70 - 100

Of those 10 should have 0 chance, 5 should have a ok chance, 4 should have a good chance, and for 2 it should be no problem at all. It's not even close. I still remember IW at level 120 easily winning.

The nature of a 1 on 1 battle means you really need certain covers to have a chance. In particular, most 4s have 1 good offensive ability. There's basically no way to make a fight that is doable a 1-2 red cover carnage/cap falc/cyclops/HukBuster that is at all challenging for more developed characters. I had an 8 cover XFW that had no chance because he only had 1 black cover, and simply wasn't doing enough damage. Just looking at covers and levels are wrong, its a question of how usable these characters are. A 1-2-5 carnage is a paperweight, so would be a 1-5-1 JG, or an 0-5-5 HB.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    One of ours with 3/5/4 is having a very hard time on it.

I fail my 2/3/1 as many times as I can just to give D3 the data that it wasn't passable.

Five people in my bracket have beaten it so far.

Again...why are these 1 on 1's against 270s instead of 166s? Or have an "entry" essential to the 4* node like you have for the 3* node?
  • My bracket had 7 people so far complete it

1. 250 5/3/5
    2. 209 5/3/2
    3. 201 5/3/5
    4. 170 3/4/5
    5. 178 5/2/5
    6. 180 5/2/2
    7. 161 4/4/0 (I really wanna know how he did it)

My Mr. F doesn't stand a chance so I'm not even going to bother with it
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:
    So what? There are some people who've sunk a basket from midcourt at halftime. That's pretty much what this node amounts to.

Until you have a 4* roster and understand what these battles should feel like, you're not qualified to pontificate.

This whole game revolves around luck and RNG! Your analogy is perfect--it's like a half-court basketball shot. A little bit of skill and a whole lot of luck. You haven't received the luck yet required to pass the node and others have.

And don't pretend to know what my roster looks like. Just because I've only recently jumped on the forum doesn't mean I'm new to the game--and it IS just that... a game. Which is why I don't take any of this so seriously.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Look, everybody, it's the Bad Design Showcase Node!

Congratulations to those skilled enough to not allow purple to drop in from the top. The rest of us will just have to swipe harder.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    florida92 wrote:

Why should anyone stop saying that when they are basically quoting what the devs were saying right up until they launched this feature.

If they had presented it properly then people would not be moaning about it and would be lamenting the absence of an actual 4* transition DPD instead.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:

This whole game revolves around luck and RNG! Your analogy is perfect--it's like a half-court basketball shot. A little bit of skill and a whole lot of luck. You haven't received the luck yet required to pass the node and others have.

And don't pretend to know what my roster looks like. Just because I've only recently jumped on the forum doesn't mean I'm new to the game--and it IS just that... a game. Which is why I don't take any of this so seriously.

At first you say we're not supposed to have it easy, then you acknowledge we need plenty of luck. So, effectively, you're implying luck = skill.

Okay.
  • Sm0keyJ0e wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:

At first you say we're not supposed to have it easy, then you acknowledge we need plenty of luck. So, effectively, you're implying luck = skill.

Okay.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

The preparation in this case is skill and strategy. Many players will be given a board with the ability to beat this node - they are given the opportunity. But not all of them will have the required skill to tackle it.
  • simonsez
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:
    And don't pretend to know what my roster looks like.
    The fact that you can't tell that this battle is a **** travesty tells me everything I need to know about your roster.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

The preparation in this case is skill and strategy. Many players will be given a board with the ability to beat this node - they are given the opportunity. But not all of them will have the required skill to tackle it.

I agree with what you said about preparation and opportunity. BUT...that applies only to the player's part. You can't legislate for preparation or opportunity when the opponent makes a move on the board, because you can't control if one opposing match-3 will cascade into a match-4 into a match-5 that gives your opponent enough AP - AP you so painstakingly denied - to finish you off, for instance.
  • simonsez
    Come on, this isn't chess. There really isn't any skill required at all in this one, assuming you can see the board. You match purple. If no purples, match something else that looks like it offers no chance of leaving a purple match opportunity. Repeat for 150 moves, and hope that somehow during all that time purples never drop from the top, and you don't give up 4 black matches either. Piece of cake. Assuming that cake is a **** pie.
  • My bracket is showing the top 10 with 0 Mr.F on their rosters. Maybe I'm in a noob bracket.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think people are missing that the bigger deal isn't that they set up a very hard challenge, it's that Mr Fantastic isn't very good.

The standard they've set is a 1 on 1 battle against a level 270 opponent. How many opponents would have made this "fair"? This would have been hard against Squirrel Girl, Beast, and IM40.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Updated the title.