Stop giving 20 ISO rewards first, discussion and musings

Comments

• Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    This is particularly frustrating when your alliance mate gets both CP's on his first try, and you've ground those nodes to 1 point and have STILL not received the CP's for either. Random makes sense in some cases but I cannot see a compelling reason not to give out the 4 awards first. If you're grinding for points, great, that's your reward. But if you're playing for the rewards themselves, you shouldn't have to waste time, health packs, etc. Nothing more disheartening than seeing your team squeak out a victory with little health left, and then get 20 ISO.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't look now, but one of my alliance mates reported getting a CoP after a PvP match. That's right; a regular PvP match. Not a cover, not Iso, a frickin' Command Point! Was it a glitch? Was it a sign of things to come? Is my alliance mate hallucinating because I spiked his bourbon with LSD again? Only time will tell!
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Non-essential CP node:

"hey look we found you some crit boosts!"

Reward: "moar crit boosts!"

essential CP node: "would you believe...crit boosts?"

me: "/quit"
  • DFiPL
    yeah I know crit boosts ain't the same thing as 20 ISO when there are rewards left (which is more infuriating) but at this point it feels like I'm being trolled.
  • DFiPL
    3x191: ha ha ha **** you we're spamming threaten so a cascade wipes out your team
    3x191, round 2: threatencascadeapalooza II: electric boogaloo
    3x191, round 3: 20 ISO
    3x191, round 4: 20 ISO
    3x191, round 5: haven't you gotten the point yet? You're supposed to lose, stupid human player.
    3x191, round 6: 20 ISO
    /quit

This is getting dangerously close to being my default reaction to 20 ISO.

If you're actually reading this, devs, this is what you should be taking away: repeated "gifts" of 20 ISO, particularly combined with the hardest node in the sub, will tank engagement for even the most dedicated player, over time.

I enjoy the game; I've never particularly enjoyed grinding. I enjoy it less still when I'm getting my face smashed in repeatedly, or earning Pyhrric victories that deplete my health in return for 20 ISO. And, frankly, I'm reaching the point of "can't be **** bothered." Maybe you want Command Points to be the rarest reward, and I get that. But that is not mutually incom-****-patible with "respecting your end users enough not to throw 20 ISO at them in three or four consecutive successful completion attempts while three rewards are still on the board."

It'd be one thing if we were talking about the prologue, maybe, because that's ALWAYS there. If the new story events were permanent additions, new chapters to which I could return anytime, I might still be annoyed, but I wouldn't feel like I was permanently losing out on a desirable reward because of **** luck (which, news flash, is exactly what's happening here). Oh well, there's always tomorrow, and so forth.

Not true when when you have 24 hours to get whatever you can and oh by the way you still have to fit eating, sleeping, working, and any semblance of a social life in there, also.

For the love of all that's holy, fix the **** odds. I defy you to give me one defensible (defined as: acceptably logical to the end user, not the bean counters) reason why after one completion of a node my odds of getting 20 ISO should be 50%.
  • DFiPL
    Cascade, cheap headbutt for boosted Juggs. Rinse, lather, repeat. Everybody dies.

Try again. Lucky board, escape with a win. 20 ISO.

Try again. Cascade, cheap headbutt for boosted Juggs. Rinse, lather, repeat. Everybody dies.

Try again. Cascade, cheap headbutt for boosted Juggs. Rinse, lather, repeat. Everybody dies.

Try again. Lucky board, escape with a win. 20 ISO.

/quit

Oh look we're down from quitting after getting the 20 ISO reward 3x to after just the second one.

Pretty soon it'll be after the first occurrence. I do not. Repeat. Do. Not. Enjoy getting my face smashed in by the same boosted Dark Avengers over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and yes I typed every word of that out and over and over and over and over and...

and then to get "rewarded" with 20 ISO? That is **** pitiful. I have a couple 4* covers in my queue I'd planned on buying HP to roster in the next week or so here. Every time this happens, my desire to do that drops a little further. If I'm disengaging from the game because the mechanics are pissing me off, why in the name of unholy **** would I ever consider spending additional money on it? Come on, devs. Fix this **** already.
  • In the current Hunt PVE, on the last node, "The Meeting", the usual last Hard mission "Business Partners" does not have the Command Point assigned to it, but the one time, non-repeatable harder node "The Who" does, at a 1/1 rate.

I would be ok with this being the norm from now on, in every PVE node with such a mission, at least.
  • Dwarfsteel
    Dwarfsteel Posts: 55 Match Maker
    colwag wrote:
    In the current Hunt PVE, on the last node, "The Meeting", the usual last Hard mission "Business Partners" does not have the Command Point assigned to it, but the one time, non-repeatable harder node "The Who" does, at a 1/1 rate.

I would be ok with this being the norm from now on, in every PVE node with such a mission, at least.

And see I found "Business Partners" to be far harder. I was actually able to win "The Who". The over scaled Magneto and Hood shredded my team even with R/Y, G/B, boosted by 40% and match damage boosted by 60%. I shouldn't need to max out my boosts for a slim chance at winning a single node. A PVE match shouldn't be able to end on 3-4 powers firing by the AI. 4-6K damage per power is ridiculous and one shotting one of my highest boosted level guys is too much. I don't mind losing if it's reasonably close, but you can't deny 4 colours when any one of them fired 3-4 times wipes my team... then factor in the AI's miraculous ability to cascade AP for a couple powers before I can save half the AP for one power that can maybe take 20-30% of Hoods HPs never mind Magneto's...
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I've failed that fight numerous times now. They are both at 320 against my 200's. They wipe me before I even get off a power. All it reminds me of is the Galactus "you're not mean't to win" event. Ridiculous fight.
  • AionTeleos
    AionTeleos Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Yeah, the combination of a CP being available as a prize and the 20 iso issue just makes it a little too clear to me that I'm behaving like a rat repeatedly hitting a bar in hopes of getting a food pellet. It's really taken the wind out of my sails, and I'm playing way less than I have in a long time (I'm at 607 days, I think, and have never missed a daily resupply).
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's crystal clear by now that they have no intention of ever fixing this. In their minds, it's working by design. They just won't come right out and say it, that's the annoying thing. They dissemble about it, like, "Oh, well, we'd kinda like to maybe look at it someday, but, you know, more important things to do...." Then, well... look at the batch of changes in the last patch. That's the kind of stuff they consider "more important" than doing anything about this.

Play the game accordingly.
  • statnut
    statnut Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    I've done the Star-Lord node 4 times now (in the Venom: Heroic event) and have gotten the critical boost and 20 iso three times. Seems reasonable. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • So, no mention at all about Final, 1 time only mission nodes carrying the CP at 100% drop rate?

No mention of that at all?

(They should probably add one unrepeatable node like this for every mission set that lacks them, though.)
  • statnut
    statnut Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Make it five straight times of 20 iOS. Sigh.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Dwarfsteel wrote:
    And see I found "Business Partners" to be far harder. I was actually able to win "The Who". The over scaled Magneto and Hood shredded my team even with R/Y, G/B, boosted by 40% and match damage boosted by 60%. I shouldn't need to max out my boosts for a slim chance at winning a single node. A PVE match shouldn't be able to end on 3-4 powers firing by the AI. 4-6K damage per power is ridiculous and one shotting one of my highest boosted level guys is too much. I don't mind losing if it's reasonably close, but you can't deny 4 colours when any one of them fired 3-4 times wipes my team... then factor in the AI's miraculous ability to cascade AP for a couple powers before I can save half the AP for one power that can maybe take 20-30% of Hoods HPs never mind Magneto's...

"Business Partners" is doable if you stick to a standard Hood strategy: hit him hard and fast, use characters with cheap powers. My winning team for this node was Blade/Daken/Daredevil - as long as the board's got enough red (for Blade's strike tiles) or green (for Daken's), you have a neverending fuel source for Chemical Reaction. Use a little blue for DD's Billy Club stun, and keep the tile safe so it keeps stunning, then take out Hood as fast as possible by hitting him with repeated Chemical Reactions. Blade's purple helps to pile the damage on, and his black helps counteract the Hood's AP steal.

If you don't have or don't like Daredevil, Spider-Man will do too (especially as he was boosted), but you lose the benefit of Billy Club's recurring stun and have to spend blue AP on All Tied Up instead, when really you want to be saving it for Chemical Reaction. His protect tiles won't help against Magneto's overpowered abilities anyway, and DD gives you an outlet for any random red AP you might get.
  • Gmax101
    Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    So did my second clear on the sub.....

9 fights....
    2x70iso
    1x140iso
    1x standard token
    5x20iso.....

So technically on the money stats wise... But given that all 3 essentials and the top 2 nodes gave me 20... Little bit frustrating...

Got more from hitting a progression reward than all the fights put together lol
  • Cypr3ss
    Cypr3ss Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    Another PVE Event, another mountain of frustration at the 1 CP sitting there all shiny and drawing 20 iso icon_mad.gif

Regards,
    Cypr3ss.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Cypr3ss wrote:
    Another PVE Event, another mountain of frustration at the 1 CP sitting there all shiny and drawing 20 iso icon_mad.gif

Regards,
    Cypr3ss.

Heroic events just make it worse because you can't even throw your entire roster at it. Heroics aren't as bad in season because at least you have the choice of doing Shield Sim or something with the rest of your roster. Doing them in the off-season totally sucks.
  • DalekGAF
    DalekGAF Posts: 52 Match Maker
    Cypr3ss wrote:

Regards,
    Cypr3ss.

I just beat "Rescue Aunt May" literally around 20 times before the event ended-and I never got the CP. Infuriating.
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    It's crystal clear by now that they have no intention of ever fixing this. In their minds, it's working by design. They just won't come right out and say it, that's the annoying thing. They dissemble about it, like, "Oh, well, we'd kinda like to maybe look at it someday, but, you know, more important things to do...." Then, well... look at the batch of changes in the last patch. That's the kind of stuff they consider "more important" than doing anything about this.

Play the game accordingly.

Its very likely that they do so much work on cost economies, averages, and accrual metrics for iso and gold, cp, token relations etc..

That changing the baseline ISO in any way creates a whole lot more work for people that makes it easy to "put it off till later till we have the time to deal with it all".