Double Shot 2/9/14

Options

Comments

• Don't nerf my desert board! GSBW needs to eat!
  • Wolfman wrote:
    I have a question about tanking my MMR.

Can I just go into a fight with any 2 characters (and guest IM) and retreat? Or do I have to actually die? Do losses on offense even matter, or is it about being beaten on defense?

Lastly, how many losses are we talking about, before I see a positive effect?

You can't lose, you have to win. Hence why tanking is a bit harder now.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Losing still counts towards your MMR, it's just not really the most effective way of doing it.
    It's a lot more effective to put out a **** team for people to smash up. Means you don't have to do any work.
  • Twysta wrote:
    Losing still counts towards your MMR, it's just not really the most effective way of doing it.
    It's a lot more effective to put out a **** team for people to smash up. Means you don't have to do any work.

Pretty hard to tank though when you are facing level 120-141 level ironmans. Can't really win with a tank team icon_cry.gif maybe before I get any points in this tourny I will run through my entire roster and lose.
  • Exactly. Any team without my high level Patch has absolutely no chance of winning a match.
  • sms4002 wrote:
    Twysta wrote:

Pretty hard to tank though when you are facing level 120-141 level ironmans. Can't really win with a tank team icon_cry.gif maybe before I get any points in this tourny I will run through my entire roster and lose.

What level is your IM? See my post - put in a 141 IM40, 60 Hood, 6 Bagman. Got hit a ruck of times.

Find the best (i.e. easiest) match in your MMR list, boost if you have to. Worth it, if you don't want to grind through lots of high level IMs and other 3*s.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    sms4002 wrote:
    Twysta wrote:

What level is your IM? See my post - put in a 141 IM40, 60 Hood, 6 Bagman. Got hit a ruck of times.

Find the best (i.e. easiest) match in your MMR list, boost if you have to. Worth it, if you don't want to grind through lots of high level IMs and other 3*s.

Mines 141 too ;P hmm, I was planning on waiting till the LR's to tank but I guess every hit counts huh? I have been stuck in MMR hell for a while now.
  • sms4002 wrote:
    The Ladder wrote:

Mines 141 too ;P hmm, I was planning on waiting till the LR's to tank but I guess every hit counts huh? I have been stuck in MMR hell for a while now.

I got hit for -168 in an hour and a half. Played a few games on the train home and didn't see any 141 IM's and mainly 2* opposition lol.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For tanking standard tournaments, the easiest way to do it is to join as soon as the tournament starts. You'll automatically get paired with 3 seed teams that are juicy targets to save for tanking.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    sms4002 wrote:
    The Ladder wrote:

I got hit for -168 in an hour and a half. Played a few games on the train home and didn't see any 141 IM's and mainly 2* opposition lol.

I haven't joined yet, Think I should get some points first then tank?
  • sms4002 wrote:
    The Ladder wrote:
    sms4002 wrote:
    The Ladder wrote:

I haven't joined yet, Think I should get some points first then tank?

If you're running a higher level tank team, it's probably a good idea to get some points first, to make yourself a better proposition to opponents. However, just the pure sight of Bagman in a lineup probably makes it an automatic hit for some lol.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    I got to 300 last night to get the token, that's all I have planned for this event. Now I'm trying to win a match with a level 6 Thor and Daken, and a level 65 Iron Man.
  • Got over 200 and played my saved seed team so bagman is out. Have fun all. End time is terrible for me so I doubt I could even secure top 5 so I may have to write this one off.
  • Wow, just caused some serious damage with an IM40/OBW/DrDoom combo

The recharge and AP steal gives you all the blue you need and you immediately have a defensive or offensive option.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    Lyrian wrote:
    Kelbris wrote:
    WHERE IS MY **** DESERT

Ron-Swanson-Chair-Throw.gif

After the last tourney, I bet the Desert stage isn't going to show up again without Oasis receiving "funbalancing"...

NO

Chair_Throw.gif

It encourages use of a 1500 HP char who can die in 5 seconds on a defense.
  • i usually join a tournament straight away, go through my entire roster while retreating every game till all my players are dead and it works fine for me. i started playing properly 2 hours ago after starting in 485th and now im top 15, havent come across any tough opponents yet. in saying that, the top 5 all have level 141's so there goes my 3 dd covers lol
  • I fought so many Modern Storms. So many.

But that's a good thing I would think? I didn't see any at all aside from mine, but my MMR is such that most people I was facing had 100+ 3* characters paired up with their DareDevil. I'd have loved to see a Modern Storm because let's face it, she's squishy as all heck and pretty easy to beat in AI hands. The AI can't intelligently chain a Hood/OBW steal + M. Storms red + environment ability to make Lightning Storm a once-a-turn power.
  • So how exactly do you "set up" a team for defence?
    Is it the last team you used in a battle? or is it the last team you used in a battle and won? Or is it your highest lvl chars?
  • reingp wrote:
    So how exactly do you "set up" a team for defence?
    Is it the last team you used in a battle? or is it the last team you used in a battle and won? Or is it your highest lvl chars?

So far it seems to be the last team you WON with.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    Lyrian wrote:
    After the last tourney, I bet the Desert stage isn't going to show up again without Oasis receiving "funbalancing"...

Yep, was broken like hell really.

I don't know if it was *that* broken. It did give me pre-nerf-Ragnarok flashbacks in terms of fun green generation but it's not like Oasis only cost 2 red AP. I was firing it off fairly frequently but then I was using Modern Storm for a lot of the tournament to harvest the environmental tiles. People not playing Modern Storm probably had to actually use moves to match environmental tiles to really abuse the effects. Those are turns they didn't use gathering useful AP or match-damaging their opponents. Given the opportunity cost of gathering desert AP, I don't' think the effect were really that overpowered.

The AI kept getting insane amount of them and producing green like crazy. I was wiped out several times by thor or gsbw despite stealing like crazy with obw. Realized somewhat too late that it generates so much, then avoided that arena. (Would use it to my advantage without that ballast of DD).

I don't really see why it works for 25 rather than the regular 40 or 50. Probably setting it at 40 is all the balance it needs.