Double Shot 2/9/14

Options

Comments

• My IM40 should mop up - he's 1/1/0 and a mighty 18th level, so all should fear him...

I guess this is a good tourney to try and lower my mmr on. Get the token, earn some iso for Doom, and look forward to the LRs tomorrow.
  • Unity wrote:
    We asked them to slow down on pvp and then they give us another one? I want a pve!

I think they said they want to see how the elite competition plays out with no PvE distraction, so you probably won't see any PvE until that has ended (maybe not till Friday, but LR will keep us busy till then).
  • Another "don't care" level pvp for ISO harvesting...
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd quite like the DD covers.
    I know people think he's a bit useless, but I think he has potential.
    I'd throw him on the same boat as Modern Hawkeye.
  • jozier wrote:
    Patch is a bit weird in this one to be honest. He's still great don't get me wrong. But his red ability is useless for the most part.

Occasionally I see good posts. Then I see posts like this and feel irritated. It's not like IM40 self-stuns or anything so Patch can use the freshly-baked 9 red AP towards his own red skill for an instant nuke.
  • Twysta wrote:
    I'd quite like the DD covers.
    I know people think he's a bit useless, but I think he has potential.
    I'd throw him on the same boat as Modern Hawkeye.

I think that's the perfect analogy for him.

The bigger problem is that to make DD useful, you need to put about 100+ levels on him.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not too impressed with the tournament or prizes. Making the best of a bad situation I decide to tank.

Got to around 150 points. One of my original challenge options, a 40 cap 40 iron man 40modern widow was stil on the table. Switched in 40 iron man 30 modern storm 6 bagman.

With storm doing board control and iron man tanking I got to fire his blue and after that was mop up. But the best bit was bag man was on environment tiles. I managed to suicide him on thorns. Made victory all the sweeter.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Im tanking again - the Ladder ur in my mmr
  • I got up to 300 and grabbed my token. Another CapAm... Yay...
    Will tank the rest of the round.
  • turul wrote:
    Im tanking again - the Ladder ur in my mmr

Lol, didn't see your team. But did start to see 141's myself and figured it might be time to give Bagman a run out. Pretty hard to get a tank team in against that level of opposition though, might have to wait for the Lightning Rounds to start to get a 'better' team out there...
  • klingsor wrote:
    I like Patch at 100, I don't want to bring him higher, but maybe I should. What do you pro's since the ideal pairing with IM40 is?
    He's not a bad candidate for increasing, since scaling and regen are firm friends. I think Celerity established 115 is where secondary and tertiary overtake 2* primary and secondary colors, which is worth bearing in mind if you want mixed rarity teams sharing colors. More likely you'd care if you're trying to use Ares with Punisher and have him keep green/red, though.

Patch & IM40 works decently, as noted, because of the self-stun on Recharge. If you don't use Spider-Man - unthinkable, I know - there's even a moderate chance the AI will pull that off, since it'll likely be the only yellow you have and it's fairly cheap unless you're crazy. BTI doesn't eclipse Unibeam entirely to the point of absurdity with Tony buffed, but it's still better if you want it to be.

I remember from the last time this ran we Johnny-come-latelys need to bear in mind it rained and buffed IM40 before our time like it did Punisher and Patch recently. A lot of day-1ers have a very high level battery or can make one in short order, so at high MMR this'll be rough going without your own.
    Ghast wrote:
    "Oh no, computer Spidey! You put TWO web tiles on the board? Now I have no choice but to stun all of you for three, four, and five turns as I slowly clear the board, kill you and heal. Not Spider-Man! Anything but!"
    Spare a thought for people who don't have Spidey, eh? Although they're probably using OBW, making blue denial easier, or some Magsy or Stormy control set-up, or just 3xoffense, so he'll be dead before the AI achieves anything at max one ATU per turn. He's more irritating than dangerous on defense, period, and that's as much about ubiquity as anything he does. We could really use more worthwhile supports, although I get the impression that's what Bag Lady's supposed to be now, for the seventeen people who can realistically use her.
  • OK, won a battle with 141 IM40, 60 Hood and 6 Bagman, about an hour and a half ago, logged off.

Just logged on to a -168 message. Beautiful. icon_twisted.gif
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    WHERE IS MY **** DESERT

Ron-Swanson-Chair-Throw.gif
  • Got the Token. Sold the Purple Mawkeye cover it gave me. Swapped in a 15/1/1 Iron Man, Yelena, Venom team.

Here is, I suppose, where I ask the strategy behind tanking. Is this to lower my MMR in future tournaments, or is it to drive me down so low in this one that I have a lot of easy matches if/when I swap in a ringer team towards the end?
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Faded - Both.
  • Kelbris wrote:
    WHERE IS MY **** DESERT

Ron-Swanson-Chair-Throw.gif

After the last tourney, I bet the Desert stage isn't going to show up again without Oasis receiving "funbalancing"...
  • Lyrian wrote:
    After the last tourney, I bet the Desert stage isn't going to show up again without Oasis receiving "funbalancing"...

Yep, was broken like hell really.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    Lyrian wrote:

I don't know if it was *that* broken. It did give me pre-nerf-Ragnarok flashbacks in terms of fun green generation but it's not like Oasis only cost 2 red AP. I was firing it off fairly frequently but then I was using Modern Storm for a lot of the tournament to harvest the environmental tiles. People not playing Modern Storm probably had to actually use moves to match environmental tiles to really abuse the effects. Those are turns they didn't use gathering useful AP or match-damaging their opponents. Given the opportunity cost of gathering desert AP, I don't' think the effect were really that overpowered.
  • Gigas Breaker
    Gigas Breaker Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:
    Lyrian wrote:

I don't know if it was *that* broken. It did give me pre-nerf-Ragnarok flashbacks in terms of fun green generation but it's not like Oasis only cost 2 red AP. I was firing it off fairly frequently but then I was using Modern Storm for a lot of the tournament to harvest the environmental tiles. People not playing Modern Storm probably had to actually use moves to match environmental tiles to really abuse the effects. Those are turns they didn't use gathering useful AP or match-damaging their opponents. Given the opportunity cost of gathering desert AP, I don't' think the effect were really that overpowered.
    I fought so many Modern Storms. So many.
  • I have a question about tanking my MMR.

Can I just go into a fight with any 2 characters (and guest IM) and retreat? Or do I have to actually die? Do losses on offense even matter, or is it about being beaten on defense?

Lastly, how many losses are we talking about, before I see a positive effect?