Double Shot 2/9/14

Options

Comments

• jozier wrote:
    klingsor wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    Perfect! IW green is the only one I still need, and 3 DD covers to go with it? Time to wheel out 141 IM40 and see if I can't outpace all the 2* MMR ninjas for a change.

Hope I don't end up in your bracket. Already know I'm in your MMR.

Only got a 121 IM40 over here.

Poor you! I have a level 93 one, but he is spirited. I want a top 10 spot, and since I didn't do the Elite tourney and finished 4th in daredevil, I'm going to play extra on this one. So the question is, do I bring other guys higher, or just try to push the generally useless Ironman as far as he can go? I like Patch at 100, I don't want to bring him higher, but maybe I should. What do you pro's since the ideal pairing with IM40 is?

Patch is a bit weird in this one to be honest. He's still great don't get me wrong. But his red ability is useless for the most part.

I only had his red at 3, so I would only go with IM40's red, patch's green, and either Spidey or Hulk. Honestly I don't know who dissuades people more, a lvl 100 Hulk or a Lvl 100 Spidey.
  • Wolfman wrote:
    I hate this tourny already, before even entering. IM is the only 3* I don't have a single cover for, and my MMR is full of people with 100+ IM.

Time to buy some cover packs or sit it out! icon_e_smile.gif
  • klingsor wrote:

Poor you! I have a level 93 one, but he is spirited. I want a top 10 spot, and since I didn't do the Elite tourney and finished 4th in daredevil, I'm going to play extra on this one. So the question is, do I bring other guys higher, or just try to push the generally useless Ironman as far as he can go? I like Patch at 100, I don't want to bring him higher, but maybe I should. What do you pro's since the ideal pairing with IM40 is?

Dunno about ideal pairing, but I'm going to go with Patch and Spidey. IM40 will give blue to Spidey and green to Patch. Might sub in Hulk for Spidey on defense from time to time, but buffed IM40 will have plenty of health on his own. Patch's red will get tanked by IM40, but a buffed Unibeam is a fine substitute.

Yeah I agree, I'm gonna do Patch and Spidey with Hulk as the backup. I have seen and killed enough spideys to last me a life time. His ability to add defense tiles and stun my own spidey is the worst enemy of the fast kill approach. The beauty of this Tanky IM40 is he can still survive even if you miscalculate patch's green and he gets hit a few times.
  • klingsor wrote:
    I have seen and killed enough spideys to last me a life time. His ability to add defense tiles and stun my own spidey is the worst enemy of the fast kill approach.

Spider-Man is not part of a team that can participate in the "fast kill approach," full stop. He's part of the Leisurely Kill Approach.

Seeing an opponent with Spidey makes you light up with delight because you know that the enemy will waste AP adding web tiles to the board so that you have to use fewer blue AP to stun your opponents longer.

"Oh no, computer Spidey! You put TWO web tiles on the board? Now I have no choice but to stun all of you for three, four, and five turns as I slowly clear the board, kill you and heal. Not Spider-Man! Anything but!"
  • Spidey tags along to use up blue and yellow AP at the end of the fight. Sometimes he gets useful in a pinch.
  • jozier wrote:
    klingsor wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    Perfect! IW green is the only one I still need, and 3 DD covers to go with it? Time to wheel out 141 IM40 and see if I can't outpace all the 2* MMR ninjas for a change.

Hope I don't end up in your bracket. Already know I'm in your MMR.

Only got a 121 IM40 over here.

Patch is a bit weird in this one to be honest. He's still great don't get me wrong. But his red ability is useless for the most part.

Yeah but if iron man uses the recharge and stuns so that patch gets enough red, he should own most of the board depending on who else is in there. Good for you, But I doubt the AI would be smart enough to plan that.
  • Unknown
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Just playing around ...
    IM40/Magneto NOW/Spidey

Collect 9 purple (while putting up Spideys shields)
    Lay down Magneto's purple (to create 5 blue, make two crits with it and collect 10 blue)

Collect 8 yellow. Hit IM40's recharge. Get 9 more blue in 2 turns.

Use IM40's Blue power and clear the board.

So, in 8-10 matches/turns you could win. Obviously, a blue/purple boost would make it even more trivial.
  • Jeez. seems like all the lvl 140 IM40's just crawled out from underneath the rocks. Now I am just attacking anyone with an IM40 under lvl 50. Anyone on my leaderboard in this thread?
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sms4002 wrote:
    Yeah but if iron man uses the recharge and stuns so that patch gets enough red, he should own most of the board depending on who else is in there. Good for you, But I doubt the AI would be smart enough to plan that.

Yeah. This is a good strategy for offense, but I imagine very unlikely on defense.

I was mostly using Hulk as the 3rd during the Wolvie tournament, as he covered black and environment. I would think in theory that it would make a good defensive team, as it essentially presents a wall of HP, but my IM40 and Hulk are still too low level to be a significant threat (soft capped in mid 60's).
  • jozier wrote:
    Finally. Daredevil covers. A tourney worth competing in for me!

I know right? I just wish it were a red or yellow xforce as the the top reward.
  • It's pretty easy to get Patch to own all the tiles when facing Spiderman since Iron Man stuns himself.

It's also pretty scary when IM40 takes a The Best There Is with the full board belonging to Patch but still didn't die.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Does anyone know what's in the Iron Clad/Double Shot pack of 5 besides guaranteed IM40?
  • over_clocked
    Options
    I'll see what the prog rewards are, if indeed Daken and Cap, I could push half-heartedly for Cap. The competition for DD would probably be way too fierce, so I might fall out of competition on my own. I only ask not to hit on me too much in the standard EST nighttime when I will be pushing for prog rewards. Any other time have your way.

later edit: yup will probably push for a red Cap cover. Let me accumulate points for everyone else, then hit! I'm too poor and Irish for shields, I swear icon_e_biggrin.gif
    thumb.png
  • Got my reward token for hitting 300 points.

Cue bagman.

icon_e_sad.gif
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Boring tournament. However rewards are ok.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Just realized I, too, am probably in the way of other people who try to push for prog rewards at this time... From my 300 token, I got a Magneto**, which is cool, I had to delete him too many times before.
  • turul
    Options
    Based on MPQ dev habits, a PVE is also coming soon, with subs winning Daredevil too, and a new hero as main reward
  • turul wrote:
    Based on MPQ dev habits, a PVE is also coming soon, with subs winning Daredevil too, and a new hero as main reward

My IM40 sucks, so that sounds like a great idea!
  • turul
    Options
    turul wrote:

Oh and i forgot the badly fixed enemy scaling system icon_e_smile.gif
  • Bought the 5-pack since I was hoping to get a yellow IM40. Sadly got a red instead (now I have him at 3/0/0). But at least got a green IW and a purple OBW I was missing. So I think it was a good pull regardless.

Now I'm wondering if I should try another pull tomorrow, since the yellow would help out a lot in this one (since I'm running Patch). Chance would be 33%... but I fear I end up getting another red -.-