Elektra's DDQ opponent: Blade!

Comments

• My Elektra is 188 2 2 5

Went in with extra red and black AP

Beat him on the first try. Got a nice red cascade and used her Red power right away. By the time he had enough AP to use attacks I had my trap tiles out. Fun fight.

Got my 5th Surgical Strike from the legendary token!
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    timbopp wrote:
    I lost the first four or five attempts. I kept trying to deny Blade as much of red/black/purple as evenly I could but just ended up spreading my own ap collection too thin and he'd get off his purple attack which was killer. Finally won by focusing on just purple, let him build up his strike tiles then I Double-Double-Double-Double-Double-Double-Double-Double Crossed him and then just finished him off with a few matches and match damage did the rest.

This. I have lvl 131 4/4/3 wiped hard first 5 times. 6th time I was going w this strategy but was treated to a purple heavy board.

As hard as the first 5 were the 6th was that easy. I cast purple 3 times and black once but black wasn't necessary. Each time I used purple was right after blade created 2 red strike tiles.

So all luck really.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    That was a good challenge! This is one battle that can go either way. Managing the R/B/P on the board is key, of course.

If you start with a good board, make very conservative matches from which you can predict the outcome. 4-matches can be dangerous: you never know what they will provide Blade for his next match.
  • Polares wrote:
    I'm 2/1/3, 131 and beat it without ever firing black. Hang in there!

I really, really enjoyed this battle. I just bumped my Elektra to 131 yesterday for this event - with only 6 covers she isn't very useful in my roster yet, so I'm not familiar with her play style.

I loved the balance between managing red tiles on the board to allow blade to get s trike tile or two that can then be converted, but also keeping red low enough to keep a ballet of death tile on the board without being over-ridden by one of his strike tiles. Oh, and don't ever let him fire black or purple either. A good challenge. Took me 6 tries.

I have tried with a 2/3/3 130 (so quite similar), and Blade destroyed me all the times. I think you finally beat the node because you had a very good board. In all my tries I didnt stand a chance (allways lost with Blade having more than half his life). He just needs match damage and some strike tiles to kill me.

As I said in another thread I doubt anybody without a almost covered Elektra (10+ covers) and 180 level stand a chance. Yes you can get lucky, but this is not how it should be. A 270 level Blade is too much for a 150-13 level Elektra.

I made my own luck. Just because things that are random happen doesn't mean that you are lucky when those random things go in your favor.

The most important thing in this battle was to deny purple. If Blade gets his purple off you lose, so start there. You want to collect black to avoid Blade's black. If you see he has enough black to fire Nightstalker you need to be able to fire your Shadow Step first, then you can deal with his green CD tile later. The AP drain will make the battle a lot tougher if you have been stockpiling purple waiting for strike tiles. Last is red. Red is tricky because the red tiles on the board dictate both your damage and his. You want your Ballet of Death trap tile to stay on the board for as long as possible, and if you can get a strike tile or two behind it you will usually do pretty well, but you don't want him making 2 strike tiles/turn every turn. It's too much to manage with only 2 purple covers. So you spend most of the battle manipulating the red tiles. Once you have enough purple saved up to convert a strike tile you want a board with 10 red tiles, and 2 easy red matches. When Blade's Thirst creates the 2 strike tiles you match one away, and convert the other. Then you use Ballet of Death when the red tiles are isolated and not at risk of being matched away by him. If you can do that a couple times while avoiding his purple you will win.

It's hard, and requires a lot more focus on board manipulation than just maximizing damage from the matches you make, but it's doable. It's a puzzle. There is a random component, but that's part of the puzzle.
  • rdvargas1
    rdvargas1 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Gave up after 7 tries. My lvl 106 2/0/2 covered Electra just can't get it done, 2 purpleflag.png doesn't convert enough strike tiles, and it's too hard trying to deny black and purple, while trying to also match red, with only 5000 health. I'm not wasting any more health packs or boosts. Maybe next time when I have a few more covers and health. Also Devs, go ahead and change that code so either the 4* doesn't have a team up or we get at least one. It can't be that hard.
  • Lightning_Man
    Lightning_Man Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Used my 2/4/3 Level 160 Electra, and beat him on the second try. Boosted +2 y/r, +2 g/b, +2 all ap. Good board helped on the second round, and waiting to fire off her black until right before Blade uses his powers. Got a yellow thing for my trouble...
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Got it on my first try. I was really lucky getting a starting board filled w/ tons of red tiles! I fired off Elektra's red 2x, and simply waited for Blade to die. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I won on my 4th try with a 5/2/5 level 207 Elektra. First 2 times I didn't use boosts and lost to his black. Then I boosted black, purple and match damage. You need to focus on purple and black, like others have said. Red is less important because the trap tiles don't stay out long. One match I managed to get 2 out and he got rid of them with 1 cascade. In my last battle, once he got some strike tiles, fired 2 purple and 1 black and waited him out.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2015
    Oh my goodness i am so happy right now.

Took about 8 tries with my lv 111 3/1/2 Elektra. The first seven times i either couldn't get enough AP for anything, and/or Blade got cascades which led to Nightstalker, or he pumped out strike tiles like there was no tomorrow. The eighth time i managed to get enough AP first for Shadow Step, which shielded Elektra and allowed her to collect enough purple and red to use DDC and BoD twice each. With the double-dipping of 4 strike tiles and BoD, Blade went down very quickly

EDIT: for those wondering, yes i had a fair amount of luck. The opening board allowed me to make two match-5s (in the same move), allowing me to get off BoD immediately and expediting the AP gathering for purple and black

My reward: Old Man Logan blackflag.png
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    I've tried 6 times with my level 111 1/2/2 and failed every time. The boards and cascades have definitely not been going my way which is what I need if I want to get lucky and win. I never came close to getting enough black in any of the matches. He cascaded into all the black matches every time.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mine is 3/3/2, tried it once at around level 115 and then brought her to the level cap of 168. Took three more tries before having a fortunate board and some luck... Blade got one Purple off and matched the attack tiles away immediately.

Saving my now 4 Legendary tokens for the new characters on Thursday.
  • Have a 4/3/2 166 and cant even come close no matter what strategy or boosts I use. I guess I'm just getting **** boards.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    This one is surely more dependent on the state of the opening board than any other so far.

I would rate a 10-cover Elektra v Blade as about the same level of difficulty as a 4-cover 4Pool v Wolvie, and more difficult than a 4-cover Invisible Woman v Quicksilver. So I'm ready to see another round of character re-balancing, of the all-buffs-and-no-nerfs variety.
  • metallion
    metallion Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    3/3/2, level 130 for first 4 attempts, went up to 140 for the next for. tinykitty boards had to be full of reds for blade to spam strike tiles even after i continually match them, and had to be so devoid of black as well, any blacks that drop got matched by ai immediately. finally beat him on the 8th attempt after getting a good board full of blacks and a decent number of reds that doesn't refill itself. Managed to get enough blacks to use shadow step twice in a row, and let him get out 2 strike tiles before using double cross and matching away a set of strikes so he can't get any more out. Used her red skill a few turns later and he's dead, and i was barely hurt. Got an OML for my efforts, which is good since I'm getting SS in 8 days and I will have both 5*s in my roster then.

A good board and plenty of luck really goes a long way in this match, so don't give up
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    With all the extra ISO flowing in during the Anniversary, I dumped some on low level 4*s. Elektra got a larger share because she was the next up for the Legendary node. I had bumped her up to her level max of 172, after which I got another cover, making her 1/4/4. Decided to wait and see if I could beat the node without spending anymore, including boosts.

Won on my 7th attempt. My third attempt was a really crushing loss. I had managed to get Blade down to 1k health thanks to Elektra's red trap tile. After Double Crossing one of Blade's strike tiles, he was down to 452, meaning that he would die before I could make my next match. But then he cast his attack tiles, which knocked me out. icon_e_sad.gif

The next 3 matches were all red heavy boards, so Elektra was getting down like nothing.

The last board was a very friendly board. This time there were almost no reds on the board, and the entire match was full of easy red matches. With two trap tiles on the board, I was easily outpacing Blade. Blade finally managed to trigger Thirst once, which I stole with Elektra's purple, ending the match that much faster. Pulled a blueflag.pngicon_silversurfer.png so he's now 1/0/1.

For this node, I would advise matching Red first, then Purple, then Black. Red is a free skill, but you can control it. Purple is slower, and gets deadlier with any red strike tiles out. Black is draining your purple, but if you are denying purple, then you're starving the board of purple anyway.

And I will second the tip about careful matches, because even if you stabilize the board to avoid Thirst from going off, a cascade will mess that up real quick. That means that Blade most likely got enough for his actives, and there are enough scattered reds to make it hard to get rid of the strike tiles.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Took me 11 tries before I got a lucky board. Won with a level 131, 1/2/3 covered. Won a loverly shade of yellow, mint condition, Thing!
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Beat it first try with my 5/5/3 lvl 150 Elektra. I boosted purple and black and then did 5 color damage boost (always do 5 color dmg boost in these). Yes deny purple and black and collect red. But red is a waste, I would have won 5/5/0 as the 2 times I used red it was overwritten by Blades tiles. Black is key and has all but confirmed to me that 5/5/3 is the best build. I used black, timed purple and let Blade kill himself.
  • Finally got a board where he didn't get a match 4 every single turn and beat him.

All that wasted ISO leveling her to win a redflag.pngicon_carnage.pngicon_rolleyes.gif
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Finally got a board where he didn't get a match 4 every single turn and beat him.

All that wasted ISO leveling her to win a redflag.pngicon_carnage.pngicon_rolleyes.gif

It wasn't a waste of iso, remember that she will cycle back around in a few months and then you can win yourself a nice, shiny, new icon_invisiblewoman.pngyellowflag.pngicon_lol.gif
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Giving up. 1/1/1 isn't fun. This is another one for 4* to 5* transition, not 3* to 4* transition. icon_e_sad.gif