Anniversary Updates

Comments

• Magisse wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Galactus...

...Introducing new and different gameplay always involves balance risks, so your feedback is especially valuable when we introduce something like Galactus, and we’re looking forward to hearing what you think of the changes.
    Ice, wouldn't it be better if you posted some of these changes for "feedback" *before* it runs? So we can help keep it from being something we'll fail to enjoy (and rant to you about) again? Thanks.

Agreed, information about Run 2 would be greatly appreciated. Who are essential/boosted, what ability changes or game dynamics are being tweaked specifically? Run 1 was a bit of train wreck and I am sure lots aren't even gonna give Run 2 a chance after what they experienced. If we have to wait until the event starts and get into Round 4 to really see the changes, it's already too late for those on the fence or for those have already decided to brush it off since you have an alliance lock in place. The earlier we can know the details, the better we can plan/organize for it since it's kind of required the way you have set these types of events up.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I always found it ironic that Deadpool's purple power is the whale drop which is essentially what this game strives to towards, whales. Other than that he's kinda useless, which describes their attitude to the rest of the player base.
  • ICEx, what about those that purchased 40x packs from Galactus Hungers? I was under the assumption that this was also an 'anniversary' only pack, just extended from last year. Didn't do the Anni pack as I don't care for Devil Dino.
  • Ctenko
    Ctenko Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Ctenko wrote:
    But Heroic odds are 0.3% already for 4*, how is that a 20% increase? They seem to just be on par with Heroics now.

Rounding? Let's say it's actually .27% to get a specific 4*.

.3254% chance is ALSO .3 when rounded. But is 20% more likely...

But Heroic 10 packs are almost half the price and those have a 0.4% chance for a 4*. So, I may as well buy a Heroic pack instead.

Well that's not me, That's them. I was just explaining How at the One pack rate they talked about. They didn't lie. I never said it was better. Just that the math could be correct.

*Shrugs*
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, yes, buying anything except the daily deal is still a terrible idea.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think what might bother me the most about this event and this response is the willingness to completely lose focus of such a huge segment of the audience. Boasting that 100 alliances made it, and that was more than expected. There are roughly 20,000 alliances.

I've been left behind in the 4* race, and today I had my first time I was hit by a team containing both 5*s. The fact that the top 100 or so alliances was a surprisingly large success rate really drives home one thing: they aren't interested in making content that is fun for anyone but the elite. The game has passed me by, any way for the have nots to keep up isn't even a consideration.
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    firethorne wrote:
    I think what might bother me the most about this event and this response is the willingness to completely lose focus of such a huge segment of the audience. Boasting that 100 alliances made it, and that was more than expected. There are roughly 20,000 alliances.

I've been left behind in the 4* race, and today I had my first time I was hit by a team containing both 5*s. The fact that the top 100 or so alliances was a surprisingly large success rates really drives home one thing: they aren't interested in making content that is fun for anyone but the elite. The game has passed me by, any way for the have nots to keep up isn't even a consideration.

As the leader of one of the alliances that didn't make it, and fell just short of the first Cyclops cover, I have to wonder what they were basing their expectations on. ie, comparing it to normal PvE top 100, comparing to the last Ultron event? We tried much, much harder on this event than on normal events. We don't specialize in either PvP or PvE, just have some players that do whichever, some that do both, some that usually just do DPD. But we were hyped for this and got nearly everybody in the Galactus event. I imagine a lot of alliances had much higher participation rates in this event compared to a normal one (at least at the start before people got frustrated).
  • smkspy
    firethorne wrote:

I've been left behind in the 4* race, and today I had my first time I was hit by a team containing both 5*s. The fact that the top 100 or so alliances was a surprisingly large success rate really drives home one thing: they aren't interested in making content that is fun for anyone but the elite. The game has passed me by, any way for the have nots to keep up isn't even a consideration.

I feel the same way. My best characters are a 1 star Surfer and 130 Hulk and playing PVP I go straight from super easy first three nodes to 4 star maxed out teams. I spent so much iso trying to find teams I can actually beat and then never finish with a three character cause any progress I make is so easily wiped out. I get slow crawl progression, but now this game is so geared towards helping top tier players versus new players it's insane. New characters and more powerful Chara gers are great, but not if they scare off new players wanting to start the game. I can only imagine a new player lucky enough to get a surfer only to launch him into brackets he can't possibly compete in.
  • AaronTheLuigi
    AaronTheLuigi Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    For all the shots I took at the game the past 3-4 days I wanted to thank you for the update.

I can't speak on behalf of anyone for how the tokens were or are. I'm simply glad the Galactus event will potentially be more accessible to people like me who do not have any usable star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png s and are still polishing their star.pngstar.pngstar.png s.

On the aside, I think it's wonderful you're providing more goals and opportunities to the top end of the playerbase (i.e. not me). I just hope semi-veterans like myself (today is my 365th day) don't get lost in the shuffle.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    You know what, just rerun anniversary week. Run pool party, devil Dino, balance of power and combined arms (because the celebration should be accessible to everyone, not just high end rosters), run the new (hopefully fun) galactus and deadpool pve. Only give out anniversary tokens, double iso in all pve and pvp and forget about compensation.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    spectator wrote:
    You know what, just rerun anniversary week. Run pool party, devil Dino, balance of power and combined arms (because the celebration should be accessible to everyone, not just high end rosters), run the new (hopefully fun) galactus and deadpool pve. Only give out anniversary tokens, double iso in all pve and pvp and forget about compensation.

who said anything about a deadpool PVE
  • According to my token tracking spreadsheet, I've opened 29 Anniversary tokens. Of those, 26 have been 2* covers. So 2 free Anniversary covers pretty much covers that letdown.
    I look forward to an additional two 2* covers. Thank you in advance.

Also, please post a reminder next year to leave tokens unopened until they are "retooled" after massive user complaint. In case my sarcasm wasn't evident, a few freebies at the new rate do not make up for 29 tokens at the poopy rate.
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    smkspy wrote:
    I always found it ironic that Deadpool's purple power is the whale drop which is essentially what this game strives to towards, whales. Other than that he's kinda useless, which describes their attitude to the rest of the player base.

Err... The name/dynamic of that whale ability is IS the joke. It's meant to be a 4th wall joke toward the game itself.
  • firethorne wrote:

I'd like to point out that this is over a single cover. No character is viable with so few covers so why are they so dang stingy with them. I'm talking about in general but you'd think during their anniversary, they'd be more willing to spread the new characters around like they did with Dino last year. Without the much increased odds, I'm very confident that many of the players in the game wouldn't end up with a dino, even with heavy participation, and that's sad since everyone should get to be happy during the anniversary.
  • smkspy
    Nepenthe wrote:
    firethorne wrote:

I've been left behind in the 4* race, and today I had my first time I was hit by a team containing both 5*s. The fact that the top 100 or so alliances was a surprisingly large success rates really drives home one thing: they aren't interested in making content that is fun for anyone but the elite. The game has passed me by, any way for the have nots to keep up isn't even a consideration.

As the leader of one of the alliances that didn't make it, and fell just short of the first Cyclops cover, I have to wonder what they were basing their expectations on. ie, comparing it to normal PvE top 100, comparing to the last Ultron event? We tried much, much harder on this event than on normal events. We don't specialize in either PvP or PvE, just have some players that do whichever, some that do both, some that usually just do DPD. But we were hyped for this and got nearly everybody in the Galactus event. I imagine a lot of alliances had much higher participation rates in this event compared to a normal one (at least at the start before people got frustrated).

This was essentially my alliance as well. We spend through round 3, then started to slow with round four. By the last night we were barely close to finishing round 5. We pushed through and got a lousy 2 star token for all that effort. I ranked fourth in my alliance with 320,000 points and our top player just under 500,000. I get not finishing all rounds, but when individual progression aren't even close to being achieved for most then something is terribly wrong with the event design.
  • smkspy
    smkspy wrote:

Err... The name/dynamic of that whale ability is IS the joke. It's meant to be a 4th wall joke toward the game itself.

I get that but it still speaks loads towards the devs attitude towards it's consumers. They're not poking fun at the general model of these games and saying "hey, we're a bit different" but instead mocking us by saying "hey we're even worse than just about every one else."
  • slidecage wrote:
    lawboy18 wrote:
    This changes seem fair & a step in the right direction, but I'll reserve final judgment until after the next Galactus event.

With regard to the tokens, the increased odds are much appreciated, but this is exactly why some kind of update/response was needed. A quick "hold on to your tokens, were looking into making changes to them" would've gone a long way.

Also, can you give any insight as to why the essential nodes saw a drastic increase in difficulty 1/2 through the event? (After you said they should be "trivial") In Round 8, one or two of the nodes had level 395 opponents; which if you didn't know, are NOT fun.

i dont see how a single person can say this is far those who open the tokens at the lower rate got scammed simple as that..

Why not give everyone Some dino covers to make up for it.

love to see another company get away with what this company is trying to do...

HEY ALL OPEN your tokens from 10.8 to now and have XXX chance to do it.. People open them.... HEY Guess what hoarders you still got those tokens we are now going to increase the ODDS even better .. who gives a rat **** about those who already opened them we give them 2 tokens no matter they opened 10X more then that

everyone send in tickets until they give us all of the tokens Back if they say No just keep Resending until the give them to us

My subconscious must be protecting me from a traumatic experience, did something happen over the last 3.5 days? icon_e_wink.gif

You're right, I should've specified, but its the changes going forward I'm optimistic about. However, my optimism has been greatly tempered.

I'm a day 720 player & I can't remember being more dishearted by MPQ than I am right now. This sadiversary has felt like it was "rushed to the floor" with little or no testing beforehand.

I get that NYCC was last weekend & I understand why you would be preoccupied with it (for most of the day anyway), but you have a calendar, right? Why did the Anniversary have to start this weekend. Clearly, having the celebration begin on 10/3 was of little importance, so why not start Galactus & BV on 10/15 or even today? If it had to start on 10/8, why wasn't anyone monitoring the events to ensure everything was going smoothly?

I think everyone would've been more than happy to wait a week for a properly tested event & having you (Ice/anyone really) around in case something went array to do more than a 15 minute flyby on Friday night to post a terrible response & a ninja update substantially increasing the difficulty of the essential nodes, then disappear into the ether.

Lastly, if the expectation going into the Galactus event was for the player to lose (i.e., do less than full damage), why in tinykitty would you make the top progression reward 1.25m? I haven't & won't do the math, but from my experience, this required near optimal timing & to regularly BEAT Galactus. I can get a Legendary Token for far less effort in any old PvE, but this event was supposed to kick off a "week of celebration." Somewhere there's a disconnect & I don't think its with our expectations of this event.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    This thread should be titled: "stingy devs vs. greedy players" icon_lol.gif
  • smkspy
    Omega Red wrote:
    This thread should be titled: "stingy devs vs. greedy players" icon_lol.gif

So what classifies a greedy player? We know the devs are stingy, but what makes a presumably paying customs base greedy?
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I am happy the changes are being made with some time left in Anniversary Week. I jus think there should be WAY more compensation given to those opened their wallets for the 10 and 40 packs with TERRIBLE odds. I think they should get an additional pull if whatever they already bought. I'm f2p, so this in no way would benefit me. Three additional tokens for a 10-pack and a 10-pack for a 40-pack just doesn't seem fair. If a restaurant gets your order, you're compensated a meal. The players deserve the same for what they paid for.