On Galactus run 1 (Game feel vs Ultron)

Options

Comments

• dathremar wrote:
    Stupid event, just plain stupid idea of fun for an anniversary event. Such a shame a game that has gone on for 2 years is willing to mark a milestone such as this with a sorry excuse for a "new event". Still making your player-base bend over and taking it from the rear. Giving away 2* like candy while holding all the 4* and legendary tokens. No news of what even happened to the 3*. Well done devs, that'll do.

Sad that I just pulled a three out of a standard token.

a STANDARD token

Not the anniversary token nor the heroic....
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I believe they playtested it, because they said they had been playing it in the office.

But my guess is that they had a play tested version, and someone decided to "tweak" it a little before launch. Like, "it gets harder each round because his health goes up, but maybe we should make it a little more of a challenge by adding another countdown tile each round. That'll probably make it just a tiny bit harder..."
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Elayne wrote:
    And I wouldn't call level 176 level minions trivial. When they were level 70 sure

This! Whose idea was it to increase enemy levels by at least 100 in an event that is already health pack intensive?

I would love to try a bit of versus events during the Galactus recharge but guess what? I need that time for my health packs to recharge.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You screwed up. Badly. Admit it, take down the events, and maybe run them again next year after you've had time for actual testing. Pretending we should be grateful to bash our heads against a brick wall over and over isn't a good plan.
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:
    And if the difficulty is correct, any reason the rewards are, what they are?
    Care to expand on that? The rewards are 3 4* covers, quite a few tokens through both progressions and nodes, and various other smaller rewards. It's pretty on for a boss battle in comparison to prior rewards, plus the Legendary token which wasn't there before.

The Ultron event rewards were exceptional. Probably over the top. I easily funded at least one roster slot.

Ultron had progression rewards per level. Galactus does not.

Ultron had very high quality rewards for interim/goon nodes. (e.g., HP, heroics) Galactus does not.

Ultron had attainable individual progression rewards. The Legendary may be more valuable in Galactus, but it's not attainable. (Because those require winning on occasion.)

The only similarity is alliance progression rewards. You know, the ones y'all comped everybody after Ultron #1 because the alliance progression target was too high the first time around.

So it's coming across as intentional blindness to say these compare favorably.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No matter how you spin it, this whole thing is still a massive

hueheffner.jpghugh-laurie-new-movie.jpg

to the playerbase.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options
    IceIX:
    Where is Iceman in the tokens?
    Why are the token odds for anniversary so much worse than last year?
    Why aren't 20 man LR being run?
    What's up with the giant gap in having any events to do that kicked off the anniversary event?
    How is losing in 3 turns doing less than 3k damage unless you get an incredibly lucky board supposed to be fun?

And last but not least:

WHERE WERE YOU FOR THE LAST 30 FRICKING HOURS?
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Options
    But on turn 3 you lose. Even buying 100hp boosts. I did 800 points damage. My worst attempt yet. By a large margin.

I am not going to dilute the data by force quitting. This is like the bad old days of pvp tanking. Game has gone backwards icon_e_sad.gif
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    forch wrote:
    IceX,

A simple question. Did you and the others think that this event would be fun for players? If yes, why did you think so?
    They clearly did. That video, Miles and Casey were so excited for the Galactus event, it was gonna be so fun. Maybe it was at the time they made the video and then a bunch of last minute changes made it completely unplayable. Even in a best case scenario you get basically 4 turns to match gems until you're facing imminent death and need to fire off any/all abilities asap. At least 2 of those turns have to be devoted to matching countdowns or you only get like 3 turns.

So, the plan was give us 3 turns to match tiles and fire one ability before dying? Yeah...sounds fun.
  • LegendReborn
    Options
    The fact that some of us have found ways to abuse your terrible event doesn't make the event better.

By the way, could we get heroic tokens. I'd like a chance at rewards I actually want.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    (...) Galactus is different. The "minion" fights against the villains are relatively simple. They're there as minor hazards but relatively easily winnable. Galactus on the other hand is a massive threat. (...)

While the second part is most certainly true the first part about the "minion" fights is a definite lie, at least for me.

In the nodes that just opened up there is a survival node that requires Captain Marvel and it has opponent levels 84-330 while my highest boosted character only gets boosted to 164. In what way is this 'relatively simple'? I need 1-2 health packs for unlocking Galactus and then another 3 while trying to beat him so those get used up pretty quickly. The Ultron fights were much easier compared to this.

This whole thing has me ready to quit trying to play Galactus, especially as it seems there are things being made up to make it seem intended.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    StevO-J wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    (...) Galactus is different. The "minion" fights against the villains are relatively simple. They're there as minor hazards but relatively easily winnable. Galactus on the other hand is a massive threat. (...)

While the second part is most certainly true the first part about the "minion" fights is a definite lie, at least for me.

In the nodes that just opened up there is a survival node that requires Captain Marvel and it has opponent levels 84-330 while my highest boosted character only gets boosted to 164. In what way is this 'relatively simple'? I need 1-2 health packs for unlocking Galactus and then another 3 while trying to beat him so those get used up pretty quickly. The Ultron fights were much easier compared to this.

This whole thing has me ready to quit trying to play Galactus, especially as it seems there are things being made up to make it seem intended.
    Whats funny is the event began without scaling and everything was a base level like 30 or so.

Even oodles more fun.
  • mohio wrote:
    forch wrote:
    IceX,

A simple question. Did you and the others think that this event would be fun for players? If yes, why did you think so?
    They clearly did. That video, Miles and Casey were so excited for the Galactus event, it was gonna be so fun. Maybe it was at the time they made the video and then a bunch of last minute changes made it completely unplayable. Even in a best case scenario you get basically 4 turns to match gems until you're facing imminent death and need to fire off any/all abilities asap. At least 2 of those turns have to be devoted to matching countdowns or you only get like 3 turns.

So, the plan was give us 3 turns to match tiles and fire one ability before dying? Yeah...sounds fun.

To be honest I kinda think the desperation of it is kinda exciting.

With a side of "Now it's not a total failure if you get wiped" junk.

"Any damage you do counts" feels actually relevant and all.
  • Dalbok
    Dalbok Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Options
    IceIX,

I posted about this earlier imagining what you stated was the plan:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33549#p423966

A couple of things I think you all failed to consider regarding this event as part of a celebration.

- You all really should have set an expectation ahead of time about the fact that everyone is going to lose. I get it, it makes sense, it's Galactus, but you all have all of the data, you have to understand that the Psychology of the playerbase is that they expect to Win in playing this game. Or at least to have the chance to win. If you are going to introduce a mechanic where that isn't going to be the case you should have discussed that ahead of time, otherwise you should expect that your users are going to think you simply messed something up for it to feel so wrong.

- You really should have saved this event for another time and made the Anniversary more celebratory. The user base wants the excitement of celebrating with you, earning cool gifts, having fun, etc... , not getting a kick in the teeth. And "winning" for an Anniversary should be open to everyone, not just the best of the best. We all want to celebrate in the Anniversary, let us all celebrate equally (I don't mean to say everyone should get Legendary tokens or anything like that) but for a celebration like this it shouldn't be about a specific
    playerbase.

- A couple of suggestions (some are probably not realistic but I'll say them anyway)
    - Double ALL ISO, not just Anniversary ISO, ISO from Daily Rewards, sales of covers, anything. Again, it's about making it feel special.
    - Cancel the second round of Galactus, bring it back at another time, set expectations. Perhaps bring back the Ultron event for the 2nd round but scale back the difficulty. I hesitate to suggest the latter part of that because it still excludes the non-alliance player at some level.
    - Increase odds of tokens (at least Anniversary tokens) but I'm thinking all tokens at least temporarily.
    - A bigger bonus for ISO sales. Of course I can't realistically speak to this because for all I know you all could be selling a ton of ISO and it's working great for you all. But purchasing ISO is such a waste (from a player's perspective). It seemed okay at the 1/2* levels but now it would take $100-$200 to fully level just a 3* (I didn't calculate but could easily do so) and a 4* would be even worse. I can't imagine anyone purchasing ISO at that expense ratio. If you could level several 3* (or a couple of 4*) then it may more sense to spend $ on ISO. But even a 30% increase is not enticing (imho). For what it's worth I think HP costs are appropriate for what you get vs what you spend. The only caveat is that I imagine your 1/2* (newer) players are purchasing ISO, but the only drawback to such an increase is they get through that stage quicker, just helps to "sink your teeth into them quicker" I imagine.

My two cents...
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    To add my $0.02.

I understand that we're meant to lose the battles, while hopefully winning the war. If this is supposed to be a "realistic" fight of heroes against Galactus, I would think that it would take more than three attacks (matches) to warrant his wrath.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just thought I'd hop aboard the rage train. I came into this anniversary prepared to drop $100. Now I'm probably not spending a dime on it ever again, and this spin doctor bull **** is only making that more of a certainty.

You want to save face? Admit to yourselves what is glaringly obvious to everyone here. Admit this was a failure! No spin. No excuses. You've over hyped and under delivered. This isn't fun. People won't have any faith that you can fix a problem when you won't even **** admit there is one. What you are doing is just pouring gasoline on a fire.

Oh, and the anniversary tokens suck.
  • You said that the game is rigged for the players to lose... and I can see where that makes sense thematically, but the rewards clearly require that you win.

I'm an active player, so I will face Galactus 5 times (once after each node) every 8 hours (the amount of time it takes for the minion nodes to reset). That means I'm playing 15 times a day for 4 days, a total of 60 times. That means a player would need to average ~21,000 per Galactus fight to get to the legendary token. The minions themselves are worth 1,600, so that drops the expectation to 19,400 per Galactus fight.

Considering that winning nets you ~24,000, I don't see how you can expect a player who is not winning (as you intended) to achieve the rewards you've set forth for the event. The math just doesn't work out.
  • Willis
    Willis Posts: 49
    Options
    So we're supposed to suicide on galactus? Pardon me while my face turns blue from laughter.

Alright now that I've gotten that out of the way I'll give my 2 cents.

1) The entire galactus fight is luck based usually resulting in people dropping dead in 3 turns barely doing scratch damage. It's also more beneficial to just retreat instead of letting galactus blast your team. I'd really love to know a good strategy that can consistently take chunks out of galactus without scrambling like headless chickens.
    2) We have limited chances to do damage to galactus. Even less if you lack essentials. This wouldn't be a bad thing by itself except you factor in the first problem were you're just barely scratching the guy. So the entire process is to tap galactus for several turns then retreat, do an essential, then poke him some more. You're basically saying we need to play like cowards. After that you're stuck waiting 8 hours to get yourself killed all over again.
    3) I don't feel like a superhero. I feel like cannon fodder being sent on a death march. It's like being an imperial guardsman in warhammer 40k. No matter what happens chances are I'm gonna die horribly. It makes me wonder why the heck I'm even bothering trying to fight this guy.

Do not insult my intelligence. You can not POSSIBLY tell me in a game like MPQ where you have limited playtime (not counting spending money to revive your guys) that being forced to die/run away is fun. The 4* DPD was one thing, but that was easily ignored and not dieing automatically. This is one of the biggest events you've ever done and it just plain sucks.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    You're supposed to lose. Every time you do, you're still chipping away at his life. It's an exercise in damage in aggregate. Over the 3.5 days, hitting him over and over to finally bring down the big bad is somewhat slow, but certainly effective.
    Effective in terms of what?? Clearing all the progression rewards is plainly impossible. If you're telling us we're supposed to lose, what is a legendary doing at 1.25mil? You need to be winning to score that much, but you just told us we're not supposed to be winning. Is this just another entry to file under "demiurge sucks at basic math"?
  • StillNotAsFustratingAndHopelessAsPVP/10