On Galactus run 1 (Game feel vs Ultron)

Options

Comments

• Flare808
    Flare808 Posts: 266
    Options
    In earlier videos, the devs expressed that they do not have well developed rosters (most in the 3 star transition). Even though high level alliances are doing well with respect to where you thought we'd be, we're still struggling. The problem is the your chances of winning are determined by the initial board state. If you get a decent board, you may squeak out a win. If all of Galactus' tiles hide in corners, GG.

My question to the devs or Ice is since many of you lack fully covered 4 stars, what has been your strategy to beating Galactus round 6 and above? And has the dev team actually completed Galactus with the difficulty/restrictions given to the playerbase?
  • IceIX wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:
    And if the difficulty is correct, any reason the rewards are, what they are?
    Care to expand on that? The rewards are 3 4* covers, quite a few tokens through both progressions and nodes, and various other smaller rewards. It's pretty on for a boss battle in comparison to prior rewards, plus the Legendary token which wasn't there before.

Compared to Ultron, the Ultron node reward included a few HP rewards, while there's none of that for Galactus. Just one Galactus token per round with him.

I'm guessing some of us want more HP. I'm among them. icon_razz.gif
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thanks for the event info. Even if it's not what we wanted to hear.

Also while you're here. The 3000 season progression. It's a mistake right? Clearly it should be moonstone, right? icon_e_smile.gif
  • Coppertouret
    Coppertouret Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Care to elaborate on why the token draw rates are less superior to regular heroic tokens? Why increase the amount received if you're going to nerf the rates?
  • binarypillbug
    Options
    You've mention how people are progressing with rounds, but how about personal progress to the legendary token? Is that going how you expected it to?

I also feel like I'm getting less points from Galactus himself as the event progresses, since he's more likely to take you out quicker. That doesn't seem like how it should be working. Beyond that, having the battle over SO quickly, and so based on starting board luck seems like a bad way to put this concept across. I don't mind losing every time, but something definiately doesn't feel quite right.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sure, it's a game and a special anniversary. But no one said anything about having fun.

I really have never had such bad feelings to any form of entertainment as I do toward MPQ right now.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    brisashi wrote:
    Could you comment on the countdown tiles in the boss event? They drop as 3-turn tiles but go down to 2- turn tiles immediately. No other countdown tiles work this way. Is this an intended mechanic?
    Hmm? The description for the Countdown tiles list them as 3 2-turn Countdown tiles. Maybe getting tripped up by the adjacent numbers in the description?

The CD tiles would drop on his turn and decrease by 1 on the same turn (which is contrary to every other CD in the game) effectively making them 1 less turn than what was stated in the description. This has been talked about many places. It is not the description that is the issue, it is the specific mechanics of the proc'ing of his CD tiles that is the concern.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Hey all,

You're supposed to lose.

Silly us. Thinking we were supposed to have a shot at all these rewards.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2015
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Care to expand on that? The rewards are 3 4* covers, quite a few tokens through both progressions and nodes, and various other smaller rewards. It's pretty on for a boss battle in comparison to prior rewards, plus the Legendary token which wasn't there before.

The legendary and even the human torch are far out of reach of most.

My alliance is on round 5.
    Galactus has 20,320 HP if you get that far.

The legendary is at 1,250,000.
    Human torch 3 star at 900,000

Round 8 finishes at 5,900,000.
    A single health pack and 50 Hp are part of the reward structure.

if this were any event sure. I thought this was more an anniversary aligned event with more enticing awards then usual. Am I mistaken?

A handful at most in most alliances will reach these goals.
    Even the 3 star will be out of reach of most people (count me in the party that needs it)
    People with the 'winfinite' team featuring the best characters in game are barely seeing consistent wins, so those later rewards won't benefit many, if any.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    colwag wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:

Compared to Ultron, the Ultron node reward included a few HP rewards, while there's none of that for Galactus. Just one Galactus token per round with him.

I'm guessing some of us want more HP. I'm among them. icon_razz.gif

hell i take the tokens. Never got a single token in any galactus event. just little ISO until we got to a level where i cant even make it past the 4 move
  • Rhycar
    Rhycar Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    Options
    For crying out loud. ICE, I hope you and your team realize that a lot of the furor could have been cut off instantly if your OP would have been released BEFORE the event. Minus the part about the servers (well, maybe not). "You're supposed to die" and "the nodes will not reset" would have been amazingly effective pieces of communication. I can't understand why you guys would rather communicate with us AFTER you've upset everyone rather than BEFORE.
  • Coik
    Coik Posts: 19
    Options
    I'll admit, I certainly don't mind losing to Galactus. I mean, it's bloody Galactus, he should be difficult, and it should take a lot of effort and sweat to beat him.

What I mind is that it's entirely possible for me to start up a fight with Galactus and walk out on turn 3 only having done 2k damage to him through no real fault of my own. Two thousand damage out of the two million health he has in Round 5, mind.

I said to my alliance last night that I feel like I'm doing more to defeat Galactus by clearing the refresh nodes than I am actually fighting him. Since they're worth 1600 points...

Also, countdown timer wackiness. My Galcy is on cooldown so I can't directly check, but I'm 98.478367273843982% sure that the ability description says it's a three turn, yet it will spawn and immediately count down to two. That I mind.
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    First off: THANK YOU. Thank you so much for responding.

I can understand that you want this to be an entirely different feel from Ultron. And it is. Believe me, it is. But I feel that it might not be in the correct way. Yes, the fights against the Ultron bots were a big annoyance, and health packs were most certainly used. But there were ways to mitigate the damage. There was strategy involved. Do you kill the healing bot first? How about that annoying critical tile bot? What should you match next? Also, I can't help but point out, in none of those fights did any enemy kill you in 3 turns. You used fewer health packs because not all your characters were getting destroyed every fight.

That's the underlying crux of the entire thing. You gave us an opponent who can kill a team maybe 85% of the time in 3 turns (take that percentage with a grain of salt, all that). The only way to progress in this event is to damage the boss. Which brings me to my first point: if most of the time all we can do is 2-4k damage, I don't see how any real progression is being made. I really, really hope that you folks haven't overestimated our ability to progress against nearly impossible odds.

Second point: this is just not fun. Some people are enjoying themselves heartily. And kudos to them. But for everyone else, this is an absolute chore. The minion nodes become an extreme annoyance, having to whittle through them for intensely small rewards just for another opportunity to use 3 health packs and suicide your characters into Galactus again. Another poster suggested the event would be more fun if you could throw your entire roster at Galactus, then have some nodes open up that are fun and offer health packs as rewards. Take that as you will.

Third: this may not be how you intended for things to appear, but the entire event has the feel of a cash grab. The amount of health packs needed is overwhelming. The odds for tokens in your events are lowered for anything useful. But that's okay, because here's a bunch of extra iso and HP if you give us money! You have turned it from free-to-play into pay-to-win. Many of us have tossed you money. I hear about people buying Stark Salaries all the bloody time. I've even made a few purchases myself, although with my income, it's few and far between.

Fourth: as mentioned, the event tokens. What the heck were you thinking? This is supposed to be a celebration, and so far, you've given hardly anybody reason to party. Worse odds than a normal Heroic token. Why? What is the point? Devil Dino at 3% chance, down from 10% last year? Last anniversary, you celebrated with us by basically giving everyone a cover, and you have gone so far into the red zone of stinginess. What are we celebrating? Because this is actually, categorically worse than not having a special anniversary event at all.

I like your game. Hell, I like the 4* DDQ, and think it's fair that people who are deeper into 4* territory have better chances at getting a 5* cover. But this anniversary is all wrong. It should be over. Just take us back to the normal stuff we deal with. You pumped us up for this event, and then let all the air out of our balloons.
  • Philly79
    Philly79 Posts: 422 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm not playing Galactus, but I've heard enough complaints that I thought I would comment on this post.

If the plan was for teams to lose to Galactus, why not say that upfront, instead of saying the event is "like Ultron." Moreover, if defeating Galactus is such an achievement, the prize for beating him should be something awesome -- like a legendary token. After all, if beating Galactus is so difficult, it should be a legendary achievement. Better prizes for the minion battles would go a long way toward taking the sting out of the constant losses on the boss node.

Yeah I remember the last few rounds ( when I could at him) I did manage to get the double 20 iso, if he was intended to be so hard and it is an accomplishment to beat him why are we being rewarded with **** 40 iso opposed to event or anniversary tokens? Not that that matters too much since the majority of players have gotten nothing but 2* **** from these "special" tokens anyway, myself included, 14 tokens and I have gotten 1 3* which was unusable.
  • daveomite
    daveomite Posts: 1,331 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    o7qb5y.jpg
  • ICE your post is face saving NONSENSE and I don't buy it for a second

you may be a real nice guy in real life but this is just garbage.

This is NOT. FUN. read NOT. FUN. your anniversary event is NOT.... FUN. No one is having fun, EVERYONE is complaining.

I wondered how long it would be before 'working as intended' came around.

Poll the players, ICE. I DARE you. You will find less than 20% enjoying this event, I would guess. And everyone hates the tokens we are getting. Smart to completely ignore that, I guess.

Shameful insult of our intelligence. Nothing personal, Im sure someone is pulling your strings and sending you out here to comment. Company should be embarassed.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I've been pretty supportive of most of your recent decisions, and vocal about my disappointment in others. I'm the least hyperbolic poster on the forums. Probably in the entire world.

This event is not fun.

I just finished going 0/6 against Galactus. On 5 out of the 6 boards, I knew as soon as I studied the initial board that I was going to need a lucky cascade to win. That didn't happen. On the sixth one, my Iron Fist purple cast fizzled, and that was all she wrote. I spent an hour, all of my health packs, and contributed virtually nothing to my alliance's progression. At Round 6 and above, this could happen to any player.

In operation, the game mechanics are drastically different from those previewed. Small changes to numbers make a huge deal. It's hard for us to believe that these results are intended, because the results would have been very different with the event mechanics presented to us in the days immediately preceding the event.

It's one thing for us to not be successful every time. It's quite another for us to fail so completely on an unrepeatable node, and feel like it was entirely due to the starting board. That's not fun, that's certainly not worth spending money on, and I'm seriously wondering whether it's worth spending time on.

[Edited for clarity]
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    But did the developers test for everything?

Starlord, Devil Dino, Prof X.

Boost Yellow and Purple. At the start, get some lucky purple 5-matches and a Yellow match.

Use Everyone With Me at 7 yellowtile.png .

That drops the cost of Prehistoric Arms to 1 purpletile.png !

Cast Prehistoric Arms 20 times in a row. That triggers Prof X to put 60 special tiles on the board.

Have Devil Dino devour Galactus at his leisure.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX, I am typically very understanding of the dev effort.

But Galactus was different. Its an exercise in futility. It's a coin flip. Success depends on the board state entirely, with no meaningful strategy.

I understand the lore aspect and the general feel about it. I can accept losing often (and using health packs).

But there are better ways to achieve that... Ways to give the same effect without making us feel that we can't think of anything.

Even if the games have a timer of 10 rounds, and his health increases by 5 times, people will feel that they have more control over what they can achieve.

3 turns in one game to decide the outcome of a game is just freaking too short. There's nothing fun about playing for 1 min and losing.
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    So everyone's doing pretty darned well in terms of progression.

Alliance progression, maybe, although estimates suggest most top alliances won't finish 8.

Individual progression? Hah! That requires winning, which you just said isn't one of the intended outcomes. The legendary individual progression is looking pretty unachievable. Any comment on that please?

One of the other comparisons to the Ultron event was the quality of rewards in the intermediate battles. HP and gold tokens were the norm for the intermediate goon battles, IIRC. Here, it's standards and 20 ISO. For an anniversary event. Yay. /s

Despite what you said, the CD power description was very definitely off from what was actually happening in some of the later rounds.

We appreciate the response, but what the tinykitty took so long to get one?