Options

Comments

• Nooneelsesname
    Nooneelsesname Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Hey all,

To start, it seems like a lot of people are on a basic disconnect here

When the forum response is this overwhelmingly negative to all aspects of the Anniversary event the disconnect isn't with the players.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ice, thank you for the communication. It is very much appreciated.

First of all, this should have been communicated to the player base up front! If we went into the event knowing that we were expected to lose the majority of the time expectations would have been set better than 'the event is similar to Ultron' which is what we had to go on before. Though I think you all underestimate just how much the average player hates losing and how much fun it sucks out of the game for us. Especially when it eats up your health packs.

The other problem is how you're forcing us to lose. It comes down to luck - if you have a good starting board, you can eke out a win. If you don't, you'll wipe. It's a coin toss. There's no strategy, there's no sense of Galactus being this overwhelming opponent (like he might feel if he had an absurd amount of health). That's not fun. Most teams don't even have a chance to get ramped up. Like others have said, knowing I'm going to win or lose just by looking at the starting board kind of sucks.

Overall, I'm just really disappointed by this event. If it weren't for my alliance I'd probably stop playing it.
  • Dev93L
    Dev93L Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    Options
    One more thing. I know we are all playing armchair game designers to an extent here, but how on earth did the designers play this story, die on turn 3, and say to themselves:

"We've got it! They're gonna love this!"

Some folks will say it wasn't tested but I think most sensible folks can agree it was tested. The logic of the decision to ship the event in this form just baffles me.

Apologies for the intense ranting, I am just very passionate about the game.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just adding my voice the the chorus here: This is NOT an enjoyable event.

Now for a suggestion moving forward. We're supposed to lose? Fine, actually makes sense. A human assassin and a cripple probably shouldn't take down someone that can eat a planet anyway. But how about when (not if, when) we DO lose, our characters leave the fight at whatever health they were at before Galactus went supernova? That takes 95% of the pay-to-play aspect of it away, and encourages us to find cool solutions to try to take him down. Going into a fight that guarantees you're out 3 health packs feels like a shameless cash grab, probably because well...it is.

And when we do get lucky and take him out for a round, why the actual kitty is 40 ISO even a possible reward??? icon_evil.gif
  • GMadMan040
    Options
    First, kudos for stepping into the Lion's den.

Second, creating a situation where one is designed to lose is definitely not unprecedented in the gaming world. (See "Nintendo Hard" or "Dark Souls" for reference). But it does run contradictory to the nature of the current game paradigm. The best strategy at high levels for taking on Galactus is to hit as hard and as quickly as possible, knowing that at some point very, VERY quickly a wipe is coming. At the highest level, this equates to 2 or 3 turns, which is total nonsense, no matter how anyone tries to spin it.

In normal game context, losing is fine, we all know we are gonna wipe once in awhile. We took on a challenge with the wrong team setup or tried to punch out of our weight class. Players get nothing for losing. Also fine for the aforementioned reasons. It happens, and many times we as the players are responsible for that.

But here, losing is the norm. Players still get virtually nothing. Just points towards a very long term progression. No rewards of any kind. In a game where progression is that absolute top goal, this makes no sense. Also, for most players who haven't thought about it, it also means 3 health packs & probably boosts burned. No rewards plus losing health packs & boosts is the worst possible outcome in MPQ. And here is a situation where that is set up to be the expectation?

So now we have a situation where the optimal play runs as follows -

At the starting gate - gather the best AP boosts that you have on hand (all costing resources of some kind) and pray.
    First turn - Hope that you have a favorable starting board and can nab enough AP on the opening move to fire a power
    Second turn - Hope that the power that you fire provides the results you need and a board layout that is favorable, Hope that Galactus drops his CD tiles in a place that you can deal with one or two of them
    Third turn - Hope that you have enough AP to down Galactus, Hope that he does not have so many cosmic tiles on the board to wipe you that turn.
    Fourth turn - (if you get there) - Hope that you can finish him, or you wipe or you retreat.

There is so much hoping for good breaks in there. That can't realistically be considered rewarding gameplay can it? I love a great many things about MPQ, and I have invested my time and $$ appropriately. I'm not fuming here or feeding into the troll hate that has been going around. It has to be objectively acknowledged though that, as this particular game mode is executed right this moment, it was a decent idea that lacks quality execution.

Lots of stuff has gone wrong over the past couple of days. It happens. Please just make it better.

This note to the player base, while definitely NOT the kind of language that most people are looking to hear, is appreciated as at least some kind of contact. Keeping that up will go a very long, long way. Thank you.

tl;dr - thanks for the message, nope this is still bad game play and planning, looking forward to the future correction and improvements.
  • spghttihead
    spghttihead Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Options
    "There's a set number of times you can hit Galactus before you need to take a break to let minions refresh. That break means that you have plenty of times for Galactus drained Packs to refresh while you can go in and get some Black Vortex in. Or play Simulator (up soon). Or get your Devil Dino on when that starts up."

I'd love to go play the other events, but all my characters are dead and all health packs are gone.
  • Dev93L
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Hey all,

To start, it seems like a lot of people are on a basic disconnect here

When the forum response is this overwhelmingly negative to all aspects of the Anniversary event the disconnect isn't with the players.

Even accounting for the silent people enjoying the event, I still feel this post is categorically correct.
  • all my characters are dead and my health packs are gone
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    here's an idea. If Galactus downs your team, those characters remain at the health they started the match with. That way it's not such a big healthpack.png suck.
  • just adding my voice to the chorus

- galactus event is not fun; and i am winning more often than not (try 2* magneto, OBW & a red heavy hitter- am using cyclops & color boosts). That's how i am beating it. But to come back to main point; its not fun. The lockout stinks, the annihilation of your toons is not fun. I would not be winning or doing well without those color boosts.

- the paltry rewards stink

-agree the fact that "youre not suppose to win" is really, really a cruddy method of thinking. I just cant wrap my ahead around that. Maybe its game design 101, but heck i'd like to have the chance to win. I dont mind losing, but give me a chance ya know.

The main thing I hate about galactus is that it can be very well over in 3 turns with your team dead. How is that fun?
  • You guys are making it very difficult for me to support the design on this event. In almost 200+ days of playing this is the worst moral beating I've had on this game. We are supposed to lose agains Galactus, fair enough, but no game is fun when the biggest outcome is a defeat. This is plainly NOT FUN

You are shielding with the excuse of Galactus being someone invincible to cover up the flawed design of the whole event, even making changes on the last 24 hours based on the strategies discussed on here, we were basically punished for being creative on a "puzzle" game.

I remember on the ant-man event a guide you made for players having trouble, I'd love to see you guys doing the same thing on this event. I'm eager to see what is the "strategy" for knocking someone down with over 24k health in less than 4 turns. After round 6 (even 5) facing Galactus is a pure exercise of luck.

And indeed the rewards are much worse than the regular pve's. By placing t50 or higher you can earn 50 hp daily on regular pve's, plus the final hp for the whole event and the hp on the progression. On galactus there's TWO hp progression rewards, and that's it, plus a Legendary Token that not every member of the alliance can get because there's not enough points.

I really don't see myself going thro this five more days, after the cyclops run I'm out. I'll take a heroic event or a seven day event instead of this **** anyday
  • Dev93L
    Options
    Lots of stuff has gone wrong over the past couple of days. It happens. Please just make it better.

This note to the player base, while definitely NOT the kind of language that most people are looking to hear, is appreciated as at least some kind of contact. Keeping that up will go a very long, long way. Thank you.

Just to try and be fair, I respect you Ice for posting and want to say I agree with this post.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    gTmWnG0.jpg?1
  • forch
    forch Posts: 11
    Options
    IceX,

A simple question. Did you and the others think that this event would be fun for players? If yes, why did you think so?
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    "There's a set number of times you can hit Galactus before you need to take a break to let minions refresh. That break means that you have plenty of times for Galactus drained Packs to refresh while you can go in and get some Black Vortex in. Or play Simulator (up soon). Or get your Devil Dino on when that starts up."

I'd love to go play the other events, but all my characters are dead and all health packs are gone.

This!!
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Options
    Why on Earth would you design something so opposite to what's kept people playing this game for two years, and then launch it on the anniversary?? Admitting it sucks would've been better than having us believe you thought we'd like dying futily over and over to earn any rewards.
  • Elayne
    Elayne Posts: 23
    Options
    And I wouldn't call level 176 level minions trivial. When they were level 70 sure
  • Stupid event, just plain stupid idea of fun for an anniversary event. Such a shame a game that has gone on for 2 years is willing to mark a milestone such as this with a sorry excuse for a "new event". Still making your player-base bend over and taking it from the rear. Giving away 2* like candy while holding all the 4* and legendary tokens. No news of what even happened to the 3*. Well done devs, that'll do.
  • Unknown
    edited October 2015
    Options
    As we all know, we play this game because we love to lose. After all losing is fun! So it makes sense than an event that's been hyped up for a while as a huge anniversary extravaganza fantastic team event delivers so much fun. We play this game because it's supposed to be fun.

I can't imagine how mad players would be if this event wasn't fun after it's been hyped so much. Alright! I'm going to go lose some more to Galactus and have some more fun as soon as I get done with the forums! I might even use some boosts just so I might win to mix it up. I don't want to have too much fun after all.

With the new commercials and advertisements, I can't even contemplate what new players are thinking after hearing about how much fun and losing is occurring.

I am now going to read the rest of the forums to make sure everyone is having as much fun as I am. After all, a good company listens to its customers, and I'm sure with everyone having so much fun; D3 will keep delivering matches that I'm supposed to lose.

ON THE COUNT OF THREE: 1,2,3 LEEEETS LOOOOOOOSE
  • Yasuru
    Yasuru Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Options
    I came into the event planning to drop $20 on HP (which I don't really need). Instead, I am seriously considering quitting the game. The event is not fun. The tokens are a sad joke.