**** Cyclops (Classic) ****

Comments

• Well I read the thing wrong and it says Extra not bonus but I see extra as additional. It should say boosted.
  • IceIX wrote:
    notamutant wrote:
    I am a bit confused about red. If I have 10 team up AP, it only uses team up AP, I don't need both TU and red AP, right? Meaning if I had 10 red and 10 TU AP, I can deal around 17k damage.
    If you have Red, it uses Red. If you have Red *and* TU AP, it uses both. You don't get to just use TU AP.

I'm very confused now. The post on powers says "instead" (which is now in all caps for emphasis)

"Combined Arms - 10 redtile.png AP
    Cyclops fires a powerful optic blast, coordinating his attack with his teammates for maximum impact. Deals 543 damage and destroys a chosen basic tile. If you have 10 or more Team-Up AP, INSTEAD drain 10 Team-Up AP, deal 585 damage and destroy a chosen row (tiles do not deal damage or generate AP)."

Instead means "as an alternative or substitute"

Should it read " IN ADDITION " meaning red & TU?
    Cause that's a HUGE difference. Like upper tier 4* vs mid to low tier (cause 11k damage from 20 AP is not all impressive)

Not trying to be snarky or overly technical here. However the wording here clearly reads as use up TU INSTEAD of red AP if one has more than 10 TU.

Also this collect multiple AP types for different powers is being used in OML also. Having a certain amount of yellow while using black switches his powers to the alternate. That also clearly reads as "keeps yellow AP after power change" since it doesn't specify that it used up. This reads the same way.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 684 Critical Contributor
    Red looks amazing at level 5, 1185 damage/AP not including team-up AP. Plus it can easily destroy any special tiles (including black holes) or give some AP back. Level 4 on both yellow and blue are very minor upgrades, so it's either 5/3/5 or 5/5/3. I'd probably go 5/3/5.
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    At first glance cyclops abilities seem to do pretty mediocre damage. Red does 539 dmg/ap and blue 389 dmg/ap which is nothing to write home about. But since you can use them to gain ap they become much more efficient. With red you can easily get some ap back by destroying a single tile causing a cascade. Even a single 3-match effectively reduces the cost to 7 ap making it a very respectable 770 dmg/ap nuke. With blue you get the targeted tile of any color + any red tiles nearby back as ap. If you hit 3 red tiles the dmg per ap becomes 779. And any cascades or additional red tiles make the skill bonkers. I actually love the blue nuke since you can destroy any one tile (countdowns mostly) with it making it very versitale skill. I don't know about the yellow yet but 3 covers should be enough so I'm thinking 5/3/5 build.
  • Isay_Isay
    Isay_Isay Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Played with the loaner in the Anniversary node, Blue destroys Red tiles only. Used right next to one of HB's blue protect tiles, nothing. Loaner is 5/5/3 for reference.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    I'm impressed with his yellow, not much else though.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Isay_Isay wrote:
    Played with the loaner in the Anniversary node, Blue destroys Red tiles only. Used right next to one of HB's blue protect tiles, nothing. Loaner is 5/5/3 for reference.

Yeah, that settles it for 5/5/3 being the better build. That Blue seems to be a bit more underwhelming without a way to saturate the board with Red. Perhaps if you could pair 4* icon_cyclops.png with 3* icon_cyclops.png?
  • Confirmed his blue only destroys red special tiles. His red drains BOTH red and team up ap when you have 10 team up ap.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yep, the blue sucks. 5/5/3, easy.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    How do we know blue sucks if they're not showing it to us at 5 covers?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    How do we know blue sucks if they're not showing it to us at 5 covers?

Agreed. Even if the blue 'sucks,' you're giving up 1900 damage to add a turn to a countdown and get one more AP per TU match. That seems like a terrible tradeoff.

Phrased another way: Blue sucks at 3, might be good at 5, and yellow should still be good at 3. So 5/3/5 still looks like an easy argument.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Counter-argument: Yellow is always useful -- unless you pair Cyclops with C.Mags, there's always team-ups on the board. Blue is only useful when there's a bunch of red basic or enemy special tiles clustered close (or close-ish at level 5) together. Level up the powers you use often, not the ones you use rarely.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Isay_Isay wrote:

Yeah his Blue is so underwhleming that I assumed I was using it wrong. It feels like a bad 2* ability.

And by all means if I am misunderstanding it or not using it properly, I'm willing to learn.
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    I think people are underestimating blue big time. 5x5 grid is 40% of the whole board. You should be easily be able to get at least 4 reds with it + the targeted tile making it essentially a 3 ap move for 3k dmg. Add possible cascades for extra potential. The loaner you can play with only has 3 covers so of course it seems weak.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Okay guys, give me a little bit and I will try to get a Cyclops with 5 covers in blue video out today. Might not be able to upload it until tomorrow though.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    notamutant wrote:
    Okay guys, give me a little bit and I will try to get a Cyclops with 5 covers in blue video out today. Might not be able to upload it until tomorrow though.

Thanks for doing those, NAM! They're always informative and helpful.
  • notamutant
    notamutant wrote:

Thanks for doing those, NAM! They're always informative and helpful.

There is a glitch in blue. I destroyed 7 red tiles and got 14 red AP. I had yellow out at the time, not sure if that impacted it. Videos currently being processed. Just check my youtube page because I don't think I will be around to post when it actually is uploaded. The analysis video is currently being uploaded, the video of blue being used is still processing.

https://youtu.be/IEgE-F7d154
  • notamutant
    https://youtu.be/ZN-gsQ39dFY

Here, this is the video with blue at 5 covers with the glitch.
  • notamutant
    Tested blue again without yellow out, it is currently glitched and giving 2 red AP per tile destroyed when I use blue at 5 covers. Sorry for those that wanted this glitch to remain hidden. This is definitely way OP if they don't fix it.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yep, the blue sucks
    notamutant wrote:
    Tested blue... This is definitely way OP
    Glad we could all agree...