4* Deadpool Daily play discussion - advice and strategy

Options

Comments

• Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Beat it after all! +2 Black/Green, +2 all, +100% all damage, whittled the AI down with a couple XFs thanks to some nice boards that led to at least one green match-4, one SS for maybe 1K+ damage, one Recovery, and somehow denying it red for almost the entire match till the end, where on three of its turns made a red match but never once threw an Optic Blast at me.

TLDR be very very lucky.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Rhycar wrote:
    XFW is my top 4* at 5/3/4 lvl 250. And yes, I ended up winning on my 7th try, and yes, I got very lucky with back-to-back match-5 cascades. But man, this wasn't fun at all. This was like a chore. There was no sense of achievement or accomplishment, just gratitude that my lucky board came in and I was finally done with it.

And that, beyond anything else, is my big problem with this. It's no fun. It's tedious paint-by-numbers work. You have to follow one and only one strategy (deny deny deny) to have a chance, and that only comes through if you also get a good board. Be honest, is anybody actually looking forward to doing this again in five days? I'm certainly not.

It's been said elsewhere, but something like Growth Industry would have been much better model for implementing this. How about an eight-wave node with scaling enemies? You lose, but you learn, and you can adapt your strategy and start again. There would be myriad of little tricks and riddles to figure out, and the sense of accomplishment you'd get after finally beating it would be amazing. As it is? Horray, I got a legendary token basically by luck of the draw. That's not going to cut it for long.

Completely. I think that is another reason why, despite passing, I'm so down on this. There really is no puzzle to one hit kill Cyclops. Match red, and wait for a cascade to happen. Whoever gets it wins.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Adding my voice to the general chorus of disapproval. I was under the impression that this would be possible, albeit difficult, with low covered 4*s. I was hopeful before but now I'm disappointed. I think I would only ever win through blind luck and not because I had a set of tools and could try and figure out a solution to the problem.

I thought the idea was to introduce more 4* covers into the eco-system. If that is the intent then I think it's poorly designed. On the other hand it may be functioning as expected and I just misunderstood the intention.

Tl;dr disappointed. icon_e_sad.gif
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Got to love all the "l2p, noob" -style comments from people who beat the node with a 270 XFW. Such an achievement! So much skill! icon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gif

Here's what I don't get. There's all over this thread saying they beat it with level 130, 140, 150 X-Forces. I have a level 270, yet I don't pretend it's easy.

I give advice and then one of two things happens:
    1. Some complain I'm an idiot and have it too easy with my 270. I'm obviously dumb because this node is impossible with a non-maxed Force.

Or

2. Some people take advice well, try again, and beat it.

LOTS of people are posting up and down this thread that are beating it with X-Force less than 150. If you want to ignore them and keep saying it's impossible, fine. But don't complain about it here, when it's obviously not impossible. Difficult, yes. Not impossible. If you don't want to try to improve to figure it out, then enjoy life only playing DDQ and never working your way into the top tier of this game.

There's not a single person in this game who has a 4* roster from complaining and getting the devs to make the game easier. They either paid money, or played hard/smart.

One of the keys to success in this game is getting passed the "I can't do it" mentality.
  • Sullstar
    Sullstar Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Options
    I like the idea of this 1v1 and I think some will be possible with only mid-level 4*s, I just can't get over the fact you chose the best stand alone 3* in the game and still boosted him to 270.
    I remember back when this was first hinted at when the spoiler thread was open, Turul hinted at something about Daken being Wolvie's antithesis for it
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    Got to love all the "l2p, noob" -style comments from people who beat the node with a 270 XFW. Such an achievement! So much skill! icon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gif

Here's what I don't get. There's all over this thread saying they beat it with level 130, 140, 150 X-Forces. I have a level 270, yet I don't pretend it's easy.

I give advice and then one of two things happens:
    1. Some complain I'm an idiot and have it too easy with my 270. I'm obviously dumb because this node is impossible with a non-maxed Force.

Or

2. Some people take advice well, try again, and beat it.

LOTS of people are posting up and down this thread that are beating it with X-Force less than 150. If you want to ignore them and keep saying it's impossible, fine. But don't complain about it here, when it's obviously not impossible. Difficult, yes. Not impossible. If you don't want to try to improve to figure it out, then enjoy life only playing DDQ and never working your way into the top tier of this game.

There's not a single person in this game who has a 4* roster from complaining and getting the devs to make the game easier. They either paid money, or played hard/smart.

One of the keys to success in this game is getting passed the "I can't do it" mentality.
    If you give out helpful advice, my comment wasn't aimed at you. If you (generic 'you') won the node with a lvl 130 XFW, my comment wasn't aimed at you.

Finally, personally, I don't own XFW so it's not sour grapes on my part. Had it been a lvl 1 Cyc I couldn't have beaten him. I was honestly genuinely amused at the Internet tough guys.
  • Sullstar wrote:
    I like the idea of this 1v1 and I think some will be possible with only mid-level 4*s, I just can't get over the fact you chose the best stand alone 3* in the game and still boosted him to 270.
    I remember back when this was first hinted at when the spoiler thread was open, Turul hinted at something about Daken being Wolvie's antithesis for it

Daken is referred to in the mission text, but nothing was said that Daken would actually be XFW's opponent. I think its just part of the movie reference, between that and the title.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Okay, I did it... with the megabuffing (100% damage, +2 g/b, +2 all) suggested above. Still took 2 tries....

What a PITA, though. Geez louise....
  • It's obviously not impossible, it just requires a tremendous amount of luck for 5 or 6 covers, especially depending on the covers. It's laughable that anyone thinks strategy is involved to any serious degree. It's a match 3 game. Playing optimally is trivial.

People are upset (I'm not so much upset as I think it's a bad, bad idea which could seriously impact the longevity of the game for me) because the path to 4 stars doesn't seem very viable for casuals. It's not about being top tier, it's about having the carrot dangled close enough that it's an actual incentive. The ftp model is built on this. You've got your elites, your regular casuals, and the ultra casuals. And right now the game is getting pretty stale for regular casuals because there's a pretty big wall to meaningful progression. Maxing your first few three stars is pretty sweet. Maxing random 3 star number 15 is much less so while you wait for 4 stars to trickle down to you.

Yes, I do not want to work hard for 4 stars. It's superhero bejeweled. It's a really great time waster. I'm not entilted to 4 stars, but if they want me to keep playing and paying then the carrot has to move closer. We thought this was gonna be it. It isn't.

The progression treadmill has to move. I don't care where I am in relation to the hardcore players. I care that my own progression is stagnating. Yes, I could take the next step, but I'm not going to because I have better things to do than obsess over bejeweled. I like MPQ for what is, a mindless timewaster with a sweet IP attached. In fact, I really, really like it for that. Enough that I registered an account today to say, please do better.
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The only issue I have with this is Team Ups - either let us use ours (just 1 if you want to even things out) or don't let the AI use theirs.

We were told the fight would be brutal - so when I saw a 270 Cyclops, I didn't have an issue with that. As others have said, it's supposed to be hard. It took me 4 times and lots of boosts as I stated earlier, but I don't have a problem with that. Just the Team Up issue.
  • Zxela404
    Options
    Finally managed to beat Cyclops after 30+ tries...lucked out with cascades near the end. I had a 3/3/2 X-Force, btw.

Best part though? I debated holding onto the Token, but I figured "Nah, I earned this, let's do it." Pull a Green Invisible Woman. I think "Oh no...wait a second..." Go to my roster to confirm.

It's the only 4-star cover color that I have maxed out.

Literally only a 2.6% of me getting a cover I can't use, and I get it...

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • Took me a while but I managed to beat it with an a 170 Wolverine, didn't want to waste ISO to level him.

Don't over-react if you can't beat this. They started off with the first 4* since most people will have him covered. Next is Nick Fury. They won't get to Mr. Fantastic anytime soon, I think they are cycling through the older 4* since most people will have them.

Also, Cyclops is one of the best characters in the game, this was just unfortunate. If they had you fighting Ragnarok, Beast, or someone else, I'm sure people wouldn't be that upset since they won't have that much of an issue.

Lastly, either allow players to use Team Ups, or disable them from the opponent to make it a true 1v1. Pretty sure they don't allow team ups because of Whales, but I don't see that being an issue.

Good luck all!
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sweet Christmas! I finally beat this node on my 19th try. In case it helps anyone else, this was my strategy:
    My Wolverine: 4/1/3, level 172

Boosts:
    +2 Green and Black AP
    + 100% match damage
    + 125% critical damage

I focused on denying red, then black, then team-UP AP. Of course, the real strategy in this vicious fight with a poorly covered Wolverine is "have a good board". The RNG was kind to me on "Take 19", and opened with a board with a nice juicy match-5 black and not much red. It was a close call, as he'd managed to net 9 red AP by the time I had him down to 6,000 or so. Thankfully I had a few lucky cascades, and the critical bonuses really laid on the heat.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think I'm up to about 30+ attempts with my lvl 127 222 now. Without max all colours match damage, it is really difficult to get anywhere and there is no way I can afford the 100HP on these boosts to keep trying. Denying red means I'm dealing way under 50 damage, and even with a heaps of red tiles, the SS only deal a few thousands in damage. I think you need at least 3 covers in black or yellow (read an earlier post that some else won with yellow match damage) to have a chance. The lowest I got cyclops down to was about 6k (several times when I still had the boosts), plenty in the 9-10k range but more than half the time it's cascades into red/black and one shot before I even get enough black.

I do have 2800HP in the bank, and the thought of buying an extra black/yellow cover did cross my mind. But I doubt, that would make any difference without the all colours match damage boosts. I think I'l just have to settle with tokens from the pve progression rewards...
  • dswan3rd
    dswan3rd Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm sure similar strategies have been posted, but in case someone is reading this late and wants to know what steps someone took to get lucky...

My XF is 1/5/1 - this weird cover distribution kinda helps here since SS is fully covered - and 156. I used different combinations of boosts but the most effective seemed to be +2 G/B, +2 Rainbow, +100% Rainbow Damage (I had tried to focus on B/G match damage on my first two attempts). Since the matchup is supposed to be rivals, I'm already dreading the 270 Hulk destroying my undercovered IMHB...lol...
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I've been playing this game since the beginning and this has been the single most disappointing/frustrating experience. My X-Force is 5-5-3, level 162 so I expected to beat this node without that much trouble.

I only tried three times. After that I felt this node is a scam to get people into buying health packs and boosts in a pathetic attempt to win a match that is essentially unbeatable without some massive lucky cascades.

There are many aggravating things with this node:

1.- You need a fully covered toon to have a legitimate shot. Defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

2.- You can't bring team-ups. I don't have a problem with that on principle. My problem is that it renders the team-up AP on the board totally useless to you, but useful for the AI that gets one team-up.

3.- Starting board. On all my my three attempts it was flooded with blue and purple. You don't even get the advantage of a board full of green or the possibilities of a board full of yellow or black and let the best matches fire the first power.

4.- One-on-one match deprives the game of most of the strategy element. It's simply a colour race, not a game of sinergy and resource management.

So, a huge disappointment. I was excited when this was announced but this is one big "**** you" for most of players. One has to wonder how this was tested before release and how on earth the devs fine-tuned it until they thought that this was a good, challenging but doable node to help a four star transition.

Cynical me thinks that the goal is to lure players into buying health packs and boosts since it's clear that you'll eventually beat the node out of pure luck if you keep trying.

I still have to make a push in women of Marvel and a grind to do in the PVE. Whatever health packs are left after that will go into this **** of a node. I won't waste ISO to level my X-Force nor other resources into this ****.

Just get rid of this entirely and bring the Ant-man challenge instead. That was a good, hard, but doable thing. Force players to complete it in one day and you'll have a good thing going for the four star transition.
  • yeah, I dont care how you try to sugarcoat it... this is nonsense!

As many have said... Required 4*, ok. Hard challenge, fine. An extra limitation, hmm ok. BUT...

Required Unboosted 4* + No allies at all (not even exclusively 4*s) + No TUs + Fully Maxed Fully Boosted Top Tier 3* Boss WITH TU = OVERKILL!

Seriously, this is just ridiculous. Requirements / limitations MUST be lowered.

D3 deserves the fecaltstorm.

Wont waste boosts...
  • Electrovirus
    Electrovirus Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Options
    It took luck and brute force to win this match, but I finally did it. Here is how;

My level 166 4/4/1 X-Force had lost twice in a row. I waited a couple hours, spent the Iso, and brought him up to level 175. It took four more tries, and I was getting close and figuring out what was working for me, I kept being taken out by his red and black moves, but I won by using 2 crit, 2 power, and +2 green/black boosts, matching red and black at all cost, then green. Since I was taking a lot of the red tiles Cyclops was matching yellows, and when he used Mutant Revolutionary he wasn't matching reds partly because I was taking them. That let me use Surgical Strike on him for good damage. I got a crit or two from cascades with favourable placement on Wolverines X-Force attack. I kept checking his AP and trying not to make a move that would end up letting him match red or black and at victory he had 3 red AP, 12 black, and a bunch of blue and purple. I didn't worry about him using the TU on me, just his blasts.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The only piece of advice and strategy worthy: If the match is not going your way, retreat, prologue heal and try again.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,303 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You know, I'm usually the guy to support most of what Demiurge does and to roll my eyes when people complain about difficulty, but in this case I think I'll join the other chorus. It took me 9 tries with my 200 level 3/5/5 X-Force, always boosting. I'd say that I was particularly unlucky, as Cyclops was managing 10 red via cheaty-feeling cascades by turn 4 in average. The most unfair thing in my opinion was the fact that you don't get a TU (kind of understandable, because Whales) but the opponent gets one, tailored to its needs. So you not only need to deny Red, Yellow and Black, but also TU matches... too many times when I thought the game was in my favour, or that I could finish it in a couple turns, Cyclops comboed Mjolnir's Might into Mutant Revolutionary into 10+ red for an immediate end to the game. Anyway, when I eventually got it, I got Carnage's Green... one of the 9 (out of 45) 4* covers I have maxed.... sigh.

So, is it feasible? yes. Is it fair? No, and I'm saying this as precisely the kind of player this feature is aimed to: I have finished my 3* transition a while ago and I'm on my way into 4* transition. I have and average of 3-7 covers per 4*. Level 200 X-Force is my highest levelled 4* while the others are somewhere between 120 and 150 (I just don't have the Iso). For me, beating this node represented a massive investment of resources for what ended being a gamble.... and that was with my most capable character! Moreover, the better I get at dealing with these nodes (i.e. as my 4*s improve in other ways), the more likely that the gamble will fizzle, giving me something that I already have.

All that, coupled with how uninteractive, strategy-lacking, and luck-reliant the node is, make of the feature less of a playable chance of improving your roster and more of a gate: "Do you have the well-covered, highly levelled 4* we're asking for? Here's your 5% chance at opening SS and 95% chance of opening something that you most likely already have, since you fulfilled the initial requirement."