4* Deadpool Daily play discussion - advice and strategy

Options

Comments

• Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Since this is now an advice thread: The secret to happiness is low expectations.
  • louisng114
    louisng114 Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I beat Cyclops with my 1/3/1 by using the black/green stockpile, the all stockpile, and the all matching bonus. I prioritized matching black, red, and yellow.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The strategy is obvious, if you have the covers to pull it off. All the back AP in world isn't going to make my 2/0/5 Wolvie win this match. I tried to Recovery Cyclops to death, to no avail.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,315 Site Admin
    Options
    brisashi wrote:
    Changing the title of this topic really alters the message players are trying to send to the devs.
    Not really. We've got people reading these threads regardless of what they're named.
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    brisashi wrote:
    Changing the title of this topic really alters the message players are trying to send to the devs.
    Not really. We've got people reading these threads regardless of what they're named.

Hey that's cool to know. But I guarantee I havn't been reading all 13 pages of this thread.... When topics get too big it really just becomes a flame fest for two or three people. There is no way you can maintain 2 or 3 different conversations at once in one tread... that's why we have the ability to have multiple threads!

Maybe you should have made a temp board for all the DDQ threads to be present at once? All the Rage in one board! Good times!
  • Sendikelm
    Sendikelm Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options
    I won on second attempt with X-Force lvl 131 1/3/2 and full damage boost.
    Very lucky - manage to use SS two times after Cyke's yellow.
    And got another yellow X-Force from token.
  • scottee wrote:
    I only read a couple pages. But I'm hopeful these 4* boss battles will teach players how to play better. This game really hasn't had a real boss battle before. Beat a boss in a older Puzzle Quest game and you'll understand better.

I really wish this was true - but it's not. I can spend the entire match trying to deny my opponent (Cyclops) red, yellow and black, but he will ultimately match 3 pink and run a cascade into those colors he needs no matter what I do. I have 12 maxed out *** and I still get hammered everytime I play normal PvP matches because the CPU comes up with a ridiculous amount of cascades vs the 1 or 2 I get - this happens to me CONSTANTLY. If I am going to beat Cyclops I will need a serious amount of luck with my 5/1/2 110 XFW.

I am over 500 days played and I have spent a few hundred dollars on this game. The DDQ was a great idea implemented in a way that a solid 2* roster can begin to acquire 3* characters. It has been a slow grind but at least it has been relatively doable. I feel like every day I have a chance at some ISO and a cover that I need - I am progressing.

4* progression is non-existent. As I said, I have 12 maxed 3* characters and yet I have little chance at 1000 in PvP - last night I climbed to 750 the Women PvP only to find that underneath I got attacked 4 times. The last 250 will be a fight that I refuse to waste my time trying to climb. It will require shields which ultimately means money spent. I have supported this game enough over the last 2 years.

This new model for 4* will NOT allow decent three star rosters to progress into 4* in any way shape or form. It will force the user base to buy more healthpacks as we waste our time trying to beat opponents we can't beat. The only improvement the company has added that helped the players was DDQ - the rest have all been driven by the money it can generate - after a couple hundred dollars spent, I would like to think I have done my part and could expect a little more help to progress into 4* territory.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    CybrGamr wrote:
    scottee wrote:
    I only read a couple pages. But I'm hopeful these 4* boss battles will teach players how to play better. This game really hasn't had a real boss battle before. Beat a boss in a older Puzzle Quest game and you'll understand better.

I really wish this was true - but it's not. I can spend the entire match trying to deny my opponent (Cyclops) red, yellow and black, but he will ultimately match 3 pink and run a cascade into those colors he needs no matter what I do. I have 12 maxed out *** and I still get hammered everytime I play normal PvP matches because the CPU comes up with a ridiculous amount of cascades vs the 1 or 2 I get - this happens to me CONSTANTLY. If I am going to beat Cyclops I will need a serious amount of luck with my 5/1/2 110 XFW.

I am over 500 days played and I have spent a few hundred dollars on this game. The DDQ was a great idea implemented in a way that a solid 2* roster can begin to acquire 3* characters. It has been a slow grind but at least it has been relatively doable. I feel like every day I have a chance at some ISO and a cover that I need - I am progressing.

4* progression is non-existent. As I said, I have 12 maxed 3* characters and yet I have little chance at 1000 in PvP - last night I climbed to 750 the Women PvP only to find that underneath I got attacked 4 times. The last 250 will be a fight that I refuse to waste my time trying to climb. It will require shields which ultimately means money spent. I have supported this game enough over the last 2 years.

This new model for 4* will NOT allow decent three star rosters to progress into 4* in any way shape or form. It will force the user base to buy more healthpacks as we waste our time trying to beat opponents we can't beat. The only improvement the company has added that helped the players was DDQ - the rest have all been driven by the money it can generate - after a couple hundred dollars spent, I would like to think I have done my part and could expect a little more help to progress into 4* territory.

I had the same issue.. not many 3*s left to even work on.. couldn't hit 1k to begin my 4* transition in earnest.. then .. well, i just asked for help.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30912

now i can hit 1k any time i feel like it, Blue Shift i did something i had never done before.. broke 900 on my climb and hit 1k on a single hop.. so for 75hp i got hundreds of HP and a 4* cover and loads of iso..

If you have a beefed 3* roster, that 1k is not as hard as it seems.. Read through the link i just posted ^ .. the frustration almost killed me and made me quit.. but then it all just clicked one day.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Even devs recognized that a 4* needs 8-10 covers to be better than a maxed 3*. Why not just put a 166 instead of a 270?

There are a slew of ways they could make it better. That is one.

Another would be to make it not 1 on 1. That seems more in line with what made DDQ great to begin with. You need a character to play, but if you're actually trying to transition, you can use your characters you do have from the previous tiers to help get through. It wasn't just about a lone undercovered 3* trying to get through. 2* rosters could build 3*s. Despite having since developed a good 3* roster, I still use 2* obw in the big enchilada every day.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    brisashi wrote:

Lol no.

It also obfuscates where the **** you posted 5 hours ago when you come back to read replies.

Pull the other one. It's got bells on it.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DFiPL wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    brisashi wrote:

Lol no.

It also obfuscates where the tinykitty you posted 5 hours ago when you come back to read replies.

If you're not going to take a dev's word for it that they're actually reading your posts on here, what's the point in posting at all?

I'm not going to deny that they still have a lot of work cut out for them as far as communication is concerned (although the way they handled the 5* announcement was a step in the right direction), but if you're not going to believe them, what's the point in even attempting to communicate at all?
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    How much damage does Optic Blast do here? My 143 XFW (4/1/4) gets one-shotted, and I'm trying to scratch out more ISO to level him up more.
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    SUCCESS!

Level 147 X-Force 3/2/2

Boosts:

+2 greentile.pngblacktile.png
    +2 yellowtile.pngredtile.png
    +100% dmg all

I managed to get an epic cascade of crit into crit to gain me enough for a green, then it was all deny black/red/yellow until I could X-Force. Still close, but two heals during helped a ton.

What a rush.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Optic blast does a little under 7000 damage in this node.

As for the transition into 4* land, one of the best bits of advice that I can give is "grind your **** off in any new character release pve'. If you're able to hit top 20 or top 10, those extra covers (and one more if you're in a good alliance, or are mercing for one if your score is high enough) give you a good start on any 4*.

My other point of advice would be to pick one or two characters that you really want and focus on those in pvp. As a F2p player myself, spending more than 150 HP on shields every pvp isn't an option. So I would basically pick one or two 4*s I really wanted, and when those were offered as top placement or 1300 progression reward, I would go for it, and that approach has worked really well for me so far (and I'm actually a bit bummed out about Legendary tokens replacing the specific 1300 rewards, because that does make it harder for me to concentrate on specific 4*s.)
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    How much damage does Optic Blast do here? My 143 XFW (4/1/4) gets one-shotted, and I'm trying to scratch out more ISO to level him up more.

Black is 9181 + 3892.

Have fun! icon_e_biggrin.gif

icon_mad.gif

That means anything under level 168 is down in one turn. >=(
  • Well, I like that this is now a strategy thread. That's helpful. I've been really enjoying all the pro-strats in this thread. Since the only midly interesting tactical choice in the game of comboing powers has been removed for this event, it really opens up the strategy discussion. I was interested to learn that I should avoid letting the AI get the colors he needs to one shot me, and that boosts are helpful.

Seriously guys, it's a match 3 game. It's slightly more taxing than tic-tac-toe.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Got to love all the "l2p, noob" -style comments from people who beat the node with a 270 XFW. Such an achievement! So much skill! icon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gif
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Using +2 g/b +100% all dmg and +50% g/b dmg

3/4/3 xforce level 130 (I know I could level him higher, but don't have much iso to burn and it doesn't seem to matter. Either I'll get lucky or I won't.)

Attempts & amount of cyc health left when I wipe

1. 4k
    2. 9k
    3. 11k (lol)

Having to prioritize red hurts a lot when there's a lot on the board and you can't gather enough black to SS them away. I think powers matter more than match dmg, switching out 100% all dmg for +2 all boost.

4. Winner winner chicken dinner! There was a key turn where the ai prioritized purple over yellow with 6 yellow in the bank. That move made the difference in the game.

Takeaways:
    1. Not going to lie, that fight was exciting.

2. This is going to be impossible for me until about 3 months from now when xforce wolvie comes up again.

3. Blocking player TUs and giving the ai one is infuriating.

4. The way initial 4* covers are given out totally goes against this format. You give the same color for T100, alliance reward, and the following pvp. This means that the small amount of people who got covers at all most likely are running a 3/0/0 at most, with the 3 covers usually being the weakest power.

Here's my other 4* characters (I'm on day 325):

Deadpool 90 4/0/0
    Sam W 86 0/3/0
    Thing 94 0/0/3
    Elektra 94 1/1/2
    Thor 94 1/2/1
    Invis 90 3/0/3
    Ant Man 90 2/0/3
    Mr Fant 90 0/2/2
    Fury 90 2/1/0
    Star Lord 90 2/0/1
    Kingpin 86 0/2/2
    Jean G 74 0/1/1
    Carnage 74 2/1/2
    Prof X 74 1/0/1
    Hulkbuster N/A
    (sadface. I wasn't in a good alliance in that ultron event, big mistake and I found a good one right after. Hit 1k in the last 10 pvps except the ones where he was the reward.)

4. The unknown: consider that maybe the devs ratcheted up the difficulty on this one because xforce is so old and well covered by so many.

5. The legendary token. I think this was a mistake. They have to make the fight really hard because you might just get a silver surfer out of the win. If they just made it like the 3* where the required character was also the reward character they could bring down the difficulty a bit.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Der_Lex wrote:
    DFiPL wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    brisashi wrote:

Lol no.

It also obfuscates where the tinykitty you posted 5 hours ago when you come back to read replies.

If you're not going to take a dev's word for it that they're actually reading your posts on here, what's the point in posting at all?

It isn't about whether they're reading or not. The point was made that merging the threads and renaming them to make them sound happy and innocuous changes the message. It changes what the community appears to the casual observer to be trying to say, and it makes the devs seem really **** tone deaf.

Okay yay they're reading but it's pretty clear also that they're looking for what they want to hear rather than engaging the source of the community's anger at that source.

And, as I said, if you post and then go to work for five hours and then come back to see responses, the reaction is wait where'd it go?

There is a difference between reading and hearing. You have to read the message if you want to manage it and spin it just the same as if you agree there's a problem and are soliciting feedback. The fact that the devs are reading doesn't say word one about whether they recognize the nature of and reasons for the backlash.

The merging and renaming of threads, on the other hand...well, actions speak louder than words, y'know? The actions so far seem intended to sow confusion amongst the revolt and make the uproar look less of an issue than it is, rather than going "wow, it's clear we screwed up; how can we fix this?"
  • Rhycar
    Rhycar Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    Options
    XFW is my top 4* at 5/3/4 lvl 250. And yes, I ended up winning on my 7th try, and yes, I got very lucky with back-to-back match-5 cascades. But man, this wasn't fun at all. This was like a chore. There was no sense of achievement or accomplishment, just gratitude that my lucky board came in and I was finally done with it.

And that, beyond anything else, is my big problem with this. It's no fun. It's tedious paint-by-numbers work. You have to follow one and only one strategy (deny deny deny) to have a chance, and that only comes through if you also get a good board. Be honest, is anybody actually looking forward to doing this again in five days? I'm certainly not.

It's been said elsewhere, but something like Growth Industry would have been a much better model for implementing this. How about an eight-wave node with scaling enemies? You lose, but you learn, and you can adapt your strategy and start again. There would be myriad of little tricks and riddles to figure out, and the sense of accomplishment you'd get after finally beating it would be amazing. As it is? Horray, I got a legendary token basically by luck of the draw. That's not going to cut it for long.