** Hawkeye (Modern) **

Options

Comments

• Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    atomzed wrote:
    Kelbris wrote:
    FINALLY, there's a power that rewards me for being able to play 3 moves ahead.

Hawkeye/Hulk/Thor was the most fun I've had in a while. I forget which PvE Hawkeye was buffed in, but it was great. Having a countdown on EVERY purple really screwed with mooks.

I'm totally on board for a 3* "Lazy" Hawkeye (or whatever gross looking amalgam the forum will dub him with; let's hope for Cockeye). 2* just doesn't have enough HP to be viable with my 166's.

I need speed shot. Give it to me.

Great job on that, devs.

Agree, SS is a great passive. Whenever I faced a 2* team with him in it, I would target him first. Cos the AI is great at getting match 5, and it hurts when the SS activated

Great? the AI doesn't even know how to match a L shape one, it always goes for a match 4 instead
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, but it has a knack for cascades that end in "Extra Turn!"
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options
    Yup, getting to try it out with GSBW's pink was a lot of fun in the recent PVE
  • It certainly isn't my favorite ability by any stretch, but I agree that it was a strong addition by the dev's. I also think it's great to see people in the forum giving credit where it is due.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'll clarify.

It's great if you have characters that can help you make match 5's or if you play carefully to try your best to make them (which even then doesn't always happen) and probably not amazing when the AI plays it.

So, selectively fantastic but still, overall, better than it's replacement.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    2* Magneto/2* Hawkeye is my go to PvE clearer and who I use in early matches of PvP. Most games are over stupid fast.
  • Rusalka
    Rusalka Posts: 155
    Options
    Haven't had a chance to use it much myself, but this morning I was playing against what should've been a fairly easy team (loaner She-Hulk, underleveled Lazy Cap, maxed mHawkeye) when the AI got an enormous cascade giving it four match-fives all at once. Suddenly, not only was my team badly damaged from all the critical tiles, not only did the AI team have all its powers charged, but the board was absolutely covered in Speed Shot tiles dealing over 900 pts each. I only managed to get rid of about a third of them in the next two turns, and then down I went. It was pretty impressive.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Avoid is a tumor in comparison to the awesomeness that is Speed Shot. The old move will not be missed.

Spider-Man deserved that ability as Spider Sense. Truly. If maxed, he ought to riposte equal to his highest strength tile in match dmg.
  • I've been playing a bit around and I hate to say it but... he isn't that good with Stormneto unless you're in Balance of Power. In fact, he is a trap character, you think he is helping you while he wipes you on node you should win. Crazy? Let me explain.
    His strength depends on what difficulty node you are attempting. Nodes at level 100 and less? He hardly helps, Storm wipes them easily. Nodes at 200-300 where single special ends character? His Speedshots won't be doing that much and may hurt you. Nodes between them? Perfect... but is that worth a slot and Iso?

Wait, but how he is not helpful on those super duper high nodes? He doesn't generate AP from purpletile.png. That's it. Why is that problem? Well, when attempting those high-high nodes, goons in them tends to have shitton of health. In first Root and Groot event, last nodes had combined 50-60k of hp to chew through. Maggia nodes aren't much better. When you're dealing with fatties, a guy sitting in the back going *pew pew* doesn't help much, but more importantly, he takes some of Purple out of board. On games where consistency is key. You need every purpletile.png, greentile.png , redtile.png to keep shaking that board. You just made 8k damage with 2 Speedshots? Nice job. But he still have another 8k health to go. His CD is about to go off. And you are missing purpletile.png to clear/stun him now. Here goes your 3 health packs.

With Stormneto I would rather use oBW if there is any purpletile.png generators in there (+ bonus damage on blacktile.png matches) or any character with usable yellowtile.png / blacktile.png. BP is fun as he covers both. 2* Marvel could work, even w/o levels, for extra stun and last-ditch effort for cascade. Even Yelena/Moonstone, two Bagladies, may use their blacks later in match for finish it faster. And I'm sure some partially covered 3*+ would work too, 1 blacktile.png XForce have its merits.

Now one exception to this is when you have Villain+2 Goons node that are all high level. Because villains usually have less health than fatty goons, it might be worthwhile speedshotting villain down to prevent them from getting move after stun expires. Is that alone worth his cost? I'm not sure...

And I'm changing my view on build. If you use him with Magneto, you want 3 redtile.png /5 bluetile.png 5/ purpletile.png. Magneto Red is too damn good, while his Blue is terrible. You want Storm to use Blue, but in case you can't use her or she goes down, you need a better Blue outlet. If you aren't using Hawkeye with Magneto... why are you using Hawkeye in first place? Oh, it's that super specific heroic with him as one of few available heroes? I don't think you should spec char based on such marginal cases.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Nivrax wrote:
    I've been playing a bit around and I hate to say it but... he isn't that good with Stormneto unless you're in Balance of Power. In fact, he is a trap character, you think he is helping you while he wipes you on node you should win. Crazy? Let me explain.
    His strength depends on what difficulty node you are attempting. Nodes at level 100 and less? He hardly helps, Storm wipes them easily. Nodes at 200-300 where single special ends character? His Speedshots won't be doing that much and may hurt you. Nodes between them? Perfect... but is that worth a slot and Iso?

Wait, but how he is not helpful on those super duper high nodes? He doesn't generate AP from purpletile.png. That's it. Why is that problem? Well, when attempting those high-high nodes, goons in them tends to have tinykitty of health. In first Root and Groot event, last nodes had combined 50-60k of hp to chew through. Maggia nodes aren't much better. When you're dealing with fatties, a guy sitting in the back going *pew pew* doesn't help much, but more importantly, he takes some of Purple out of board. On games where consistency is key. You need every purpletile.png, greentile.png , redtile.png to keep shaking that board. You just made 8k damage with 2 Speedshots? Nice job. But he still have another 8k health to go. His CD is about to go off. And you are missing purpletile.png to clear/stun him now. Here goes your 3 health packs.

With Stormneto I would rather use oBW if there is any purpletile.png generators in there (+ bonus damage on blacktile.png matches) or any character with usable yellowtile.png / blacktile.png. BP is fun as he covers both. 2* Marvel could work, even w/o levels, for extra stun and last-ditch effort for cascade. Even Yelena/Moonstone, two Bagladies, may use their blacks later in match for finish it faster. And I'm sure some partially covered 3*+ would work too, 1 blacktile.png XForce have its merits.

Now one exception to this is when you have Villain+2 Goons node that are all high level. Because villains usually have less health than fatty goons, it might be worthwhile speedshotting villain down to prevent them from getting move after stun expires. Is that alone worth his cost? I'm not sure...

And I'm changing my view on build. If you use him with Magneto, you want 3 redtile.png /5 bluetile.png 5/ purpletile.png. Magneto Red is too damn good, while his Blue is terrible. You want Storm to use Blue, but in case you can't use her or she goes down, you need a better Blue outlet. If you aren't using Hawkeye with Magneto... why are you using Hawkeye in first place? Oh, it's that super specific heroic with him as one of few available heroes? I don't think you should spec char based on such marginal cases.
    If you have maxed 3*, I'd generally agree that Hawkguy probably isn't worth running on that team due to 166/270 scaling pumping up enemy HP levels. It's more important to maintain a stunlock (and purple AP) at that point.

However, if you are capped lower, then Speedshot damage is really nice, especially when he's boosted. Typically then you don't need more than one combo to finish a battle, and a quicker finish usually means less HP burned in random damage from a longer match.

Also, Speedshot is super fun.
  • Despite his buff, Hawkeye is just too conditional. He's a support - support character. His other arrows are still too slow, and his best power drains Pink from the board, making pairings with MNMags or Mystique worse. If you happen to have a 5 on the board from the get go, Hawkeye destroying those Pink tiles makes sure you won't have enough for a Polarity Shift for at least 10 more turns. He is occasionally useful when boosted in PVE, but otherwise I find myself using other chars instead. With MNMags/CStorm, Thor or Ares tend to be more useful and more reliable. I'd rather use Iron Hammer than Hawkeye's Blue, as Iron Hammer can at least clear parts of the board and bring more Pink in.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    Despite his buff, Hawkeye is just too conditional. He's a support - support character. His other arrows are still too slow, and his best power drains Pink from the board, making pairings with MNMags or Mystique worse. If you happen to have a 5 on the board from the get go, Hawkeye destroying those Pink tiles makes sure you won't have enough for a Polarity Shift for at least 10 more turns. He is occasionally useful when boosted in PVE, but otherwise I find myself using other chars instead. With MNMags/CStorm, Thor or Ares tend to be more useful and more reliable. I'd rather use Iron Hammer than Hawkeye's Blue, as Iron Hammer can at least clear parts of the board and bring more Pink in.

I agree with him being slow. I would have like it had they also added initial damage, I mean in theory he's shooting you with an arrow, then the device goes off either stunning or damage the whole team. It would have been nice if red or blue did a few hundred dmage on use.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    Despite his buff, Hawkeye is just too conditional. He's a support - support character. His other arrows are still too slow, and his best power drains Pink from the board, making pairings with MNMags or Mystique worse. If you happen to have a 5 on the board from the get go, Hawkeye destroying those Pink tiles makes sure you won't have enough for a Polarity Shift for at least 10 more turns. He is occasionally useful when boosted in PVE, but otherwise I find myself using other chars instead. With MNMags/CStorm, Thor or Ares tend to be more useful and more reliable. I'd rather use Iron Hammer than Hawkeye's Blue, as Iron Hammer can at least clear parts of the board and bring more Pink in.

I agree with him being slow. I would have like it had they also added initial damage, I mean in theory he's shooting you with an arrow, then the device goes off either stunning or damage the whole team. It would have been nice if red or blue did a few hundred dmage on use.
    I just imagine he's shooting arrosws into the air so they take a high parabolic arc to hit enemies. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Would be nice if Modern Hawkeye's Speed Shots carried over into the next wave of enemies on wave nodes like those in Enemy of the State. I had 7 Speed Shot tiles countdown but only one 1000 hp enemy left. One tile's effect downed him and 6 of the tiles were just voided as the turn ended and the next wave came in.
  • Amps00 wrote:
    Would be nice if Modern Hawkeye's Speed Shots carried over into the next wave of enemies on wave nodes like those in Enemy of the State. I had 7 Speed Shot tiles countdown but only one 1000 hp enemy left. One tile's effect downed him and 6 of the tiles were just voided as the turn ended and the next wave came in.

The 'end of turn' is always resolved before a new wave comes in if you did something that could end your turn (usually by matching something) so there's no way to save anything for the next wave. I'm guessing this is to give the next wave a free hit in instead of just getting clobbered by a mega cascade + strike tiles. I've had 10K worth of cascade damage hitting thin air at the end of a wave too.
  • As a 2*-3* transistion'er, is there any point in spending ISO on this guy after the magneto nerf? I do have a 6 cover GSBW that is level 40 that I can pair with him, but IDK.
  • 2* Hawkey used to be marginally useful in complementing 2* Storm/Magneto combo with his match-5 ability. The upcoming Magneto update renders him practically worthless.
    On the other hand I find 1* Hawkey to be quite valuable. His board control abilities make him indispensable against low/mid level goons. Well I even use him against 100+ level goons but it becomes too risky because he is weak. Just one misstep and he is most likely one shot dead and the fight goes kaboom.
    So I would like to see a bulkier 2* copy of this useful 1* character. Maybe even throw in a useless third ability so he could be leveled to 94 instead of 78.
    Now when 2* Hawkey is facing to join Bagman and Bullseye in limbo that would be a good way to make him reborn.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Creating three blue tiles is still enough to create a match-5 on command. Plus the red created will fuel Blast Arrow too. The nerf here is to Storm, not Hawkeye.
  • Well, I was talking from my point of view. So far I used Hawkey only with Stormneto. After the nerf if I'm going to use this combo again I'd rather complement it with Miss Marvel for her active black and yellow than hope on Hawkey's very unreliable ability. Other than that I don't see any use for him in my current 2* roster.
  • cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with MHawkeye as-is. I admit he was most amazing with Stormneto, but anyone who creates color specific tiles or shakes the board for possible cascades still works really well with him. Thor's yellow yields several match 5's in green, Loki's purple is cheap enough if you run it 3-4 times it will get you a match 5 most of the time, both Magnetos can still produce quite a few match 5's, etc....etc...

Messing with Hawkeye isn't going to help the situation at all.