**** Jean Grey (All New X-Men) ****

Options

Comments

• Sword user
    Sword user Posts: 72
    Options
    Holy cow! Those AoE damage numbers! Unless I'm mistaken, that's a new standard for damage per AP at close to 1200 damage per AP spent for purple!
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    http://www.demiurgestudios.com/blog/mpq ... jean-grey/

This has her full stats. Personally, I don't see any reason to go 5 covers in blue. It is too random to be worth doing an extra 3k damage and stealing 3 more AP (assuming the enemy team has enough AP to steal 6) to give up the green or purple massive increases in damage. All you get from 3 to 5 covers is 3 more AP steal and double damage (1k about to 2k per person). Her purple at 4 covers is a must at least to get rid of countdown tiles. She is the most powerful anti-goon character now. Her fifth cover in purple also basically adds double damage from 3 covers, so 5 in purple is a given. Her green isn't that great compared to other greens, but considering how rarely the AI makes match 5s (they actively search for match 4s and ignore 5s unless it is impossible to make a match 4 without making a match 5), I see no reason to not go 5 covers in green.
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I challenge anyone to compare her purple to Fury's and argue there's no power creep icon_e_wink.gif
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ShionSinX wrote:

Eo2OivONf9rGskJe70fpGPw2t0iv5G74FTe6os7L74Y=w700

Man the steam Interface really looks great in those pictures, almost makes me want to get the steam version.... if they only linked acounts across all platforms.
  • Unknown
    Options
    turul wrote:
    towerds

why is there a typo?
    notamutant wrote:
    http://www.demiurgestudios.com/blog/mpq-new-character-jean-grey/

This has her full stats. Personally, I don't see any reason to go 5 covers in blue. It is too random to be worth doing an extra 3k damage and stealing 3 more AP (assuming the enemy team has enough AP to steal 6) to give up the green or purple massive increases in damage. All you get from 3 to 5 covers is 3 more AP steal and double damage (1k about to 2k per person). Her purple at 4 covers is a must at least to get rid of countdown tiles. She is the most powerful anti-goon character now. Her fifth cover in purple also basically adds double damage from 3 covers, so 5 in purple is a given. Her green isn't that great compared to other greens, but considering how rarely the AI makes match 5s (they actively search for match 4s and ignore 5s unless it is impossible to make a match 4 without making a match 5), I see no reason to not go 5 covers in green.

does she steal or destroy AP?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Everything D3 has written on the power says "destroy."

Also, while the AI does ignore L- and T-shaped match-5 opportunities, they will go for linear ones - for instance, given this setup, they'll get the crit even if there are match-4 opportunities elsewhere on the board:

tutile.pngtutile.pngredtile.pngtutile.pngtutile.png
    redtile.pngredtile.pngpurpletile.pngredtile.pngredtile.png

And how many times have you seen the AI score one or more (many more) irregular-shaped match-5s just from cascade luck? Psychic Feedback makes a very nice-looking insurance policy against those.

However, given that the difference between level 3 and level 5 in the power is 1000 team damage at max level and 3 AP destroyed (never as valuable as AP generated) I do think 5/3/5 is looking pretty good. The biggest value the blue offers is that team stun whenever they'd be getting an extra turn, and it maxes out at level 3 anyway. Not to mention that her other powers gain way more than 1000 team damage going from 3 to 5.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mind Over Matter - Cost: 10 Purple AP purpletile.png
    Jean telekinetically grabs her enemy's weapons, suspending them in mid-air before flinging them back towards her foes in a hail of projectiles. Deals 329 damage to the enemy team and converts up to 3 random enemy Strike, Protect or Attack tiles to basic tiles.

Level 2 - Deals 731 damage to the enemy team.
    Level 3 - Converts up to 4 tiles and deals 914 damage to the enemy team.
    Level 4 - Converts enemy special tiles of any type.
    Level 5 - Converts up to 6 tiles and deals 1965 damage to the enemy team.

They specify Enemy Special Tiles of any type, am i wrong to assume this will include Ultron Bombs and CD tiles since prior to 4 covers is specifies strike, protect, and attack.. also, what about traps?

Also, perfect Rainbow coverage with Cyc, looks intentional!
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree that 535 ssems like the way to go here. That purple is crazy good, and her green at 5 is essentially KK's green with 4 beefy special tiles thrown in. Since 3 blue already gets you two turns stun, that seems good enough.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Everything D3 has written on the power says "destroy."

Also, while the AI does ignore L- and T-shaped match-5 opportunities, they will go for linear ones - for instance, given this setup, they'll get the crit even if there are match-4 opportunities elsewhere on the board:

tutile.pngtutile.pngredtile.pngtutile.pngtutile.png
    redtile.pngredtile.pngpurpletile.pngredtile.pngredtile.png

And how many times have you seen the AI score one or more (many more) irregular-shaped match-5s just from cascade luck? Psychic Feedback makes a very nice-looking insurance policy against those.

However, given that the difference between level 3 and level 5 in the power is 1000 team damage at max level and 3 AP destroyed (never as valuable as AP generated) I do think 5/3/5 is looking pretty good. The biggest value the blue offers is that team stun whenever they'd be getting an extra turn, and it maxes out at level 3 anyway. Not to mention that her other powers gain way more than 1000 team damage going from 3 to 5.

I think all of her powered are very good and powerful. To piggy back on your point purple and green might only do an extra 1000 team damage, but they also get rid of enemy tiles and her green will throw out 4 bigger random tiles. Even a 180 level protect tile is a nice bonus. 4 special tiles instead of 2 compared to more ap destruction and and stun on the opponents match 5.

Overall really nice job on her D3. She is really powerful, but not crazy broken.
  • Unknown
    Options
    It's odd that they thought the best part of the power was destroying more enemy AP. Based on previous design it would have gone something like

Level 3: increase dmg, destroy 3->4 AP
    Level 4: 2 turn stun
    Level 5: increase dmg, destroy 4->6 AP

As it is now, there's no compelling reason to go more than 3 blue. Attackers are going to use line clears instead of crits. If you make a crit against her, and it's your turn, will they again have that move bug where it's still your turn though you have no unstunned characters? (Eg: used to happen if you matched old daredevil blue trap when you only had 1 unstunned guy).
  • moogles85
    moogles85 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Sword user wrote:
    Holy cow! Those AoE damage numbers! Unless I'm mistaken, that's a new standard for damage per AP at close to 1200 damage per AP spent for purple!

Purple Max Level - Jean telekinetically grabs her enemy’s weapons, suspending them in mid-air before flinging them back towards her foes in a hail of projectiles. Deals 3888 damage to the enemy team and converts up to 6 random enemy Strike, Protect or Attack tiles to basic tiles.

Definitely the cheapest AoE dmg for the cost.
    Deadpool whales is 4k dmg for 14 AP.
    KK is 3.3k dmg for 12 AP.

Jean Grey's Green at max level is better than KK too - for the same cost, it does more damage AND adds 4 attack/strike/protect tiles. But I guess that's what you get for a 4* at 270 instead of 3* at 166.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hey, i was pretty close on her green. Anyway, feels like she has an offensive build and a defensive build.

Offensively I think is 5/3/5 without question, the AI doesn't do enough match-5s to make the extra special effects worth it, the 2-stun is probably the most valuable part but you get that at 3 anyway.

Defense is trickier. 5 blue for sure, since you want to disrupt the player's playing style. 5 Purple does more damage per AP, but 5 Green tacks on via special tile. Given Colognoisseur's reasoning with Thing (previously only major green outlet in 4* land), I'm inclined to say 3/5/5 would be best.

Of course, anyone with half a brain isn't using PX if they see her on defense, so 5/3/5 is probably the best overall utility. As ruining as the blue is, you're just not gonna activate it much offensively, and the player can dodge it too easily defensively.
  • Cymmina
    Cymmina Posts: 413 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Where's our Jean Grey smiley already? :jeangrey:
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hey, i was pretty close on her green. Anyway, feels like she has an offensive build and a defensive build.

Offensively I think is 5/3/5 without question, the AI doesn't do enough match-5s to make the extra special effects worth it, the 2-stun is probably the most valuable part but you get that at 3 anyway.

Defense is trickier. 5 blue for sure, since you want to disrupt the player's playing style. 5 Purple does more damage per AP, but 5 Green tacks on via special tile. Given Colognoisseur's reasoning with Thing (previously only major green outlet in 4* land), I'm inclined to say 3/5/5 would be best.

Of course, anyone with half a brain isn't using PX if they see her on defense, so 5/3/5 is probably the best overall utility. As ruining as the blue is, you're just not gonna activate it much offensively, and the player can dodge it too easily defensively.
    Next new PVE will have Professor X as the essential character and he has to fight a 5,5,5 Jean Grey just so the Dev's can troll us. Possibly a gauntlet Node too.
  • darkmagearcanis
    Options
    After reading everyone's posts, and the abilities over and over, 3/5/5 imo is the best build. I have a feeling I will be using her more defensively than offensively.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The thing about 535 is that you can use it on both pvp and pve.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Initial impressions with paper values only:

Blue:
    Very interesting passive. I like how it has the potential to impact high end pvp play since it could deter teams that use Iron Fist or Scarlet Witch from attacking you. My biggest problem with her blue is the scaling with covers. I see no compelling reason to boost this beyond 3 covers because the 2 turn stun is the most impressive boost. The damage is 'meh' and not terribly reliable. Stealing 4 and then 6 is good but not as big of an impact as the stun.

Green:
    Surprisingly balanced skill that follows the 4* trend of emulating 3* damage but adding more bonuses. Her green is essentially the same as KK's green but with 4x 170 special tiles on your board. This makes a lot of sense and feels like the gradual push that a 4* is expected to have.

Purple:
    This skill is flat out overpowered and will either be nerfed pre-character launch or post launch in my opinion. Unlike her green this skill doesn't follow the normal expected rules of 4*'s. Deadpool deals 4069 enemy team damage for 14 purple AP. Jean deals 3888 enemy team damage with an added kicker for only 10 purple AP. This just doesn't add up. Especially when compared to how her green compliments similar green spenders. Even in terms of 4* powers this doesn't add up. Does anyone really feel that Fury's purple is genuinely worth 12 AP compared to this?

In my opinion this skill has been pushed against the established expected balance. This won't inherently make Jean an overpowered game breaking character but I don't think that's the point. The impact of the skill means that the damage should either be lowered or the AP cost increased from 10 to 13.

Overall:
    Good character on paper and above average when compared to the existing 4*'s. I can see using her quite a bit as a 3rd for pve and shield sim. Maybe occasionally in PvP when boosted. Should be a strong addition to the game with or without a change to her purple.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Very surprised that the best part about her blue (the AoE 2-turn stun) is not locked at 5 covers. If it were, I would have no qualms to go 5/5/3 as her green is rather terrible in comparison to other green abilities and abilities costed 12. However, being as it is, the gain in 3 to 5 blue is truly negligible, so might as well make the ability that will be more useful in a pinch stronger.

5 in purple is absolutely essential. At 10 AP, I believe this is the strongest, most efficient AoE power in the game? Its damage compares favourably to Kamala's green, costs 2 less, and has the upside of clearing enemy special tiles. Too bad that she shares all colours (including passive ability) with Scarlet Witch, the most efficient purple battery.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Mind Over Matter - Cost: 10 Purple AP purpletile.png
    Jean telekinetically grabs her enemy's weapons, suspending them in mid-air before flinging them back towards her foes in a hail of projectiles. Deals 329 damage to the enemy team and converts up to 3 random enemy Strike, Protect or Attack tiles to basic tiles.

Level 2 - Deals 731 damage to the enemy team.
    Level 3 - Converts up to 4 tiles and deals 914 damage to the enemy team.
    Level 4 - Converts enemy special tiles of any type.
    Level 5 - Converts up to 6 tiles and deals 1965 damage to the enemy team.

They specify Enemy Special Tiles of any type, am i wrong to assume this will include Ultron Bombs and CD tiles since prior to 4 covers is specifies strike, protect, and attack.. also, what about traps?

Also, perfect Rainbow coverage with Cyc, looks intentional!

Any ideas if it will take care of all types of enemy tiles?