**** Jean Grey (All New X-Men) ****

Comments

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    dkffiv wrote:
    Haetron wrote:
    turul wrote:
    Just a heads up that Jean's purple got "stealth nerfed" (or i was simply faster than announcement), and is now unable to remove Ultron bomb's or any other future tiles.

Does this mean her 4th cover is now pointless? As it was the one that upgraded from Strike/Protect/Attack to all Special tiles.

CD tiles and I believe invisible + web tiles.
    Countdown and Invisibility are added, but web tiles are not. Web tiles, like charged tiles, are unowned and effect both teams equally.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2015
    my JG is 2/2/3 and I have some imcoin.png to spend for a couple covers, not enough to max her. I wouldn't anyways because every time you buy the 5th cover you roll it from a token right after, but that's not the point.

The original post with abilities is missing stats for max level 3, 4 and 5 covers so my question is:

Should I buy the 3rd and 4th purple cover? The 5th adds some damage and converts 2 more enemy tiles.

Any other suggestions are welcome. She seems to be the best 4* other than icon_ironman.png HB of course, until we see what icon_cyclops.png and icon_redhulk.png can do.

edit: found wiki link max abilities
      Mind Over Matter - Cost: 10 Purple AP purpletile.png
        Max Level 3 - Deals 1808 damage to the enemy team and converts up to 4 random enemy Strike, Protect or Attack tiles to basic tiles. Max Level 4 - Deals 2170 damage to the enemy team and converts up to 4 random enemy Strike, Protect, Attack, Invisibility or Countdown tiles to basic tiles. Max Level 5 - Deals 3888 damage to the enemy team and converts up to 6 random enemy Strike, Protect, Attack, Invisibility or Countdown tiles to basic tiles.

Psychic Feedback - Passive bluetile.png
          Max Level 3 - Destroys up to 3 AP in their strongest color, stuns the enemy team for 2 turns and deals 960 damage to them. Max Level 4 - Destroys up to 4 AP in their strongest color, stuns the enemy team for 2 turns and deals 1376 damage to them. Max Level 5 - Destroys up to 6 AP in their strongest color, stuns the enemy team for 2 turns and deals 2083 damage to them.

Full of Surprises - Cost: 12 Green AP greentile.png

Max Level 3 - Deals 1412 damage to the enemy team, then creates up to 3 random Strike, Attack or Protect tiles of strength 108. Max Level 4 - Deals 1720 damage to the enemy team, then creates up to 4 random Strike, Attack or Protect tiles of strength 144. Max Level 5 - Deals 3385 damage to the enemy team, then creates up to 4 random Strike, Attack or Protect tiles of strength 180.
        • NickHewitt12
          NickHewitt12 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
          mjh wrote:
          my JG is 2/2/3 and I have some imcoin.png to spend for a couple covers, not enough to max her. I wouldn't anyways because every time you buy the 5th cover you roll it from a token right after, but that's not the point.

The original post with abilities is missing stats for max level 3, 4 and 5 covers so my question is:

Should I buy the 3rd and 4th purple cover? The 5th adds some damage and converts 2 more enemy tiles.

Any other suggestions are welcome. She seems to be the best 4* other than icon_ironman.png HB of course, until we see what icon_cyclops.png and icon_hulk.png can do.

edit: found wiki link max abilities
            Mind Over Matter - Cost: 10 Purple AP purpletile.png
              Max Level 3 - Deals 1808 damage to the enemy team and converts up to 4 random enemy Strike, Protect or Attack tiles to basic tiles. Max Level 4 - Deals 2170 damage to the enemy team and converts up to 4 random enemy Strike, Protect, Attack, Invisibility or Countdown tiles to basic tiles. Max Level 5 - Deals 3888 damage to the enemy team and converts up to 6 random enemy Strike, Protect, Attack, Invisibility or Countdown tiles to basic tiles.

Psychic Feedback - Passive bluetile.png
                Max Level 3 - Destroys up to 3 AP in their strongest color, stuns the enemy team for 2 turns and deals 960 damage to them. Max Level 4 - Destroys up to 4 AP in their strongest color, stuns the enemy team for 2 turns and deals 1376 damage to them. Max Level 5 - Destroys up to 6 AP in their strongest color, stuns the enemy team for 2 turns and deals 2083 damage to them.

Full of Surprises - Cost: 12 Green AP greentile.png

Max Level 3 - Deals 1412 damage to the enemy team, then creates up to 3 random Strike, Attack or Protect tiles of strength 108. Max Level 4 - Deals 1720 damage to the enemy team, then creates up to 4 random Strike, Attack or Protect tiles of strength 144. Max Level 5 - Deals 3385 damage to the enemy team, then creates up to 4 random Strike, Attack or Protect tiles of strength 180.

I bought the fourth and fifth purple covers a while back, and couldn't have regretted it less. She's an absolute powerhouse, and with her being buffed in the Galactus event, you couldn't pick a better time to upgrade that power.
              • with the addition of console multiplayer, it would seem like her blue abilty will get more attention
              • TxMoose
                TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
                xzero4812 wrote:
                with the addition of console multiplayer, it would seem like her blue abilty will get more attention
                at the expense of what though? her other 2 abilities are so dang strong, not sure what I'd sacrifice. I actually have my jean up to 4/3/4 and pulled a blue, but I've pretty much decided on selling that because by the time I level her over 200, I can add the others via hp if I don't pull one soon. would anyone disagree with that? I might start a dupe jean with it. that would probably be the smartest. feels wrong to sell a consensus top 3 character in the game.
              • simonsez
                simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
                TxMoose wrote:
                I actually have my jean up to 4/3/4 and pulled a blue, but I've pretty much decided on selling that because by the time I level her over 200, I can add the others via hp if I don't pull one soon. would anyone disagree with that?
                Assuming you're using her, there's not a good reason to sell a cover you can use in the meantime.
              • Quebbster
                Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
                5/3/5 seems to be the consensus for best build... But I can't help but wonder if 5/5/3 or 3/5/5 may in fact be better. I know the increase from 3 to 5 blue is considered a low increase, but still... I don't really fear facing a 3 blue Jean in PvP. The blue backlash is just so small that it barely slows me down and I can usually kill off Jean before she fires either offensive power. A 5 blue Jean, on the other hand, can significantly dent my team health and destroy a whole lot of AP, so I can't help but wonder if the offense focused builds are missing something.
                Ah well. My Jean is currently 3/3/5, so I have a bit left to go before she's optimal anyway. icon_e_smile.gif
              • Phaserhawk
                Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
                Quebbster wrote:
                5/3/5 seems to be the consensus for best build... But I can't help but wonder if 5/5/3 or 3/5/5 may in fact be better. I know the increase from 3 to 5 blue is considered a low increase, but still... I don't really fear facing a 3 blue Jean in PvP. The blue backlash is just so small that it barely slows me down and I can usually kill off Jean before she fires either offensive power. A 5 blue Jean, on the other hand, can significantly dent my team health and destroy a whole lot of AP, so I can't help but wonder if the offense focused builds are missing something.
                Ah well. My Jean is currently 3/3/5, so I have a bit left to go before she's optimal anyway. icon_e_smile.gif

First off, 3/5/5 no way in hell. Purple is too good and so cheap that you cannot argue anything else but 5 purple. So that only leaves you with 5/5/3 or 5/3/5 because anything with 4 is bad on her.

5 blue is really only good when playing against SW or IF even LThor, but other than that, you are trading a 12AP guaranteed dmg skill for one that may or may not happing, not to mention you give up 1974 AoE on green for an additional 1125 on blue not to mention weaker tiles. If Jean Grey's blue did no dmg it's still amazing, free stun and AP drain is enough, the dmg is bonus, 5/3/5 all the way.
              • Quebbster
                Phaserhawk wrote:
                Quebbster wrote:

First off, 3/5/5 no way in hell. Purple is too good and so cheap that you cannot argue anything else but 5 purple. So that only leaves you with 5/5/3 or 5/3/5 because anything with 4 is bad on her.

5 blue is really only good when playing against SW or IF even LThor, but other than that, you are trading a 12AP guaranteed dmg skill for one that may or may not happing, not to mention you give up 1974 AoE on green for an additional 1125 on blue not to mention weaker tiles. If Jean Grey's blue did no dmg it's still amazing, free stun and AP drain is enough, the dmg is bonus, 5/3/5 all the way.
                At first I only suggested 5/5/3 as an alternative build, then I figured I better include 3/5/5 for completeness as an afterthought. icon_e_smile.gif After trying out the fifth green cover I got the other day I have to admit I like it a lot, so I'll probably go with 5/3/5 after all. 3 vs 5 blue mostly matters on PvP defense anyway, and defense doesn't win you any games...
              • hurcules
                hurcules Posts: 519
                One usual combo for JG users is save up green and purple AP so you can do Full of Surprises first then Mind Over Matter. Her special tiles created by FoS are actually quite strong (strength 180 at max). If you luck into 4 strike tiles, that's additional 720 damage per character you can dish out via Mind Over Matter.
              • Quebbster
                Got lucky and got another purple from a Taco Token. Looking at the power upgrade from 4 to 5 purple, it's very tempting to just buy the fifth cover...
              • donietsche
                donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
                Quebbster wrote:
                Got lucky and got another purple from a Taco Token. Looking at the power upgrade from 4 to 5 purple, it's very tempting to just buy the fifth cover...

It would be a very good investment. She's still a powerhouse, even considering the current power creep. She's far from being obsolete (and there are many interesting combos with newer characters which make her still relevant).
              • notamutant
                notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
                If you use her purple against XDP purple, does that activate them?
              • Polares
                Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
                notamutant wrote:

No, they are deactivated, and you are safe.
              • Quebbster
                donietsche wrote:
                Quebbster wrote:

It would be a very good investment. She's still a powerhouse, even considering the current power creep. She's far from being obsolete (and there are many interesting combos with newer characters which make her still relevant).
                Yeah, I already bought the fifth purple and have gotten much use for it.
              • notamutant
                I would hold off on buying that 5th purple for another week or so, as it may come up in the next 1k reward for her soon. Same with red HB. Not sure yet which colors they will have, but decent chance.
              • Quebbster
                OJSP wrote:
                notamutant wrote:
                I would hold off on buying that 5th purple for another week or so, as it may come up in the next 1k reward for her soon. Same with red HB. Not sure yet which colors they will have, but decent chance.
                Considering he knew/remembered that Jean's purpleflag.pngwas rewarded in Coversquirrel last season.. I think he probably guessed that the next cover won't be another purpleflag.png any time soon.. (maybe it'll be a top2 placement reward in PvE, because the last time it was her greenflag.png earlier this month)
                Yeah, I desperately needed that cover, I only had 2 purples at the time. Then I got the progression and another from the vault and boom... she's done.
                I think I like her more as a utility character in PvE though - purple wiping out countdowns is very useful. She did do well paired with Hood in Eye For An Eye too, lots of defensive wins from that combo.

Edit: Wooo, 2000th post!
              • TxMoose
                Polares wrote:
                notamutant wrote:

No, they are deactivated, and you are safe.
                but, unless it kills him you'll have 2 black cds to deal with
              • notamutant
                OJSP wrote:
                notamutant wrote:
                Considering he knew/remembered that Jean's purpleflag.pngwas rewarded in Coversquirrel last season.. I think he probably guessed that the next cover won't be another purpleflag.png any time soon.. (maybe it'll be a top2 placement reward in PvE, because the last time it was her greenflag.png earlier this month)

HB redflag.png as a reward, has been quite rare in PvPs.. It was the 1000pts reward in his introductory PvP, but for some reason, when it was due to be rewarded in subsequent events, it coincided with new characters releases : MPQ 4-Star Rotation and Predictions - Gooble spreadsheet

It's been a 1st place reward in June and August, though. It's due to be rewarded as the 1st place reward again, 2 events after Loki's (assuming Ghost Rider doesn't replace Invisible Woman).. so the next 1000 pts reward probably will be his blackflag.png . (The last time it was rewarded in PvE was in Enemy of the States last month.)

I would still wait since it is just another week or two until we will know. We don't know with 100% certainty what the rewards will be until the event prior. Why spend 2.5k hp if you might not need by waiting a week?
              • TxMoose
                case in point. bought my 5th hb red during his ddq day. if I hadn't he'd still be at 4 red. bought 5th purple and green for jean about 3 weeks ago. about 20 hrs after I pulled the trigger on her green I pulled her green from a heroic. that sucked. but have not pulled her purple and that is the big one to me. really don't regret any of those purchases - the green stung when I pulled it the next day, but can't dwell on that stuff - life's too short.