**** Jean Grey (All New X-Men) ****

David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited March 2017 in Character Details
Jean Grey (All New X-Men) icon_jeangrey.png
4 Star Rarity (legendary) Discussion link.
At Max Level: HP: 13974 Tile Damage: 09/??/73/82/64/??/3.5x
    Mind Over Matter - Cost: 10 Purple AP purpletile.png
    Jean telekinetically grabs her enemy's weapons, suspending them in mid-air before flinging them back towerds her foes in a hail of projectiles. Deals 329 damage to the enemy team and converts up to 3 random enemy Strike, Protect or Attack tiles to basic tiles.

Level 2 - Deals 731 damage to the enemy team. Level 3 - Converts up to 4 tiles and deals 914 damage to the enemy team. Level 4 - Converts enemy special tiles of any type. Level 5 - Converts up to 6 tiles and deals 1965 damage to the enemy team. Max Level - Jean telekinetically grabs her enemy’s weapons, suspending them in mid-air before flinging them back towards her foes in a hail of projectiles. Deals 3888 damage to the enemy team and converts up to 6 random enemy Strike, Protect or Attack tiles to basic tiles.

Psychic Feedback - Passive bluetile.png
      (Passive) One of the most powerful telepaths on Earth, Jean's mutant mental powers let her strike at the enemy's mind at a critical moment. When the opponent makes a Match 5, Jean destroys up to 3 AP in their strongest color, stuns the enemy team for 1 turn and deals 247 damage to them.

Level 2 - Deals 485 damage to the enemy team. Level 3 - Stuns the enemy team for 2 turns. Level 4 - Deals 695 damage to the enemy team and destroys 4 AP in their strongest color. Level 5 - Deals 1052 damage to the enemy team and destroys 6 AP in their strongest color. Max Level - (PASSIVE) One of the most powerful telepaths on Earth, Jean’s mutant mental powers let her strike at the enemy’s mind at a critical moment. When the opponent makes a Match 5, Jean destroys up to 6 AP in their strongest color, stuns the enemy team for 2 turn and deals 2083 damage to them.

Full of Surprises - Cost: 12 Green AP greentile.png
        Combining her telekinesis and telepathy, Jean taps into an all-new range of psionic powers and blasts her enemies. Deals 448 damage to the enemy team, then creates up to 2 random Strike, Attack or Protect tiles of strength 37.

Level 2 - Deals 713 damage to the enemy team. Level 3 - Creates 3 random friendly Strike, Attack or Protect tiles of Strength 56. Level 4 - Deals 869 damage to the enemy team and creates 4 random Strike, Attack or Protect tiles of strength 74. Level 5 - Deals 1710 damage to the enemy team and creates strength 93 special tiles. Max Level - Combining her telekinesis and telepathy, Jean taps into an all-new range of psionic powers and blasts her enemies. Deals 3385 damage to the enemy team, then creates up to 4 random Strike, Attack or Protect tiles of strength 180.

Original post:

MPQ fans!

We're very happy to reveal that a much-requested and long-awaited character is arriving in Marvel Puzzle Quest this week. Yeah, the title of the post kinda gave it away - it's Jean Grey (All New X-Men)!

Head on over to Marvel.com for a chat with Demiurge's Casey Malone as he reveals first details for the "battle-hardened psychic warrior." Preview screenshots and power peeks are included.

You can READ IT HERE.

PIECING TOGETHER MARVEL PUZZLE QUEST: JEAN GREY
        Quote:
        "Marvel.com: Now let's get down to the nitty-gritty. What does she do?

Casey Malone: Haha, it might be easier to answer what doesn’t she do! Jean destroys enemy special tiles, stuns, makes tiles for your team… she’s a powerful utility player who’s also great at dealing a ton of damage."
        Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Der_Lex
          Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
          A passive that hurts you when you match-5, and two actives that deal team damage, one of which zaps special tiles. Something tells me Jeanie has some unresolved anger issues towards her mentor. icon_mrgreen.gif
        • CrookedKnight
          CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
          The passive also does team damage (they specify in the interview that all of her powers do) which means invisibility will do nothing at all against her. Nifty.
        • Punisher5784
          Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
          Jean Grey paired with Loki will make you never want to match beyond 3-tiles again..
        • turul
          turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
          edited July 2015
          (moved stats post)
        • GrumpySmurf1002
          GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
          Only her green has any detail to it, so that's the one I'll wildly speculate about.

Level 1 does 448, level 2 does 713. I'm guessing there's at least one other step, plus one where damage is stagnant but the special tiles increase.

So I'm guessing level 70 it does 1802 + 75 special tiles, so maxed 3577 + 3 tiles of 149
        • CrookedKnight
          Purple: Mind Over Matter. 10 AP. Deals team damage and "gets rid of" enemy special tiles (not clear whether it destroys or merely changes to basic). Includes Countdowns at high levels.

Blue: Psychic Feedback. Passive. Deals team damage, stuns, and destroys enemy AP when the enemy team makes a match-5.

Green: Full of Surprises. 12 AP. Deals team damage and creates random friendly attack/protect/strike tiles (a la Mutagenic Breakthrough).

At full potential she's very strong, but if the enemy team isn't making special tiles or match-5s then all she can do is save up for Green. Interesting character, with a brutal passive against enemies who do move the board.
        • turul
          turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
          Question for devs:

What will happen when match5-ing with friendly ProfX, and enemy Jean Grey?

match5
          ProfX dmg
          if Jean still alive stun/dmg/etc?

Bonus question: What will happen when 2+ friendly passives launch?

match5/purple
          ProfX dmg
          Spiderman shield
          Bullseye shield
          ( Stunned ProfX improves some tiles)
        • CrookedKnight
          I'm betting that in a match-5 with Jean on one side and Charles on the other, the player's side resolves first no matter which character it is. That's how it works with mirrored Blades and Dakens, after all.
        • Malcrof
          Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
          turul wrote:
          Question for devs:

What will happen when match5-ing with friendly ProfX, and enemy Jean Grey?

match5
          ProfX dmg

Bonus question: What will happen when 2+ friendly passives launch?

match5/purple
          ProfX dmg
          Spiderman shield
          Bullseye shield
          ( Stunned ProfX improves some tiles)

Honestly don't see a situation where you will be using 2 maxed 4*s with spidey or BE.. but... if it does.. Order of Op comes into play.
        • I'm betting that in a match-5 with Jean on one side and Charles on the other, the player's side resolves first no matter which character it is. That's how it works with mirrored Blades and Dakens, after all.

This is correct.

Case of PX and Enemy Jean

Match 5 made
          PX does his psychedelic thing
          Enemy Jean slaps the **** out of PX's bald head.

Result: Jean = Anti-PX
        • Hayek
          Hayek Posts: 96 Match Maker
          edited July 2015
          I guess we'll have to see the final numbers, but in general, she looks weak to me. She's slow with no self acceleration and counters a power ( icon_professorx.pngbluetile.png) that's only deadly when used by a player. She's also a greenflag.pngpurpleflag.png filler, which is a role contested by some top tier characters like icon_ironfist.pngicon_kamalakhan.pngicon_scarletwitch.png , which accelerate blackflag.pnggreenflag.pngpurpleflag.png respectively. It's also wasteful to bring an accelerator just for her because greenflag.png accelerators tend to have excellent green powers themselves icon_thor.pngicon_kamalakhan.png , and the only decent purpleflag.png accelerator icon_scarletwitch.png shares all colors with her including passive (and has a very decent purple power herself).
        • Malcrof
          Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
          I'm betting that in a match-5 with Jean on one side and Charles on the other, the player's side resolves first no matter which character it is. That's how it works with mirrored Blades and Dakens, after all.

This is correct.

Match 5 made

We do not know her HP yet, if PX kills her with the match 5, she is about useless....
        • She's not just a counter to profx, remember all those people complaining about crazy cascades? the AI gets 5 matches all the time, often by accident. Also you can sometimes set them up and they will take them automatically. So I think that blue power is going to be pretty interesting on any team and she'll make a good counter to tile-placers as well.
        • Malcrof wrote:
          We do not know her HP yet, if PX kills her with the match 5, she is about useless....

If she has less HP than PX, I will be stunned. Let alone very disappointed.

But my proposed scenario is based on the first move and that oh so delicious match 5 right out the gate.
        • She's not just a counter to profx, remember all those people complaining about crazy cascades? the AI gets 5 matches all the time, often by accident. Also you can sometimes set them up and they will take them automatically. So I think that blue power is going to be pretty interesting on any team and she'll make a good counter to tile-placers as well.

So then she is Anti-AI. Where was she in the Ultron event. So, could have used her there.
        • wymtime
          wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
          Malcrof wrote:

This is correct.

Match 5 made

The reality is PX is primarily used in PVE so will it really matter? Unless they come out with a more Xmen PVE (Please D3, any new PVE) you are rarely going to see Jean square off against he professor unless it is in the gauntlet. The real question is will she do enough damage or put out powerful enough tiles. If the answer is no then she will be the 2nd coming of doc ock. A character that does a little of everything but nothing well. I don't think this will be the case and she will be strong since she is 4*. They will allow her to do more. I think she like PX will be a PVE beast as someone who can destroy CD tiles.
        • Malcrof wrote:

Her base HP is in the OP's link. It's 3774, the same as Starlord and Elektra, so her HP at 270 is 13934.
        • wymtime wrote:

The reality is PX is primarily used in PVE so will it really matter? Unless they come out with a more Xmen PVE (Please D3, any new PVE) you are rarely going to see Jean square off against he professor unless it is in the gauntlet. The real question is will she do enough damage or put out powerful enough tiles. If the answer is no then she will be the 2nd coming of doc ock. A character that does a little of everything but nothing well. I don't think this will be the case and she will be strong since she is 4*. They will allow her to do more. I think she like PX will be a PVE beast as someone who can destroy CD tiles.[/quote]

I have been seeing a lot of PX in my match ups recently in PVP. not sure if it is just about people testing the waters with him and the combo queens, or they legit love using him in PVP. I usually see him and say yep, my first priority is....
        • Billigoat
          Billigoat Posts: 71
          Hayek wrote:
          I guess we'll have to see the final numbers, but in general, she looks weak to me. She's slow with no self acceleration and counters a power ( icon_professorx.pngbluetile.png) that's only deadly when used by a player. She's also a greenflag.pngpurpleflag.png filler, which is a role contested by some top tier characters like icon_ironfist.pngicon_kamalakhan.pngicon_scarletwitch.png , which accelerate blackflag.pnggreenflag.pngpurpleflag.png respectively. It's also wasteful to bring an accelerator just for her because greenflag.png accelerators tend to have excellent green powers themselves icon_thor.pngicon_kamalakhan.png , and the only decent purpleflag.png accelerator icon_scarletwitch.png shares all colors with her including passive (and has a very decent purple power herself).

Sometimes I like to double up on characters who share the same colors. Think about it, if the enemy only has one character with a big greentile.png nuke, you simply match greens before they can. If the enemy has two of them and one of them has a 4* health pool, you might knock off the first one, but you're going to get hit with the second. Especially being that Kamala both accelerates and has less health, she's going to be a higher target. That leaves 4* Jean, who is very likely going to dish out a lot more damage. Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me icon_e_biggrin.gif
        • Hayek
          Hayek Posts: 96 Match Maker
          Billigoat wrote:
          Hayek wrote:

Sometimes I like to double up on characters who share the same colors. Think about it, if the enemy only has one character with a big greentile.png nuke, you simply match greens before they can. If the enemy has two of them and one of them has a 4* health pool, you might knock off the first one, but you're going to get hit with the second. Especially being that Kamala both accelerates and has less health, she's going to be a higher target. That leaves 4* Jean, who is very likely going to dish out a lot more damage. Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me icon_e_biggrin.gif

A fair point. And that's why I'm still waiting on her numbers, because for 10 and 12 ap, these abilities better pack a punch. You can put her to the double up test - assuming you want to double up on purpleflag.pnggreenflag.png , if you would rather pair icon_kamalakhan.png with icon_scarletwitch.png even despite her 4 star.png health pool, then you know she's weak.

I feel like she might turn out to be the icon_doctoroctopus.png of the 4 star.png bunch. He is amazing defense against icon_carnage.png for instance, but a huge target for every other team. Which makes him useless in PvP, since all anyone has to do is not bring a special tile spammer.