Jean Grey ...Another 4*, another 7 day event....ugh

Options

Comments

• GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think the limited resource approach is being stretched too thin

You can't have people struggling for roster space, covers, iso and hero points.
    You don't even really give people reasonable avenues to throw money down.
    I thought the free to play thing was a time money exchange but no matter which avenue you choose you still need to spend time.

Even worse buying iso is a joke because it's based on late 2 mid 3 star transition prices.

but on a positive note yay jean grey.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    She needs to be a 4* because she is the PX counter.

Obviously with power creep Phoenix is going to be 5*.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:

how can phoenix be power creep? she's phoenix
  • GurlBYE
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:

On a realer note, are there that many players with professor x covered and leveled to where this was the most needed counter in game?
  • Unknown
    Options
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:

On a realer note, are there that many players with professor x covered and leveled to where this was the most needed counter in game?
    the counter is more so d3 can say 'professor x isn't overpowered, you can use jean grey to counter him icon_e_wink.gificon_e_wink.gificon_e_wink.gificon_e_wink.gificon_e_wink.gificon_e_wink.gificon_e_wink.gificon_e_wink.gif'

and didn't have to do anything silly like balance professor x icon_cool.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Broader question is, does the AI make a match5 often enough that you're going to want to use a slot to counter it in case it does?
  • GurlBYE
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:

the counter is more so d3 can say 'professor x isn't overpowered, you can use jean grey to counter him icon_e_wink.gificon_e_wink.gificon_e_wink.gificon_e_wink.gificon_e_wink.gificon_e_wink.gificon_e_wink.gificon_e_wink.gif'

The issue with balancing the metagame around characters almost no one has up to full capability is kind of a null point.

Balancing them with another character people won't have access to isn't a solution at all.
  • Unknown
    Options
    GurlBYE wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:

The issue with balancing the metagame around characters almost no one has up to full capability is kind of a null point.

Balancing them with another character people won't have access to isn't a solution at all.
    I hope you noticed the smilies.

D3 gave us X-force(3.0?).

D3 gave us Ragnarok 3.0.

So, yeah.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    People have been asking to get chars that counter other chars instead of nerfing said chars.

I'd rather get a counter NOW instead of getting a nerf for the good Professor in six months when more people have him covered enough to use him.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    if they don't restructure they will have a very small elite group playing 4*s exclusively
    Who will pay $$$ through the nose to cover & level them, then use them to win every event they can, beating up on the 3* player base who become frustrated at the increasingly obscene PTW aspect and start quitting in droves.

We're not there yet, but it smells like we're at the beginning of it. It tends to happen to many if not all of these CCG-style games after they've been around long enough.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    if they don't restructure they will have a very small elite group playing 4*s exclusively
    Who will pay $$$ through the nose to cover & level them, then use them to win every event they can, beating up on the 3* player base who become frustrated at the increasingly obscene PTW aspect and start quitting in droves.

We're not there yet, but it smells like we're at the beginning of it. It tends to happen to many if not all of these CCG-style games after they've been around long enough.

We've already been there! Were you playing the game from Nov. 14 through March 15? Thorverine was the top team and one of those two characters was basically mandatory to score the top PvP prog reward at 1300. So there was no reliable way to get 4* covers except having 4* covers. It was bad for the game and led the major changes in march and April (thorverine nerf, revised PvP progs, health shift etc).
  • RocknRolla4IV
    Options
    I can't say anything that hasn't already been said, or any better than has already been said. As a player that is still working on his 3* roster, this direction really depressed me as a player. When I read about Jean Grey upcoming I was psyched. This was a character I had voted for, and the more I read the more excited I was to add her to my roster and start playing her. The strategies were flying around my brain. I was really looking forward to having a new character I might actually be able to use - especially seeing as so many people seem to be crying out for new 3* and in some case even 2* characters.

Seeing Jean released as 4* just sucked all that energy out of me. Now she's just another 4* to the overpopulated 'ultra rare' character pool that will largely be unattainable for a long time to come for people like me still struggling to pick up the 3* covers they want and the ISO to level them. Another one-off I pick up from punching above my weight, or blind luck that sits lonely on my roster in the vain hope that one day I might actually have enough of them to use.
  • IReallyHatePVP
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    *SNIP*

We've already been there! Were you playing the game from Nov. 14 through March 15? Thorverine was the top team and one of those two characters was basically mandatory to score the top PvP prog reward at 1300. So there was no reliable way to get 4* covers except having 4* covers.
    *SNIP*

Sad to say, this is now STILL true. Just looked at the info, and the essentials this time are going to be icon_hawkeye.png , icon_psylocke.png , and icon_ironman.png for the 4 star.png . Which leads to this simple truth:

If you don't have star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_ironman.png HB, you don't get 3 covers for the shiny new star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png.

So, it's break time for I(really)HatePVP again. 3 star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png releases in a row is 2 releases too many. Plus, including the fact above means I won't be getting three covers for top 10, I absolutely DO NOT have room for another 1 or 2 cover **** star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png character. Even in the unlikely event I were to earn 3 covers, at a that point, I would simply have to decide on if I lose my icon_thor.png with 1 redflag.png & 1 blueflag.png , or my single cover( greenflag.png ) icon_thing.png .

So I'm out. I'll keep tabs on the forums in case something gives, but as for MPQ land, I am leaving, & I'm not coming back until they release something that ISN'T a star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png whatever.

P.S.: Game designers take note: This is what happens when you do not respect power creep in your game design: You get a "legendary" Jean Grey that is not in the form of the Phoenix
  • Unknown
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    *SNIP*

We've already been there! Were you playing the game from Nov. 14 through March 15? Thorverine was the top team and one of those two characters was basically mandatory to score the top PvP prog reward at 1300. So there was no reliable way to get 4* covers except having 4* covers.
    *SNIP*

Sad to say, this is now STILL true. Just looked at the info, and the essentials this time are going to be icon_hawkeye.png , icon_psylocke.png , and icon_ironman.png for the 4 star.png . Which leads to this simple truth:

If you don't have star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_ironman.png HB, you don't get 3 covers for the shiny new star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png.

So, it's break time for I(really)HatePVP again. 3 star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png releases in a row is 2 releases too many. Plus, including the fact above means I won't be getting three covers for top 10, I absolutely DO NOT have room for another 1 or 2 cover **** star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png character. Even in the unlikely event I were to earn 3 covers, at a that point, I would simply have to decide on if I lose my icon_thor.png with 1 redflag.png & 1 blueflag.png , or my single cover( greenflag.png ) icon_thing.png .

So I'm out. I'll keep tabs on the forums in case something gives, but as for MPQ land, I am leaving, & I'm not coming back until they release something that ISN'T a star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png whatever.

P.S.: Game designers take note: This is what happens when you do not respect power creep in your game design: You get a "legendary" Jean Grey that is not in the form of the Phoenix
    phoenix is 5*
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Each PvE has a 2*, 3* and 4* essential these days, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

HB is far from the worst 4* to have picked for this event, since the Ultron event gave most players a decent chance of getting one, maybe two covers for him. He's probably the most widespread 4* out there other than the ones that have been daily rewards or Ant-Man.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    Options
    Der_Lex wrote:
    HB is far from the worst 4* to have picked for this event, since the Ultron event gave most players a decent chance of getting one, maybe two covers for him.

I doubt "most people" were in an alliance able to grind Ultron enough to get one let alone two covers.
    He's probably the most widespread 4* out there other than the ones that have been daily rewards or Ant-Man.

My money's on X-Force, the earliest 4* daily reward at 149, 165, and 180 days.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Lee T wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:
    HB is far from the worst 4* to have picked for this event, since the Ultron event gave most players a decent chance of getting one, maybe two covers for him.

I doubt "most people" were in an alliance able to grind Ultron enough to get one let alone two covers.
    He's probably the most widespread 4* out there other than the ones that have been daily rewards or Ant-Man.

u don't need a guild for Gauntlet, I'd say antman/Hulkbust are widest spread 4*

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=30176&hilit=gauntlet
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lee T wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:

Fair enough, although I'd say that most people who are serious enough about the game to care about 4* characters probably are.
    Lee T wrote:

Hence the 'other than the ones who have been daily rewards' icon_mrgreen.gif . Or Ant-Man, I'm actually really curious what amount of the player base has him in their roster. The event doesn't require an alliance and should be friendly enough scaling-wise to accomodate players with more limited rosters.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Der_Lex wrote:
    Lee T wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:

Fair enough, although I'd say that most people who are serious enough about the game to care about 4* characters probably are.

It's good to have even if you're not a t100 player. One cover of each is enough to open the PVE fearured 4* node.
    Der_Lex wrote:
    Lee T wrote:

Hence the 'other than the ones who have been daily rewards' icon_mrgreen.gif . Or Ant-Man, I'm actually really curious what amount of the player base has him in their roster. The event doesn't require an alliance and should be friendly enough scaling-wise to accomodate players with more limited rosters.

Sorry, brain skip. Then yes, it's probably one of the more common among the non gifted, but I'm still doubtfull about "most player" having it though.
    raisinbman wrote:
    Lee T wrote:
    u don't need a guild for Gauntlet, I'd say antman/Hulkbust are widest spread 4*

Sorry but "most player" is not what I would use to qualify the people who can get to the end of a gauntlet.

NB : I do have HB and have no problem with it being required in this particular event, my post is a comment, not a complaint.
  • GurlBYE
    Options
    When you say most do realize the forums represent a vocal minority.