Jean Grey ...Another 4*, another 7 day event....ugh

Options

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    4* transition is a real thing now. I am sure it will get even better the more that come out.. the only thing they have NEVER addressed is the iso shortage.

The problem is the "4* transition" is "look, you can get 4*'s each PVP at 1K!". So let's say you hit each of those for a season (10), plus the one at 2K sim (11), plus the one for the season reward (12). Twelve 4*'s to get each season (maybe +1, if you are lucky enough to pull one extra 4* each season through tokens). Except there are thirteen (not counting DD) 4*'s available with Jean: so you won't even one cover for each per season at the current rate. You need 169 covers to cover them all - 14 seasons, if you got 12 covers each season that you didn't already have.

If they "slow down" and release -ONE- 4* a month, here is your trend:
    # of 4*'s/# of total needed covers/# of months to cover if you get 12 each season.
    13/169/14 (Jean/July)
    14/182/15 (August 2015 - Nov 2016)
    15/195/16 (September 2015 - Jan 2017)
    16/208/17 (October 2015 - Mar 2017)
    17/221/18 (November 2015 - May 2017)

But the covers rotate color/character often, so it's not like you can "stock up" on the best one and use it to get the others...you'll end up with a bunch of 3/3/4 mostly worthless 4*'s in twelve months. This is not easier than the 3* transition!

God forbid I try to add up the roster slot HP you'll need for these, much less the ISO to level them.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It would be fine if the only ways to get 4* covers wasn't one of 3 very unattractive options.

#1: Grind for 7 days straight for top placement during release. Better not slip up, not even once, or you get nothing sucka! Even if you accomplish this, the best you get is 5/13.

#2: Buy them. $20 ea. Great deal. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Even if you go this route, you have to find one of each color first.

#3: Hit 1,000 or 1,300 in PvP. This is the best option, but now that we have so many 4*s, the time frame for the one(s) you need coming up in rotation just keeps getting longer and longer...

No one wants to roster a character that is unusable for months on end. If the new landscape of the game is going to be nothing but new 4* characters, then we need to address the rarity of them:

Start putting them as placement awards in Versus - t2 get 2 4* covers, t10 gets one. Then move the 3* cover placements back (t20 gets 3, t50 gets 2, t100 gets one)
    Start putting them as placement awards in Story - Same structure as above.
    Start putting one as a final progression in Story events. This is long overdue anyway, as anyone actually trying for top placement hits the final progression within the first few days of any given story event.
    Up the odds in token packs. Honestly, at this point, we could probably just do away with 2*s in event tokens. Leave them in the Heroics, but special event tokens could just be 3*s and 4*s.

4*s are the future of the game. And that's fine. But without a way to actually GET them and USE them consistently, the future is bleak...
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    634c7c77f0bed385a99710088f82b4ef.jpg
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    4* transition is not supposed to be an overnight thing (unless you are a whale). It is supposed to keep you playing for a year or so more..

That said, it would be nice to have more ways to get them, i have 20+ fully covered 3*s, 7 of which are at 166, and i still can't hit 1k in PVP (i may just not be any good at it?) but can hit the 7500 progression for the season, and i got the 2k shield sim award...

There has to be another way to get them, not everyone can do PVP all the time
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    will this be a progression or placement reward? maybe I missed that
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Jam_Adams wrote:
    will this be a progression or placement reward? maybe I missed that

She will be placement, like Ant-Man in EoTS
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tanis3303 wrote:
    It would be fine if the only ways to get 4* covers wasn't one of 3 very unattractive options.

#1: Grind for 7 days straight for top placement during release. Better not slip up, not even once, or you get nothing sucka! Even if you accomplish this, the best you get is 5/13.

#2: Buy them. $20 ea. Great deal. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Even if you go this route, you have to find one of each color first.

#3: Hit 1,000 or 1,300 in PvP. This is the best option, but now that we have so many 4*s, the time frame for the one(s) you need coming up in rotation just keeps getting longer and longer...

#4: Win the Vault lottery!
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    wow, OK

I don't mind a 7-day grind for a guaranteed reward (i.e. progression)

but I don't know if I want to grind 7 days against all you people in order to maybe get her cover

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    4* placement in PvP needs to be expanded, new release characters going to #1 only is a outdated system

1: 4* cover + previous tier
    2-5: all 3 covers
    6-20: 2 covers
    21-50: 1 cover
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Cabol wrote:
    Sooooo.... when are they going to make it easier for people to get 4* covers since that's all that's getting released now?

Also, when are they going to lower the cost of roster spots? With 2, 3, and 4 star characters begin required in every PvE selling lower star characters to make room for 3 or 4 star characters doesn't make sense.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    when will you guys learn more characters are not good. As previously mentioned over 1/2 the ppl have 6 or less cover guys sitting there useless. This needs addressing before releasing more characters
  • Malcrof
    Options
    i am about to become the ultimate hypocrite. I have plans this weekend, so grinding to near 300k like i did in EoTS is out, and anyone who saw the thread, saw me complain about people joining last day, getting fresh brackets and winning 3 covers by grinding for a whopping 2 hours, while some of us who forgot our names and shunned any semblance of a social life, struggled to get 2.

Sorry Jean, i may end up trying to last minute this.. unless the iso in the PVE is too good to pass up.. but i am not ever again going to be setting my clocks and losing sleep or saying no to social outings for a 7 day grind again.

3 or 4 day, sure, my wife can live without me for 1 day on the weekend or something, but 7 days has officially become too much for me.

now watch, i will be my usual lemming self and try to get a bazillion points anyway even though i am clearly stating i won't, a double hypocrite.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tanis3303 wrote:
    Wow a lot of 4*'s are being released. Think Bullseye was the last 3* release and he was not exactly.. good.

There has to be a plan for earning 4*'s easier in the next Q&A.

There already is. Grind for 7 days straight, then spend $300 on covers. Viola! icon_evil.gif

Sorry, I'm bitter...seeing yet another 4* character, and one that actually looks like fun to play, but who will sit with 1-3 covers on my roster for ~6 months, represented by yet another horrible 7 day slog has me re-evaluating my relationship with/desire to play this game...

GrumpySmurf echoes my thoughts above once again, hilarious!

Right on with Tanis here as well. Here is JG on my roster for awhile (cover number)

(1) - Join late in PVE (if lucky)
    (2) - Season reward (Maybe? They are falling behind, with Thing/Ant-Man/Jean all now needed as season rewards)
    (3) - Season 15 1K progression.
    (4) - Season 16 1K progression.
    (5) - Season 17 1K progression.
    (6) - Season 19 1K progression. Yeah, by season 18 with only one more 4* added a month there will be 17 now with only 10 PVP events per season...so you'll have to start assuming you'll only get two covers every three seasons.
    (7) - Season 20 1K progression
    (8) - Season 21 2K sim progression (though this will be one of 19 3*'s now, so who knows if it gets a turn.)
    (9) - Season 22 1K progression
    (10) - Season 23 1K progession

Look at that, in only eight seasons you'll have....an unusable 3/3/4, if you can 1K all the time. That you have to pay HP to put on your roster and keep there the whole time, and are forced to use under-covered in PVE, and skip using in PVP even when boosted (if you had the ISO to level it) since under-covered is begging to be beaten.

And this is assuming you have a near fully transitioned 3* roster already, to get those 1K's! It's not like it's one year to get to 4* land....it's a year plus your 3* heavily-transitioned time (around another year).

Like others have said here and elsewhere - if 4*'s are going to be released left and right, then they ARE NOT RARE. There will soon be more of them than 2*'s in the game. There needs to be a better transition plan, they need to be obtainable more quickly.

And once again - as you add characters the game needs to scale up HP needed to add them to roster and ISO needed to level them.
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Add me to those tired of the current ratio of 3*/4* releases.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2015
    Options
    <snip> Moved to its own thread.
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't know why Thing got a nice 3 day event, but Jean Grey has to go 7! UGH! On top of that, isn't this going to overlap with the new season for PVP? That adds that much more of a challenge for players to juggle along with keeping up with DDQ. I wish D3 would end the Ant-Man event sooner, or give players the option to dismiss it, and introduce a similar event for Jean Grey. I just wish 7 day events would become a thing of the past. I don't anyone who's a fan!
  • Unknown
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    So....3* characters don't exist anymore?

Or is it that 4* characters aren't considered rare? This is the fourth character release in a row that is 4* right? So we need to start seeing these released as T100 in PVP's and 2% chances in tokens now?
    age of 4* characters I called it viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31292
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm seriously starting to think it's time to drop to a casual alliance. The 3* transition was fun. The 4* transition isn't; it takes forever and is endlessly frustrating.
  • Unknown
    Options
    age of 4* characters I called it
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,234 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Will she only be the HULK reward or other ways to get her.... You should of bring back ultron....7 days to get ant man 2 weeks ago and you want me to do another 7... PASS