** Captain America (Steve Rogers) **

Options

Comments

• Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Celerity wrote:
    I've got a Captain America at 3/1/3 and I have two yellow covers that I was wondering if I should apply or sell. They're good for another 5 days if there's any restructuring about to happen to him.

Since respec should be here within a week or so, there's no reason to hold onto covers. You'll be able to replace the yellows with reds or whatever if you want to do so in the future.

For my part, I still believe 5/5/3 is just the best build, since the red is enough to get rid of countdown tiles, and stunning + removing countdown tiles is redundant. The yellow ability is too expensive for most fights, but the same could be said of The Hood and most people still put 5 into his yellow because it's incredibly bad without 5. Same for Cap: his yellow goes from being overcosted and awful to overcosted but useful.

Cap is one of those few characters that almost any build is viable. 3/5/5, 5/3/5, 5/5/3, 5/4/4, 4/4/5, 4/5/4 either works. The arguement I would disagree is when people say I go 3/5/5 so i can target any tile multiple ways, if you read the discription, about the only thing you can't target from lvl 4 to lvl 5 is enviornmental tiles, before lvl 5 you can target, strike, protect, attack, web. So basically, the only tiles you have an issue with, where 3/5/5 is when you have to deal with the Invisible woman or countdown tiles, then you want that, but really the majority of the time, you are dealing with strike tiles or defensive tiles, or attack tiles.

I went 5/3/5 because I like the stun lockdown, but 5/5/3 is a great damage dealer, and 3/5/5 is great for pinpoint tile destruction. 5/4/4 is the most balanced but...if you get into countdown tiles, (which this game is moving towards) I see this build slowly losing some of it's power. In the end, what they need to do is tweak Cap and make him a little more viable, I would love to play him more as a tank, but he's way too slow and not tanky enough. Yellow is the ability in most need of AP reduction, and red and blue are okay, but the countdown timers need to be 2 not 3. You drop Yellow to 15 AP, and drop the countdown tiles to 2 and not 3 and Captain becomes a very useful and balanced character
  • I agree with the better part of the community that his yellow is too darn expensive. I also wish his red did a bit more damage. I have it at rank 5 near level 50 and feels just right when he's buffed doing about 600 but the 230 under normal conditions is just too weak for the AP cost.
  • Lvl 60 3/5/5 I really only use him when hes buffed.. Other than the yellow high cost it is actually a good move.. Each protect tile blocks about 150.. (buffed) I made the mistake of selling my Thor and so hes the only one I have that uses yellow.. Kinda my Storm stun back up plus hes not a bad tank either..
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Celerity wrote:
    I've got a Captain America at 3/1/3 and I have two yellow covers that I was wondering if I should apply or sell. They're good for another 5 days if there's any restructuring about to happen to him.

Since respec should be here within a week or so, there's no reason to hold onto covers. You'll be able to replace the yellows with reds or whatever if you want to do so in the future.

For my part, I still believe 5/5/3 is just the best build, since the red is enough to get rid of countdown tiles, and stunning + removing countdown tiles is redundant. The yellow ability is too expensive for most fights, but the same could be said of The Hood and most people still put 5 into his yellow because it's incredibly bad without 5. Same for Cap: his yellow goes from being overcosted and awful to overcosted but useful.

I think I will have to agree with you. My Cap is currently 5/3/5 and your right, If I've stunned the character I don't need to destroy the tile, So I think I will be respecing to that but I have been toying around with 4/5/4 as another possibility. The question to ask, is it worth losing one protect tile to have 2 more AP returned?

Anyway here are my choices in leaving 5/3/5--Good defensive build, but very slow and redundant

5/5/3--More useful red and faster to spam, less reliable blue (but opposite is true for 5/3/5 build)
    4/5/4--Better return on blue but one less yellow tile
    3/5/5--Better at spaming and destroying tiles but you give up on yellow

What do you think my better options are.
  • Hood has a different excuse in that lvl5 Intimidation is terrible. Besides 15 vs 19 is pretty big difference still (2 more matches if not more since Hood's passive can generate AP).

Cap has pretty even lvl5s across the board. Personally I think 3/5/5 is more practical. I think 5/5/3 is better in a few situations, so it depends if you want versatility or minmax for specialized situations.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Should I spend any ISO on my 35-ish Cap? Almost cover capped (4-4-4), I will be going 3-5-5 as soon as I get more covers, I guess. He tanked decently in a recent mission where he's required, against lvl 202 Venom's bite (thanks to shields & buff, and at this low level). But then he died anyway to Moonstone's red, but that red was overkill.
    I don't have ISO right now but I tend to spend some here and there. My other character in need of ISO is cMag (2-2-1) who I almost see using over MMN in the current tourney, but my MMN is already slightly more leveled and does more damage.
  • paralistalon
    Options
    My Cap is currently 3-5-5 (max red and blue). I think I'm going to respec to 5-5-3. His blue is just sooooo bad that I never use it ever! A 2-turn stun for 12 blue AP and no damage? I could use Storm's blue to stun the target for twice as long and deal over a thousand damage to the entire team. I used to love him back in the prologue missions against the single opponent bosses, but now he's lackluster even with the event buff.
  • My Cap is currently 3-5-5 (max red and blue). I think I'm going to respec to 5-5-3. His blue is just sooooo bad that I never use it ever! A 2-turn stun for 12 blue AP and no damage? I could use Storm's blue to stun the target for twice as long and deal over a thousand damage to the entire team. I used to love him back in the prologue missions against the single opponent bosses, but now he's lackluster even with the event buff.

I had a 5/5/3 Cap. I sold him and got a 3/5/5 Cap instead.

Look, it's a matter of practicality. How often do you think you will get 19 AP? In less than 1/5 of the battles can I get that amount before the battle ends. Even if I intentionally try to get every Yellow matching possible, it will still be very difficult.

Trust me, your 3/5/5 is good. Unless they funbalance him (who am I kidding?), 3/5/5 will be the most practical for a long time to come.

Some guy said that you shouldn't bring Cap to a battle you can't get 19 yellow AP.

My answer is that if you can get 19 AP of a single color that easily, then go and use Grey Widow instead. 19 Green AP for almost team kill.

If it were that easy, EVERY team would be a 141 Grey Widow.
  • 19 green is way easier to generate.
  • I think half the time I've used Cap's yellow it's to generate the yellow tiles to make a 5+ match to finish off the last opponent. It tends to come so late in the match that using it as defensive tiles, as good as they are, rarely pays off for me.
  • paralistalon
    Options
    I'm always surprised when I end up with 19 yellow, but it does happen, usually unexpectedly after a freak cascade or fun times with storm's lightning storm and not having a character with a yellow skill. By that time, it feels like the yellow ability is more of a bonus than anything game-changing, and I usually just blow it to make a 5-match. However, I still use it more than I use peacemaker... such a weak, overcosted skill. Even with 3 peacemaker tiles active, you still can't completely lock down the opposing team, and it can be disrupted way too easily... and that's assuming you got a whopping 36 blue AP! I think he's really only useful as a meat shield in events where he's boosted. For fighting PVE countdown mobs, I'd pick classic Hawkeye over Cap any day. But I appreciate your point of view since you've played with both setups. Sadly, Captain America is one of the weakest characters, perhaps even the worst 2-star besides bagman IMO.

Although, with the number of Cap covers i've been getting, if I had the space, I would just make one of each!
  • All of the people downplaying cap's blue are right, based on the way they describe it. However, all of them ignore the 'return 10 ap' part of it. His blue isn't really 12 ap. It's 2 ap in terms of actual cost, only 12 if you the tile is matched away.

I've been playing a L56 3/5/5 cap in the pve events and he's been a lifesaver (with the buff, he's basically a non-buffed 85). The big change from 4 --> 5 isn't the ability to target environment tiles, but countdown tiles. Those aren't prevalent in pvp, but in pve it's fantastic.

Why do you need blue when you've got red at 5 to destroy countdowns? I dunno, maybe because you don't always have an unlimited number of ap in the colour you need?

I agree I'd use Storm over cap in pvp, though. He's just too slow in that environment, but I've had a lot of success running widow/hood/cap as a 'PvE lockdown team'. Steal their ap, use it against them and destroy every thing they try to do with cap's shields.

That said, please everyone keep ****, I'd love him to be buffed.
  • I initially was disgusted by Cappy. But after being forced to use him for a while, I found that he shines against Minions. Assuming you have 3/5/5.

I have him at lv 6. 3/5/5. I never saw the need to raise him beyond that. I let him use the Red and Blue powers, locking down the countdown tiles while the rest of my team does the work.

His blue, stuns the opponent, while removing a countdown. That effectively slows down him by 5 turns, and only costs you 2 AP, if it isn't matched.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Ruval wrote:
    All of the people downplaying cap's blue are right, based on the way they describe it. However, all of them ignore the 'return 10 ap' part of it. His blue isn't really 12 ap. It's 2 ap in terms of actual cost, only 12 if you the tile is matched away.

I've been playing a L56 3/5/5 cap in the pve events and he's been a lifesaver (with the buff, he's basically a non-buffed 85). The big change from 4 --> 5 isn't the ability to target environment tiles, but countdown tiles. Those aren't prevalent in pvp, but in pve it's fantastic.

Why do you need blue when you've got red at 5 to destroy countdowns? I dunno, maybe because you don't always have an unlimited number of ap in the colour you need?

I agree I'd use Storm over cap in pvp, though. He's just too slow in that environment, but I've had a lot of success running widow/hood/cap as a 'PvE lockdown team'. Steal their ap, use it against them and destroy every thing they try to do with cap's shields.

That said, please everyone keep ****, I'd love him to be buffed.

Having recently respeced my 5/3/5 Captain to 5/5/3 I'm super happy with that change, but I have been eyeing the 3/5/5 build. I guess it comes down to how you want to use cappy's yellow. If you really want to use it as a shield for damage, then yeah, you are going to want lvl 5 the diff between lvl 5 and lvl 3 is you get one more shield and the protect is 150 at lvl 5 to around 120 at lvl 3. If you plan on using yellow as a damage source for an extra turn (use the 3 to match to 2 and get extra turn) or you just need some extra protection, then yeah, 3/5/5 may be the way to go. As is, I'm never, never, ever going to use him in PvP, my other charactes are too strong and unless his funbalance is massive, I think I may take my 5/5/3 to 3/5/5 as a 3/5/5 captain, is awesome in pve you do lock a team down and can destroy a lot of cd tiles
  • I got my Cap at 5/3/3 just waiting on the last few covers but am torn- his yellow is his only ability that is actually decent, and his other 2 are pve trash. The arguments behind 5/5/3 make sense to me but my OCD makes me wanna go 5/4/4 icon_e_wink.gif
  • I am very happy with 3/5/5 build for this lazythor PVE event, and no worry about countdown title when them line with red/blue.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    I had my Cap at 5/3/5, then respeced to 5/5/3, and then to 3/5/5. In the current state of the game, 3/5/5 is the best build. I've tried them all, and you rarely get yellow, and when you do, 3 protect tiles is more than enough defense, and more than enogh offense to create a 5 tile match.
  • I was thinking of respecing Cap to 3/5/5 due to the ability to overwrite countdowns, but believe it or not the yellows have been useful as defense and not just for a giant cascade.

Several times Ive been in desperate last minute matches before tournaments end with Cap as one of my only fully healed options to use. Place those protect tiles in spots where theyll NEVER get matched and your shrugging off 750 damage per attack. Regular matches do nothing at that point, and a 750 reduction from AP attacks is pretty decent too. Coupled with Caps above average 2* HP and you can tank a fair amount of hits while stunning the opponent/accumulating tons of AP with his red attack and using it continuously. Play it right and he can take hits and dish out a 600 damage attack every other turn. Its worked quite well for me before
  • Bygix wrote:
    I was thinking of respecing Cap to 3/5/5 due to the ability to overwrite countdowns, but believe it or not the yellows have been useful as defense and not just for a giant cascade.

Several times Ive been in desperate last minute matches before tournaments end with Cap as one of my only fully healed options to use. Place those protect tiles in spots where theyll NEVER get matched and your shrugging off 750 damage per attack. Regular matches do nothing at that point, and a 750 reduction from AP attacks is pretty decent too. Coupled with Caps above average 2* HP and you can tank a fair amount of hits while stunning the opponent/accumulating tons of AP with his red attack and using it continuously. Play it right and he can take hits and dish out a 600 damage attack every other turn. Its worked quite well for me before

the fact is 3 on yellow defense title already good enough(after last patch), 5 are overkill.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Here, go watch the first 11 minutes of CA:TWS

http://vk.com/video-28416224_167941015? ... 09e2eaf6a2